PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with new players

Xyk
2010-09-04, 06:53 PM
Mine was quite positive today. I ran a game for 3 brand new players. One plays WoW, one played Diablo 2 in the past, and one played D&D a long time ago. They were a good friend (long time ago D&D guy), his friend (WoW), and the kid who sits next to me in my Piano class (diablo).

They made a halfling rogue, an elf sorcerer, and a human paladin of Heironeous.

Honestly, since my old group disbanded in January thanks to really busy schedules and constant distraction, I was skeptical. But everyone was really focused and learned really quickly. It went well.

How were some of your new players their first time? Any funny stories?

darkpuppy
2010-09-04, 07:16 PM
Oh, gawd, first times with groups can be... well, they can be a whole subset of funny stories all by themselves, y'know?

My first experiences GMing with BURPS were hilarious, but never more so than the one liner dropped when creating characters for Werewolf: Wild West. Matt, a friend of mine who'd just gotten into roleplaying, took one look at the character sheet, and asked "Animal Ken? Isn't that a bit like Subhuman Barbie?"... naturally, the game paused for a good ten minutes while we all laughed about that one.

But, to be honest, most of the fun generally happens when the group gets their game on. Like the time the entire party self-TPKed.

Greenish
2010-09-04, 07:22 PM
But everyone was really focused and learned really quickly. It went well.It is as they say, the best stories are those of troubles and adversity. :smallamused:

big teej
2010-09-05, 12:00 AM
I'm currently working on putting a group together at my college (as there seems to be no existing group to be found)

I shall post here how that goes after first gaming session...... or the 2nd if the first is entirly spent on creation.

Xyk
2010-09-05, 12:07 AM
Oh yeah, character creation took longer than I was used to. It took way too long. Like over an hour and a half.

Shpadoinkle
2010-09-05, 12:32 AM
Oh yeah, character creation took longer than I was used to. It took way too long. Like over an hour and a half.

Yeah... if the entire group besides you is new to the system, don't expect to get much beyond character creation done in the first session unless you've got all night.

Reynard
2010-09-05, 10:43 AM
Currently playing with a newbie whose whole attitude during the games is seriously getting on my nerves. When it was pointed out that his char is very, very vulnerable to will saves, and that he could easily be made to attack the rest of the party, said "just as long as i get to bisect some people, lol".

He also whines about the game not being exciting enough during bits where we're finding out Plot and doing general role-play. He just wants to hack things up and take their stuff. It's a city-based campaign.

swagmanabz
2010-09-05, 11:01 AM
I recently began to DM for 3 of my good freinds who never played the game before. It was great beacuse i skimmid through the PB with them and made sure they understood the correct way to play the game IE- trying to be a munchkin, doing things out of charecter, and more

PS: this was my first post SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE