PDA

View Full Version : phoenix familar

nysisobli
2010-09-04, 07:05 PM
Any chance i could get one to help me design one? A player really wanted one and we are at level 4, we are starting in 3 hours. =) please anyone?

LOTRfan
2010-09-04, 07:07 PM
I assume you don't want the epic CR phoenix? I'll have one posted for you shortly (just what type of bonus do you want?

nysisobli
2010-09-04, 07:09 PM
Hmm i guess hp would probably be the ideal thing =) and thank you!

LOTRfan
2010-09-04, 07:12 PM
You want the phoenix to give the spellcaster a bonus to HP? I'm not sure how that would balance with the other familiars, but you're in charge here. How high do you want the bonus?

nysisobli
2010-09-04, 07:17 PM
5 i would imagine, since the toad gives bonus Hp, and this is a beast of legends, so 5 doesn't seem to be to bad

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-09-04, 07:20 PM
You want the phoenix to give the spellcaster a bonus to HP? I'm not sure how that would balance with the other familiars, but you're in charge here. How high do you want the bonus?

A alternate thought: perhaps the Pheonix can, once per day, cause an damage-dealing attack that would kill its master (or bring the master to negative hp) to instead bring the master to 1 hit point/level (healing as necessary)? Seems like that fits the theme better.

In fact, I'd toss a similar ability on an eagle or Hawk familiar (so master and familiar gain the same ability), maybe give it fire resistance, and call it a day.

nysisobli
2010-09-04, 07:21 PM
thats a great idea!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-09-04, 07:21 PM
thats a great idea!

Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Edited it with how to incorporate it to an existing animal.

LOTRfan
2010-09-04, 07:23 PM
Or yeah, I forgot. Almost done. Do you want fluff, or is crunch enough?

Edit: Read the posts above. That would probably be the easiest thing to do. :smallsmile:

nysisobli
2010-09-04, 07:24 PM
Crunch is fine =)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-09-04, 07:28 PM
Yeah. Take an Eagle, give it 1 point of Fire damage on all attacks, Fire Resistance 10, and the ability I mentioned above. Perhaps require the Improved Familiar feat, as the ability is powerful, but it depends on your campaign's power level.

LOTRfan
2010-09-04, 07:37 PM
Lesser Phoenix
Tiny Magical Beast
Hit Die: ½ d10 (2 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 5 ft., Fly 20 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (+2 size, +4 Dex, +1 natural, +1 Deflection), touch 7, flat footed 4
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-9
Attack: Claw +0 melee (1d4-1 damage)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +0 melee (1d4-1 damage), or Bite +0 melee (1d6-1 damage)
Space/Reach: 2 ½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: -----
Special Qualities: Immolation, Fire Resistance 10
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +0
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 5, Wis 11, Cha 16
Skills: Spot +2, Listen +2
Feats: Flyby Attack
Environment: Warm Deserts
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 1-2 HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: -----

Immolation (Su): When a Lesser Phoenix approaches death, a Lesser Phoenix may immolate itself as a full round action. This causes a cloud of fire that is 10 ft. high and has a 5 ft. radius spread. Anyone caught in the burst receives 2d6 fire damage. Reflex save DC 11 for half damage. This kills the original bird, but a new one rises out of the ashes in 1d4 rounds.

As a familiar
As a familiar, a Lesser Phoenix grants the ability to automatically give his master 2 HP/level when an enemy would have otherwise brought him to -10 Hit Points. If it uses its immolation power, the Wizard gains the new phoenix as a familiar as opposed to waiting a year and a day. The sorcerer still must make a Fortitude save, but the XP loss is now instead 100. Success halves that damage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this helps. :smallsmile:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-09-04, 07:43 PM
As a familiar
As a familiar, a Lesser Phoenix can once per day attack its owner with its bite attack to instead heal its master to a total of 2 Hit Points/level. This effect only occurs if the attack would have otherwise struck a killing blow.

Don't make this require a bite attack...make it automatic. Otherwise it's much, much weaker, as the bird has to be next to you, and have an action available.

Otherwise, this familiar may be weak enough to not require a feat. My suggestion probably still would.

Temotei
2010-09-04, 07:43 PM
Immolation (Su): When a Lesser Phoenix approaches death, a Lesser Phoenix may immolate itself as a full round action. This causes a cloud of fire that is 10 ft. high and has a 5 ft. radius spread. Anyone caught in the burst receives 2d6 fire damage. Reflex save DC 11.

Does making a successful save halve the damage taken or completely negate it? Something else?

Does this ability damage the phoenix if the roll result is 11 or 12? Does this instantly kill the phoenix? What's the definition of approaching death? Negative hp?

As a familiar
As a familiar, a Lesser Phoenix can once per day attack its owner with its bite attack to instead heal its master to a total of 2 Hit Points/level. This effect only occurs if the attack would have otherwise struck a killing blow.

So, the phoenix can bite the owner once per day if the bite would normally kill said owner, healing them for 2 - 40 hp? What action does this take? An immediate action? A free action? No action (i.e. Free, but whenever)?

Don't make this require a bite attack...make it automatic. Otherwise it's much, much weaker, as the bird has to be next to you, and have an action available.

Otherwise, this familiar may be weak enough to not require a feat. My suggestion probably still would.

Actually, the phoenix would have to be in the same square as you, since it's tiny. :smallsigh:

Also (Djinn): Go check the list on the Phoenix Magazine thread. :smalltongue:

LOTRfan
2010-09-04, 07:46 PM

Will be fixed in one second.

Does making a successful save halve the damage taken or completely negate it? Something else?

Does this ability damage the phoenix if the roll result is 11 or 12? Does this instantly kill the phoenix? What's the definition of approaching death? Negative hp?

So, the phoenix can bite the owner once per day if the bite would normally kill said owner, healing them for 2 - 40 hp? What action does this take? An immediate action? A free action? No action (i.e. Free, but whenever)?

Actually, the phoenix would have to be in the same square as you, since it's tiny. :smallsigh:

Also (Djinn): Go check the list on the Phoenix Magazine thread. :smalltongue:

Its now going to be an automatic action.

I typed up immolation quickly, that will be fixed soon too.