PDA

View Full Version : Developing a Homebrew

DragonRook13
2010-09-04, 08:09 PM
I'm designing a tabletop RPG the uses a d% system. I already have developed a few things, and am mainly looking for critique, and a little help finishing it. It's set in a post-apocalyptic Earth. The nuclear apocalypse has destroyed a lot of technology, but has brought psychic abilities with it. Now, in order to survive, people must rely on their weapon talents, psychic abilities, or perhaps a little bit of both.

Characters in this game do have levels, and each level they get an amount of points that can be used to increase their proficiency with weapons or psychic weapons, and an amount of points that can be used to increase their abilities in non-combat skills (the latter of which is akin to earlier editions of D&D). Characters gain skill points at first level by using the following formula:
(Intellect + Strength) x 2. Every level after that, characters gain skill points according to this formula : 2 + Intellect or Strength.
Instead of classes, each character has the option of choosing a class template. These templates are not mandatory, but they do give advice on which skills you should invest in, as well on how to role play a character who follows the template. Also, at first level, characters can choose a number of traits, as well as a number of talents at every level (kind of like feats).

For character creation, players roll 1d6 for each of their stats. The stats are strength, dexterity, intellect, and courage. Strength affects the characters ability to manipulate things, and their ability with melee weapons. Dexterity affects the character's agility, and ability with ranged weapons. Intellect affects the character's learning capacity, and ability with psychic weapons. Courage is a more abstract stat that works mainly like Initiative. I haven't completely decided on how HP is gained.

Combat generally works the same whether you're using physical weapons or psychic weapons. Each weapon has a range of success based on how proficient you are with it. After rolling the d%, you subtract your appropriate stat from the roll (the goal is to get as close to 00 as possible), and then add your target's appropriate defense modifier to that. If the result is within your weapon's range of success, you hit the target, and then roll the damage dice as appropriate. A natural 00 is considered a critical hit, causing maximum damage. A natural 99 is considered a critical miss, causing no damage.

I don't think I'm forgetting anything about what I've done so far. I look forward to your critiques, and any help you can give me. It is much appreciated.

FlamingKobold
2010-09-04, 08:50 PM
You only waited 15 minutes to bump it... :smallconfused: Generally on the boards you should wait at least a day or two.

That said, it sounds pretty interesting, if generic, but we need more info to really critique anything.

DragonRook13
2010-09-04, 09:48 PM
sorry! This being my first thread here, I got a little anxious. Never was the type who could stand for much waiting, either. On other sites, where I've posted before, responses usually come within the first 5.

In any case, what I posted was the general overview for what I've been planning, so I guess it did look pretty generic. But it also is the first time I've actually developed my own RPG.

As for more info, here're my current weapon lists.
Melee Weapons
Knife
Starting Success Range: 00-54
Starting Damage Die: d4
Club
00-51
d6
Brass Knuckles
00-51
d6
Ax
00-47
d8
Whip
00-54
d4
Sledgehammer
00-47
2d4

Ranged Weapons
Pistol
00-51
d6
Shotgun
00-47
2d4
Machine Gun
00-51
d4

Psychic Weapons
Psi Fist
00-49
d6
Mind Claw
00-45
2d4

These lists are no where near done, and all things listed here are up for change later. Also, I haven't listed any special properties that these weapons may or may not have (mainly because I haven't completely thought them up yet). Suggestions are always valued, though.

I plan on giving each character a starting speed of 6 squares, no bonuses or penalties to stats, and English as a starting language.

As most of this game has actually been explained in the first post, I'm not too sure what else to add. To be quite honest, this is actually a project I started a few weeks ago, and it took me that long to get this far.