PDA

View Full Version : Gaining Infernal Wound?

Dragannia
2010-09-04, 08:16 PM
I'm trying to build a characte that relies on essentially bleeding damage and mobility to kill his enemies. Now the Infernal Wound ability of the Bearded Devil fits it perfectly, but what are the ways of obtaining it short of assume supernatural ability and polymorph? I'm thinking along the lines of items, templates and such. I know there's the Infernal Wound spell, but that lasts only for 1 round/level and I don't think I can take Persistent Spell so unless there's another way for it to be applied to your character (who isn't a spellcaster) I'm out of luck there.

On that note, are there other sources of bleeding? I've got Implacable from the MiC and Implacable Blade from Explorer's Handbook. I know of the sneak attack substitute, 1d6 for 1 bleeding damage, and there's the ToB prestige class that has a few points of non-stacking bleeding, but anything else?

Jack_Simth
2010-09-04, 08:33 PM
I'm trying to build a characte that relies on essentially bleeding damage and mobility to kill his enemies. Now the Infernal Wound ability of the Bearded Devil fits it perfectly, but what are the ways of obtaining it short of assume supernatural ability and polymorph? I'm thinking along the lines of items, templates and such. I know there's the Infernal Wound spell, but that lasts only for 1 round/level and I don't think I can take Persistent Spell so unless there's another way for it to be applied to your character (who isn't a spellcaster) I'm out of luck there.

On that note, are there other sources of bleeding? I've got Implacable from the MiC and Implacable Blade from Explorer's Handbook. I know of the sneak attack substitute, 1d6 for 1 bleeding damage, and there's the ToB prestige class that has a few points of non-stacking bleeding, but anything else?

There's the Wounding weapon property (Core)
I believe there's a weapon or two in the Book of Vile Darkness that deals a portion of the damage as Vile (unhealing) damage.

Dragannia
2010-09-04, 09:08 PM
Wounding isn't really Bleeding though. When I mean bleeding I mean damage over time.

FMArthur
2010-09-04, 10:59 PM
I've read two different abilities like that recently. I'm pretty sure one was a ToB maneuver (probably in either Tiger Claw or Shadow Hand) and the other was a weapon enhancement in the MiC somewhere. Neither are called Infernal Wound though.

Dragannia
2010-09-05, 02:00 AM
Implacable is the one from the MiC. Bloodstorm Blade is a prestige class from the ToB that deals 3 non-stacking bleeding damage, but I know about all of those.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-05, 03:33 AM
If you've got enough sneak attack dice, the Arterial Strike ambush feat (Complete Warrior) lets you trade sneak attack for continual bleeding damage. And it stacks with itself, so you can do it over and over. :smallsmile:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-09-05, 03:35 AM
There's Creeping Cold and the Greater version on the Druid list, which an Archivists (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) can also learn, best used with (Rod of) Extend Spell. Then there's the less powerful Power Word: Pain in Races of the Dragon, on the Sorcerer/Wizard list. Catching opponents on fire will also deal damage every round, good ways to achieve that would be the spell Produce Flame which can be delivered with a natural attack or unarmed strike, or via Dragonfire Inspiration since it's supernatural and thus a noninstantaneous magical fire effect. Any of those spells can have the Fell Drain metamagic feat applied to bestow a negative level every time they deal damage.

Maybe go with a Kobold Archivist, use the Draconic Rite of Passage to get Power Word: Pain as a spell-like ability and take the feat Draconic Reservoir to use it 3/day, then tack on Quicken Spell-Like Ability. Get a few Lesser Rod of Extend for Creeping Cold and Produce Flame. Pick up Sacred Exorcist or dip a level of (Cloistered) Cleric for the Celerity domain and Travel Devotion and you can DMM: Persist plenty of buffs and/or DMM: Fell Drain your spells.

Another option would be to use a more combat-oriented Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) build. Maybe start out with a DFI Bard build, and be sure to pick up three or four levels of Dracolexi to get Power Word: Pain. Definitely get a Circlet of Rapid Casting to use with that, which is also good with a Lesser Rod of Extend. Equip the character with whatever bleeding-damage-inflicting weapons you can find.

Zaq
2010-09-05, 12:26 PM
I've heard of people using the Assassin/Hexblade spell Cursed Blade, which makes wounds made with it unhealable until Remove Curse is cast. The idea is that you use one of the bleeding methods used here (Arterial Strike is I think the big one, since it comes from a feat and is not a "special weapon property," which the spell calls out) to give your opponent a bleeding wound that is very difficult to heal. Then you run away, hide, teleport, or otherwise make yourself very difficult to get to while your opponent bleeds out.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-09-05, 01:50 PM
A Spellsword 4+ can use Channel Spell to make Cloudkill a single target effect instead of an area effect. That deals 1d4 Con damage per round for ten rounds per caster level, Fort for half each round so a minimum of 10 Con damage per caster level. Poke a BBEG with that and run away, DM pulls his hair out.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-05, 02:02 PM
A Spellsword 4+ can use Channel Spell to make Cloudkill a single target effect instead of an area effect. That deals 1d4 Con damage per round for ten rounds per caster level, Fort for half each round so a minimum of 10 Con damage per caster level. Poke a BBEG with that and run away, DM pulls his hair out.

I HAVE to do this in a game.. any idea on how to get Cloud Kill on the Duskblade list?... need to check if Fiendish sorcery of Fiendblooded might give it to me

true_shinken
2010-09-05, 02:06 PM
Invisible Blade also gets the bleeding wound ability.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-09-05, 03:55 PM
I HAVE to do this in a game.. any idea on how to get Cloud Kill on the Duskblade list?... need to check if Fiendish sorcery of Fiendblooded might give it to me

Duskblade can't do it, their Arcane Channeling ability can only be used with spells that are already touch spells. Spellsword's Channel Spell ability specifically says that if the spell normally affects an area, it instead affects only that target. A Duskblade would be waiting a long time to get high enough level spells just to cast Cloudkill anyway, you'd be better off with a more conventional Sorcerer or Wizard based gish build. A Fighter 1/ Wizard 6/ Spellsword 5/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist or Ruathar 3 can do that at level 12, and still gets a +16 BAB and 9th level spells by 20th level.