PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about exp cost in crafting wondrous items

fulong
2010-09-04, 09:49 PM
According to my dm, 1/25 exp costs only apply to charge items, and permanent items like Handband of intellect cost exp x 50 in exp values. No, this isn't houserule. Is it really like this? :smallconfused:

Douglas
2010-09-04, 09:51 PM
Er, no. The rules for crafting cost, both gp and xp, relative to market price are the same regardless of whether an item is charged or permanent. Crafting gp cost = 1/2 market price, crafting xp cost = 1/25 market price.

The balance between charged and permanent item costs is done entirely by giving the permanent items a higher market price relative to the power of the effect they give.

fulong
2010-09-04, 10:15 PM
Any source? I know that's right, but my dm won't believe me.
My dm is very stubborn :smallannoyed:

Mnemnosyne
2010-09-04, 10:21 PM
It sounds like your initial description was part of the custom magic item costs, in which case an item with limited daily uses but no charges has its cost calculated as though it has 50 charges.

Possibly the DM is confusing several different rules together or something along those lines?

Vemynal
2010-09-05, 02:48 AM
I don't have anything to help out the OP but I had a question along these lines that I was hoping someone could solve.

I'm admittedly new to the game, and so when an Item says it takes a week, or a year, etc to make. How is this played about in the game? the GM doesn't literally have to fast forward the game for a year so you can make the item does he?

How does time spent creating items work?

Reis Tahlen
2010-09-05, 02:51 AM
The source?

The DM guidebook, Magic item section. Heck, it's even divised between each magic item category, there are two easy-to-read tables with simple calculations... I wonder how he managed to understand the rule that way :smallconfused:

For Vemynal: Yes, yes he does... Usually, it's the other way around: it's the DM who says you have the time for some craft between adventures.

Sliver
2010-09-05, 03:26 AM
Why go so far as the DMG? The PHB has the rule.

Craft Wondrous Item

Benefit: You can create any wondrous item whose prerequisites
you meet (see the Dungeon Master’s Guide for prerequisites and other
information on wondrous items). Enchanting a wondrous item
takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its price. To enchant a wondrous
item, you must spend 1/25 of the item’s price in XP and use up raw
materials costing half of this price.

fulong
2010-09-05, 04:45 AM
Thanks guys for your input. Even if I show my DM DMG and PBH that said the cost of making wondrous items is 1/25 cost for exp, he still wouldn't listen because he doesn't like the math of it. Eventually, we came to a compromise that it would cost half the market price for exp values. Yeah, it's not right, but I'm not going to argue with the DM, piss him off, and lose him as the DM of our group. So, I said **** it, fine we can go with that.

FelixG
2010-09-05, 04:53 AM
Sounds like hes just house ruling something he disagrees with at this point.

FlamingKobold
2010-09-05, 01:29 PM
It'll be almost impossible for you to craft things without losing enough exp to go down at least one, possible more levels.

KillianHawkeye
2010-09-05, 02:40 PM
Man, I've never played a crafter because I didn't even like the idea of losing 1/25th the item's cost in xp. Who in their right minds would play a crafter using that house rule??? :smallconfused::smallconfused::smallconfused:

FelixG
2010-09-05, 02:45 PM
One good houserule is that you could replace the Xp cost at a rate of 50 gp to 1 xp instead

gomipile
2010-09-05, 03:05 PM
If he really cares about the rules as written as much as you implied he did in your first post(or as much as I read into it, anyway), then there should be no argument. You should just be able to do it the way it is written in the books.

It seems like he doesn't care about the rules in any way which agrees with his initial position. House rules are fine, but being hypocritical about them can be a real deal breaker.

And I for durn sure hope he's using the experience gain rules exactly as written, so that you gain more XP than the others in your party if you are down a level.