PDA

View Full Version : useful spells (non-combat)

DragonOfUndeath
2010-09-04, 10:42 PM
what is a useful spell (not combat) in a D&D setting? i got the idea from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9293554#post9293554)

something like this:
Curse of Marriage I: the enemy of your choice becomes drunk and wakes up next to a woman. 2 successful Fortitude Saves (DC15) before 2 unsuccessful to avoid getting drunk. the woman has a a hotness rating of 1D6-2 and nags A LOT.
Curse Of Marriage II: see above except for the following: 3 successful Fortitude saves before 2 unsuccessful (DC20) and the woman has a hotness rating of 1D6-3
Curse Of Marriage III: see first except for the following: Fortitude saves are DC25 and the woman's hotness rating is 1D4-2

Speak Legalese: perfectly understand what lawyers are saying (even if they are talking in a language you don't understand)

DragonOfUndeath
2010-09-05, 01:24 AM
no-one? not a single spell like for example:
Create Money or Accio?

Darrin
2010-09-05, 09:10 AM
no-one? not a single spell like for example:
Create Money or Accio?

My old college group was really, really fond of the detect obvious spell, because we could have used something like that a lot.

We also really could have used someone who knew Secret Language: Mumble.

freebiewitz
2010-09-05, 09:40 AM
Here's one that I can think of.

Detect magic ten minutes ago. (Lets you detect magic that was there ten minutes ago XD)

Nero24200
2010-09-05, 10:37 AM
You know, theres one thing I never figured out. In a world of magic you can get magic to do anything you want - Grant wishes, let you fly, travel a hundread miles in a few short seconds, create light, create darkness, create objects, bring objects to life etc.

There isn't a single spell to make a cup of coffee though. The best you can get is "create water" then use presdigitation to make it taste like coffee...but even then it won't "wake me up" in the morning.

Kaww
2010-09-05, 10:42 AM
Try summon monster IX... That wakes up everyone it the city/town/village...

Radar
2010-09-05, 10:59 AM
Directly from OotS: Summon Conscience - I would be glad, if it were available.

Apart from that: Dispel Logic, Discern Mood, Protection from Micro-management and some such.

Violet Octopus
2010-09-05, 11:01 AM
You know, theres one thing I never figured out. In a world of magic you can get magic to do anything you want - Grant wishes, let you fly, travel a hundread miles in a few short seconds, create light, create darkness, create objects, bring objects to life etc.

There isn't a single spell to make a cup of coffee though. The best you can get is "create water" then use presdigitation to make it taste like coffee...but even then it won't "wake me up" in the morning.

Heroes' Feast. Maybe Fabricate, if you have the beans. Minor Creation + Cone of Steam.
A lower level coffee spell would be nice though. Preferably a Power Word spell.

Reis Tahlen
2010-09-05, 12:04 PM
Bigby's Helpful Hand: Summon a spectral hand which aids you in everyday life (like holding the nail while you hammer it, opening the door when your hands are full, etc...)

Finger of Rudeness: You point one single finger to your target. He feels insulted, and reacts the appropriate manner.

Furball: Has exactly the same mechanic as Fireball, but instead of fiery-death, you envellop your targets with warm, fuzzy furr. +2 Circumstance bonus to Diplomacy.

Summon Awesome Goblin: Summon the awesomestest Goblin in the world, who walks slowly away in the sunset as everybody look at him in reverred awe.

Detect Elvis: function as Detect Evil, but only for king of rock.

Ray of Elvishness: In an attempt to change someone as Elvis (because who wouldn't be like Elvis?), the mage who invented this spell made a (ha ha!) spelling mistake, and instead gives... elvish tendancies to the target. Good combo with Summon Loreal Shampoo and Mordenkainen's Majestic Vuitton Store.

Summon Chuck Norris: backfires horribly, because you don't summon Chuck Norris; it's Chuck Norris who summons you. And then Round House Kick you, killing you and your next seven characters.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-05, 12:31 PM

The Djinni has a Spell-Like called Create Wine. This works like Create Water, except it makes wine (not wine flavoured water).

This sets a rules precedent, so making a new Cantrip to make coffee should be no problem.

Bigby's Helpful Hand: Summon a spectral hand which aids you in everyday life (like holding the nail while you hammer it, opening the door when your hands are full, etc...)
Unseen Servant/Mage Hand?

Finger of Rudeness: You point one single finger to your target. He feels insulted, and reacts the appropriate manner.

Furball: Has exactly the same mechanic as Fireball, but instead of fiery-death, you envellop your targets with warm, fuzzy furr. +2 Circumstance bonus to Diplomacy.

I love you l and you spell-crafting ways. Keep up the good work.

Reis Tahlen
2010-09-05, 01:10 PM
Another one:

Tenser"s Mixing Disc: Summon a mixing table, with all the latest hits. Saves against Will to resist your phat beat.

mcl01
2010-09-05, 01:17 PM

I see your Finger of Rudeness and raise you one Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0624.html).

King of Nowhere
2010-09-06, 03:22 PM
Detect hot girls (or boys; I'll continue in the male form)
Detects any girl you will find visually attractive, and alerts you of their presence so you can feast your eyes on her. It also provides increased eyesigth as long as you look at said girl so you can better see her (see as if you were at half distance).
Avoid using when driving, or when you're with some girl you're trying to date :smallbiggrin:

When used in combo with detect tougths, it lets you know how much chances of success you have should you try to approach said girl, be it either for a one nigth stand or a long term relationship.
If you're a hopeless nerd, or any other kind of unattractive men, cast protection from negativity on yourself before using that combo :smallbiggrin:

Protection from lazyness: +4 to will saves to do some task you know you have to do, but really don't like, like studying, cleaning up your room etc.

Those two spells would improve my life a lot :smallbiggrin: