PDA

View Full Version : D&D over the internet

Kyos
2010-09-04, 11:36 PM
I'm pretty new to all of this, and I don't really frequent the forums, so I don't know if there's a daily discussion or whatever.

My friends and I used to have a game maybe twice a month, but as of late it's been harder and harder to get us all in a room together. Is there any way to play together with our computers, other than a chatroom or something? I'd like to have more than just text involved.

Yes yes, google it, blah blah blah. I wanted to go straight to the experts.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-04, 11:43 PM
PbP or play by post is a way to do it, actually here on the forums we have a very active PbP community (which I am part of), the problem is that games tend to die very easily, though of course there are exceptions.

Now to answer the qustion, I have played through MSN (I downloade a script to roll dice) but that is text base, I think SKype might have someway to support dice rolling and that kind of stuff.

I think Maptool is a program designed to do that, other than that I don't know

MachineWraith
2010-09-04, 11:50 PM
I've been trying to get Maptool to work, but I've been having problems with people being able to connect to my servers. I've been having to mess around with my router settings, and even that's not worked yet.

I'd recommend PbP, simple for ease of use.

Kyos
2010-09-05, 12:02 AM
I'll check out maptool. The reason I don't really want PbP is because three out of my five players are brand new to the game. I think the whole thing would be a lot easier with visual tools.

Thinker
2010-09-05, 12:12 AM
Maptool is very handy. It has a chatroom and dice roller built in and lets you have grids, maps, pictures, etc. Best of all its free. So you don't have to type everything out and possibly lose the tone of the conversation or the story, you can always use Skype. Its also free if you just have your conversations over the web.

For Maptool connection issues, make sure your router is configured correctly to forward traffic on the correct port. Also be sure to allow exceptions for Maptool in your firewall.

Giantitp has a fairly active chat room community over IRC at irc.gamesurge.net channel #giantitp. Lots of people there play online and especially over Maptool so they can give you help there.

FelixG
2010-09-05, 01:00 AM
Check out OpenRPG, like maptools but has lobbies

Morithias
2010-09-05, 02:45 AM
We use Gametable combined with Hamachi.

Reis Tahlen
2010-09-05, 02:49 AM
We use Gametable, and now that we have a new player who comes from France (our sessions take place in Belgium), we will use Mumble in order for us to explain how his Monk got beaten up.

Aaaah, simple joys in life...

awesomessake
2010-09-05, 03:48 AM
Live messenger isn't so bad either. My first (and last) official group lived across the country, and we have played several times over IM, and it's not a bad experience. Still be wary, because the game can get confusing if not handled right.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-05, 03:50 AM
Play by posts seems what you're looking for. This site has a large community of that and finding players/games is easy.

Kyos
2010-09-05, 01:01 PM
Thanks, you've all been so helpful. I'll check out a all of the tools mentioned.