PDA

View Full Version : Coffee lovers in the playground!

Don Julio Anejo
2010-09-05, 02:05 AM
Okay, I'm officially addicted now. I recently picked up an espresso machine off of Craigslist (Breville 800ESXL (http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/breville800esxl) for the coffee geeks out there), and what can I say... I'm officially addicted (didn't help that I worked in 3 different coffee shops for a grand total of about 1 3/4 years). It's midnight and I'm sipping a rum vanilla latte of my own recipe...

So... any other coffee geeks out there?

PS: if anyone here lives in Vancouver or anywhere in the area, you must try 49th Parallel Epic Espresso beans! Ironically, they cost less than Starbucks, but the taste is beyond heavenly.

Lioness
2010-09-05, 02:07 AM
*waits for Coffee to appear*

Umm...I like coffee, quite a bit. But I wouldn't say I'm addicted (Red Bull has that place). Nor am I a coffee geek. I loves my instant coffee.

But, either way, white with one sugar.

SMEE
2010-09-05, 02:10 AM
COFFEE!!!! :smalleek:

I LOVE coffee! Black, bitter, strong.
So strong it could either raise a dead man or kill a living one.
True black coffee. That one that you can't see through it and that you could chew on for being so strong.

COFFEEEEEE! :smallbiggrin:

Marnath
2010-09-05, 02:11 AM
Coffee is too much work. When I need to use it at all, I eat the espresso beans raw, much faster >.>
Of course, it helps to get the chocolate covered kind.

golentan
2010-09-05, 02:25 AM
Coffee coffee coffee?! I heard coffee. Is there coffee in this thread?! GIVE ME THE BEANS!

Coffee is one of my favorite flavors. Though I despise the current trend toward dark roasting in normal beans, I love the rich, full taste of a milder blend, and also the smooth chocolatey finish of good espresso.

My critique of coffee can always be judged by my reaction to the first sip. Bad coffee, I will add cream and sugar. Poor coffee, I'll have black as night, sweet as sin. Good coffee, I'll drink straight, and great I will never seem to finish because I'll savor it sip by sip over the course of several hours.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-05, 03:56 AM
I find coffee too hot (ironic I don't mind the taste so much), but at times I can suck it up and drink the stuff. I'm not a big coffee drinker though, however, it being 4:55 AM here, I could sure use a cup.

Archonic Energy
2010-09-05, 06:10 AM
I like Coffee i'm not sure if i love Coffee though most days i'll have Tea but i think that's more to do with where i live than anything else

when i'm trying good coffee i'll have it black wth no sugar
if it's a Sbucks/Costa i'll have a Mocha (what can i say i love chocolate too)
if it's at a pub where the quality is suspect i'll go for a a latte.
i've been tempted by one of those coffee machine thingies but i feel thay are overpiced for what they do & i like the ease of my Cafetierre

so... where's Eld... :smallamused:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-05, 06:29 AM
Funnily enough, I'm not a big fan of coffee--The drink. It's too bitter for my taste and I need to make it one part coffee, four parts everything else. However, I love coffee ice cream and those iced coffee drinks like frappachinos.

So why did I use CoffeeIncluded as my username? Because I'm so hyper it's like my body naturally produces caffeine as a hormone, and I wake up at 7 AM naturally.

Malfunctioned
2010-09-05, 06:34 AM
I could easily live off of all kinds of coffee and coffee-flavoured things. Though due to my massive sweet-tooth my friends have decided that what I drink in college isn't actually coffee but 'Malfunctioned's Coffee Flavoured Chocolate Sugar Water'.

It has 12 sugars and it is delicious.

Assassin89
2010-09-05, 06:44 AM
I find coffee quite delicious. I'm fine with drinking it black or I take one sugar or artificial sweetener and some cream. As for how it tastes to me, sometimes it tastes a little fruity, but otherwise fine.

Dada
2010-09-05, 06:49 AM
I like my coffee as I like my metal: Black.

Actually, I'm more fond of black coffee than I am of black metal, I prefer the more melodic and/or progressive kinds of metal. Oh, coffee thread, right..

I LOVE coffee, but I drink far to much instant coffee to really be able to call myself an enthusiast. It's quick to make, however, and if you make it black enough, your body and mouth will be too busy screaming for mercy to notice the rather low quality. I really should get myself a nice espresso machine..

Skeppio
2010-09-05, 06:52 AM
I just realised, I've never actually drank a cup of coffee in my life. I've had a few sips when I was younger (mum needs to keep a better guard on her drinks :smallbiggrin:), but I found it horribly bitter. Am I strange?

Dada
2010-09-05, 07:04 AM
No, coffee is bitter, possibly very bitter if its black and unsweetened. Like beer and wine, very few kids like the taste. If you want to learn to drink coffee, I recommend using lots of milk and a bit of sugar, as well as working or doing homework many late nights.

Lord Loss
2010-09-05, 07:22 AM
Funnily enough, I'm not a big fan of coffee--The drink. It's too bitter for my taste and I need to make it one part coffee, four parts everything else. However, I love coffee ice cream and those iced coffee drinks like frappachinos.

So why did I use CoffeeIncluded as my username? Because I'm so hyper it's like my body naturally produces caffeine as a hormone, and I wake up at 7 AM naturally.

7Am? Pah! i get up between 5:30 and 7:00 every day, 7:15 at the very, very latest. I've tried coffee. Some of my friends drink it, but I personally hate the stuff (then again, I'm fourteen,I have plent of time to develop a strange dependance upon an unhealthy and disgusting drink that peoples seem to adore...)

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-05, 07:25 AM
(then again, I'm fourteen,I have plent of time to develop a strange dependance upon an unhealthy and disgusting drink that peoples seem to adore...)

I'm 15.

I love coffee first thing in the morning. My friends think I'm nuts. Then again my friends seem to think you can only drin coffe "black." I like my coffee with loads of milk and sugar.

My dad says I don't drink coffee, but coffee flavoured milk.

Ricky S
2010-09-05, 07:39 AM
Have you guys ever tried turkish coffee? It is served in little glass cups and is super strong. It is delicious.

B-Man
2010-09-05, 08:11 AM
Mmm... coffee...

Working at a coffee as made me realise that I consume way too much coffee. I've been trying to cut back since I started working at the coffee shop. I've been drinking coffee since I was 4 years old. Started off as just one cup on Sunday mornings then turned to a daily fix by Grade 7 (when I was 12 years old).

Frojoe21
2010-09-05, 08:14 AM
I needed to physically restrain B-man twice yesterday so as to stop him from diving into a Tim Hortons. That's how bad he is.

Unfortunately his third attempt succeeded and he got his fix via Starschmucks.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-09-05, 08:21 AM
I have a job making coffee, and it has actually made me dislike coffee. Being surronded by low quality coffee for 8 hours straight does that to you.

truemane
2010-09-05, 08:33 AM
I loves my coffee. Loves it loves it. And I'm not even all that particular about the quality. I see coffee primarily as a caffeine delivery system and its quality is purely secondary to its primary purpose.

I've been cutting down quite significantly the last few months since I got into serious training for a long-distance run in October. Not because of the coffee, but the cream and sugar I put in my coffee. Have to drop some excess weight before the run.

I tried giving up the coffee altogether. Switch to apple juice, which is just as good for getting your energy up in the morning. But it didn't last. Didn't last longer than ten minutes.

So now, I only cream and sugar up the initial cup. And I just sort of refill it a couple of times. And I stop drinking it at noon. After that it's just water.

Moonshadow
2010-09-05, 08:37 AM
I honestly can't stand coffee. It's just far too bitter for me. I'll only drink it under sufferance when I really need the caffeine. The coffee I get seems to either be too bitter, or burnt, and it's just put me right off it.

The Succubus
2010-09-05, 09:35 AM
So this thread isn't a CoffeeIncluded fanclub thread? :smallfrown:

Malfunctioned
2010-09-05, 09:55 AM

No.

But it really should be. :smallbiggrin:

Snares
2010-09-05, 10:03 AM
Coffee on its own is meh - I can drink it but I'm not a huge fan. Iced coffee, on the other hand, is spectacularly delicious. Chocolate iced coffee with plenty of sugar? Now we're talking. :smallcool:

Apparently I make really nice coffee though, even though I don't really like the stuff. :smallconfused: Though that's probably my general OCD when it comes to making hot drinks. The water always has to be just at boiling, always add a small extra half-scoop of stuff, milk always in last, sugar or sweeteners in after the water but before the milk. Makes the best tea possible. Seems to work on coffee too.

smellie_hippie
2010-09-05, 10:07 AM
Coffee is my favorite drink... bar none. I brew my own beer, but I would give it up before I gave up coffee.

I typically take my coffee with soy-milk and a little sugar, but if I go to my local roasters and get the fresh roast of the day, I will take it black.

I think I have also found that the caffiene in coffee doesn't have the standard effect on me. I can get hyped up on a few cups, but it has to be the only thing I have consumned all day long. I can also have a 20oz coffee before going to bed 5-10 minutes later.

On the downside, I have a horrible caffiene addiction.:smallfrown: I get cold sweats, headaches, short temper and even a pale complexion if I haven't had a cup after being awake for about 4 hours. I guess my regular coffee intake is maintaining a caffiene level rather than hyping me up.

Speaking of which.....

*goes to pour another cup*

p.s. My last batch of beer that I brewed was a coffee porter.:smallamused: One pot of good black espresso added tot he 5 gallon batch of a porter kit. Very tastey!!

Violet Octopus
2010-09-05, 10:38 AM
Depending on mood I have long black with no sugar or lots of sugar (no middleground), or soy flat white with no sugar. In the summer I'll have a soy frappe.

Coffee has no noticeable effect on wakefulness for me, so I only drink it for the taste, warmth and social custom (no, it's not built-up caffeine tolerance, it seems to be a genetic quirk that runs in the family).

Last cup of coffee was with a spiced apple cake, with a butterscotchy, molassesey, fudgy icing and walnuts. And almond icecream. Glorious.

Used to be a big fan of chocolate coated coffee beans, but can't find dairy-free ones now. Whittaker's makes a mocha chocolate block, but they changed the recipe to make the coffee too subtle. And then they discontinued the ginger dark chocolate. Travesty.

Have you guys ever tried turkish coffee? It is served in little glass cups and is super strong. It is delicious.
YES. Had it once and it was glorious.

Zocelot
2010-09-05, 11:18 AM
I always drink coffee when it's free, and very rarely when I have to pay (even then, only if it's cheap). I drink my coffee with a small amount of sugar.

I wouldn't say I'm a coffee lover, but I am not a coffee hater either.

BisectedBrioche
2010-09-05, 11:39 AM
I like coffee. A lot.

I have a drip machine (with a timer) so I can have fresh coffee in the mornings, a cafetiere and an espresso machine (an old fashioned on which you put on the hob).

Kneenibble
2010-09-05, 11:59 AM
Yes. It is delicious, and when the coffee is fresh and the preparation is correct, the oils make a rainbow of little bubbles like jewels across the surface.

Also entertaining is swishing the sludge in the bottom of the cup around your mouth and then grinning obnoxiously.

Moff Chumley
2010-09-05, 12:08 PM
I am somehow immune to caffeine which is so immensely disappointing words cannot even describe. :smallannoyed:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-05, 02:50 PM
I love coffee in all its possible variations though I tend to like more sweeter blends. I started drinking coffee around age 13 and I always try todrink at least 1 cup a day ever since...

Now if anyone comes to Mexico and they like sweet coffee, you must try "café de olla" (Pot* coffee). it is extremely delicious and you can get a cheap cup in almost any street corner

*the kitchen utensil, not the plant.

Cespenar
2010-09-05, 02:52 PM
When taken in small doses (which I usually do), coffee makes me sleepy instead of the other way around. Weird.

Asta Kask
2010-09-05, 03:00 PM

There's a fanclub? Why hasn't anyone told me?

golentan
2010-09-05, 05:51 PM

The worst variation of that phrase I ever heard?

I like my coffee like I like my women. Sweet, pale, ice cold, and run through a blender.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-05, 05:52 PM

Awww. :smalltongue:

No.

But it really should be. :smallbiggrin:

:smallredface:

Jack Squat
2010-09-05, 06:36 PM
I tend to like coffee in most any fashion, though I prefer it black. More often than not, I'll have it straight, but if I'm wanting to sweeten it up a little, I'll add some brown sugar.

I'm starting to get high blood pressure (in part due to stress from school), and I'm cutting out soft drinks because of the high caffeine, but I'm probably going to see my coffee intake rise, so I'm not too sure how beneficial it'll actually be :smalltongue:

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-05, 06:43 PM
i prefer tea, but coffee is good too:smallbiggrin:

PJ the Epic
2010-09-05, 06:43 PM

Amen. :smallbiggrin:

FyreByrd
2010-09-05, 07:13 PM
FyreByrd unhooks coffee IV from just behind his eyeballs....

Coffee is the fuel upon which Geeks run...I am a Geek, therefore coffee is as essential to me as the very air I breathe...

runs away to try and find the user-friendly strip with the geek food-group pyramid

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-05, 07:20 PM

Coffee is the fuel upon which Geeks run...I am a Geek, therefore coffee is as essential to me as the very air I breathe...

runs away to try and find the user-friendly strip with the geek food-group pyramid

i am geek too, but i am also steampunk. neo victorians drink tea. TEA. :)

FyreByrd
2010-09-05, 07:24 PM
i am geek too, but i am also steampunk. neo victorians drink tea. TEA. :)

Without wishing to start anything...Tea is pure evil...and those that drink it are irredeemable.

IRREDEEMABLE I SAY!

Anyway...you're on a thread about coffee!

mmmmmm coffeeeeeeeeeeee

EDIT: Aha here it is (http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19980719)

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-05, 07:26 PM
Without wishing to start anything...Tea is pure evil...and those that drink it are irredeemable.

IRREDEEMABLE I SAY!

Anyway...you're on a thread about coffee!

mmmmmm coffeeeeeeeeeeee

coffee= caffeine
tea= caffeine

can't we all get along?

FyreByrd
2010-09-05, 07:29 PM
coffee= caffeine
tea= caffeine

can't we all get along?

Yes, of course we can...The strength of my feelings about coffee however are matched by my strength of feelings about tea...just in the opposite direction :smallbiggrin:

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-05, 07:31 PM
Yes, of course we can...The strength of my feelings about coffee however are matched by my strength of feelings about tea...just in the opposite direction :smallbiggrin:

we should focus our energies on the those who do not believe in either :smallsmile:

snoopy13a
2010-09-05, 07:48 PM
I'm a coffee drinker but I'm not a connoisseur or expert. I just drink basic black coffee.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-05, 08:24 PM

Amen. :smallbiggrin:

Burn the Heretics!!!! throw them out of the sacred grounds of coffee!!!

:smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2010-09-05, 08:29 PM

Now see... I have had thoughts like this as well. But the idea of mainlining coffee just excludes you from enjoying the TASTE of good coffee.

We IV medicine because we don't want to taste "morphine" or "anesthetic".

:smallconfused:

unless it tastes like coffee...................... :smallamused:

ZombieRockStar
2010-09-05, 09:08 PM
Personally, I like coffee and tea in equal measure. I tend to be just as snooty about each. WRT coffee, I'm the kind of guy who will insist on Fair Trade, organic, shade grown, blah blah self-righteousness blah. I'm personally fond of a dark Central American blend m'self, but I'm not that picky. I care more about overall quality.

But honestly, people: there is more than enough room in a single day to accommodate both. Coffee is simply not an evening beverage, while a nice cup of white tea is pretty relaxing. Conversely, said cup of tea is bloody useless at 6 in the morning and doesn't quite work in the afternoon the same way coffee does.

~

While I'm in this thread, let me take the opportunity to say this:

Dear rest of Canada: Tim Horton's is horrible coffee. You heard me. I mean, I'll drink it if there's nothing else (which there often isn't), but come on. Horribly light and under-brewed, it barely tastes like coffee anymore. More like "HOT WATER!TM Now with coffee flavour! (For a limited time only)"

Add way too much cream and too much, yet paradoxically never enough sugar to disguise the taste and you have our national beverage: the double-double. :smallyuk:

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-05, 09:23 PM
seems i ruffled some feathers :smalltongue:

allow me to present this as a token of my apologies http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/d60c/

(i hear it's quite good)

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-05, 09:26 PM
I am somehow immune to caffeine
Same here... but that's ok with me. I'm glad there is something out there for y'all, but I do not understand it. Both taste and smell has always made me ill, regardless of how its dressed up or sweetened.

Chocolate covered coffee beans is my sole claim to coffee enjoyment. For that, I am glad it exists :smallwink:

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-05, 09:28 PM
i have od'd on caffeine before.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-09-05, 09:29 PM
Coffe's pretty cool. She was definitely one of the better people at the Crack Pairing's thread, and her comic's good, and she has that Let's P-

Wait, what? Wrong Coffee?

...and the joke's already been made? :smallfrown:

Anyway, I don't drink coffee. Never really appealed to me.

Jack Squat
2010-09-05, 09:31 PM
As in actually required medical intervention, including stomach pump, OD or felt-funny-but-shrugged-it-off OD?

Tulio d Bard
2010-09-05, 09:54 PM
seems i ruffled some feathers :smalltongue:

allow me to present this as a token of my apologies http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/d60c/

(i hear it's quite good)

Is this coffee the one shown in that Bucket List movie?

I believe there's more coffee than blood in my veins, and yes, I'm a Geek. AFAIR, there are some xkcd and WAITT (http://e1n.deviantart.com/gallery/#We-re-All-In-This-Together) comics featuring it too.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-05, 10:01 PM
why yes, yes it is:smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2010-09-06, 02:18 AM
an unhealthy [...] drink that peoples seem to adore...)Coffee is not unhealthy. (http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food) :smallsigh:

p.s. My last batch of beer that I brewed was a coffee porter.:smallamused: One pot of good black espresso added tot he 5 gallon batch of a porter kit. Very tastey!!This sounds amazing.

Vaynor
2010-09-06, 02:22 AM
Coffee is not unhealthy. (http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food) :smallsigh:

WebMD: the go-to source for quality medical information. :smallamused:

Strawberries
2010-09-06, 02:29 AM
COFFEE!! :smallbiggrin:

But not that coffee

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz9/madchem84/drip-coffee-maker.jpg

This coffee
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz9/madchem84/moka_bialetti.jpg http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz9/madchem84/moka.jpg

What can I say, I'm a traditionalist. Homebrewed Italian espresso is the only thing that wakes me up.

Violet Octopus
2010-09-06, 02:43 AM
Coffee is not unhealthy. (http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food) :smallsigh:
It does inhibit iron uptake though, so I try to avoid it with meals.

Zeb The Troll
2010-09-06, 02:47 AM
WebMD: the go-to source for quality medical information. :smallamused:Fine, here are a few others...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15823127/
http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/coffee_health_risk
http://ezinearticles.com/?Is-Caffeine-Healthy-For-Your-Body?&id=1983391
http://www.afic.org/Caffeine%20&%20Health%20Clarifying%20The%20Controversies.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coffee-and-health/AN01354

Take your pick. :smallamused:

Archonic Energy
2010-09-06, 04:33 AM
On the downside, I have a horrible caffiene addiction.:smallfrown: I get cold sweats, headaches, short temper and even a pale complexion if I haven't had a cup after being awake for about 4 hours. I guess my regular coffee intake is maintaining a caffiene level rather than hyping me up.

why do you tell me these things...

*goes to work on a caffine nutralizing agent*
*STAB*
... the fun i will have! :smallamused:

Vaynor
2010-09-06, 04:41 AM
Fine, here are a few others...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15823127/
http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/coffee_health_risk
http://ezinearticles.com/?Is-Caffeine-Healthy-For-Your-Body?&id=1983391
http://www.afic.org/Caffeine%20&%20Health%20Clarifying%20The%20Controversies.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coffee-and-health/AN01354

Take your pick. :smallamused:

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe...

:smallbiggrin:

EmeraldRose
2010-09-06, 09:31 AM

*STAB*

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I won't allow this! Such a thing will only destroy us! *stab*

smellie_hippie
2010-09-06, 10:08 AM

*STAB*

Oh no you don't you son-of-a... :smallannoyed:

oh, nevermind. Thank you very much dear! :smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2010-09-06, 10:17 AM
don't worry ER. i'll use a retrovirus to edit Hippie's DNA so he becomes caffine intolerant.

Hippie, be afraid... Be very afraid!

Killer Angel
2010-09-06, 10:33 AM
COFFEE!!!! :smalleek:

True black coffee. That one that you can't see through it and that you could chew on for being so strong.

COFFEEEEEE! :smallbiggrin:

+1 for true black coffee. This one already linked:

This coffee
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz9/madchem84/moka_bialetti.jpg http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz9/madchem84/moka.jpg

I like it with hot milk in winter's mornings, and with "standard" milk during summer's mornings.
After dinner, with some alcohol in it (preferably grappa, a strong spirit distilled from various grapes, around 40% alcohol).
And obviously, with bitter chocolate. :smallwink:

May I suggest you to visit this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150811) thread? :smallcool:

Asta Kask
2010-09-06, 10:41 AM
Eh... we already have a caffeine neutralizing agent - adenosine, the natural substance that caffeine imitates. In the body it is anti-caffeine.

Archonic Energy
2010-09-06, 10:53 AM
Eh... we already have a caffeine neutralizing agent - adenosine, the natural substance that caffeine imitates. In the body it is anti-caffeine.

thank you...
:smallamused:

*whistles innocently*
fancy a "coffee" Hippie?

Killer Angel
2010-09-06, 10:55 AM
When taken in small doses (which I usually do), coffee makes me sleepy instead of the other way around. Weird.

I think it's because coffee can be difficul to digest, hence the sleeping sensation.

BisectedBrioche
2010-09-06, 03:01 PM

*picks up can of petrol*

Hold him down!

Malfunctioned
2010-09-06, 04:51 PM
I am now craving coffee more than ever.

Curse you thread.

Curse you.

Also, has anyone else here had the Monster Energy Drink coffees?

They're actually quite nice in my opinion.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 05:17 PM
I am now craving coffee more than ever.

Curse you thread.

Curse you.

holy zeus yes! i love the russian blend

EmeraldRose
2010-09-06, 06:09 PM
*debates making more coffee before bed*

Hmm...I really don't actually need anymore tonight. I suppose I could just drink tea...the coffee will be there for me in the morning.

Zeb The Troll
2010-09-06, 06:34 PM

They're actually quite nice in my opinion.The Monster Java's are the only energy drink I actually care for in any way, shape, or form.

Assassin89
2010-09-06, 08:07 PM
Anyone here ever have French press coffee? I had it once and it was delicious.

And then there are brands of coffee, such as intelligentsia, that I enjoy.

There was also a student run cafe near my college, but it might not still be open.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-09-06, 08:23 PM
Ah yes, Intelligentsia is awesome :smile:

Zeb The Troll
2010-09-07, 12:35 AM
Anyone here ever have French press coffee? I had it once and it was delicious.

There was also a student run cafe near my college, but it might not still be open.I have a french press. Aside from a good way to use too many grounds for too little coffee (maybe I'm doing it wrong?) I don't get the appeal. :smallconfused:

Jivundus
2010-09-07, 12:56 AM
mmmm, coffee -drools-

Sitting here, de-stressing after an exam with an Irish coffee, sooo good :p

When paying for one it's always a vanilla latte with a double shot of espresso...strong with just a hint of vanilla to take the edge off.

Remmirath
2010-09-07, 12:58 AM
I'm quite fond of coffee. Also tea. I like them about equally, I'd say.

I like my coffee black unless it's really terrible coffee, in which case I try to drown it in sugar and milk - and at that point it can't really be said that I like it. I'm not very particular about what kind of coffee I drink, I guess. I know there are some kinds I like a great deal, but I can't recall what they are right now.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-09-07, 04:53 AM
I have an interesting balance between coffee and tea. I like both about equally (well, lattes, Turkish coffee (my mom makes it any time I visit) and sometimes long espressos, I don't like other kinds of coffee). At home, especially with my meals, I drink tea almost exclusively. Coffee I usually only drink at home if I need to be awake for whatever reason. Now when I'm out, on the other hand, I'll pretty much never order a tea and instead opt for a latte. Paying $2 for what's essentially a 5c teabag and some hot water feels like a ripoff. Most coffee places not having lemon is another reason.

FyreByrd
2010-09-07, 05:00 AM

My wife has the same thing...the "supposded", medical opinion is that in her body, it lowers her heart rate first(i.e causing the sleepy senstaion) before pushing it higher and making her more awake.

No I don't believe it either!

Knaight
2010-09-07, 02:36 PM
I have a french press. Aside from a good way to use too many grounds for too little coffee (maybe I'm doing it wrong?) I don't get the appeal. :smallconfused:

How do you use it? A lot of people use it improperly and go through grounds, used well French Press coffee is amazing.

Archonic Energy
2010-09-07, 03:04 PM
the thing to remember when using a cafetiere is that that you need to use corser grounds than with a Filter/Espresso.

also you've got 10-15 mins before the bitterness really starts to be tasted.

Zeb The Troll
2010-09-07, 10:52 PM
How do you use it? A lot of people use it improperly and go through grounds, used well French Press coffee is amazing.Disassemble
Pour in grounds
Add boiling water
Wait till it looks dark enough
Reassemble and gently press so the grounds are safely under the mesh
Pour into a cup
Drink

Tastes just like coffee from a percolator, except it took enough grounds for half a pot to make two cups.

Knaight
2010-09-07, 10:56 PM
Your problem is the use of such a small French Press, get one that makes 3-4 cups of coffee and it should be fine. On the bright side, you avoided the complete moron mistake of pressing the grounds to the bottom then waiting for it to brew. Which seems to be both common and the easiest way to use too many grounds.

Skeppio
2010-09-07, 11:24 PM

Never heard of them. :smallconfused:
I was under the impression that combining Monster and coffee would fill you with enough energy to shoot lightning from your fists. That and suffer twelve consecutive heart attacks.

Kneenibble
2010-09-07, 11:30 PM
Disassemble
Pour in grounds
Add boiling water
Wait till it looks dark enough
Reassemble and gently press so the grounds are safely under the mesh
Pour into a cup
Drink

Tastes just like coffee from a percolator, except it took enough grounds for half a pot to make two cups.

If that's true, then forgive my being pert, but either your coffee is of bad quality or your palette is ... not sensitive.

Or the plunging mechanism needs totally taking apart and cleaning. If I don't do that to mine frequently, the buildup affects the taste of the brew.

Zeb The Troll
2010-09-08, 01:16 AM
If that's true, then forgive my being pert, but either your coffee is of bad quality or your palette is ... not sensitive.

Or the plunging mechanism needs totally taking apart and cleaning. If I don't do that to mine frequently, the buildup affects the taste of the brew.Either of those things is possible, I suppose. But, if I use the same beans in each, what difference should I be expecting to taste?

Archonic Energy
2010-09-08, 04:10 AM
Disassemble
Pour in grounds
Add boiling water
Stir
Reassemble
Wait till it looks dark enough and gently press so the grounds are safely under the mesh
Pour into a cup
Drink
???
Profit

Fixing that for you...

Lioness
2010-09-08, 05:42 AM
My wife has the same thing...the "supposded", medical opinion is that in her body, it lowers her heart rate first(i.e causing the sleepy senstaion) before pushing it higher and making her more awake.

No I don't believe it either!

I'd tend towards thinking that coffee dehydrates you, so your body lower energy consumption to stress it out less. Thus, you get tired.

FyreByrd
2010-09-08, 05:52 AM
I'd tend towards thinking that coffee dehydrates you, so your body lower energy consumption to stress it out less. Thus, you get tired.

Yeah it was a doctor that said it to us....but then I tend to disbelieve doctors anyway so I'm much happier with your explanation!

Kneenibble
2010-09-08, 02:17 PM
Either of those things is possible, I suppose. But, if I use the same beans in each, what difference should I be expecting to taste?
Presuming the beans are fresh enough to have flavour beyond staleburnt, the differences are a deeper, heavier flavour and a thicker mouthfeel mainly from the oils of the coffee which a paper filter absorbs.

The adjectives aren't meant to have a value judgement. It's less delicious with some kinds of beans.

edit
On another note, I'm incredibly fond of the addition of cardamom to my coffee. Am I the only one?

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-08, 05:48 PM
this.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/coffee

Knaight
2010-09-08, 09:42 PM
edit
On another note, I'm incredibly fond of the addition of cardamom to my coffee. Am I the only one?
No, its objectively delicious. As is cinnamon, to make the coffee slightly more complicated. Also nutmeg.

EmeraldRose
2010-09-09, 06:54 PM
I agree. I sometimes add cinnamon prior to brewing, and it adds a wonderful flavor.

Thajocoth
2010-09-09, 09:48 PM
I take my coffee with lots of sugar and milk. Or in ice cream form. Or as a Grande No-Whip Mocha Frapp. Or as a Grande Mocha. Or as a BR Mocha Blast (Coffee Ice Cream Shake).

Had Coffee flavored Kit Kat once. Was great! Too bad they discontinued it...

dromer
2010-09-12, 04:43 PM
I sometimes drink mocha or espresso, but usually it's on the weekends as I don't have enough time to do it most days and caffeine does not work for sitting in class all day.

Forevernade
2010-09-12, 10:03 PM
Can anyone suggest a good non-caffinated coffee that doesnt taste like ****? I am used to drinking coffee because I like the taste, but since I have stopped drinking caffeine I am trying to find alternatives.

Knaight
2010-09-12, 10:05 PM
Honestly, fake stuff that isn't coffee at all is usually better than decaf. Pero or Postum maybe.

Kneenibble
2010-09-13, 02:19 AM
Can anyone suggest a good non-caffinated coffee that doesnt taste like ****? I am used to drinking coffee because I like the taste, but since I have stopped drinking caffeine I am trying to find alternatives.

As Knaight has said, so I: the brand I find delicious is Bambu, I've never tried the more well-known Postum. Bambu has a rich, nutty, slightly bitter, earthy flavour without any caffeine: it's made with malt and figs and acorns. It's just a powder you stir into hot water or milk. Very tasty and coffee-like.

Eldpollard
2010-09-13, 05:14 AM
How did I miss this thread. I am sort of known for my love/self annihilating addiction of coffee. This weekend I bought a kilo of coffee beans. My local coffee shop sells the beans they use, so it made perfect sense to buy a giant bag. Damn good coffee.
My coffee making routine goes like this. Boil fresh water in the kettle, grind beans in the grinder while the water's boiling, pour the grounds in the caffetiere, stir them in with cold water so that the hot water doesn't scold the beans, wait for a while, drink.
I sometimes drink enough coffee for my urine to smell of it. I may have a delicious problem.

Twin Dragons
2010-09-13, 03:40 PM
I loves me some coffee. Have a cup or two to help me wake up, one with lunch and sometimes one late at night when I'm pounding away on the keyboard on a project.

I love Kahlua Vanilla Cream, but I don't think it is sold anymore which bites the big one. I like to experiment with flavors. I bought a chocolate coffee roast once and couldn't keep my hands off of the stuff, so I decided not to get it again; 6-8 cups a day is too much. For the record I have a large mug that holds three and a half cups of water.

Knaight
2010-09-13, 06:40 PM
As Knaight has said, so I: the brand I find delicious is Bambu, I've never tried the more well-known Postum. Bambu has a rich, nutty, slightly bitter, earthy flavour without any caffeine: it's made with malt and figs and acorns. It's just a powder you stir into hot water or milk. Very tasty and coffee-like.

Bambu sounds delicious. Pero really only works with milk and sugar, I'll need to look into it.

Oh.

Well naturally.

Yes, of course it isn't avaliable anywhere within reasonable driving distances.

Yes Murphy, I understand.

Sonofa[Bleep]!*

*Guess who got less than 3 hours of sleep last night? If the humor seems off.

evanway2
2010-09-16, 03:49 PM
PERO IS AWESOME!:smallfurious:

Knaight
2010-09-19, 01:28 PM
PERO IS AWESOME!:smallfurious:
Agreed, just not black Pero.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-19, 01:37 PM

you could try herbal coffee (http://teeccino.com/category/11/Herbal-Coffees.html?gclid=CMbcy6SRlKQCFZCW7Qodt34QCA)

Zeb The Troll
2010-09-20, 12:56 PM
Presuming the beans are fresh enough to have flavour beyond staleburnt, the differences are a deeper, heavier flavour and a thicker mouthfeel mainly from the oils of the coffee which a paper filter absorbs.I've recently revisited this in my head and it occured to me to wonder if maybe those mesh baskets that people use for purposes of being "green" might not provide a similar result? If not, why not?

The adjectives aren't meant to have a value judgement. It's less delicious with some kinds of beans.This may be part of my issue, too. When I've tried it I've not used purpose bought beans for it. In doing some reading online about it, it appears I might also be griding the beans too finely (and I also use one of those electric grinders that more resembles a blender than what a French press afficionado would consider acceptable).

Trog
2010-09-21, 07:24 PM
Ah. LAAAHVE. Coffeh! <3

I make mine about a mug at a time using hot water boiled in a tea kettle and a little French press with freshly ground beans. Archie was right to correct Zeb on the stirring bit for making coffee with a French press. And the grind does matter. Usually you want a course, but even grind for that - unlike a medium grind for drip and a fine grind for making espresso. My grinder does 'em all but I rarely use the other settings. Too fine of a grind and you'll get all kinds of grounds in your French pressed coffee.

Anyhow, you want to be sure to stir and let the beans steep for a few minutes. Ideally what you are looking for is a nice foamy head (or bloom, as it's called) to begin expanding at top. Sign of a good grind/mix/temperature ratio.

I always drink my coffee black so I'm unaffected by any bitterness others complain about for the most part, though I admit to not being all that fond of many really really dark roasts (yeah that's right, I'm looking at you, Starbucks) because they taste burnt and not roasted. :smallyuk:

As for my favorite kind of coffee it goes, hands down, to Jamaican Blue Mountain. Recognized worldwide as one of the top beans, its reputation is truly deserved. A friend of mine brought me back some from his trip to Jamaica and let me tell you it's like pouring gold down your throat it is so smooth and silky and not at all bitter. The stuff is somewhat hard to find due to its demand and you will pay through the nose for it, of course, but if you like coffee... you need to try it at least once.

That said, it's spendy and I rarely get it. Mainly I just look around for a good blend of some sort at the grocery store or, occasionally, in a specialty store or at the local food co-op. It's hit or miss and I have yet to find a local blend I am happy with. :smallsigh:

Also, final tip: Use decent water. Distilled if you have it. Since coffee is mostly water you might as well make sure you have something other than grungy tap water to soak those beans in. :smallwink:

EmeraldRose
2010-09-25, 09:30 AM
So, I have a hugemassivegiganticsaurus bag of Starbucks beans out in the freezer. Who wants to come over and help me grind a few days worth into lovely black powder so that I can once again have coffee in the morning. Instead of tea. Not that there's anything wrong with tea, it's just not my morning drink...

Haruki-kun
2010-09-25, 04:08 PM
So, I have a hugemassivegiganticsaurus bag of Starbucks beans out in the freezer. Who wants to come over and help me grind a few days worth into lovely black powder so that I can once again have coffee in the morning. Instead of tea. Not that there's anything wrong with tea, it's just not my morning drink...

I do! How many planes do I have to take? :smalltongue:

Agreeing on the tea.

Haruki-kun
2010-09-25, 04:09 PM
Also, final tip: Use decent water. Distilled if you have it. Since coffee is mostly water you might as well make sure you have something other than grungy tap water to soak those beans in. :smallwink:

So.... no more walking out of my room with the mug in hand and walking to the drinking fountain? :smallfrown:

Trog
2010-09-25, 04:57 PM
So.... no more walking out of my room with the mug in hand and walking to the drinking fountain? :smallfrown:
Well you can do whatever you need to to, you know, get your fix. But good coffee starts with good ingredients. Necessary coffee, on the other hand... any port in a storm as they say.

Coidzor
2010-09-25, 05:00 PM
I never knew Coffeeincluded had such a fanbase...

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-25, 06:48 PM

unless your tap has, like >9000 filters :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2010-09-25, 09:48 PM
Instant coffee. As black, and in as great a ratio of coffee/water as possible. I do it for the flavor. :smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2010-09-25, 10:07 PM

I'll be surprised if it has ONE. :smalltongue:

Well you can do whatever you need to to, you know, get your fix. But good coffee starts with good ingredients. Necessary coffee, on the other hand... any port in a storm as they say.

Ah. Then yeah. Stopping in that port.

Knaight
2010-09-26, 12:25 AM

Or your city has awesome water. Mine is better than most bottled, and close to most distilled, so good coffee is easy to come by here.

EmeraldRose
2010-09-26, 09:14 AM
Ah, a lovely cup of Columbian this morning! Thanks for the help Ruki! :smallbiggrin:

viewcaster
2010-09-26, 09:39 AM
Was just a casual coffee drinker (it was more of a utility for me :smallsigh:) until about four years ago when my wife gave me a Melitta Grind and Brew for anniversary present. Have been hooked ever since. About six months ago even dug out the old air popcorn popper and roasted my own beans!

Haruki-kun
2010-09-26, 10:55 AM
Ah, a lovely cup of Columbian this morning! Thanks for the help Ruki! :smallbiggrin:

No problem! *wipes sweat* That was some tough grinding. :smalltongue:

EmeraldRose
2010-09-26, 12:31 PM
No problem! *wipes sweat* That was some tough grinding. :smalltongue:

Srsly. :smallwink: