PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I see the strips? RPG World

Dr.Epic
2010-09-05, 03:54 AM
I recently found out about this webcomic (link (http://rpgworldcomic.com/index.html)), but whenever I go to the archives and try to read a strip, the image for the comic doesn't show up. I'm wondering what the deal is with this webcomic. Did the artist/writer remove all the strips? Just wondering if anyone who has read this comic and is familiar with the site's history could enlighten me. Thanks.

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-09-05, 05:01 AM
RPG world? I remember reading that... 7, 8 years ago*? In any case, it died of a sudden case of indefinite hiatus a long time ago and the creator moved on to other things. There was some sounds of ressurection a couple of years back, but nothing came out of it. Looks like the domain still exists but the comics don't. Real shame.

*Gawd, I can't believe I've been reading webcomics that long... RPG World was one of the first.

Trazoi
2010-09-05, 05:22 AM
It seems it's pretty recent. The TV Tropes page says they disappeared in August. It's hard to say why though; it's odd that the images disappeared but the rest of the site did not.

I think I have a handful of the strips stored in an art morgue somewhere on my hard drive; I saved a couple from interesting webcomics a few years back. Otherwise it might be gone unless there's an archive somewhere (the Wayback Machine doesn't appear have an archive).

Dr.Epic
2010-09-05, 04:30 PM
RPG world? I remember reading that... 7, 8 years ago*? In any case, it died of a sudden case of indefinite hiatus a long time ago and the creator moved on to other things. There was some sounds of ressurection a couple of years back, but nothing came out of it. Looks like the domain still exists but the comics don't. Real shame.

Darn! Anyone have any idea where I might read the strips?

Trazoi
2010-09-05, 05:25 PM
If you're really keen you could track down a copy of the book. Other than that, is there another web archiving service other than Internet Archive? If so, that might have saved a copy. Otherwise I'm at a loss too - it's a shame.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-05, 05:34 PM
If you're really keen you could track down a copy of the book. Other than that, is there another web archiving service other than Internet Archive? If so, that might have saved a copy. Otherwise I'm at a loss too - it's a shame.

Does the book have every strip in it?

Trazoi
2010-09-05, 05:46 PM
Does the book have every strip in it?
No. The book appears to have come out in 2004, while the strip went on hiatus in 2005. I'm not sure at what point the book goes up to. The book was also B&W while some of the on-line comics were in colour.

There's a slim chance someone has an archive saved somewhere, but I couldn't find one with a quick Google search. Sometimes the Internet Archive can save old webcomics, but RPG World's robots.txt specifically blocked them.

Domochevsky
2010-09-05, 05:57 PM
So one last punch from the author against his audience, hm? Great job man. You had something good going on there. :|

Khosan
2010-09-05, 07:03 PM
So one last punch from the author against his audience, hm? Great job man. You had something good going on there. :|

If I remember correctly it stopped at one of the worst times too. Like right before the 'final boss' or whatever.

Tono
2010-09-05, 08:33 PM
yeeeep. He killed it on its last arc.

As for the book, I had it. It, was 'disc one of 4' if IIRC. I think it ended at the beach? I can't remember 100%, had it when it came out and when I lent to someone years ago I never got it back.

Jahkaivah
2010-09-05, 09:25 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/saxcsa/WHY-1.jpg

Komiyan
2010-09-05, 09:34 PM
As he never ended it, it's not so worth reading the rest, it just comes to an unfortunate stop. I totally understand why, though, sometimes these things are just so old and creaky that you're sick of the sight of it and want to move on with new projects.

He's working on Venture Brothers now!

Dr.Epic
2010-09-06, 02:15 AM
Anyway I could contact the guy (I think there was an email address on the site?), or maybe through Facebook or something? I know it's an impossible task that will most definitely yield no results, but I have a lot of free time and want to check this thing out.

Fri
2010-09-07, 06:44 AM
If this is true, this is really sad. RPGworld is still one of my favourite webcomic and it's the one webcomic that hooked me into reading webcomic.

Ignition
2010-09-07, 11:57 AM
Eh, RPG World had its charm, but it tried a little too hard at its mockery, in much the same way that Adventurers! did. He did a good job with his female characters, at the very least, which is a comparative rarity amongst gaming webcomics. I don't blame him for getting burnt out on it, but it wouldn't hurt the author to release the comics on some bare-bones archive site for the sake of internet history, such that it is.

Someone has the full archive somewhere, I'm sure of it. Heck, that's what came from that ClanBOB webcomic, Life of Riley; some fan went out of their way to track down people with copies of the strips, and hosted them. I imagine some people have copies of the strips somewhere, and if they bothered to look, they could be put up again.

At the very least, google the author; I think he does animation on YouTube now, or he was the last time I cared enough to track him down.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-08, 12:17 PM
At the very least, google the author; I think he does animation on YouTube now, or he was the last time I cared enough to track him down.

I looked up the guy on facebook. I found two pages: one for the author and one for the webcomic (the latter looked deserted). I might try making contact with him. I'm not sure what results that will yield. How would you feel if some random person you never met and have no idea who they are tried making contact with you?

Domochevsky
2010-09-08, 12:21 PM
I bet you're not the first one to bother him about this, so either he's going to explain it to you or brush you off angrily. (Or maybe just outright ignore you.)

Dr.Epic
2010-09-08, 12:31 PM
I bet you're not the first one to bother him about this, so either he's going to explain it to you or brush you off angrily. (Or maybe just outright ignore you.)

Yeah, I'll try making contact with him later. I was just looking forward to reading a new webcomic. With 8-bit theatre over and LFG doing whatever it is they're doing (I lost track of the plot a while ago) I only have OotS and it's update schedule is random. There was this other webcomic about this kid who went to a wizard college in this magical world he traveled to in his closet. I forget the name of it but there was a running gag about the kid always wanting cookies (sound familiar to anyone?).

Fion MacCumhail
2010-09-08, 02:49 PM
nope, but if you just need more to read, try having a look at this fine list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115481).

Tono
2010-09-08, 03:15 PM
The other comic you are talking about is Bardsworth (http://www.bardsworth.com/).
And as for contacting the author... best of luck, but his last couple of ... entries made it seem like he really was just tired of dealing with RPG World and its fandom.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-08, 05:10 PM
The other comic you are talking about is Bardsworth (http://www.bardsworth.com/).

Aw man, thank you! That's been bugging me all day.

And as for contacting the author... best of luck, but his last couple of ... entries made it seem like he really was just tired of dealing with RPG World and its fandom.

Yeah hopefully. I'm not sure what I could say that would convince him that hasn't been said before but I'll try.

Project_Mayhem
2010-09-10, 07:54 PM
If your looking for an awesome comic with regular updates, I'm going to pimp Homestuck (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6). Seriously. More win than something with lots of win

Dr.Epic
2010-09-12, 01:10 PM
If your looking for an awesome comic with regular updates, I'm going to pimp Homestuck (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6). Seriously. More win than something with lots of win

Meh, I tried reading that comic a few times before but never really got into it.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-23, 04:36 AM
So, the book people mention, I found it on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Rpg-World-Unlikely-Hero-Adventure/dp/0972235043) and am wondering how many of the strips made it into the book and is it worth buying?

Trazoi
2010-09-24, 09:08 AM
If the book is only Disc 1 of 4, then that's under a third of the comic. From what I remember, the comic was into Disk 4. It went on indefinite hiatus at a stage where it looked like it was gearing up towards the end, although there were enough loose ends for me to suspect there was more to it (but then again, it was obviously rushing towards a conclusion that it never reached too). If Disk 1 ended at the beach, then the story was still building up. The last of the main characters hadn't even made it into the story at that stage. If you do buy it, I don't think there's a book 2 or 3 and there's almost certainly never going to be a book 4.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-24, 06:54 PM
If the book is only Disc 1 of 4, then that's under a third of the comic. From what I remember, the comic was into Disk 4. It went on indefinite hiatus at a stage where it looked like it was gearing up towards the end, although there were enough loose ends for me to suspect there was more to it (but then again, it was obviously rushing towards a conclusion that it never reached too). If Disk 1 ended at the beach, then the story was still building up. The last of the main characters hadn't even made it into the story at that stage. If you do buy it, I don't think there's a book 2 or 3 and there's almost certainly never going to be a book 4.

Web page said there was a little over 100 pages in the book.

Trazoi
2010-09-24, 07:09 PM
Web page said there was a little over 100 pages in the book.
That's not a lot then. The webcomic went up to over 500 before it died.

Incidentally, I've got an awful lot of pages saved on my hard drive for some reason (I think I was using them for drawing reference; not sure why I've got so many. There's nearly eighty of the things in here.) Unfortunately they're somewhat spread out so there's a lot of gaps, and none of them are from the first 100.

mp122984
2010-09-24, 09:39 PM
It's not complete - There's a short story with Reka and the Robots I didn't save, and I can't promise that there aren't any comics after #522, but this is the best I can do:

(URL removed due to album deletion.)

Dr.Epic
2010-09-25, 03:27 AM
It's not complete - There's a short story with Reka and the Robots I didn't save, and I can't promise that there aren't any comics after #522, but this is the best I can do:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v180/mp122984/RPG%20World%20By%20Ian%20J/

Cool. Thanks.

Doompuppy
2010-09-25, 03:36 AM

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v180/mp122984/RPG%20World%20By%20Ian%20J/

Any chance of a downloadable archive file for offline viewing?

Fri
2010-09-25, 05:13 AM
Holy carp thank you very much. This is really awesome.

And uh... you could save them yourselves? Sorry, but even something like this is a miracle enough.

mp122984
2010-09-25, 09:37 AM
Any chance of a downloadable archive file for offline viewing?

The photobucket thing was mostly to show I had them - I didn't want to just say "Hey, I have this 70+ MB file with the strips, go and download it!" I'll see about setting up a megaupload thing later today.

Edit: Hrm... Actually, I'm not sure Megaupload would be a good idea. Heck, now I'm not sure photobucket was. I'd hate to get in trouble with the author. (Yes, maybe I should have thought this through. :eek: I was just so happy for the opportunity. I'll probably have the photobucket album taken down tomorrow. Sorry everyone. :smallfrown: