PDA

View Full Version : Class Choice Help

bokodasu
2010-09-05, 11:41 AM
If you were addicted to playing druids, and wanted to break that...

...and joining a sixth-level campaign where all (non-setting) WotC material was fair game

...and your DM suggested a spellcaster, since the mage quit and the BBEG can turn invisible at will, but there's already a cleric

What would you pick?

FMArthur
2010-09-05, 11:55 AM
A marshal. No DM tells me what character to make!

I mean wizard. Definitely a wizard.

Greenish
2010-09-05, 12:03 PM
Beguiler. Bonus points if you can wing the legendary Beguiler Beguiler.

Crossblade
2010-09-05, 12:10 PM
Battle Sorcerer. The sorc variant from Unearthed Arcana.
You can still fight, still cast, and wear some armor.

Reis Tahlen
2010-09-05, 12:23 PM
Warmage. It's like being a spellcaster without being a sissy.

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 12:26 PM
If you're used to prepared spellcasting (like a druid) wizard can be fun, it's a little harder to do right (if you choose the wrong spells you're weak; if a druid chooses the wrong spells he is still a pair of very angry tigers).

Dread Necromancer can be fun.

As can Beguiler.

And then there's always sorcerer which is just awesome to play (I'm descended from Dragons!) but you have to be even more careful with your spell-selection since you make it once and get so few chances to change it.

PId6
2010-09-05, 12:35 PM
Wizard or sorcerer. Or both, if you go Ultimate Magus.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-05, 12:49 PM
Wizard or sorcererbeguiler. Or both, if you go Ultimate Magus.

FTFY if you want the awesomeness of SADNESS!!!:smallwink: though it is a very solid advice in eithercase.

gorfnab
2010-09-05, 04:07 PM
Beguiler. Bonus points if you can wing the legendary Beguiler Beguiler.
A level of Warlock will get you a Beguiling Beguiler Beguiler. Also leads into Eldritch Theurge as well. I've played a Beguiler Beguiler in a campaign. It was definitely entertaining.

Draz74
2010-09-05, 05:06 PM
In my opinion, Dragonfire Adepts are the most fun spellcaster class to play. Followed by Psions, Warlocks, and Ardents.

chaos_redefined
2010-09-05, 05:28 PM
Well, it depends. What do you enjoy about druids?

If you prefer the casting elements, then go wizard.
If you prefer the melee elements, then go totemist. Pick up the mage's spectacles by shape soulmeld if you need magic
If you prefer the combination of the two, psychic warrior, maybe?

Zore
2010-09-05, 05:33 PM
Go Binder, it has some ridiculously fun mechanics and with different selections of vestiges can do anything from blasting, to healing, to ubercharging though not quite as versatile as a Druid.

Amphetryon
2010-09-05, 05:40 PM
Seconding Dread Necromancer. If you're into the summoning aspect of Druid, Dread Necro can emulate that while using a radically different default flavor.

thompur
2010-09-05, 05:48 PM
CW samurai...with a dip into Healer... then a dip into Monk...
Hmmm. Maybe that's too much cheez wiz.

Go straight Fighter, with lots of toughness feats.

PId6
2010-09-05, 06:47 PM
Go straight Fighter, with lots of toughness feats.
Toughness isn't a fighter feat.

Take lots of Weapon Foci in different weapons instead.

FelixG
2010-09-05, 06:50 PM
Warlock RWAR

Da Beast
2010-09-05, 08:26 PM
How has Bard not been brought up? Bards rock hard core with casting, skills, some combat ability (or a lot of combat ability depending on your build) and great party support.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-05, 08:29 PM
How has Bard not been brought up? Bards rock hard core with casting, skills, some combat ability (or a lot of combat ability depending on your build) and great party support.

There lies the problem, bard in core are extremle underwhelming, but thanks to Wee Jas (now that I think so it would be Thanks to Olimdamara) they got a lot of love in splats.

Da Beast
2010-09-05, 09:07 PM
There lies the problem, bard in core are extremle underwhelming, but thanks to Wee Jas (now that I think so it would be Thanks to Olimdamara) they got a lot of love in splats.

OP says all non setting specific material is fair game, so the only essential bard feat your missing out on is song of the heart. Maybe the DM could make an exception for that one since it is in no way tied to the flavor of Eberron. Even without it there's plenty of great feats for a bard out there. Complete Adventurer alone has almost enough to fill all seven of your feats :smallsmile:

Edit: Bards aren't terrible in core, they just have no feat love. They have a decent spell selection and great skills. You could probably make it through an entire campaign on glibness and UMD alone.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-05, 09:09 PM
I was just trying (enphasis on trying) to be a smart ass, seems I failed....badly.

Eitherway I agree with you on that.

Eldariel
2010-09-05, 11:39 PM
So yeah, in case it wasn't clear yet, Wizard is the only choice. Sorcerer is Wizard Redux but if you're used to Druids and there's a Cleric, no point in hampering yourself. And Warmage and Beguiler are Sorcerer Redux both. So...Wizard. With Spontaneous Divination [CC]. And Mindsight [LoM]. And why not, going Mage of the Arcane Order [CA].

But yeah, Wizard 5/Mindbender 1. Focus on divining and being awesome. And doing everything. Reading minds is handy too.

mobdrazhar
2010-09-05, 11:49 PM
I think you all forgot someone... where's the Duskblade?

Devils_Advocate
2010-09-06, 08:02 AM
Play a Telepath (the type of Psion). Use your mastery of the mind to turn your enemies into friends. Then fix the deep-rooted psychological problems that made them so darned antagonistic!

"Aw, it's okay. We all make mistakes. I forgive you. *Pat pat*"

Leon
2010-09-06, 08:18 AM
So what if there is already a Cleric. If you want to play one don't let the piddly fact there is one already stop you.

If your worried about treading on their toes then find out how they intend to play and play differently.

Ive played in a Group that had 4 clerics out of 6 players and we did very well.

Eldariel
2010-09-06, 09:06 AM
I think you all forgot someone... where's the Duskblade?

Why would he want to be a Duskblade in such a melee-heavy party?