PDA

View Full Version : What do warforged do?

Thrawn183
2010-09-05, 02:09 PM
Think about it, they don't eat, drink or sleep. They don't need clothes (though I have seen some artwork with them). The average person works every day so that they can afford food and shelter. A warforged simply doesn't need these things*.

I am wondering what you think your common warforged (NPC) would actually spend their time doing on a day to day basis. A warfoged fortress, for example, could simply be four walls. It's not like they need anything else.

*Yes, I could see warforged picking up work for a little while to buy something they really want like a musical instrument, they just don't need to spend money on so many of the things humanoids do.

darkpuppy
2010-09-05, 02:13 PM
They still need to be repaired from time to time, but the Races of Eberron book quite handily deals with this by pointing out that Warforged, not needing to sleep, and not needing to think too deeply, occupy themselves with simple, repetitive tasks when the rest of the party is asleep, such as armour and weapon maintennance, whittling, drawing... the list goes on.

It's a fascinating book, Races of Eberron, and I'd recommend it to an Eberron GM.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-05, 02:14 PM
Gainful employment. While they may not need most material goods, they do still need spell components, weapons, armor, and the material to repair themselves. Further, they probably try things like clothing to 'blend in' a little more: some people are pretty prejudiced against the 'forged, so doing whatever they can to limit that prejudice is good.

Terraoblivion
2010-09-05, 02:16 PM
Just as importantly they do need contact with other sentient beings, feeling that they fulfill a useful purpose and mental stimulation, in short all the reasons apart from money that people work for.

Greenish
2010-09-05, 02:16 PM
Basically, they spend much of their time trying to figure out what to do. Many probably take the first job offered to them, just to fend off boredom. Many become adventurers or sellswords, since that's what they know how to do. Some figure out another goal in life.

Marnath
2010-09-05, 02:18 PM
They still need to be repaired from time to time, but the Races of Eberron book quite handily deals with this by pointing out that Warforged, not needing to sleep, and not needing to think too deeply, occupy themselves with simple, repetitive tasks when the rest of the party is asleep, such as armour and weapon maintennance, whittling, drawing... the list goes on.

It's a fascinating book, Races of Eberron, and I'd recommend it to an Eberron GM.

This. They prefer repetitive hobbies, like counting rocks nearby or braiding leather strips together. Pretty much anything you could picture an OCD person doing they might do, except they do it for fun, not as a compulsion. Personally if I was a warforged I would probably travel a lot and pick up little cool looking knick-knacks from every place I've been.

Itous
2010-09-05, 02:20 PM
most warforged actully have trouble adjusting to normal life, they normally become mercenarys how ever those who do will probably become something along the lines of a weapon or armorsmith, or a seige engineer something to help in a war, although those who successfully adjust to normal life are normally tailors, artists, builders, etc.

most warforged during game downtime as the other guy said they will probably give have a simple task they can take thier time to master, if you need something they can do during thier watch things like....

Origami, Wood Carving, Puzzle Writting,

for professions as i said building is a good one, farming, fishing, tinkering, some might even decide to have a family and some how reproduce i would assume they use some of thier own body parts with another warfoged to construct a new one and then repair themselves i don't know much about that.

RebelRogue
2010-09-05, 02:22 PM
How much war could a warforged forge if a warforged could forge war?

Marnath
2010-09-05, 02:25 PM
some might even decide to have a family and some how reproduce i would assume they use some of thier own body parts with another warfoged to construct a new one and then repair themselves i don't know much about that.

They're built by creation forges, which are illegal to operate after the Thronehold Treaty. So no reproducing for the 'forged. Adoption on the other hand, would be a great plot hook.

Urpriest
2010-09-05, 02:27 PM
for professions as i said building is a good one, farming, fishing, tinkering, some might even decide to have a family and some how reproduce i would assume they use some of thier own body parts with another warfoged to construct a new one and then repair themselves i don't know much about that.

Standard Eberron warforged can't reproduce. They were produced by Cannith's Creation Forges, but these have all been shut down, and further creation of warforged is illegal in every major Eberron nation.

Edit: Ninja'd

Though an interesting question presents itself: are there nations that don't have laws against warforged creation? Droaam, for example? It could be like stem cell research!

FelixG
2010-09-05, 02:28 PM
One of my war-forged characters was making a clockwork pocket watch by hand with a magnifying glass and a series of files and scrap metal in his down time.

Greenish
2010-09-05, 02:32 PM
Though an interesting question presents itself: are there nations that don't have laws against warforged creation? Droaam, for example? It could be like stem cell research!Lord of Blades has a mostly operational creation forge up and running in the Mournlands, and House Cannith has another hidden beneath Sharn. Xen'drik has the original giant-made creation forges, some of which may remain operative.

Zaq
2010-09-05, 02:50 PM
Remember that Warforged are sapient, and are every bit as smart as humans, dwarves, or anyone. I think they mostly get jobs out of boredom. Either because they want something (anything) to do, or so they can have money to do things that they want to do. This does, of course, mean that they have more disposable income than other races, because they need little other than a house. Remember, just because you don't sleep doesn't mean you don't want a home, if nothing else to keep your stuff in.

Southern Cross
2010-09-05, 02:52 PM
That makes sense,given his Magneto complex....

Marnath
2010-09-05, 02:59 PM
This does, of course, mean that they have more disposable income than other races, because they need little other than a house. Remember, just because you don't sleep doesn't mean you don't want a home, if nothing else to keep your stuff in.

They wouldn't even need a house, if they spend money for fire and cold resistance to keep away the weather and get a Heward's Handy Haversack for their stuff. Maybe acid resistance or blueshine too, for negating possible corrosion.

Sir_Elderberry
2010-09-05, 03:05 PM
Well, any D&D person could buy themselves the spells needed to llive outside all the time. People still build houses, for much the same reason that people in the modern world don't just buy tents.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-05, 03:07 PM
Races of Eberron, as said, gives a good insight to it. They're moved mostly by desires of intellectual nature, like curiosity and greed. Not having bodily needs (Immediate bodily needs. Repair is expensive in comparison to food), they strive primarily to satisfy their minds.

Being derived from automata, warforged have a slow, deliberative mind. They take much longer than a human to be bored with what they are doing, and monotone tasks can keep them entertained for days nonstop.

Zaq
2010-09-05, 03:08 PM
They wouldn't even need a house, if they spend money for fire and cold resistance to keep away the weather and get a Heward's Handy Haversack for their stuff. Maybe acid resistance or blueshine too, for negating possible corrosion.

I dunno. I imagine many Warforged as being, on some level, very eager to fit into society, and that often means having some of the trappings of society. You can't invite your friends over to your built-in cold resistance, after all, and a Handy Haversack just doesn't make a good place to store conversation pieces or objets d'art.

They don't have to care about it, but it's no stretch in my mind to imagine a 'forged who at least wants a place to call their own.

I should mention that this is referring more to non-adventuring 'forged, of course. Adventurers of ANY race generally don't care about having a place to stay that's more comfortable than a Rope Trick, at least until the party wizzie hits MMM.

FelixG
2010-09-05, 03:15 PM
I dunno. I imagine many Warforged as being, on some level, very eager to fit into society, and that often means having some of the trappings of society. You can't invite your friends over to your built-in cold resistance, after all, and a Handy Haversack just doesn't make a good place to store conversation pieces or objets d'art.

They don't have to care about it, but it's no stretch in my mind to imagine a 'forged who at least wants a place to call their own.

I should mention that this is referring more to non-adventuring 'forged, of course. Adventurers of ANY race generally don't care about having a place to stay that's more comfortable than a Rope Trick, at least until the party wizzie hits MMM.

Best investment ever: Wondrous Item: Key of the mansion CL13 1/day casting of mages magnificent mansion :P

Jallorn
2010-09-05, 03:24 PM
This. They prefer repetitive hobbies, like counting rocks nearby or braiding leather strips together. Pretty much anything you could picture an OCD person doing they might do, except they do it for fun, not as a compulsion. Personally if I was a warforged I would probably travel a lot and pick up little cool looking knick-knacks from every place I've been.

I just had an idea for an OCD Warforged. It sounds kinda funny.

Tyrmatt
2010-09-05, 03:50 PM
If I was a Warforged, I think I would find a way to earn money so I could pay a wizard to make the Eberron equivalent of a Kindle. An expensive magic item that can access books from a particular library remotely, via a kind of Sending mechanic.

I suppose also technically Warforged could simply do the same jobs as other people but be paid less. I doubt even Eberron has the concept of a minimum wage and I imagine some 'forged could even see the logic in it. Assuming they don't despise the mortal races, I can see themselves willingly sacrificing wages to allow those with greater needs to still have jobs. Or a 'forged being paid in things like books, other items that the mortal races while they WANT do not specifically NEED.

The obsessive collector also appeals to me. Warforged work menial jobs at low wages but only buy expensive collectors items, gemstones or art pieces. The idea of having a complete "set" probably appeals to the 'forged mindset: It's not perfect unless it has all the pieces, just like a warforged.

On the flip side, I can see a lot of 'forged taking to a monastic life quite well. How zen would your garden be when the guy who rakes the sand and tends the plants doesn't get bored, tired or need to stop.

FelixG
2010-09-05, 04:23 PM
If I was a Warforged, I think I would find a way to earn money so I could pay a wizard to make the Eberron equivalent of a Kindle. An expensive magic item that can access books from a particular library remotely, via a kind of Sending mechanic.

I suppose also technically Warforged could simply do the same jobs as other people but be paid less. I doubt even Eberron has the concept of a minimum wage and I imagine some 'forged could even see the logic in it. Assuming they don't despise the mortal races, I can see themselves willingly sacrificing wages to allow those with greater needs to still have jobs. Or a 'forged being paid in things like books, other items that the mortal races while they WANT do not specifically NEED.

The obsessive collector also appeals to me. Warforged work menial jobs at low wages but only buy expensive collectors items, gemstones or art pieces. The idea of having a complete "set" probably appeals to the 'forged mindset: It's not perfect unless it has all the pieces, just like a warforged.

On the flip side, I can see a lot of 'forged taking to a monastic life quite well. How zen would your garden be when the guy who rakes the sand and tends the plants doesn't get bored, tired or need to stop.

I would see warforged getting payed more. A laborer that isnt as easily hurt, doesn't need to sleep ect. A half intelligent war-forged could see these benefits in themselves and market appropriately

Urpriest
2010-09-05, 04:30 PM
I would see warforged getting payed more. A laborer that isnt as easily hurt, doesn't need to sleep ect. A half intelligent war-forged could see these benefits in themselves and market appropriately

Until the next warforged asks for slightly less and gets the job instead, since neither needs the money to survive. The free market pushes prices down to the cost of producing services, and warforged have very few inherent costs.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-05, 04:33 PM
Well, warforged are a minority. The competition is only as high as the densest city you are going to seek a job in.

Prime32
2010-09-05, 04:52 PM
I would see warforged getting payed more. A laborer that isnt as easily hurt, doesn't need to sleep ect. A half intelligent war-forged could see these benefits in themselves and market appropriatelyThis, of course, doesn't help the discrimination.

ghost_warlock
2010-09-05, 05:24 PM
Huh. And here I thought all warforged held down two jobs to sustain their gambling addiction. Wonders abound...

Urpriest
2010-09-05, 05:41 PM
Well, warforged are a minority. The competition is only as high as the densest city you are going to seek a job in.

And that city is Sharn. :smalltongue:

BladeofOblivion
2010-09-05, 06:14 PM
How much war could a warforged forge if a warforged could forge war?

AAAAAAnd Sigged.

chiasaur11
2010-09-05, 07:51 PM
Listen to the exploits of Dirk Daring, the Daring Dirk of Derring Do, of course.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-05, 07:58 PM
What does warforged do with all its extra time?

It lives a double quadruple life. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8798103)

Eldan
2010-09-05, 08:07 PM
Warforged can also take a lot of jobs humans can't take for health reasons. They don't get infections, don't get poisoned, probably don't even care about smell or noise much.

I could imagine that the combination of immortality, spare money and free time could give a warforged the opportunity to invest his money in long term goals. Sponsor trade ships. Build your own bank.
Or get intellectual. Read all the books in Aundair's libraries. Travel around the world and then start over when you've been everywhere and look at the changes. Do some deep sea exploring.

mobdrazhar
2010-09-05, 08:12 PM
i could see a Warforged trying to perfect a task in thier downtime. Whether it be whittling or blacksmithing or even something such as writting/poetry

GolemsVoice
2010-09-05, 08:18 PM
I could also see a Warforged just decide, out of the blue, that it wants to be X. It becomes self aware, or however Warforged are "born" (I don't know that much about them), walks through the world, looking at all the things and people in it, and one day, it strikes it that it wants to become a carpenter. Or a tailor. Or an armorsmith. Or whatever. It ahs decided that it likes being this particular job, and so it will become one, and there's nothing that can stop it from becoming one.

They probably don't understand the other races' idea of "a time for everything", so they would start right away, and take the most direct approach. If there is one thing they have, it's time to learn.

Eldan
2010-09-05, 08:24 PM
Basically, the warforged, as the name implies, were forged in the great one-hundred year long war between Khorvaire's nations. They started as accidents, really: Cannith's artificers started with combat automatons and tried making them smarter, ending up with human intelligence and self-awareness. They are built in forges, and formed fully grown, self-aware and battle-ready.
They made thousands of warforged, since they were better than soldiers: no supply routes needed to keep them fighting, no food, no water, no diseases, armour is included in the body, they never tire and can march 24/7. At first, they weren't even paid.
Then, the war ends and you have thousands of intelligent machine soldiers without anything to do for them and they demand equal rights. As has been said, give them a job and they can do it with perfect attention for weeks straight without pause, and they don't even need much money.
So, they aren't liked much.

In an online game I was in, there was a Warforged who was found three years after the war ended, in a field in no man's land near the Demon Wastes. He was told to dig a trench, and since no one had told him to stop it, he had done so for three years without thinking much about stopping. Of course, in the meantime, he also had a lot of time to think.

SSGoW
2010-09-05, 09:32 PM
Basically, the warforged, as the name implies, were forged in the great one-hundred year long war between Khorvaire's nations. They started as accidents, really: Cannith's artificers started with combat automatons and tried making them smarter, ending up with human intelligence and self-awareness. They are built in forges, and formed fully grown, self-aware and battle-ready.
They made thousands of warforged, since they were better than soldiers: no supply routes needed to keep them fighting, no food, no water, no diseases, armour is included in the body, they never tire and can march 24/7. At first, they weren't even paid.
Then, the war ends and you have thousands of intelligent machine soldiers without anything to do for them and they demand equal rights. As has been said, give them a job and they can do it with perfect attention for weeks straight without pause, and they don't even need much money.
So, they aren't liked much.

In an online game I was in, there was a Warforged who was found three years after the war ended, in a field in no man's land near the Demon Wastes. He was told to dig a trench, and since no one had told him to stop it, he had done so for three years without thinking much about stopping. Of course, in the meantime, he also had a lot of time to think.

Sweet, this gives me so many good fluff/backstory ideas :D

Zephyros
2010-09-05, 09:55 PM
If I can recall correctly Warforged were unwelcome by the labor worker guilds cause of their ability to do those jobs better than humans (in many aspects). Someone would think that many Warforged begin adventuring due to discrimination.

Ormur
2010-09-05, 10:32 PM
A warforged that had a job could work at it around the clock for a long time, maybe not primarily for money but for company and to have something to do. Maybe they hit on a workplace where his special qualities are needed and respected. It doesn't need to sleep, eat or drink, just the occasional repair.

I can imagine such a character having a lot of money after some time. I like the idea of the warforged suddenly after years of work deciding to build himself a villa, or sponsor some big project out of the blue.

Aran Banks
2010-09-05, 10:41 PM
I can a warforged patiently working on the same sword that two warforged before him worked on, making it slowly into a super super super masterwork blade. Then when he's done, he carves the jewels for it over 3 generations, and works on the gold inlay.

And by the time you've hit the 19th warforged, you have a +20 sure striking super-keen vorpal colossal greatsword of wielding in one hand. And then they make another one, for dual-wielding.

Also... It stands to reason that a lot of warforged would practice something like the Sublime Way. Are there any Warforged-style disciplines out there?

NEO|Phyte
2010-09-05, 10:42 PM
Also... It stands to reason that a lot of warforged would practice something like the Sublime Way. Are there any Warforged-style disciplines out there?

Iron Heart?

gorfnab
2010-09-06, 03:33 AM
One game I was in had a Warforge with Profession: Tailor. It was nice be able to travel around with new change of clothes every other day for each member of the party.

FelixG
2010-09-06, 04:40 AM
Profession: Whittling blacksmith

"What do you mean you CARVED that sword? Thats adamantium!"

AslanCross
2010-09-06, 04:57 AM
Fun occupations for warforged:

1. Display mannequin for a tailor
2. Stone cutter
3. Water pump operator
4. Refuse collector (hey, immune to disease, doesn't tire)
5. Aqueduct cleaner
6. House Kundarak bank vault guard
7. Ship anchor
8. lead foundry worker (doesn't need air, specializes in hitting things)
9. Crane/pulley counterweight
10. Wood carver (the sample warforged in RoE does this)

FelixG
2010-09-06, 04:59 AM

1. Display mannequin for a tailor

This one made me think of the Episode "Shindig" from Firefly where the women are in the store window modeling dresses :P

Prime32
2010-09-06, 06:52 AM
Wouldn't their um... build cause problems?

Unless it's a shop that caters to warforged.

littlekKID
2010-09-06, 08:32 AM
They prefer repetitive hobbies, like counting rocks nearby or braiding leather strips together.

wow. I never thought being the d&d equivalent to a robot could be so boring

Eldan
2010-09-06, 09:21 AM

Hmm. I guess they could still wear cloaks. Or hats. And shoes.

LOTRfan
2010-09-06, 09:33 AM

To be fair, they were used to being commanded what to do all their lives. When they are freed, what exactly is their purpose? RoE mentioned in "a day in the life of a Warforged" that a battalion waited out in front of a military base for three days because someone forgot to dismiss them. Its hard to make the transition from "always do what you're told!" to "Yeah, see the Last War ended, so we don't really need you any more. Run along now, go do what you want."

ashmanonar
2010-09-06, 10:27 AM
To be fair, they were used to being commanded what to do all their lives. When they are freed, what exactly is their purpose? RoE mentioned in "a day in the life of a Warforged" that a battalion waited out in front of a military base for three days because someone forgot to dismiss them. Its hard to make the transition from "always do what you're told!" to "Yeah, see the Last War ended, so we don't really need you any more. Run along now, go do what you want."

Very similar problems happen when long-term convicts are paroled, and they essentially don't know what to do with themselves because they've been ordered and commanded for most of their lives.

---

Aaaand I just came up with an idea for a psychologist for Warforged.

Urpriest
2010-09-06, 10:31 AM
Aaaand I just came up with an idea for a psychologist for Warforged.

You must name your character Susan Calvin.

Marnath
2010-09-06, 10:45 AM

Yeah, but the keyword there is prefer. They actually enjoy stuff like that. They usually have one or two things too, so they switch them up to prevent boredom. Usually though a warforged is never bored if he's got anything at all to do. It's just not a concept that they have a firm grasp on.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-06, 11:10 AM
You must name your character Susan Calvin.
Yes, you absolutely must.:smallamused:

ArcanistSupreme
2010-09-06, 12:23 PM

4. Refuse collector (hey, immune to disease, doesn't tire)

I'm sure that the lack of a sense of smell also helps here. Plus, with all of the people in Sharn and the abundance of sewers filled with House Cannith schematics, I'm sure that there are plenty of opportunities for employment.

Devils_Advocate
2010-09-06, 04:34 PM
Provided that they don't rust, I would expect warforged to be particularly useful for underwater exploration and salvage operations.

The average person works every day so that they can afford food and shelter.
There are many human beings who have time and money to devote to other things. We engage in plenty of non-biological activities unnecessary for our survival, safety, and physical comfort. (Like, say, this conversation.) So warforged really aren't so utterly unrelatable as all that.

It just hit me that warforged are going to invent wargaming, if Eberron doesn't have it already. They're highly familiar with military operations, they have lots of free time to fill, there's no reason they wouldn't.

Lord of Blades has a mostly operational creation forge up and running in the Mournlands, and House Cannith has another hidden beneath Sharn.
Shh! Those are secrets! :smalltongue:

You're talking as though a homeless warforged would spend more time outside than one with a personal domicile. But why would that be the case? I see no reason why it would need to be outdoors except when traveling from one building to another in either case; it's not like constructs need fresh air. Nor do I see why a homeless 'forged would need to move from one building to another especially frequently. A warforged could easily spend uninterrupted years at a single place of employment. (Of course, in that case, it does have a residence, but it does not own it.)

A simple house costs half of what a handy haversack does and holds more. The only particular advantage of extradimensional storage space is portability.

Well, any D&D person could buy themselves the spells needed to llive outside all the time. People still build houses, for much the same reason that people in the modern world don't just buy tents.
Warforged don't need the facilities and storage space that humans do, though. They don't need to eat, drink, urinate, defecate, bathe, rest, nor change clothes. Consequently, they need not perform other activities that facilitate these things (like cooking and laundry), nor need they have relevant amenities on hand. A warforged has way less incentive to have a personal dwelling.

Looking around my apartment, other than the things that I need to maintain my meaty existence and my apartment itself, I've pretty much just got books. I must conclude that if I were a warforged I would if possible get a job as a librarian and never have any compelling reason to leave my place of employment, unless I was required to do so.

Similarly, a 'forged who likes carpentry needn't get a private workspace of its own if its supervisor lets it work on its own projects in its employer-owned workspace on its off-hours. And if that place is where it spends all or the vast majority of its time, it's not going to buy a house so that it has a home. Because it already has a home.

And if one warforged likes building furniture and reading books, well, there's no reason that it can't work two jobs. Possibly for pretty low salaries, if that's what it takes to get the jobs that it likes... depending on how much it costs to keep a warforged in working order.

Tangentially: Cheap labor, like automation, allows for goods and services to be sold at lower prices. This allows for the purchase of more goods and services: in economic terms, increased "demand". The need to meet this growing demand results in increased demand for labor, partly in the form of spiffy new non-menial jobs doing things like overseeing all of this new mass production and producing fancy luxury goods. Once everything has been sorted out, smashing looms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite) -- or hating on the latest group of immigrant or overseas workers -- is no longer in style, and for good reason. But of course, such long-term economic likelihoods are unlikely to be much comfort to the man who has just been put out of a job...

AslanCross
2010-09-06, 05:35 PM

Ok, tailor for half-orcs, half-ogres, and other plus-size humanoids, then?

It's enough to amuse them. I mean, everyone else in the party is asleep. You're the only one who's left awake, and you can't sleep if you wanted to. What exactly do you do? o_O In their mind, making themselves useful is enough to satisfy their boredom, so they sharpen swords, polish armor, and maybe even repair clothing (or themselves if they have the kit). That said, they're perfectly capable of standing in the rain for days waiting for an order.
It all goes back to their utilitarian origin.

It just hit me that warforged are going to invent wargaming, if Eberron doesn't have it already. They're highly familiar with military operations, they have lots of free time to fill, there's no reason they wouldn't.

I now have a mental image of a small shop full of little figurines with a bunch of warforged nerds who play WH40k day and night. They never need to bathe, eat or sleep, so they can play forever.

...heck, maybe it can even start off as warforged officers planning a battle that never happened because of the Mourning, so they just rehearse it endlessly with miniatures on a scale model.

That is the coolest thing I've ever read today, and probably the coolest thing I'll see for the rest of the day. And it's only 6:41 AM.

Eldan
2010-09-06, 06:12 PM
Hey, I could see LARPing Warforged pretty easily. Get a battalion or two out in the fields, give them wooden swords (they can't get hurt easily, so that works) and let them recreate a few old battles.

FelixG
2010-09-06, 06:24 PM
Hey, I could see LARPing Warforged pretty easily. Get a battalion or two out in the fields, give them wooden swords (they can't get hurt easily, so that works) and let them recreate a few old battles.

Gives me a fun idea for an encounter.

The party comes across a valley where there are hundreds of warforged, half looking normal the other half painted like skeletons and they continually re enact the battles they were in as they can not deal with a world without war.

Eldan
2010-09-06, 06:29 PM
You should include a third faction disguised as humans. They paint their faces and hands pink and wear totally extravagant and mismatched clothing, then shout a lot of orders at the other warforged before dying for no reason at all.

I mean, think about it. How do they see ordinary humanoids? We get sick, we get old, we die, we need to eat and drink. We sure are strange.

FelixG
2010-09-06, 06:38 PM
You should include a third faction disguised as humans. They paint their faces and hands pink and wear totally extravagant and mismatched clothing, then shout a lot of orders at the other warforged before dying for no reason at all.

I mean, think about it. How do they see ordinary humanoids? We get sick, we get old, we die, we need to eat and drink. We sure are strange.

There is a reason the Lord of Blades wants to munch us all :P

Fax Celestis
2010-09-06, 07:05 PM

My next Eberron character is totally going to have a Warforged 40000 gaming hobby.

BladeofOblivion
2010-09-06, 07:20 PM
My next Eberron character is totally going to have a Warforged 40000 gaming hobby.

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FUTURE, THE NECRONS ALREADY WON. WHY DO WE EVEN BOTHER WITH THIS?

Fax Celestis
2010-09-06, 07:25 PM
IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FUTURE, THE NECRONS ALREADY WON. WHY DO WE EVEN BOTHER WITH THIS?

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FUTURE, THERE IS ONLY KARRNATH.

BladeofOblivion
2010-09-06, 07:44 PM
IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FUTURE, THERE ARE ONLY WARFORGED. AND THEY ARE BORING, I MEAN, COUNTING ROCKS AS A HOBBY? REALLY? AT LEAST THEY SOMETIMES REENACT THE OLD WARS, BUT STILL...

+1 keyboard of rambling at work.

The White Knight
2010-09-06, 07:58 PM
Just wanted to drop in and say that this thread has sealed the deal on Warforged being my favorite D&D race ever published.

Marnath
2010-09-06, 09:00 PM
*stuff*

You're talking as though a homeless warforged would spend more time outside than one with a personal domicile. But why would that be the case? I see no reason why it would need to be outdoors except when traveling from one building to another in either case; it's not like constructs need fresh air. Nor do I see why a homeless 'forged would need to move from one building to another especially frequently. A warforged could easily spend uninterrupted years at a single place of employment. (Of course, in that case, it does have a residence, but it does not own it.)

*stuff*

You make several excellent points sir. :smallsmile:
That's really a well put together post, thanks. If it was me though, I still think I'd spring for the weather and corrosion negating enhancements.

LOTRfan
2010-09-06, 09:12 PM
Just wanted to drop in and say that this thread has sealed the deal on Warforged being my favorite D&D race ever published.

Yes. Warforged are my favorite as well. Robots are just awesome. MAGIC robots? Even better.

But lets see how much you love them after the Cylons take over...
:smalltongue:

Vilyathas
2010-09-06, 09:25 PM
In a campaign of mine, the warforged reorganized themselves into a wandering tribe governed by a hierarchy of Alphas, down to the Epsilons soldiers and laborers.

Then they found this huge ruined city in the middle of a magical wasteland (think radiation, mutated monsters, etc) and decided to rebuild it as the capital city for their Free Warforged Nation. So, now half the warforged population is out in the world, working as mercenaries and craftsmen to buy construction materials, while the other half works 24/7 on the city. Being warforged, they don't need to cultivate farmlands, and their physiology could stand the magical radiation of the wastelands, and being a big army of ex-soldiers, monsters were quickly dealt with.

Lamech
2010-09-06, 09:26 PM
Until the next warforged asks for slightly less and gets the job instead, since neither needs the money to survive. The free market pushes prices down to the cost of producing services, and warforged have very few inherent costs.
Yes while I suppose this would drive down the cost some, but most labours would still be human. Ah, but the humans still need the money and there isn't enough warforged labour to go around. (Is their?) All the war-forged would become employed and then a different employer would offer slightly more to poach the warforged labourer. Prices might drop a little but not much.

JoshuaZ
2010-09-06, 09:30 PM
IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FUTURE, THERE ARE ONLY WARFORGED. AND THEY ARE BORING, I MEAN, COUNTING ROCKS AS A HOBBY? REALLY? AT LEAST THEY SOMETIMES REENACT THE OLD WARS, BUT STILL...

Actually, some warforged don't just count the rocks, they use them to simulate Turing machines. Forgotten Realms is just a simulation of one very bored warforged.

(Yes, this is shamelessly stolen from xkcd (http://xkcd.com/505/))

Rogue 7
2010-09-06, 09:33 PM

+1 keyboard of rambling at work.

I'm honestly only posting so that you all can see my signature.

The White Knight
2010-09-06, 09:35 PM
Warforged get paid less due to their Wisdom (and thus Profession) penalty, obviously. All this talk of economics is making my d20 sad.

Lord Raziere
2010-09-06, 09:58 PM
I can see Warforged dedicating their life to becoming a historian and chronicling all of history and basically becoming a walking textbook of knowledge, forever writing down the important events of the times.

and now I have an idea for another Eberron character.

another idea for a warforged would probably be one trying to find ways to experience emotions and feelings and become a bard, and would eventually become a walking jukebox of songs and music and perfecting every instrument and song ever requested.

I could could see two Warforged that like Chess sitting down and playing Chess forever, or at least for a very long time until they go looking for another game to play against each other. I could just imagine the banter.
"I will win at this newest strategy game yet, Rook"
"Not if I win first, Knight. Your strategy will be demolished by mine."
They would eventually became the two greatest strategists in existence.

and of course there is always the warforged that could perfect themselves into the perfect king and rule a nation forever.

Marnath
2010-09-06, 10:02 PM
another idea for a warforged would probably be one trying to find ways to experience emotions and feelings and become a bard, and would eventually become a walking jukebox of songs and music and perfecting every instrument and song ever requested.

Technically they do feel emotions and stuff, they just have no idea how to express them or cope. So they repress them.

darkpuppy
2010-09-07, 12:33 AM
Well, some repress them. Others, like the Lord of Blades, go whackjob, go the whole Davros route... others take even weirder routes (look at the Warforged cult in the Mournlands that are building their Gods)... Warforged are actually incredibly complex characters once you get the hang of them.

To be honest, as a GM who likes to run Eberron, a lot of the players here are really impressing me with their potential character concepts... the idea of a Warforged historian is definitely making it into my main campaign world.

Dr Gunsforhands
2010-09-07, 01:00 AM
I had a battle of the bands in one of my games and the final round was my players versus a band of Warforged Bards. They had all found instrument Warforged components from Xendrik, so they had things like electric guitars. They played heavy metal.

Warforged musicians have all the time in the world to practice.

Thrawn183
2010-09-07, 12:37 PM
I'm thinking the best way of wrapping this up is just making a decision. Either:

1) Warforged are very different from humanoids. Don't try and apply economics to a group that will just dig ditches every day because they like it. This leads to very flavorful warforged that you'd find in the weirdest situations.

2) Warforged are very similar to humanoids. As our income is merely a reflection of our production, warforged would have high income while very low expenses. This leads to warforged being extremely wealthy.

HunterOfJello
2010-09-07, 12:49 PM
Warforged share many of the same desires that humanoids do and will work towards those goals. However, Warforged have little to no need for what most humanoids consider basic requirements.

A human, gnome or dwarf works to build wealth in order to eat, clothe themself, and pay for some kind of residence where they can sleep, bathe and take care of all their bodily necessities while in private. Humanoids often have children and have to spend lots of time, effort and money to raise them providing them the same necessities that humanoids have.

Warforged do not have any of these necessities or limitations. They bear a natural freedom that humanoids can seldom enjoy. They do not need to eat, clothe themselves, sleep, bathe (at least they don't need to get hosed down as often) and they cannot reproduce.
~

This leads to Warforged working for money in the same way that humans, dwarves and other humanoids do, but without the same financial and physical burdens that humanoids have. Because of this, they can decide to work in a shop for 12 years or to go sailing on the high seas. They can continue to work in a mediocre job that is not very satisfying, or they can walk away from it the next day and go off adventuring.

Without the large number of burdens that all humanoids endure, Warforged can live their lives however they want to. Their only true limitation is prejudice from other races and the limits of their imagination.

~

Note: I hadn't fully contemplated all of this until after I read through the Warforged section of Races of Eberron. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it's a great read for anyone looking to play in or run an Eberron campaign. (I think I'll even go create a Warforged DMPC based on these ideas for my campaign for fun now.)

Marnath
2010-09-07, 12:49 PM
I'm thinking the best way of wrapping this up is just making a decision. Either:

1) Warforged are very different from humanoids. Don't try and apply economics to a group that will just dig ditches every day because they like it. This leads to very flavorful warforged that you'd find in the weirdest situations.

And/or

2) Warforged are very similar to humanoids. As our income is merely a reflection of our production, warforged would have high income while very low expenses. This leads to warforged being extremely wealthy.

Fixed that for you. ^_^
They're not mutually exclusive.

LOTRfan
2010-09-07, 01:18 PM
(look at the Warforged cult in the Mournlands that are building their Gods)...

Wait, what?:smalleek:
That is so cool! I have to incorporate that into a campaign... What source is that from? Faiths of Eberron?

EDIT: Nevermind. :smallamused: (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060804b&page=1)

Greenish
2010-09-07, 01:38 PM
I could could see two Warforged that like Chess sitting down and playing Chess forever, or at least for a very long time until they go looking for another game to play against each other. I could just imagine the banter.
"I will win at this newest strategy game yet, Rook"
"Not if I win first, Knight. Your strategy will be demolished by mine."They'd spend a decade playing rock-paper-scissors… and keeping tally.

AslanCross
2010-09-07, 05:58 PM
Wait, what?:smalleek:
That is so cool! I have to incorporate that into a campaign... What source is that from? Faiths of Eberron?

EDIT: Nevermind. :smallamused: (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060804b&page=1)

That article is a lie.
This is their god.

http://forum.sibnet.ru/uploads/post-3334-1235658166.jpg

Snake-Aes
2010-09-07, 06:02 PM
A god literally built of awesome. I can work with that.