PDA

View Full Version : Quickest way to get into Teflammar Shadowlord?

Talbot
2010-09-05, 02:29 PM
I'm working on a shadowy/assassiny build, and I'd like to take that class as soon as possible in the build. The problem is the extensive requirements for getting in... the best idea I've had so far (Swordsage with DM approval for Shadow Jump counting as Shadow Walk) is iffy at best, and I'd love to be able to cram in a bunch of levels of assassin after I finish with the Shadowlord levels (although if I do end up using Swordsage, I definitely want the Shadowhand level 9 maneuver, so I probably can't have both). Anyways, what's the best/quickest way to get into Teflammar Shadowlord without eating that +1 LA template?

Greenish
2010-09-05, 02:38 PM
Shadowpounce is cool and all, but Battle Jump from Unapproachable East combined with Pounce does much the same, at the cost of one feat and one level in barbarian. Shadowlord has very annoying entry requirements.

Talbot
2010-09-05, 02:38 PM
Shadowpounce is cool and all, but Battle Jump from Unapproachable East combined with Pounce does much the same, at the cost of one feat and one level in barbarian. Shadowlord has very annoying entry requirements.

Yeah, but it's much more thematically appropriate for my guy. I especially like the "can't be killed except in direct sunlight" power.

true_shinken
2010-09-05, 02:44 PM

Battle Jump requires you to either be a taer or to somehow convince your DM that a race of giant man-eating beasts raised you.
Regional feats make fluff requirements become crunch requirements.
So Battle Jump is also on the very annoying entry requirements territory.

I'm working on a shadowy/assassiny build, and I'd like to take that class as soon as possible in the build. The problem is the extensive requirements for getting in... the best idea I've had so far (Swordsage with DM approval for Shadow Jump counting as Shadow Walk) is iffy at best, and I'd love to be able to cram in a bunch of levels of assassin after I finish with the Shadowlord levels (although if I do end up using Swordsage, I definitely want the Shadowhand level 9 maneuver, so I probably can't have both). Anyways, what's the best/quickest way to get into Teflammar Shadowlord without eating that +1 LA template?
Rogue 3/XXX 4 works if you take the Shape Soulmeld (blink shirt) feat. You'd need a few bonus feats, I believe.

Greenish
2010-09-05, 02:47 PM
Battle Jump requires you to either be a taer or to somehow convince your DM that a race of giant man-eating beats raised you.Being raised by giant man-eating beets makes for a brilliant backstory though. :smallamused:

true_shinken
2010-09-05, 02:50 PM
Being raised by giant man-eating beets makes for a brilliant backstory though. :smallamused:

I agree, but that might not be suitable for a lot of games.

Greenish
2010-09-05, 03:00 PM
I agree, but that might not be suitable for a lot of games.Man. Giant man-eating beets!

Rock'n'Roll!
http://www.feistees.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/btsdg.jpg

Drama! http://makingfoodandotherstuff.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/dead-beet-dad.jpg?w=286&h=329

Pathos!
http://www.mattikaarts.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/beet_gelee/sage_gelee_beets.jpg

Everything a great backstory needs! There can be no campaign where such a story couldn't fit in, nay, enrich the world!

true_shinken
2010-09-05, 03:07 PM
Man. Giant man-eating beets!

Oh, a typo. Now I see.

Greenish
2010-09-05, 03:08 PM
Oh, a typo. Now I see.I couldn't think how giant man-eating beats would raise anyone (though it would probably rock), so I had to do with beets. :smallcool:

Cieyrin
2010-09-05, 03:56 PM
Battle Jump requires you to either be a taer or to somehow convince your DM that a race of giant man-eating beasts raised you.
Regional feats make fluff requirements become crunch requirements.
So Battle Jump is also on the very annoying entry requirements territory

Actually, since it requires the Taer region, not to be a Taer, all you need if you're not a Taer is Knowledge(Local(Taer)) 2 ranks. Easily achievable at level 1 by most anybody, especially if you're a low int type, since you weren't expecting to be the skill monkey of the party, anyways. Plus, you can amaze your friends by how much you know about smelly giant monkeys off in the mountains. :smallbiggrin:

true_shinken
2010-09-05, 04:00 PM
Actually, since it requires the Taer region, not to be a Taer, all you need if you're not a Taer is Knowledge(Local(Taer)) 2 ranks. Easily achievable at level 1 by most anybody, especially if you're a low int type, since you weren't expecting to be the skill monkey of the party, anyways. Plus, you can amaze your friends by how much you know about smelly giant monkeys off in the mountains. :smallbiggrin:

This trick does not work in 3.5, Player's Guide to Faerun outright states it.

arguskos
2010-09-05, 04:01 PM
This no longer works. Player's Guide to Faerun overwrites ALL the old rules specifically, and that is called out as no longer functioning. Sidebar on page 33 clarifies this.

IdleMuse
2010-09-05, 04:10 PM
Being a Human from Thesk means you should be able to get in after straight Swordsage 7, subject to DM approval for the Shadow Walk=Shadow Jump trick and the Assassin's Stance=qualification for Sneak Attack. You have enough feats by that level to qualify. Getting in before then means bypassing the max skill ranks/level, which either means some serious cheese or a lot of bonus feats somehow.

If your DM won't let Assassin's Stance qualify you, then Lurk might, depending again on DM, let you qualify in one level, or certainly two, which has certain benefits over Rogue 1/Sneak Attack Fighter 1, namely a couple of useful Psionic powers (Compression is good for an assassin?).

arguskos
2010-09-05, 04:17 PM
Well, with LA buyoff you can be a Shadow-Walker Human [Thesk] Rogue 7. That should do it, and is probably the intended entry.

I think you could probably swing it with Shadow-Walker Human [Thesk] SA Fighter 3/Human Paragon 3/<whatevs> 1 as well. That's just a guess though though.

Cieyrin
2010-09-05, 04:30 PM
This no longer works. Player's Guide to Faerun overwrites ALL the old rules specifically, and that is called out as no longer functioning. Sidebar on page 33 clarifies this.

Hmm, disappointing. Guess I missed that sidebar...