PDA

View Full Version : New From Degausser

Degausser
2010-09-05, 04:08 PM
Hello all. Some of you may remember me as the guy who remade most of the OoTS using the custom character creater in Soul Calibur IV. Well, I recently decided to go through Neverwinter Nights 2 again, specifically, the Storm of Zeheir expantion, when I got an idea.

You can SORT OF cheat and allow yourself to have six people in the party that you have created (it does involve a little messing around with files, but you can have six people in your party anyway, so it's no big cheat.

HOW TO READ: On the left is the character stats, including what what weapon is currently equipped, stats, and what classes they are. On the right is their invintory, including what armor they have currently equipped. Everyone except V has armor that has been enchanted and given a special name (you are allowed to do that in NWN2) Everyone except V, Haley, and Belkar has a weapon that has been enchanted and given a unique name (I just don't have enough money to do everyone's yet. Check out some of the names I made for the items, I think some of them are funny.

As I get more money and enchant recipies (and levels) I will make the weapons more and more like what they represent in the comic.

I give to you the OoTS, Neverwinter Nights 2 style:
Roy (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Degausser/NWN2_SS_090510_124655.jpg)
V-man (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Degausser/NWN2_SS_090510_124637.jpg)
Durkon Thundershield (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Degausser/NWN2_SS_090510_124623.jpg) <--Check out special armor!
Haley Starshine (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Degausser/NWN2_SS_090510_124614.jpg)
Belkar Bitterleaf (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Degausser/NWN2_SS_090510_124603.jpg)
Elan (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Degausser/NWN2_SS_090510_124551.jpg) <-Check out name of Rapier

Couple things I had to change to make them work in the game well. Here they are:

1)Roy doesn't have blue armor. So sad, but maybe I can find an enchant for it later on.
2)The game doesn't allow elves, of any subrace, to have purple hair, so V had to settle for blue. I also may have misspelled his/her name. Also, V uses a bow, even though s/he doesn't in the strip, because s/he needs something to do when s/he runs out of spells
3)Durkon has the domains "War" and "Air" to give him the ability to wield a warhammer as well as lightning bolt. There is also no "Thor" god, so he cannot worship Thor in Forgotten Realms
4)I gave Haley a chain shirt for better protection. There is no multishot feat in the game.
5)Belkar has a chain shirt because he was taking too much damage with leather, He is also 50-50 barbarian ranger in order to avoid the 30% XP reduction for nonfavored classes. His alignment also reflects his alignment after his coma-induced personal growth.
6)There is no "Dashing swordsman" prestige class, so Elan is going for bard, mostly, but still with an emphasis on the Rapier.

littlekKID
2010-09-06, 10:07 AM
neat! :smallbiggrin:

Kish
2010-09-06, 10:13 AM
His alignment also reflects his alignment after his coma-induced personal growth.
...If I was certain the facepalm images people sometimes post are actually legal to post here, I would totally post one of them now.

Degausser
2010-09-06, 10:23 AM
...If I was certain the facepalm images people sometimes post are actually legal to post here, I would totally post one of them now.

That would be a much more effective jab if I knew what you were actually getting at. Since people in Storm of Zeheir CANNOT change their alignment (unlike the previous two games) my choice was to have Balkar go through the entire game as chaotic evil, or start him out at the post-change alignment.

If you think that his new alignment should be something else, then there is a lot of debate on the forums of what that new alignment should be. My argument is that he is either chaotic or True Neutral. He's not good by any stretch of the imagination, but he has stopped being 'outright evil' Sometimes he helps (or tries to help) his teammates, but sometimes he's a jerk He still has his barbarian powers, so he's not lawful, thus either chaotic or true neutral.

Marnath
2010-09-06, 11:20 AM
If you think that his new alignment should be something else, then there is a lot of debate on the forums of what that new alignment should be.

Full stop. His alignment hasn't changed at all. He's a CE pretending to be good-ish.

Kish
2010-09-06, 11:55 AM
If you think that his new alignment should be something else, then there is a lot of debate on the forums of what that new alignment should be. My argument is that he is either chaotic or True Neutral.
Once upon a time, there was a blatantly evil character named Belkar Bitterleaf. And, for some strange reason, a lot of people thought he was Chaotic Neutral. Finally, one day, his writer posted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=559967&postcount=4) on the forum, "What comic have you been reading? When has there ever been any ambiguity about Belkar's alignment?" He argued down the people who were still prepared to argue, and his words were reposted for a while, and the theory that Belkar was not Chaotic Evil gradually gave way to the theory that Belkar had been Chaotic Evil, but his alignment had changed. Whenever a strip failed to show Belkar doing something explicitly horrible, someone could be counted on to bring up this theory.

Then, Belkar had a coma dream/vision quest, and decided to fake character development. He made it clear that this was only a means to the end of surviving while continuing to be as vile as ever. Moreover, it didn't fool anyone in the world where Belkar existed. "True, but I'm pretending not to be--I mean, trying not to be!" Of course, it was absolutely predictable that any number of people in the real world--starting with all of the people who had said Belkar was Chaotic Neutral until his author explicitly contradicted them--would ignore the blatant falsity of Belkar's "character development" and all indications of his unchanged evil.

Zevox
2010-09-06, 12:17 PM
If you think that his new alignment should be something else, then there is a lot of debate on the forums of what that new alignment should be.
Which forums are you talking about? Because it's not these ones. Even the few oddballs who suggest that Belkar's fake development might lead to actual development have never suggested that it already has, much less that his little "vision" immediately changed his alignment. Closest we ever came to that was a couple of people who suggested he might be Neutral Evil post-vision due to curbing his immediate gratification instincts, and even they weren't taken seriously by most of the posters here.

Zevox

Degausser
2010-09-06, 07:56 PM
Fine, whatever, I'm an idiot for thinking that Belkar acting neutral of his own volition meant that he was neutral. Sorry, my bad, won't ever happen again. Good thing you guys jumped down my throat for voicing my opinion.

I'm not going to get into a big debate over what alignment truly represents or how one comes to it, and if you want to go on with the idea that Belkar is Chaotic Evil, that's fine, there is certainly an argument for it. Personally, I think he realized (with the aid of the vision-coma-thing) that being Chaotic Evil is going to bite him in the butt later on, and he's stumbling trying to figure out how to not be evil. That's how I read it.

Now, to sit back and wait for people to tell me how much my opinion is wrong and how I am stupid, instead of . . . oh, I don't know, just enjoying the pure diversionary thing I posted for fun. 'Cuse everyone has to pick apart and belittle everything on the internet.

Marnath
2010-09-06, 09:48 PM
No one is jumping down your throat. You voiced a theory, and Kish and Zevox provided compelling arguements against your case..including Word of Mod. If they were really being mean to you, their posts would be nothing but {scrubbed} right now.

*edit: Your stuff is cool too, by the way. :smallsmile:

rewinn
2010-09-06, 09:59 PM
Your stuff is cool too, by the way. :smallsmile:
I think it's cool too.

A pity the thread sidetracked ... I'd like to see more of this cosplay if it's o.k. with Teh Giant.

Lego OOTS?

Crisis21
2010-09-06, 10:01 PM
Lego OOTS?

:smalleek: Can the universe even handle that much awesome?

Degausser
2010-09-07, 12:18 AM
Video games that can support OoTS-style stuff

If you think of more, make sure to tell me!

Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir (as I have shown.)
Icewind Dale 2: I have done this, and at least one other person has as well (though I forgot who, but they posted a screenshot.)
Soul Calibur 3&4: Both of which feature character creation modes, though sadly, no non-human sized creatures, so no Belkar nor Durkon
Elder Scrolls series: You could certainly make Haley, Elan, or Roy in those games.
Dragon Age: Origins: You could certainly make Roy, Elan, Haley, or V in that game.

bobthehero
2010-09-07, 01:29 AM
With oblivion mods you can do it, i remember editing a custom child companion to make him look like Frodo/Halfling, and there is a Dwarf race too.

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-07, 03:54 AM
I'm curious. Has anyone tried to make OotS characters on Aion? They had a pretty good character creation system from what I could tell.

The Succubus
2010-09-07, 09:03 AM
That was pretty much the only good bit about that horrible grindfest.

Also, awesome work there Degausser - keep it coming =D

Degausser
2010-09-08, 02:07 AM
Hey guys, quick question. I know that Rich doesn't want people taking and cutting up and changing his comic (so much so that he doesn't want people to go at it with new dialog for language translations.) That's fine, his vision, his artistic licence.

I was wondering how far that extended? I did something else recently, just a random whim, and I took pictures from the strip and edited them VERY slightly, just removed word balloons and stuff so that I could get a good profile. I have not posted them anywhere yet, and I will not do so if that is what he wants. Just remembered it right before I posted, so I thought I'd double check.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-08, 05:02 PM
Hey guys, quick question. I know that Rich doesn't want people taking and cutting up and changing his comic (so much so that he doesn't want people to go at it with new dialog for language translations.) That's fine, his vision, his artistic licence.

I was wondering how far that extended? I did something else recently, just a random whim, and I took pictures from the strip and edited them VERY slightly, just removed word balloons and stuff so that I could get a good profile. I have not posted them anywhere yet, and I will not do so if that is what he wants. Just remembered it right before I posted, so I thought I'd double check.

The answer is almost certainly going to be no. You'd have to ask Rich though. We can't exactly speak for him.

Moriarty
2010-09-08, 09:26 PM

I don't know much about the legal stuff, but as far as I can remember, Rich dislikes direkt use of the comic drawings.
You'd have to pm an admin for specifics, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't post that stuff anywhere.

edit: grammar mostly fixed. shouldn't try to post in english at five in the morning :smallsigh:

Marnath
2010-09-08, 09:59 PM
I don't know much about the legal stuff, but as far as I can remember, Rich dislikes direkt use of the comic drawings.
You'd have to pm an admin for specifics, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't post that stuff anywhere.

edit: grammar mostly fixed. shouldn't try to post in english at five in the morning :smallsigh:

Don't worry, I've seen native speakers do worse on a full nights sleep....

Degausser
2010-09-08, 11:00 PM
The thing is, I didn't co-opt any comics or anything. All I did was grab pics of the main cast and edit-out any cropped word balloons or other stuff. I'm not doing strip slays, I just needed pictures of the cast.

But, it's Rich's strip, and if he doesn't want that stuff, he doesn't want that stuff.

Dark Faun
2010-09-09, 04:57 AM
I think Rich tolerates tracing over his characters with Inkscape, which isn't that difficult when you have a good tutorial (http://www.trazoi.net/tutorials/inkscape/oots/) and would yield the same result.

pendell
2010-09-09, 03:51 PM
Degausser,

Thank you for your contribution of Neverwinter Nights OOTS-style. While I also believe that Belkar is CE, I choose rather to celebrate and appreciate your accomplishment rather than nitpick the details. It is far more than *I* have ever contributed here.

It's sort of like trotting out the next Mona Lisa and getting hung up over the fact that the dress is painted in a dye that didn't exist in the time frame. Yeah, it is. Just roll with it. Good art and technical accuracy don't always go hand-in-hand.

So once again, thank you.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Dark Faun
2010-09-10, 08:46 AM
Speaking of Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir... I made Miko Miyazaki along time ago. Played her on her own since, you know, she sucks at teamwork. Gave her a longsword and shortsword instead of a daishō because there's no wakizashi in the game and I save a feat that way. Paladins with Evasion are cool.

Should go back to playing that campaign...

Maxios
2010-09-10, 04:37 PM
I once had an OOTs video game thread, and someone posted a picture of the Order in Neverwinter Nights, but I can't remember if it was the first or second.

In other words, I so need to get this game just to create OOTs characters and play them through the game. Plus, with that campaign creator in there, someone could actually make a quest or online campaign set in OOTs world with the quests and areas modeled off the comic.

littlekKID
2010-09-10, 07:57 PM
I did Sims 3 Order Of The Stick...

Degausser
2010-09-11, 11:25 AM
I once had an OOTs video game thread, and someone posted a picture of the Order in Neverwinter Nights, but I can't remember if it was the first or second.

In other words, I so need to get this game just to create OOTs characters and play them through the game. Plus, with that campaign creator in there, someone could actually make a quest or online campaign set in OOTs world with the quests and areas modeled off the comic.

The first NwN game, and all of it's expantions, only let you create one character. You could get one other henchman, but they were always pre-generated. Actually, in NWN2 first and second games, the same was true. This is only possible in Storm of Zeheir. Although it's not impossible to simply make six characters in six seperate campaigns.

Also, I remembered there is a game called "Temple of Elemental Evil" that uses a different game Engine, and it had spaces for FIVE characters, so you could make the OOtS minus Belkar or Elan or someone.

Degausser
2010-09-13, 12:18 AM
Thought this was funny: I just started up a pathfinder game, and our resident Elven wizard named his Raven Animal companion "Blackwing." Kinda funny. He claims that a distant relative of his was a powerful Elven wizard who specialized in evocation, and had a baker of a spouse. No one really believes him. Also, he's an Illusionist.

Secondly, there is a Gnome Druid, sadly, female, and her last name is not "windstaff."

Maxios
2010-09-21, 11:33 PM
Could've also been Icewind Dale 1 or 2, because those had you create a whole group at the start. And yes, I did make an Icewind Dale version of OOTs. They actually did pretty well.