PDA

View Full Version : In the Eye of Hate

Axinian
2010-09-05, 04:31 PM
Premise again:

Fate has not been kind to the port city of Milgard. A once prosperous center of trade and industry has fallen victim to crime and neglect. Its once productive and ambitious citizens now remain secluded in their houses. Its once bustling streets have fallen into disrepair. Even its back alleys are shadows of their former selves. Insects infest every nook and cranny, and rampant necromancy has exhausted the city's clerics. The town guard is corrupt and lazy. They might as well join the criminal gangs they are charged with stopping. The sky is constantly overcast, and rain has become regular weather. These changes came suddenly and severely, but no one knows from where. There are all manner of crime lords and cults who would wish this to happen, but none have claimed responsibility.

You won't stand for this. This city was once the jewel of the continent! Whether the perpetrator is a cult leader or mad politician, you will stop them. You will not be a slave to misery and despair.

You will venture into The Eye of Hate and emerge victorious!

Today is a good day. As good as days are allowed to be in Milgard. Just for today, feuds will be forgotten, people will walk the streets without fear. Crime will take a back seat to hope. Today is the day of the Festival of the Far Moon, which celebrates the appearance of a moon visible only on this day each year. It will remain in the sky all day and through the night, then disappear into its distant orbit, like a mother peeking in on her children's playtime. Today people will tell themselves that their miseries do not exist and revel in the festivities.

This is a lie of course. The crime lords will still exist, disease will still spread. They will be even more prominent on this day then ever, since they too will take to the streets for feasting and dancing. Enemies will find new reasons to begrudge each other, and merchants will be selling stolen goods back to the people they stole them from ("Hey! That's just what I need!"). The hidden infrastructure will still be there, just slightly more relaxed.

There will be rows of booths filled with games and food. Plazas where just the previous day there were beggars demanding bread will be occupied by dancers. The mayor will make a speech detailing how he will crack down on crime and corruption (also a lie), and people will pretend to believe him this time. The plight of the city will still hang over people's heads, but they will be able to mostly forget about it today. Ignorance is bliss as they say.

---------------

It was surprising for you to hear that there would actually be security looking out for danger. Usually the mob bosses take turns each year bribing the mayor to not set up such measures. They even took volunteers. Perhaps this is a small, oh so small, change for the better?

There are a few ways your character can be introduced. You can begin having enlisted in Festival Security, you can be partaking in festivities, or you can be arriving town just now. You can also be off doing your own thing if you'd like. It's around noon now, and the festival is in full swing.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-05, 04:43 PM
Derron

Derron bid farewell to the caravan that had brought him here and entered the city, sword at his side.

As her walked through the streets he couldn't help but join in with a troupe of performers, comedy having been his profession for over a decade.

----------
Perform (Comedy): [roll0]
Assuming I make any money I'll pass it out to some beggar I see, as long as they don't register on my Paladar (aka Detect Evil).

I'll screw around until the mayor's speech if that's ok.

Axinian
2010-09-05, 04:48 PM
Derron

Derron bid farewell to the caravan that had brought him here and entered the city, sword at his side.

As her walked through the streets he couldn't help but join in with a troupe of performers, comedy having been his profession for over a decade.

----------
Perform (Comedy): [roll0]
Assuming I make any money I'll pass it out to some beggar I see, as long as they don't register on my Paladar (aka Detect Evil).

I'll screw around until the mayor's speech if that's ok.
That's fine and dandy.

You make a little bit of money. People are still rather stingy (understandably so). You give it to a beggar, who is quite surprised that someone actually bothered to pay attention to him. He smiles at you soundlessly, revealing that, through some missing teeth, he has no tongue.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-05, 04:56 PM
Derron

Panting slightly Derron hands overbthe coins with a smile. Enjoy it you hear me.

Cleavon
2010-09-05, 05:13 PM
Cleavon

Standing on a corner, thick arms crossed over his chest stood a tree of a man, or at least it held the shape of a man. The Warforged had joined the Security forces for this event as a vounteer, his cobalt blue metal plating gleaming whenever the light filtered through the city and caught its sheen.

His eyes kept vigilant as he watched the rows of games and vendors. His head seemed to be on a swivel, working back and forth along the crowd to attempt to thwart any pick pocketing or break up any arguements that may turn to blows.

So far, it had been a slow day.

Observing the crowd intently, figure I'm making spot checks every now and again. Here's one. [roll0]

Axinian
2010-09-05, 05:31 PM
DERRON:
The beggar nods vigorously and dashes off down the street, heading the same direction you were, towards the Princep's Square, which is the largest public forum in town and the hub of the festival.

CLEAVON
That spot check didn't show up.

Cleavon
2010-09-05, 05:46 PM
Cleavon makes a spot check(I hope!)

[roll0]

Malakar
2010-09-05, 05:46 PM
Standing calmly in the center of the public square Ushuy checks once again with Talos to confirm the storm to come:

Uses Omen of Peril on waiting in the square.

Axinian
2010-09-05, 05:48 PM
Cleavon sees a rather happy disheveled man run into the square from a nearby street and head straight towards to the food booths. Otherwise, he spys nothing worth noting.

For Ushuy only

You receive a result of "Great Peril" from your spell.

userpay
2010-09-05, 06:00 PM
Cylirr

A hooded figure in the robes of Pelor, silver-white hair spilling from the hood and swell of the chest indicating that it is female, sits on the side of the street. With a lyre in her lap she appears to observe the going ons of the festival, soft music radiating outward as dark fingers dance across the strings.
------------------
Playing for the hell of it pretty much rather than for money.
Perform:Strings [roll0]

Gamblerjoe
2010-09-05, 06:28 PM
nameless warforged

It has been a long time since this warforged last set foot inside a large city. Today was a good day to test the waters. The 'fleshies' were having a rather large celebration which would bring all manner of people out into the streets. If any of the people he wised to avoid were here, he would surely see them. In this event he could easily escape into the crowd, gaining the benefit of this new information at little risk.

So, the nameless warforged makes his way down the busy streets. He mostly ignores the kiosks and street performers, scanning the crowds for any faces or symbols he recognizes.

Spot
[roll0]

Malakar
2010-09-05, 06:35 PM
Ushuy proceeds to head off to an alleyway near the tallest building overlooking the square, where he will proceed to fly up and land on the roof of said building, to look down at the square.

Axinian
2010-09-05, 06:46 PM
Cylirr:
People seem pleased to hear your music, but your being a drow tends to make people shy away from you.

"Shadowmage":

You see no one that you recognize, but you do happen to see a couple people with clothing bearing this symbol:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs408.snc4/47132_149292231760419_100000389302077_305385_66116 11_n.jpg
One person you see is human, the other a lizardfolk.

Ushuy:
If you don't want to be seen by security, make a hide check.

Malakar
2010-09-05, 07:11 PM
I don't really care too much about security, but I would be trying to avoid getting too much attention from the crowd, which is why I'm putting big buildings in between them and me so I'll assume I'm being fairly circumspect about it:

[roll0]

Cleavon
2010-09-05, 07:45 PM
Cleavon

His eyes caught the man but he payed him no mind, figuring that he was simply in a rush to beg a scrap of bread from the food vendors. The warforged was able to simply stand like a statue, truly towering above the humans and other flesh races who wandered and bustled about.

Shades of Gray
2010-09-05, 08:31 PM
Clara

The mute girl was standing at one of the game booths, intrigued. She gestured towards one of the prizes, taking out a pouch where she kept her gold. It seemed that she wanted to pay for it rather than playing the game. In truth she didn't really know that it was a game at all.

userpay
2010-09-05, 08:32 PM
Cylirr

With a small smile and a sigh Cylirr ceases her music, even with the gift of music and relative concealment of her faith the skin gives her away. She splays one hand, looking thoughtfully at it. A never ending curse. With a shrug she places her lyre in its case, and standing, stretches. Well regardless tis a day for merriment. She thinks as she begins walking towards the square, glancing at wares on display. Some gloves might be nice... maybe even a mask.
------------
Que entering and wandering around the square, only half serious about the clothing additions. Though if masks would be appropriate for the festival then mayhaps...

Axinian
2010-09-06, 01:19 AM
Clara:
The booth keeper is not about to turn down your offer of extra cash, so you are able to purchase the prize. It is a small, plushie-type doll of the patron spirit of the city: Ozoth, He Who Commands Tides.

Cylirr:
There are masks, but only the kind that cover the top half of your face (think Venetian carnival masks). You find some festive gloves as well.

Ushuy:
You get to the rooftop unnoticed by security. The volunteers in this area seem to be distracted by activity in back alleys.
You can make a spot check if you wish.

Cleavon:
Make a listen check.

Derron:
It is about this time you arrive in the square.

Malakar
2010-09-06, 01:39 AM
Spot [roll0]

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-06, 03:35 AM
Derron

Ensuring the cloth sleeve he used to cover his blade was in place (he's not trying to conceal it at all, just make sure the blade is covered so as not to provoke hostility) Derron enters the square, walking through the crowds like a fish in a stream. He isn't heading anywhere in particular; he has no money for games and didn't need food.

----------
I guess he'll aim for where the mayor will make his speech.

Cleavon
2010-09-06, 03:54 AM
Cleavon

Cleavon, what do you metal ears hear?

[roll0] Not much aparently

Gamblerjoe
2010-09-06, 11:19 AM
"shadowmage"

knowledge (arcana) to identify the symbol (unless of corse it is the symbol of the lord or wizard i escaped from.)
[roll0]

Carefully observing the two individuals, the warforged attempts to remain hidden in the crowds. He inconspicuously follows them wherever they go trying to glean any information he can about who they are, and where their organization congregates. he feels a sense of pirde that he is finally putting his training to use.

whichever rolls might be necessary:
hide: [roll1]
move silent: [roll2]
spot: [roll3]
listen: [roll4]
search: [roll5]

Axinian
2010-09-06, 12:08 PM
CLEAVON:
You don't hear anything out of the ordinary.

SHADOWMAGE:
You don't recognize anything about the symbol, but you make good progress following the two individuals for a time, but you lose them in a crowd before you can figure out where they're going.

Shades of Gray
2010-09-06, 12:57 PM
Clara

The psion smiled, holding her brand new doll. It reminded her of the dolls she had back home. She gave it a squeeze before putting it in her Handy Haversack™.

She began walking around the fairground, looking for anything else of interest. This was one of the first times in a while that she could relax.

Axinian
2010-09-06, 01:33 PM
DERRON AND CLARA:
Make a spot check.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-06, 01:40 PM
[roll0]

Derron looks around intently...and discovers he's gone blind (:smalltongue:)

Shades of Gray
2010-09-06, 02:11 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Clara was rather alert and attentive, unlike her psicrystal who was busy looking at all the attractive women at the fair.

((OOC: One is a blind man, the other a mute teenager. And they're cops.))

Axinian
2010-09-06, 04:39 PM
Before anyone decides to do any more actions, I want to whip up a map of the square. It'll be up later today, but hold off on doing stuff until I get it up.

Axinian
2010-09-07, 12:31 AM
Sorry guys, real life sucks sometimes:smallsigh: I'll have the game going again by tomorrow I promise

Axinian
2010-09-07, 06:49 PM
Okay here's the map, we can continue now

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs614.snc4/59438_149819898374319_100000389302077_307755_28128 34_n.jpg

Things will be more detailed in combat maps don't worry.

The area at the very bottom of the map is actually water and docks.

Shades of Gray
2010-09-07, 06:51 PM
(OOC: You have to upload it online to a site, as the IMG feature only works with URLs. I recommend Photobucket or Imageshack)

Axinian
2010-09-07, 06:52 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about, that's what I always do :smallamused:

Malakar
2010-09-07, 07:50 PM
So more Omen of Perilling: This time standing on top of the roof.

userpay
2010-09-07, 07:54 PM
Cylirr
After spending some time among the booths and stalls Cylirr heads across the square, empty handed and probably leaving behind relieved shopkeepers. She finds another spot to sit down and takes her lyre out. Offering her music to join the sounds of the festival as she observes the comings and goings once again.
-----------------
Guess I'll make my way across the square and play some more music, and since I'm watching the crowd I might as well make a spot check?
perform (strings)
[roll0]
spot
[roll1]

Axinian
2010-09-07, 08:14 PM
USHUY ONLY

You get "Great Peril" again.

CYLIRR
Can you tell me where you sit so I can mark it on the map? Also, the people here are a little more welcoming. You make some change for your efforts. It's not much, but it will suffice for a couple nights in an inn.

Malakar
2010-09-07, 08:30 PM
Okay, done all I can to be ready for crazy nonsense without leaving the area.

userpay
2010-09-07, 08:31 PM
(ooc lets say... straight across to the building and down 2 spaces.)

Cleavon
2010-09-08, 04:10 AM
Cleavon

One thing he could actually spot was the crowd milling about around the area in which the mayor was going to speak. He turned his attentions away from the booths, not having seen much trouble in that part of the crowd.

He moved with purpose, though was careful not to trample anyone and made sure the children kept their hands away from the large curved sword he held on a scabbard on his back. He stopped near enough to the Mayors Platform that he could easily observe the crowd that was gathering there.

(OOC: 9 south and 4 east of his current location is where he has placed himself)

Gamblerjoe
2010-09-08, 10:27 AM
Shadowmage

After losing sight of the 2 suspicious characters, the warforged continues past the booths and turns south. he walks up to one of the booths at the end of the row and asks the vendor: What is that large platform going to be for? Is there going to be a performance today?

Axinian
2010-09-08, 10:34 AM
(Movements will be noted)

Shadowmage:
The man in the booth chuckles. "A performance? I guess that's one thing you could call it. The mayor is giving a speech soon, but it might as well be a play for all that's worth."

Axinian
2010-09-08, 03:03 PM
People begin to crowd around the stage. It appears the mayor is arriving to make his speech. He begins in a booming voice that is obviously magically augmented to make him sound more authoritative.

"My fellow inhabitants of Milgard, we are gathered her to today to celebrate the coming of the Far Moon, which led or forefathers..."

Derron, Cleavon, Cylirr, and Ushuy, make listen checks.

userpay
2010-09-08, 03:18 PM
Cylirr

A spread hand easily stills the strings as Cylirr pauses her music to listen to the man who has just appeared on stage.
--------------
listen
[roll0]

Axinian
2010-09-08, 03:23 PM
Cylirr

A spread hand easily stills the strings as Cylirr pauses her music to listen to the man who has just appeared on stage.
--------------
listen
[roll0]

Just saying, everyone can hear the mayor clearly. The check is for something else :smallwink:

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-08, 03:27 PM
[roll0]

Derron listens intently, but apparently he's gone deaf as well as blind.

Cleavon
2010-09-08, 04:47 PM
Cleavon

Hearing the Mayor begin he turned his attention there, but he was still on the look out for trouble, for whatever it was worth.

[roll0](Listen o.o)

Malakar
2010-09-08, 06:28 PM
Listen [roll0]

Gamblerjoe
2010-09-15, 04:47 PM
Shadowmage
after talking to the man in the booth, the small warforged begins moving toward the stage, and directs his attention toward the mayor.