PDA

View Full Version : Does X exist?

Talbot
2010-09-05, 06:04 PM
Looking for any of the following:

*Class with full base attack and Death Attack

*Classes that grant meaningful amounts of SR or RD

*Prestige Classes that give Mettle, Slippery Mind, and/or Mind Blank at relatively low levels.

*Good feats for TWF characters besides the obvious TWF/ITWF/GTWF.

*Good throwing feats besides Brutal Throw.

*A weapon enhancement or similar means of upping the DC of a Death Attack?

*Races that give either both Int and Str, or both Int and Con.

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 06:10 PM
Pious Templar (requires BAB +5, 4 ranks in a skill and 2 feats; Complete Divine) grants Mettle at 1st level.

High Sword Low Axe is good for 2 weapon fighting combined with a trip build.

Double Hit lets you make 2 AoOs for one opportunity when dual-wielding.

Lolzords
2010-09-05, 08:25 PM
Looking for any of the following: *Races that give either both Int and Str, or both Int and Con.

Ogre Mages get +10 Strength, +6 Constitution, +4 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +6 Charisma

www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ogre_Mage

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-05, 08:40 PM

Not a class per se, but Marrulurk is a monstrous humanoid with 3 RHD and LA +1, it gets full bab, two bonus feat 2d6 SA and Death attack

*Classes that grant meaningful amounts of SR or RD

None that I know of

*Prestige Classes that give Mettle, Slippery Mind, and/or Mind Blank at relatively low levels.
Again I don't know

Improved Buckler defense works far better than the TWD line, improved critical (kukris), a source of Extra damage (getting assassin's stance burns two feats but you get a constant 2d6 sneak attack, and with craven you can improve this)

Far shot?.... I don't know, maybe the pre-requisites for Master thrower?

Assassin's Dagger +2 to DA DC is core
Subtle or assassination enchancement found in Drow of the underdark, increase it by one
Ability focus (Death Attack) for a +2 dc MM
High int increases it so a headband of intelect will help you.

[/QUOTE]
I don't know of any that give those but you might want to check the Deep Imaskari (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003b) +2 int and -2 dex.

Hope that helps

Yorrin
2010-09-05, 08:42 PM
Death Attack
Mettle, Slippery Mind, and/or Mind Blank

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff

Urpriest
2010-09-05, 08:50 PM
For throwing feats, Boomerang Daze is nice.

RandomLunatic
2010-09-05, 09:43 PM
You could try Dragonborn Tieflings- CON +2, INT +2, CHA -2.

There are also a lot of monster races that fit that criteria, but generally a too steep an LA cost. A partial list of the SRD, until I got bored;
Mindflayers (STR, CON)
Doppelgangers (STR, CON)
Some varieties of True Dragon
Astral Deva (STR, CON)
Trumpet Archon (STR, CON)
Coautl (STR, CON)
Hezrou (STR, CON)
Succubus (STR, CON)
Vrock (STR, CON)
Erinyes (STR, CON)
Djinni (STR, CON)
Janni (STR, CON)

Tyndmyr
2010-09-05, 09:47 PM

Throw Anything.

Because sometimes, hurling stacks of greatswords is awesome.

Ability Focus feat, IIRC. +2 to the DC. Im 99% sure there's a dagger or some such that boosts death attack too, but I can't recall for sure.

true_shinken
2010-09-05, 09:49 PM
Pious Templar (Complete Divine) gets mettle at level 1 (minimum ECL 6).
Occult Slayer (Complete Warrior) gets immunity to mind-affecting effects (you turn it on/off as a free action) at level 5 (ecl 10).

Craven (Champions of Ruin) springs to mind, though I dislike it's flavour.

Assassin's blade (or something like that) from the DMG.

Endarire
2010-09-05, 10:44 PM
Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff)

ericgrau
2010-09-05, 10:53 PM
Assassin's Dagger +2 to DA DC is core

Actually a +1 to the DC. The boost itself is priced exactly the same as a +1 enchantment, and it would be reasonable to ask a DM to let you upgrade the dagger accordingly as you level.

Ability focus is meant for monster special abilities so I'd run it by your DM befor applying it to a PC class. I mean infinite stackable +2's can get nuts.

Drow is the best core way I know to get SR. Monk also gives decent SR, but they lose full BAB flurry of blows progression at the exact same level they gain SR. Also, merely mentioning their class name queues up 20 pages of flaming against them :smalltongue:.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-05, 10:57 PM
Ability focus is meant for monster special abilities so I'd run it by your DM befor applying it to a PC class. I mean infinite stackable +2's can get nuts.

I wouldn't say infinite. Feats are generally pretty finite in any build. And death attack DC is pretty low to begin with, and doesn't really scale well.

ericgrau
2010-09-05, 11:04 PM
It's still stackable and "infinite enough". As in it might not get out of hand right away, but eventually it will. But yeah stackable is the key. Once you include ability modifier scaling it can already scale as fast as monster saves. Anything on top of that means "Ok now the monster has to roll a 10 to save, now a 12, now a 14, now a 16". Not enough to completely break the game, not within 15 levels anyway, but if it's worth blowing feats on at all that means you death attack a lot, and now you succeed much more often. If you don't DA a lot or aren't boosting int, buying weapons, etc., then why even waste feats on it at all? In that case a juicy feat only becomes more bait for a trap.

Koury
2010-09-05, 11:11 PM

Wait, what?

ABILITY FOCUS [GENERAL]
Choose one of the creature’s special attacks. This attack becomes
more potent than normal.
Prerequisite: Special attack.
Benefit: Add +2 to the DC for all saving throws against the special
attack on which the creature focuses.
Special: A creature can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects
do not stack. Each time the creature takes the feat, it applies to a
different special attack.

Are we refering to something different? :smallconfused:

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 11:11 PM
It's still stackable and "infinite enough". As in it might not get out of hand right away, but eventually it will. But yeah stackable is the key. Once you include ability modifier scaling it can already scale as fast as monster saves. Anything on top of that means "Ok now the monster has to roll a 10 to save, now a 12, now a 14, now a 16". Not enough to completely break the game, not within 15 levels anyway, but if it's worth blowing feats on at all that means you death attack a lot, and now you succeed much more often. If you don't DA a lot or aren't boosting int, buying weapons, etc., then why even waste feats on it at all? In that case a juicy feat only becomes more bait for a trap.

Ability Focus isn't stackable. It can only be applied to a given ability once.

Ability Focus [General]
Choose one of the creature’s special attacks.
Prerequisite
Special attack.
Benefit
Add +2 to the DC for all saving throws against the special attack on which the creature focuses.
Special
A creature can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time the creature takes the feat it applies to a different special attack.

Now it might stack with items and Int increases but that's not it being infinitely stackable or even very stackable. If the monster needs a 10 it now needs a 12 that's all.

Edit: Ninja'd

Zieu
2010-09-06, 12:06 AM

Oversized TWF -- You can treat your off-hand weapon as light so long as it's a one-handed weapon (combine with Exotic Weap. Prof. - Bastard Sword and you've got 2d10+[Str*2] per attack)

Two-Weapon Pounce -- Grants ability to attack with both weapons on a charge (otherwise you only get one main-hand attack)

Two-Weapon Rend -- High prereqs, but throws in an extra 2d6 or something if both weapons hit.

Two-Weapon Defense -- Get a bonus to AC from your off-hand weapon

That's all I have for now, might go look through the books again to find a couple more.

Zaydos
2010-09-06, 12:11 AM
Oversized TWF -- You can treat your off-hand weapon as light so long as it's a one-handed weapon (combine with Exotic Weap. Prof. - Bastard Sword and you've got 2d10+[Str*2] per attack)

Two-Weapon Pounce -- Grants ability to attack with both weapons on a charge (otherwise you only get one main-hand attack)

Two-Weapon Rend -- High prereqs, but throws in an extra 2d6 or something if both weapons hit.

Two-Weapon Defense -- Get a bonus to AC from your off-hand weapon

That's all I have for now, might go look through the books again to find a couple more.

Oversized Two Weapon Fighting only gives you 2d10+[Str*1.5] if you hit with both; an offhand weapon only gets half strength bonus and it's not really worth two feats for +2 damage compared to using a shortsword.

Two-Weapon Pounce can be good.

Two-Weapon Rend: No comment (not familiar enough with the feat).

Two-Weapon Defense: if you have buckler proficiency improved buckler defense is much better, +6 AC (assuming a +5 buckler) and a shield crystal for -1 to hit with your off-hand weapon. Improved Buckler Defense is in fact worth it; although an Animated Mithril Heavy Shield also works and might be better.

Zieu
2010-09-06, 12:26 AM
Oversized Two Weapon Fighting only gives you 2d10+[Str*1.5] if you hit with both; an offhand weapon only gets half strength bonus and it's not really worth two feats for +2 damage compared to using a shortsword.

Two-Weapon Pounce can be good.

Two-Weapon Rend: No comment (not familiar enough with the feat).

Two-Weapon Defense: if you have buckler proficiency improved buckler defense is much better, +6 AC (assuming a +5 buckler) and a shield crystal for -1 to hit with your off-hand weapon. Improved Buckler Defense is in fact worth it; although an Animated Mithril Heavy Shield also works and might be better.

Right, that's an oversight on my part. But with Oversized TWF you can use two longswords, which is better than a longsword/rapier, longsword/shortsword, etc in terms of damage. EWP - Bastard Sword is just another option if you want to take it a step further.

Zaydos
2010-09-06, 12:28 AM
Right, that's an oversight on my part. But with Oversized TWF you can use two longswords, which is better than a longsword/rapier, longsword/shortsword, etc in terms of damage. EWP - Bastard Sword is just another option if you want to take it a step further.

Even then not worth it; 2 longswords is only 1 point better damage on average than a longsword/shortsword combo.

Zieu
2010-09-06, 12:31 AM
Even then not worth it; 2 longswords is only 1 point better damage on average than a longsword/shortsword combo.

It's just a suggestion.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-06, 12:49 AM
Witchslayer (ToM) gets mettle at level 2, a rogues slippery mind at 4, and also momentary disjunction. The save dc for the last is pretty low, but would be a great way to make a caster cry if it works.

There's an item in complete champion (tabard I think) which grants you mettle. If you've already got mettle, it grants improved mettle. Some people say that mettle is worthless compared to evasion because of how few spells and SLAs that allow it to come into play, but that's really just dependent on your DM. With the right DM, mettle is very, very worthwhile.
Doesn't the hexblade gain Mettle as well?

True-shinken: Craven is useful for TWF rogues, but rangers, fighters, etc that are using TWF don't benefit from Craven unless they've got some way to Sneak attack (a scouts skirmish might count as the prereq for craven...)

Death attack and full bab... Not even sure there's that many classes that grant DA. BoED has one or two, and so should Complete Scoundrel. There is the Black Flame Zealot (Complete Divine) I love the flavor, and they get death attack, but capstone is a little 'meh', and I'm sure they get a medium BAB

Zaq
2010-09-06, 07:51 PM
Incarnates can get the Spellward Shirt soulmeld to give themselves SR, but you need to have a lot of essentia (and it doesn't hurt to also have the whole Incarnate-granted ability to increase the maximum essentia capacity of soulmelds). They can also get DR through a few soulmelds, though some is better than others.

Andion Isurand
2010-09-06, 10:13 PM

Witch Slayer PrC in Tome of Magic

cakewalk prerequsites
d8 HD
4 + int skills
high BAB
good fort
good will

Arcane Gnomes (Dragon Magazine 291)
just like standard gnomes except (written for 3.0 gnomes)...

+2 Int, -2 Wis
UMD is always a class skill (!!!)
no speak with animals
favored class wizard.

Aleithian Dwarves (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030926a)

Arctic Template (Dragon Magazine 306)

+2 con, -2 cha
+1 on saves against cold effects, magical and mundane
-1 on saves against fire effects, magical and mundane
+2 racial bonus on Survival checks

Draz74
2010-09-06, 10:19 PM
Stackability aside, the FAQ explicitly OK's Ability Focus as a feat for PCs. DMs should not have a problem with it.

Drow is the best core way I know to get SR. Monk also gives decent SR, but they lose full BAB flurry of blows progression at the exact same level they gain SR. Also, merely mentioning their class name queues up 20 pages of flaming against them :smalltongue:.

Actually, the best Core way to gain SR is to have a Cleric cast Spell Resistance on you. :smalltongue:

Thurbane
2010-09-06, 10:25 PM

Dark Hunter PrC (CW)

Sharakim (RoD) - good aligned orc lookalikes. +2 STR, +2 INT, LA +1

Crasical
2010-09-06, 10:50 PM

1. What about a dwarf? Dwarven Waraxe proficiency is free. Dwarves don't have a dex penalty. one feat for +2 damage is equal to weapon specialization, and you don't even need fighter levels.

2. Isn't the benefit of having the same weapon in each hand that any feats like Weapon Focus apply to the both weapons you're armed with, rather than just one?

avr
2010-09-06, 10:57 PM
You might well want to look at the Witch Slayer PrC (Tome of Magic, end of the Binder section).

If you have the Book of Nine Swords/Tome of Battle, the Tiger Claw discipline aids TWF and the Bloodstorm Blade PrC aids throwing.

Zaydos
2010-09-06, 11:02 PM
1. What about a dwarf? Dwarven Waraxe proficiency is free. Dwarves don't have a dex penalty. one feat for +2 damage is equal to weapon specialization, and you don't even need fighter levels.

2. Isn't the benefit of having the same weapon in each hand that any feats like Weapon Focus apply to the both weapons you're armed with, rather than just one?

Both are true, and I've actually built a dwarf Fighter/Barbarian/Tempest on this basis before. I've learned sense that I could have put my feats to better use, but it is still a fun one just to be wielding two War-Axes. Note also that Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization are generally considered not worth a feat outside of Core (because things like Shock Trooper so thoroughly out-damage them).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-06, 11:04 PM
To be fair to weapon focus, it is a pre-requisite for many prestige classes and good feats (slashing weapon mastery IIRC)

Koury
2010-09-06, 11:09 PM
To be fair to weapon focus, it is a pre-requisite for many prestige classes and good feats (slashing weapon mastery IIRC)

Sounds more like a knock against certain PrCs and feats then a bonus for Weapon Focus :smallwink:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-06, 11:13 PM
Sounds more like a knock against certain PrCs and feats then a bonus for Weapon Focus :smallwink:

True, but I prefer to see the glass half full rather than half empty:smalltongue:

Koury
2010-09-06, 11:14 PM
True, but I prefer to see the glass half full rather than half empty:smalltongue:

In that case, Dodge is awesome, right? :smallbiggrin:

Zaydos
2010-09-06, 11:23 PM
Until Knowledge Devotion made it obsolete Weapon Focus was usable. Every +1 does matter, but with Knowledge Devotion granting +1 to hit and damage, with the possibility of +4 to both it seems rather... wimpy.

Now if it was +1, +1 more for every X points of BAB then Weapon Focus might be nice again.