PDA

View Full Version : Thesis Defense of Webcomics and OOTS now on YouTube

Ranzunar
2010-09-05, 09:48 PM
Hello fellow forumites, it took quite a bit of formatting but it is finally here. You can now view the entirety of my thesis defense of webcomics, primarily based on OOTS, through this link,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFvknHMS79I
Make sure to go through parts 2, 3, and 4 while you are there. I had to face my audience and not the camera for most of the time so please forgive the less than stellar quality. Also, I was nervous as Hell but got through it with flying colors so ignore all my speach stumbles. I will provide the link for the actual thesis once it becomes available online through the Proquest Academic website. The people at the office of Graduate Studies in my university say it might take another month or two until it becomes available. They did not believe me when I said that the Internet wanted it ASAP. If you have any questions about my thesis or just about anything else write on the video or send me a PM and I'll respond shortly. Thanks again people and spread the word, academia will appreciate Order of the Stick soon enough.

eggynack
2010-09-06, 01:55 AM
I really enjoyed the third and fourth parts, especially some parts of the statistical analysis, however for actual Oots readers the first two parts are a bit superfluous. I hope that if your actual thesis ever makes it's way online that it will contain more non-Oots material. Apart from that you did very well.

Maxios
2010-09-06, 02:02 AM
Good job Ranuzar. Job well done.

Vargtass
2010-09-06, 06:06 AM
Very nice first parts! I hope to be able to watch the conclusion later, after work! I congratulate you on your instrumental efforts in this budding field of research! I also look forward to downloading and reading your thesis when it is available.

EDIT: I have now seen it through! Great job, very impressive study. You really know your stuff, and how to get it through. I would love for my kids to study English lit under you (alas, won't happen, but still!)

All the best, good luck with future research and your career!

Manga Shoggoth
2010-09-07, 05:21 PM
I am very impressed (and have burned through the better part of a month's data usage in the process...)

I look forward to reading the thesis as well.

Strawfox
2010-09-08, 05:27 AM
Dammit! You're not only brilliant, you also look like Robert Sean Leonard!
Very well done, sir.

Zelthax
2010-09-12, 11:39 PM
This is a wonderful thing for literature and literary analysis!

I especially like the "4th wall breaking" moment. I laughed at my computer, possibly waking my roommate.

I look forward to the online publication of the thesis, and will spend probably valuable time reading it.

Darakonis
2010-09-13, 12:44 AM
Good stuff.

Peace,
-Darakonis

Valifor
2010-09-13, 01:47 AM
absolutely brilliant. i think it was awesome. i especially like the part where you're talking about unusual pahe sizes with Roy's falling and say "here he's falling off a flying headless zombie dragon... it makes sense in context, i swear". literally made me laugh out loud. also brought up some good points, like i never would have thought of the educational value of webcomics like that.

rakkoon
2010-09-13, 05:12 AM
Grr, I'm at work so can't look at it now.
But looking forward to it!

Fitzclowningham
2010-09-13, 06:34 PM
Very nice. Can't wait to see the actual thesis.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2010-09-13, 11:12 PM
That was actually quite good! There was a brief moment early on where I was worried that you had run out of steam and were going to just rave about things you liked, but it turned out to be a really clever analysis. It compiled existing knowledge into a coherent and referable source, it introduced some new research of your own, and it paves the way for further study.

I find myself wondering how other comics would look when examined in such a way. Did you do a similar breakdown for 8-bit theater? Do comics that survive long enough tend to progress toward a sort of equilibrium over time? What about comics that have started, run for a few years, and actually ended?

Truly a win for all involved.

rakkoon
2010-09-15, 05:13 AM
Very nice, put up a copy of the thesis and I'll read it with interest

King of Nowhere
2010-09-15, 06:50 AM
Seems intersting, too bad I couldn't make out most of the discussion becuase of background noise - my understanding of spoken english fall apart quickly if I have troubles making out the words.
Looking forward to see a pdf

squidbreath
2010-09-16, 04:47 AM
I'm still on pt 3 but Wow, This is really detailed! :smallbiggrin: Tyvm for putting it up.

I couldn't tell that you were nervous at all tbh.

Maxios
2010-11-14, 05:22 PM
Can you post the link to the thesis in text form?

MeatShield#236
2010-11-16, 07:25 PM
Very interesting. Well done, man.

Matuse
2010-11-16, 10:18 PM
I didn't know webcomics needed defending...