PDA

View Full Version : Simulation Games with Endless Play

Morithias
2010-09-06, 12:15 AM
Many Simulation Games claim to have 'endless play' or 'sandbox style modes' although this is generally true for most players, I'm looking for something more. Does anyone know of a game that you can never truly complete, a simulation game where if you fill up the map enough the map expands. In all my games I've reached a point where there's literally nothing more to do, I've filled up the whole map.

Any suggestions? Please don't try to be clever and suggest D&D, I'm looking for something single player.

BladeofOblivion
2010-09-06, 12:18 AM
There's the newest version of Minecraft, which randomly generates new terrain if you enter a new area.

Morithias
2010-09-06, 12:23 AM
There's the newest version of Minecraft, which randomly generates new terrain if you enter a new area.

How interesting....I will look into this. Thank you. If it's what I'm looking for, I'm going to play this game until I crash my computer from memory overload! XD

Maxios
2010-09-06, 12:33 AM
i'd get Spore. Every time you play, it's a diffrent experience. it's great.

Maeglin_Dubh
2010-09-06, 12:38 AM
i'd get Spore. Every time you play, it's a diffrent experience. it's great.

It disappointed me greatly.

It seemed less like the grand multi-epoch adventure it had been advertised as and more like a bundle of flash games.

warty goblin
2010-09-06, 12:40 AM
How interesting....I will look into this. Thank you. If it's what I'm looking for, I'm going to play this game until I crash my computer from memory overload! XD

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead will procedurally generate terrain in the unlikely event that you reach the edge of the designed map IIRC. You can also set it to dynamically generate combat encounters that you can chose to take part in all across the map. Of course ArmA II requires a rather godly computer, a tolerance for the worst voice acting ever committed against the human ear, and a major commitment to figuring the damn thing out. Do not apply if you lack the weird sort of masochism it takes to enjoy an infantry soldier simulation, wherein you can spend twenty minutes traipsing across the countryside to your objective before being shot in the face by a camouflaged enemy hiding under a bush four hundred meters away and having to start all over again.

Spore isn't exactly a simulation, but there's no way you can run out of planets in the Space Stage.

I'm fairly sure that the little known, rather pricey, and ridiculously DRMed navel simulation Distant Guns: Jutland will procedurally generate terrain based on some sort of map should your hot dreadnought on dreadnought action carry you away from the initial area. Of course most of that is ocean, so it's hard to get too excited about...

Maxios
2010-09-06, 12:46 AM
It disappointed me greatly.

It seemed less like the grand multi-epoch adventure it had been advertised as and more like a bundle of flash games.

You have to understand however, they started to develop that game back in 2004 or earlier. It had of changed to meet it's deadline and to fit in the ravenous mouth that is the ever-changing interests that is a video game fan (Holy vaarsuvius moment batman!)
I liked to just play the space stage, as the possiblites in which are near-endless. I personally liked to take on the fearsome cyborg race that is the Grox. I have the galactic adventures expansion, which greatly improved play.

bobthehero
2010-09-06, 12:57 AM
Mount and Blade:Warband, you might reach the end, but its going to take you quite a time, has multiplayer and totally moddable.

Maxios
2010-09-06, 01:06 AM
Hey I have the Mount&Blade demo. Fun game. I have to get the full version some day so I msy continue my adventures and conquest.

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-06, 01:07 AM
Dwarf Fortress, maybe?

Cogwheel
2010-09-06, 01:08 AM
You know what this thread's problem is?

Not (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DwarfFortress) dwarfy (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page) enough. (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/)

Edit: CURSE YE UNTO THE NTH GENERATION, NINJA.

Maxios
2010-09-06, 01:21 AM
There's also the Sims 3. I'd create a town, and experiment, like having every resident the same (d lives next to D who lives with his brother D). Or you could put a Sim in a room with no exits while he pees himself to his doom :smallcool:

Bouregard
2010-09-06, 01:23 AM
X-series. It's space economy-sim or what you want to do. You will never be capable of filling an entire sector to the brim with spacestations/mines/turrets or fleets. Another bonus point is the AI that keeps the Universe running. You blow up someones factories? No problem the AI ships get their stuff somewhere else and (slowly) rebuild them.

Maxios
2010-09-06, 01:33 AM
Oh how could I forget? Elder Scrolls 4: oblivion. You can do whatever you want! You can even make your own spells! You can make a fireball spell with an explosive radius of 30 ft that does 15 fire damage to any creature caught inside it's burst. In earth terms; fireball TNT.

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-06, 01:39 AM
You know what this thread's problem is?

Not (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DwarfFortress) dwarfy (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page) enough. (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/)

Edit: CURSE YE UNTO THE NTH GENERATION, NINJA.

I have a sudden urge to post this.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/CWheezy/Trollface_HD.jpg

Dragero
2010-09-06, 07:22 AM
+1 For Oblivion/Morrowind, Minecraft, and Dwarfyness.

All are great Sandbox (Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft moreso, due to no real goals) sandbox games. Check them all out!! (DF is free!!)

Gamerlord
2010-09-06, 07:36 AM
Oblivion can be finished eventually, and the main original quest chain gets REALLY tedious for one specific quest. Shivering isles on the other hand.......
Also, once you become a knight of the dragon or whatever, grandmaster of the fighters guild, archmage of the mages guild, master of the dark brotherhood, the grey fox, and a god things start to feel a little old.

Maxios
2010-09-06, 12:42 PM
Oblivion can be finished eventually, and the main original quest chain gets REALLY tedious for one specific quest. Shivering isles on the other hand.......
Also, once you become a knight of the dragon or whatever, grandmaster of the fighters guild, archmage of the mages guild, master of the dark brotherhood, the grey fox, and a god things start to feel a little old.

True, but to complete every single quest, find every area, shut every gate, and basically get 100% would take you a long time. Plus, there are infinite possibilites for the characters you create. A silver-tounged imperial klepto, a raging Orc warrior, a dunmer wizard who likes to use melee...I prefer imperial warriors who fight in the arena, join the thieve's guild, and join the fighter's guild.

Inhuman Bot
2010-09-06, 01:37 PM

You have too much time on your hands, methinks.

Gamerlord
2010-09-06, 01:43 PM
You have too much time on your hands, methinks.

On the weekends, yes, on other days? No.

Triaxx
2010-09-06, 02:22 PM
I want to second the X-Series, though I'll point out that you can fill them, it's simply beyond the impossible with modern computers. Each sector consists of 4000km of usable space. Discounting what's taken up by planets and other stations of course.

But once you pass 1000 stations in a sector, the lag gets pretty hard to deal with.

shadowxknight
2010-09-06, 11:04 PM
Do sport simulations count?
Series like Madden and NBA Live you can play endlessly, season after season. But I imagine it would be super repetitive after couple seasons = =

dgnslyr
2010-09-07, 12:27 AM
Dorf Fortress is the king of sandbox games. All others are unworthy.
IF YOU CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO PLAY! HAHAHAHA!!!

chiasaur11
2010-09-07, 01:00 AM
Well, X-Com: Terror from the Deep might do it for you on Superhuman.

Unless you click the button to send a suicide crew onto the final mission, there will always be more aliens, more missions, more enemy bases, and more ways to die.

Heck, thanks to a number of tech tree glitches, you probably won't be able to get the endgame craft or the gamebreaking superweapons, ensuring the game won't end until you fail horribly.

arrowhen
2010-09-07, 01:55 AM
Minecraft doesn't actually go on forever. The map is merely eight times larger than the surface of the Earth.

Maxios
2010-09-10, 04:20 PM
There's always the Fallout series, or Sim City, or Age of Empires 3.

KBF
2010-09-12, 10:48 PM
Minecraft doesn't actually go on forever. The map is merely eight times larger than the surface of the Earth.

...Going by what measurements? Nothing is really proportioned correctly..