PDA

View Full Version : I Just Received an E-mail from Edric Haleen

The Rose Dragon
2010-09-06, 03:48 AM
You probably don't know who Edric Haleen is. As such, I should explain that first. Edric Haleen was a contestant in the Masters of Song Fu contest on former QuickStopEntertainment.com, and he wrote some great songs, though he never quite actually won any rounds. I think he now writes songs for SpinTunes (http://spintown.bandcamp.com/), so you should go check him out.

Apparently, some time ago, I wrote a post in a thread on GitP that placed him among my favorite musicians, which I had totally forgotten about. However, he hadn't, and he apparently thought it fitting to send me an e-mail thanking me for the praise. I tracked down the post, and it is totally true. Edric Haleen rocks and it's a crime that he's not more famous than he is right now. And you don't even have to pay to listen to any of his songs and appreciate him! Go to SpinTunes above, or check the previous rounds of Masters of Song Fu (http://www.asitecalledfred.com/category/masters-of-song-fu/), which contains a lot of other talented musicians as well.

Anyway, the point is, I feel special for receiving an e-mail from an internet quasi-celebrity, and wanted to share it.

Serpentine
2010-09-06, 03:57 AM
Pft. I have an email from the guy who does Dinosaur Comics. In your face :smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2010-09-06, 04:00 AM
I have no idea who that is, though. Then again, you probably didn't know who Edric Haleen is, so it's all cool. :smalltongue:

rakkoon
2010-09-06, 09:16 AM
Congrats. I know absolutely no one important.
Use your influence to let him make a song about OOTS.
Or a Rose Dragon.
Or a raccoon

Dogmantra
2010-09-06, 09:22 AM
Pft. I have an email from the guy who does Dinosaur Comics. In your face :smalltongue:

Only one? My my, you are slow. :smalltongue:

Anyway, that's the sort of thing awesome people do. He sounds like he's an awesome person.

Serpentine
2010-09-06, 09:30 AM
Yeah, well, that "only one" looks like this:
(Serpentine) it looks great! The two styles have MERGED.So ner :smalltongue:

Danne
2010-09-06, 10:30 AM
Thanks so cool! I have an e-mail from one of my favorite musicians, but only because I e-mailed her first. (I was asking if I could buy a shirt that I'd seen at a concert but hadn't had the money to buy -- they don't usually sell shirts online but she mailed me one for cheap. And I got a free sticker to go with it!)

Serpentine
2010-09-06, 10:35 AM
Well, I did contact him first. I wanted to get his permission to post something in an Iron Avatarist, cuz I just ootsified his whole first Dinosaur Comic. I got it :smallcool: Don't think I won, though :smallfrown:

Gullara
2010-09-06, 11:55 AM
You probably don't know who Edric Haleen is. As such, I should explain that first. Edric Haleen was a contestant in the Masters of Song Fu contest on former QuickStopEntertainment.com, and he wrote some great songs, though he never quite actually won any rounds. I think he now writes songs for SpinTunes (http://spintown.bandcamp.com/), so you should go check him out.

Apparently, some time ago, I wrote a post in a thread on GitP that placed him among my favorite musicians, which I had totally forgotten about. However, he hadn't, and he apparently thought it fitting to send me an e-mail thanking me for the praise. I tracked down the post, and it is totally true. Edric Haleen rocks and it's a crime that he's not more famous than he is right now. And you don't even have to pay to listen to any of his songs and appreciate him! Go to SpinTunes above, or check the previous rounds of Masters of Song Fu (http://www.asitecalledfred.com/category/masters-of-song-fu/), which contains a lot of other talented musicians as well.

Anyway, the point is, I feel special for receiving an e-mail from an internet quasi-celebrity, and wanted to share it.

So he lurks around these forums or at least stumbled upon that thread somehow? Interesting and pretty cool.

JoshuaZ
2010-09-06, 02:36 PM

If this is going to become the "brag about famous people you've interacted with thread"- I've interviewed Randall Munroe of xkcd for Wikinews, I've had a multi email discussion with Richard Dawkins, and on Facebook I'm friends with both Jimmy Wales and Carl Zimmer, both of whom friended me (this is why I really really wish Facebook displayed who friended whom).

Isak
2010-09-06, 08:09 PM
I had my hair cut by C.J. Graham, one of the fellows who has played Jason Vorhees in one of the many Friday the 13th movies...

He disliked my mohawk. So he cut it. And gave me free autographs :smallbiggrin:

I also got trapped in an elevator for about 15 minutes with Robert Englund... Better known as Freddy Krueger. :smalleek:

Felixaar
2010-09-06, 08:14 PM
The closest thing I have to this is the reply I got from Zach Weiner to let me use one of his comic in Diversion.

Sholos
2010-09-06, 09:45 PM
I've met Rich (once, briefly, at a con a while ago), as well as Pete Abrams from Sluggy Freelance (again, briefly, and at the same con).

My great-grandfather was a very well known celebrity in his area. Sadly, I never really knew him all that well.

shadow_archmagi
2010-09-06, 09:49 PM
I got an email from Buttersafe (http://buttersafe.com/comics/2008-10-23-Detour.jpg) after I asked if it was OK to use their comic in a school project.

Starscream
2010-09-06, 10:04 PM
I got an email from Terry Pratchett once. Actual content, too, not just "Hey, thanks for reading, Insert-Name-Here". Also have a book autographed by him. Not that that's anything to brag about, we Pterry fans often joke that he signs so many books that it's worth more if you have one that hasn't been signed.:smallsmile:

Danne
2010-09-06, 10:05 PM
I got an email from Terry Pratchett once. Actual content, too, not just "Hey, thanks for reading, Insert-Name-Here". Also have a book autographed by him. Not that that's anything to brag about, we Pterry fans often joke that he signs so many books that it's worth more if you have one that hasn't been signed.:smallsmile:

Cool! What did the e-mail say?

Phase
2010-09-06, 10:09 PM
I met Ryan North, Kate Beaton, Andrew Hussie, Jeph Jaques, and Chris Hastings all together. We chatted a bit.

Starscream
2010-09-06, 11:28 PM
Cool! What did the e-mail say?

I'd have to dig out the copy I printed out (it was about three computers ago), but basically I asked him about how the Discworld books seemed to be getting darker and more mature as they were going on, and how he still managed to make them so funny when dealing with serious and gloomy subject matter.

I don't have his exact words here and would hate to quote him out of context, but he said that he was with G.K. Chesterton on this, and that funny and serious are not opposites. Basically you can include serious subject matter in a comedy so long as the characters take it seriously. The characters can be as funny as they like, but if they don't act like they're being funny it works, because it's serious to them.

Serpentine
2010-09-06, 11:39 PM
Duuude. Deep.
If this is going to become the "brag about famous people you've interacted with thread"- I've interviewed Randall Munroe of xkcd for Wikinews, I've had a multi email discussion with Richard Dawkins, and on Facebook I'm friends with both Jimmy Wales and Carl Zimmber, both of whom friended me (this is why I really really wish Facebook displayed who friended whom).Bah. Bah, I say!

Krade
2010-09-07, 03:54 PM
The closest I got is that I once served for a banquet that Sam Waterston attended. Didn't get his table, though:smallyuk:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-07, 08:58 PM
When I was about 7 I emailed Sir Pterry (not then a knight) Happy Birthday, and he replied.

RebelRogue
2010-09-07, 09:45 PM
Nothing too impressive, but I have a few:

I was the one who invited Rich Burlew to gmail.
I once got an email from Dave Mustaine. It was about me having posted something from a tab book (it wasn't, he mixed up some postings). I never heard from him after replying to explain things.
You know that famous article about how the LHC not having worked so far might be due to interference from the future? One of the authors, Holger Bech-Nielsen, was the one who taught me quantum mechanics at uni (both as a lecturer and as an instructor).

Danne
2010-09-08, 12:56 PM
When I was about 7 I emailed Sir Pterry (not then a knight) Happy Birthday, and he replied.

That is so cute. :smallsmile: