PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire Mage (PrC, WiP, PEACH)

Zaydos
2010-09-06, 10:13 AM
I've always been disappointed in Eldritch Theurge because it is inaccessible to Dragonfire Adepts and I've always wanted a PrC to combine Dragonfire Adepts and Sorcerers so I've decided to make one.

Dragonfire Mage:
Prerequisites:
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 8+ ranks, Spellcraft 8+ ranks.
Feats: Draconic Heritage (any)
Spellcasting: Ability to spontaneously cast 2nd level spells, ability to use least invocations.
Special: Must have access to at least 1 (Dragonfire Adept) Breath Effect.
Special: Must be able to speak Draconic.

Dragonfire Mage

LevelBase Attack<br>BonusFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSpecialSpells
1st
+0
+0
+0
+2Dragonfire Breath+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation using class
2nd
+1
+0
+0
+3Energy Resistance 10+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation using class
3rd
+1
+1
+1
+3Quickspell Breath+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation using class
4th
+2
+1
+1
+4Bonus Feat+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation using class
5th
+2
+1
+1
+4 +1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation using class
6th
+3
+2
+2
+5Invocation of the Mystic Flame+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation using class
7th
+3
+2
+2
+5 Breath Weapon Doubles+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation using class
8th
+4
+2
+2
+6Invoke Power+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation using class
9th
+4
+3
+3
+6Energy Resistance 20+1 level of existing spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation using class
10th
+5
+3
+3
+7Spellfire Target +1 level of existing spellcasting class /+1 level of existing invocation using class

HD: d4.
Skill points per level: 2 + Int.
Class Skills: Appraise, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (all skills taken individually), Sense Motive, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device.

Dragonfire Breath: Add your levels in Dragonfire Mage to your levels in Dragonfire Adept to determine how many Breath Effects you have and what level you gain them. For example a 2nd level Dragonfire Adept/3rd level Sorcerer/3rd level Dragonfire Mage would gain a breath effect as if he had just gained his 5th level in Dragonfire Adept; if they then took 3 levels of Dragonfire Adept they would not gain another breath effect at 5th level in that class, but when their combined levels in Dragonfire Adept and Dragonfire Mage equals 10 they would gain a 10th level breath effect.

Energy Resistance (Ex): At 2nd level you gain energy resistance 10 to whatever energy type the damage that the dragon you selected for your Draconic Heritage feat deals with its breath weapon. If its breath weapon deals slashing/bludgeoning/piercing damage or untyped damager or if it does not have a damage dealing breath weapon you instead gain fire resistance. If its breath weapon deals force damage you instead gain the ability to resist 10 points of force damage in a fashion identical to how energy resistance functions against damage of 1 of the 5 energy types. If your selected dragon has a breath weapon that deals 2 different types of damage (pyroclastic dragon for example) then you instead gain energy resistance 5 to both of them.
At Lv 9 this energy (or force) resistance increases to 20 (or 10 if your chosen dragon has 2 different energy types).

Quickspell Breath (Su): During any round in which you cast an arcane spell which targets yourself you may use your breath weapon as a swift action instead of the normal action it would take. You may not use a breath weapon affected by Spellcarrier Breath or Spellfire Target through the use of this ability.

Bonus Feat: You gain a bonus draconic feat.

Invocation of the Mystic Flame (Sp): When you use your breath weapon you may, instead of applying a breath effect, you may imbue your breath with an arcane spell of a level no higher than your class level. The selected spell must have an Area entry, and may not be an emanation. If you do so the selected spell is applied to the same area as your breath weapon. The spell is expended as if you had cast it normally. This is a spell-like ability with a level equivalent to that of the spell expended.

Breath Weapon Range Doubles: At 10th level a Dragonfire Mage’s breath weapon’s range doubles.

Invoke Power (Su): When you use your breath weapon as a standard or full round action you may sacrifice one spell slot. If you do so you may add 1d8 damage per spell level of the spell slot sacrificed to the damage dealt by your breath weapon. This extra damage is the same type as the breath weapon of whatever dragon you chose with draconic heritage deals. If the dragon you chose with draconic heritage does not have a damaging breath weapon this damage is instead fire damage. If your chosen dragon's breath weapon deals 2 different types of damage with a single breath weapon (pyroclastic dragon) this damage is equally divided between those two types. If your chosen dragon has 2 different breath weapons that deal different types of damage then you choose one to emulate with this ability when you gain this ability.

Spellfire Target (Sp): When you use your breath weapon you may apply this ability to it as a breath effect, to do so you must expend a spell as if you cast it. A breath weapon affected by this breath effect applies the expended spell to one creature caught in the area (even if the spell would normally affect more than one creature). The affected creature must be a legal target for the effect, and the spell may not have a range of Personal or Emanation. This is a spell-like ability with a level equivalent to that of the spell expended.

I still need to add fluff, and clean up the language on Spellfire Target and Spellcarrier Breath (and think up better names), but I thought I could get some PEACHes and maybe some advice on how to do so. Also I feel bad with 3 dead levels, but it's a dual progression class so I don't know if I even ought to try and fill them.

Zaydos
2010-09-06, 10:14 AM
Reserved for example characters/feats/fluff/something.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-08, 10:57 AM
Quickspell Breath (Su): When you cast an arcane spell which targets yourself you may use your breath weapon as a swift action. You may not use a breath weapon affected by Spellcarrier Breath or Spellfire Target through the use of this ability.

Breath weapons usually have a cooldown where they can only be used every 1d4 rounds or whatever depending on the source. At least as written, this seems to give someone the ability to use a spell+breath weapon every round.

Zaydos
2010-09-08, 11:01 AM
Reworded:
Quickspell Breath (Su): During any round in which you cast an arcane spell which targets yourself you may use your breath weapon as a swift action instead of the normal action it would take. You may not use a breath weapon affected by Spellcarrier Breath or Spellfire Target through the use of this ability.

I didn't really think about the abuse a dragonborn or other character that has a breath weapon other than from being a dragonfire adept.

Lix Lorn
2010-09-09, 03:35 AM
Casster's Scales just mimics a feat. It's slightly better, but... eh.

BreathWeapon Doubles could use a better name. Expansive Breath?
Also, it doesn't fit the class that well. Why is someone who spends half their time on magic better at the dragon stuff than a single class Dragonfire Adept?

Also, the phrase 'if for some reason.' It's mainly convention, but you probably shouldn't put your opinion in there. Just say if.

Zaydos
2010-09-09, 05:58 PM
Casster's Scales just mimics a feat. It's slightly better, but... eh.

BreathWeapon Doubles could use a better name. Expansive Breath?
Also, it doesn't fit the class that well. Why is someone who spends half their time on magic better at the dragon stuff than a single class Dragonfire Adept?

Also, the phrase 'if for some reason.' It's mainly convention, but you probably shouldn't put your opinion in there. Just say if.

Any suggestions on how to replace Caster's Scales? I'd like to give them something that had to do with dragon-like scales but it really was a cop out basing it on a rather bad feat.

Breath Weapon Doubles is actually straight from Dragonfire Adept. It's a Lv 10 ability. With early entry these guys can get it at character level 12, without early entry they have to wait till Lv 13. So they aren't actually better than a dragonfire adept at it, just not as far behind. I included it because at higher levels a 15-ft cone is nothing due to how creature size tends to increase.

On your third comment you're right that was overly pompous phrasing on my part. I took out "for some reason".

Lix Lorn
2010-09-09, 06:10 PM
Energy Resistance? Also, maybe give them the ability to pick a single dragon and have their standard breath weapon based on that?

It is? Oh, ignore that comment then.

Good plan. XD

Zaydos
2010-09-09, 06:13 PM
Energy Resistance? Also, maybe give them the ability to pick a single dragon and have their standard breath weapon based on that?

It is? Oh, ignore that comment then.

Good plan. XD

I like the energy resistance suggestion. Still want some kind of natural armor ability but dragonfire adept already has that and this lets them separate from them more. Since they already have the requirement of the Draconic Heritage feat it would be easy to have them be able to change the damage from their breath weapon to whatever damage the selected dragon's breath weapon does, although there are already breath effects that do that. Even so I will consider it, it's not the strongest ability, it's flavorful, and I do have 3 dead levels still.

Thanks.

Lix Lorn
2010-09-09, 06:19 PM
Glad to help. ^_^

BladeofOblivion
2010-09-09, 06:24 PM
For Spellcarrier Breath, Seventh Sanctum gives me:

Pyro Curse
Arcane Incineration

And, my favorite, if wordy, random generation:

Invocation of the Mystic Flame

Zaydos
2010-09-09, 06:24 PM
Removed caster's scales, gave them energy resistance 10 and later 20 to their ancestor's damage type (not including physical damage for those dragons that have breath weapons that deal physical damage, but including force despite that not normally being allowed). This means you can now be one of the few creatures resistant to Force damage.

Also gave them the ability to sacrifice spell slots for +Xd8 damage with their breath weapon. Probably not worth the slot, so I might pump the damage or allow them to use it with Quickspell Breath.

For Spellcarrier Breath, Seventh Sanctum gives me:

Pyro Curse
Arcane Incineration

And, my favorite, if wordy, random generation:

Invocation of the Mystic Flame

I think I'll use the 3rd. Thanks :smallsmile: