PDA

View Full Version : DotA players

Meta
2010-09-06, 10:27 AM
Anyone still play DotA? I'd be up for a game or two. I've got some friends of varying skill levels who would play as well.

Heck if we get 10 or more who still play I'd make a GitP tag for a clan.

I haven't played in weeks but I'm quite skilled and a good team player. I'm more than happy to give advice to people looking to get better

Milskidasith
2010-09-06, 12:47 PM
Most of the GitP guys with DotA experience are playing LoL. I would suggest giving it a shot.

Meta
2010-09-06, 04:11 PM
Most of the GitP guys with DotA experience are playing LoL. I would suggest giving it a shot.

Ahh not mac friendly last time I checked, and also it's a much more new player friendly game without the high skill ceiling that DotA has. It's a much more simple game

Astrella
2010-09-06, 04:17 PM
Odd to make such a statement when you obviously haven't played it yet.

Meta
2010-09-06, 04:21 PM
Odd to make such a statement when you obviously haven't played it yet.

i haz friendz

shadowxknight
2010-09-06, 04:21 PM
Ooo I play DotA quite often, mostly cause my crappy comp can't run LoL or HoN.
I play mostly in pubs though so I guess I'm a "meh" player. If you play on USWest feel free to add me:
shadowxheart90
h0ll0wxvict0ry

Dragonus45
2010-09-06, 04:22 PM
I like dota a lot, but i have almost no experience with it. I tend to play a lot more lol since im more comfortable with it.

shadowxknight
2010-09-06, 04:28 PM
I like dota a lot, but i have almost no experience with it. I tend to play a lot more lol since im more comfortable with it.

Ya mostly the DotA community isn't very friendly towards newer players. When I first started people made "noob games" and I got better from those, but haven't seen them for a while.
I guess just go on playdota.com to look up guides and replays for a hero you like, and stick with him until you learn the basic mechanics.

BladeofOblivion
2010-09-06, 04:35 PM
It's been a while. My Warcraft III disk is hidden somewhere in my computer room, and I can't find it. Oh well. For the record, my favorite is King Leoric, because he becomes Nigh Impossible to kill at higher levels. He gets Vampiric Aura, Critical Hits, and Resurrection(!). The other ability is only good for stunning heroes.

Astrella
2010-09-06, 04:35 PM
i haz friendz

League of Legends matchmaking pairs you with beginners when you just start out. So if you have some experience in Dota-like games it gives the expression of being easy.

Meta
2010-09-06, 04:40 PM
League of Legends matchmaking pairs you with beginners when you just start out. So if you have some experience in Dota-like games it gives the expression of being easy.

No it's easier for many reasons. Denying being one that jumps to mind.

Please don't derail!

Also if you're noob and looking to get better I'm quite skilled. Set up a time to play which is cool with everyone else who would like to and we can play. On East plzzz:smallsmile:

Astrella
2010-09-06, 04:53 PM
No it's easier for many reasons. Denying being one that jumps to mind.

Please don't derail!

Also if you're noob and looking to get better I'm quite skilled. Set up a time to play which is cool with everyone else who would like to and we can play. On East plzzz:smallsmile:

I won't derail any further. Instead, read the first few pages of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139094). (Starts around the middle of the first page.)

Inhuman Bot
2010-09-06, 05:18 PM

I'm not sure if I'd say most, and it's really subjective. I don't see any appeal in LoL, but DotA's fun, though not outstanding.

toasty
2010-09-06, 06:24 PM
Ahh not mac friendly last time I checked, and also it's a much more new player friendly game without the high skill ceiling that DotA has. It's a much more simple game

To be honest, anyone who says "its easier" is BSing. The learning curve is more use-friendly, that is all, it is still as "hard" to be a pro as any other game, its just that there is a lower base level of competency.

I had Wacraft III up until I reformated my harddrive, and I don't have the CD around now, so no DotA for me. Besides, LoL is a better game, imo, and if you can, you should try it (having said that, not having a Mac friendly version and a legit reason for now playing it).

'm not sure if I'd say most, and it's really subjective. I don't see any appeal in LoL, but DotA's fun, though not outstanding

LoL is DotA 2.0... why would you not see "any" appeal in the game, if you like DotA? I see the appeal of HoN (its more of a DotA Clone) but I prefer LoL or DotA over it.

Tono
2010-09-06, 07:08 PM
On topic, I remember there being a DotA thread around a little bit ago, you may not be able to post due to necromancy reasons(Don't remember how old it is) but it may be able to point out the names of some Play grounders who play/ed it.

On the other topic, I really don't want to say much, I feel like DotA is superior to LoL in actual game and design(Hero options, item options, dening, etc. We've all heard the arguments), but the lack of a matchmaking system makes it so much easier to play on LoL, so I end up doing that, rather then play the same set of people over and over again. And HoN... HoN is okay, but even with it being a clone all the heroes seem to be a bit more unbalanced then they ever were on DotA, but that was just the impression I got from it before it went P2P.

toasty
2010-09-06, 07:44 PM
On the other topic, I really don't want to say much, I feel like DotA is superior to LoL in actual game and design(Hero options, item options, dening, etc. We've all heard the arguments), but the lack of a matchmaking system makes it so much easier to play on LoL, so I end up doing that, rather then play the same set of people over and over again. And HoN... HoN is okay, but even with it being a clone all the heroes seem to be a bit more unbalanced then they ever were on DotA, but that was just the impression I got from it before it went P2P.

Now, while I never really got to the point where I was good enough in DotA to actually objectively argue with this, I really disagree. I always just felt that LoL, at 5v5, felt more "balanced" than DotA does. But like I said, I can't really argue something like item options or hero options because am not really knowledgeable in either DotA or LoL to argue them.

IIRC, regarding HoN, it never really got balanced properly, at least, that's what others on this board have told me.

Milskidasith
2010-09-06, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure if I'd say most, and it's really subjective. I don't see any appeal in LoL, but DotA's fun, though not outstanding.

Seeing as I've seen at least three DotA threads on this forum die, and the forums LoL thread is going strong in its third topic, it seems as if the LoL community on this site is more active, at least, if not more numerous. Also, I never said LoL was better in my post.

EDIT: Anyway, as for the LoL v. DotA debate: Basically, LoL's skill ceiling is probably about as high as DotA's, it's just that the skill floor is a lot lower. Besides tooltips (LoL's tooltips are occasionally bad, leaving out info [on skills that are "Do X plus slow" occasionally the slow time/duration is not listed, which is pretty unfun), LoL has information much more obviously presented to the player. Not only that, but while it's still not a great tactic, in LoL you aren't actively punished for not tediously microing so you only last hit and never push your lane at all, and denying is absent because it's really just a newbie trap that adds a click tax to the game when you already have other, more obvious, ways to control the lane.

Meta
2010-09-06, 09:28 PM
On topic, I remember there being a DotA thread around a little bit ago, you may not be able to post due to necromancy reasons(Don't remember how old it is) but it may be able to point out the names of some Play grounders who play/ed it.

Yea I didn't wanna necro and I think it has been quite awhile.

Please don't post comparing LoL and Dota though! theyre are different games and some people will naturally like one more than the other. Plus there's a big ol thread for LoL so you can discuss it there or make a new one.

If you're interested in playing some DotA post it up, we can set up a time!

aNooburak
2010-09-08, 07:02 AM
I haven't played dota for quite a while, tell me when we have a plan set up and count me in. :smallbiggrin:

Poison_Fish
2010-09-08, 07:58 PM
I used to play dota quite intensely back in the day, but as stated, most of my former team members and friends have moved to LoL.

Though, dota fans may be interested in that Valve is working with Icefrog as of right now for something of a similar nature. Or just DotA again.

Inhuman Bot
2010-09-09, 05:41 PM
Nevar Forget. (http://www.dota-allstars.com/index.html)No idea when this was posted, but eh.