PDA

View Full Version : Design your ideal room!

WarKitty
2010-09-06, 12:05 PM
If you could have your own room (or rooms, multiple rooms are allowed) to decorate any way you want with no regard for cost, how would you do it?

Mine would be black with a giant chandelier, a canopy bed, several bookshelves, and a curtained-off bay window. The curtains and chandelier would be all done in silver, and the floor and bed and shelves would be a dark ebony wood. I'm thinking maybe various types of weaponry on the walls, all medieval of course and all in white and silver.

Edit: not just bedrooms of course! All rooms are welcome, or even your whole house.

Ponderthought
2010-09-06, 01:16 PM
The walls are dull red, with a pool table green skirt. Polished mahogany bar. Wurlitzer jukebox. Chairs with green leather upholstery. Art Deco style light fixtures. Smells of good bourbon and pipe smoke.

Haruki-kun
2010-09-06, 01:23 PM
Four post bed, huge computer station, couch in front of a big screen TV, anime and videogame posters and figurines everywhere, bookshelves with lots of manga, books, and DVD's on them, lava lamp somewhere, lights I can dim or brighten at will, large window with shutters that let NO light in.

And a tub! A bathroom with a tub. You don't have enough tubs these days.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. And most importantly: It's mine. Not sharing with anyone. Unless it's a romantic interest. No room-mates or brothers

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 01:32 PM
cathedral sized, huge stained glass windows, stone floor, brick walls, chandelier, 5 bass guitars and amps, large bed, surround sound speakers, majorly awesome sound system

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-09-06, 01:34 PM
Mine would probably be an elegant, spacious, Palladian/Georgian affair, with appropriately tasteful (rather than obnoxiously opulent) decor, an abundance of natural light from large windows, poised to let in a wondrously gentle and soothing breeze when opened according to taste. There would be several useful utilities and practical-yet-comfortingly-beautiful items of furniture, and I imagine the room to be predominately white, with secondary golds and browns.

You have there a flavour of my tastes in rooms; how surprisingly personal typing that has proved to be, alongside being a most delightful little exercise in imagination.

Of course, there would be other rooms - a huge library built along similar lines, for instance - a long, rather than wide, library appeals to me for some implacable reason. The whole house would be constructed as the room I described implies, for I would rather have a house in one style than in many. Of course, the garden and grounds would also be of astounding importance... I could go on, but I won't.

Em Blackleaf
2010-09-06, 01:48 PM
I'd want something fancy, something baroque. With lots of whites, pinks, blues, and purples. It'd be a huge library with a spacious canopy bed with soft white down blankets and one of those memory foam mattresses. There would be a couch and a few arm chairs with a big screen TV and entertainment system. Somewhere in there, there'd be a roll-top desk and my computer/notebooks/etc. The floor would be a checkerboard of cool, whitish marble and black marble, and the tall walls would be smooth and white. There would be a sparkling chandelier hanging from the high ceiling. There would be a massive white armoire with brass adornments and matching dressers. There would be enough space for all of my stuff. :smalltongue:

Then it would always be clean, magically. I'm using my imagination here. :smalltongue:

Danne
2010-09-06, 01:52 PM
The color of my room would be irrelevant, because all four walls would be lined, floor to ceiling, with bookshelves! I might allow a window of some kind. Also, I like posters. Perhaps I'll have three walls lined with book shelves and one with a window and some posters/pictures on it, then. And perhaps a fireplace, those are nice.

It would have a fluffy carpet (I like the one I have in my dorm room, only bigger) and a squishy chair. And a bed, I guess I need one of those.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 02:17 PM
mine would also bear some resemblance to the shadow gallery

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-06, 02:27 PM
My ideal room.
The room, for starters will be rather large - think as large as the UU's Library.
It will be sub-divided into smaller 'rooms' (these aren't ctually rooms as they only have three walls apiece, allowing one to walk from one 'room' to the other).
Because this is me we're talking about all the walls will be lined with books - except for some windows, and perhaps some pictures. Many of these pictures will be shortcuts to other sub-rooms in my ideal room. Four of these pictures will be pictures of rooms of other people's ideal rooms so that I may visit anyone I like without ever having to leave the comfort of my room.
The carpet will be the colour of the sky. All of the colours, starting at dawn, proceeding to a slightly cloudy and rainy midmorning, towards a gloriously blue lunchtime, then fading to the inevitable dusk and nighttime.

There will be music. Lots of it, and I can change it at any time I like by going to the fourth shelf of the central wall, twenty-nine books along. Queen and much glamorous rockus will feature heavily in my music.

So as to save space for my books, the TV, DVDs and whatnot will all be in the centre of the room (or sub-room), and there will be many cosy beds, seats or piles of cushions to sit in.

There are only two sub-rooms in the entirety of my perfect room that are without books: the kitchen and the swimming pool. But I can take books into them, so all's good.

Plus it will magically be always mostly clean, with that slight air of clutter that makes it perfect and welcoming.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 02:31 PM
My ideal room.
Plus it will magically be always mostly clean, with that slight air of clutter that makes it perfect and welcoming.

you mean that "lived in" everyone likes?

Lord Raziere
2010-09-06, 02:33 PM
I think it would be one third library, one third writing workshop and one third computer and videogame room.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-09-06, 02:55 PM
No regard to cost? I would hang Van Gogh's Starry Night there. Otherwise... something modern. My bedroom would only be just that - a bedroom. All my other stuff would be in different rooms.

SilverSheriff
2010-09-06, 03:09 PM
I'd build something that would Rival most Military installations... I will post more detail later...

Coidzor
2010-09-06, 04:48 PM
My Study. I'd have several almost-full-length windows on the exterior wall with a colonnade of marble or polished limestone with ionic capitals (edit 2: maybe with the royal crest of Hyrule on a shield overlapping the capital with the base of the crest-shield starting on the column proper) between them dominating the wall that has a door or double door out onto a deck with a view overlooking some hills. Probably a pediment with relief statuary in it as well, though I'm not sure what would be depicted. There would be most of one of the walls devoted to bookshelves, possibly with the bookshelves set into the wall. I'd keep my computer desk on one of the walls

Probably a light blue paint job on the walls. Maybe mahogany trim/crown molding. Maybe almost sky blue with some clouds for the segments of wall that would be visible.

There would be a fair amount of empty floorspace, and the room would intend to have an open feeling to it. I'm thinking hardwood floors with occasional rugs and an exercise mat that could be rolled out for the center of the room. Attached to this would be a small studio for playing/recording music or just practicing.

The deck would large enough and far enough out from the house to grill on, and possibly have a covered portion of it with some minor exercise equipment on it.

I'm thinking I'd like some sort of sculpture centerpiece to tie the room together as its focus. Not really sure what sort of theme I would follow with the art that I'd put on the walls, but I know I would have it on the walls of my study, not as much as would be on an equivalent stretch of wall in an art museum, but not exactly sparingly either...

My bedroom. My bedroom would be modest in comparison, probably being mostly dominated by my bed, a double or queen, if not actually just being a walk-in closet attached to my study/open floor-plan quarters. It'd basically be some variety of neutralish or cool light color and have only a few smaller windows with good blinds/curtains that can be made to block most light, because I have difficulty sleeping when there's light hitting my face even if it's moonlight. I'd keep a bedside table, a small bookcase, and a bedside lamp of some sort as furnishing. I would probably have either carpet flooring or have a rug large enough to encompass most of the room that's not bed. I am not sure what, if anything, I would store underneath the bed. There would be one or two smaller paintings on the walls, something restful or domestic or casual as subject matter, though likely I would not put any paintings or prints above the head of my bed.

I would have a walk-in closet of my hanging clothes and probably keep my dresser and shoe-rack in there as well. That room would just be carpeted with white walls considering I wouldn't be in there for long or looking at the walls. These might all actually just be two different side-rooms from the main study/quarters or just a set of side-rooms off of the main room that would make up my quarters.

I'd also have a full bathroom that would connect to both my bedroom and my study. It'd have a combination shower/bathtub that would accommodate someone of my height.

There would be a painting of various constellations on the ceiling of my bedroom. Notable constellations and the ones that relate to my zodiac.

The Master Bedroom.I'd have two separate walk-in closets from the master bedroom, much like the walk-in closet I would have for my solo bedroom and the master suite would be its own floor. It'd feature a king size bed, possibly a four post, possibly just with a head board and optional minor foot board, a suitable painting for hanging above the marriage bed would go over the headboard, with several other original paintings according to our tastes picked out for the walls of the bedroom, possibly involving horses or landscapes.

There would be a door opening out to a cozy veranda for two nestled out of full view and exposure to the outside world by elements of the roof.

The bathroom would have a double sink and solid mirror for the entire sink-area with a trim outline, with heated tile floors, possibly chessboard pattern, possibly a tile-mosaic reproduction of a work of art. Since I can't really think of an appropriate sort of bathtub, there'd probably just be a large shower, spacious for one, comfortable for two.

There might be an entertainment center such that television could be watched from bed or could be set up easily to do so. Probably have the bedroom be carpeted in a neutral tone with a warm pain scheme, though I'm not feeling any color in particular right now. There would be a set of mirrors on the wall for dressing in the morning either in the bedroom or in each closet, and there might be relief carvings forming the upper border between the wall and the ceiling, possibly in wood, maybe depicting a romanticized account of the relationship up to marriage and the establishment of the house. For at least some segment of the ceiling...

Maybe something along the lines of this (only, not our parents) for the ceiling of the bathroom... (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/19980222) I'm not sure why, but for some reason the idea of using something like "The Kiss" like that just struck a chord with me and has stuck with me since I first read that strip when I was a teenage boy.

In the section of the floor that has the stairs to the level below/level up, would be where the group portraits of the family would be arranged on the walls. I dunno if it's narcissistic or creepy, but I think it'd be nice to have a painted couple's portrait either as one of the first things seen when entering the master bedroom or by the door to the master bedroom from the stairs.

There would be many more windows to let natural light in to the master suite as opposed to my bachelor room, these would have storm windows over them and be better insulated than, say, my study though. They'd still have curtains which could shut out the light/add privacy, but the windows would also be larger.

The dining room. The dining room would have several dark wood pieces of furniture, the floor layout I'm imagining is actually mostly based upon my maternal grandparents' and ex-fiance's parents' dining rooms. There would be a dining table with seating for 8 people normally with 1 more chair per side able to fit, I'm thinking actually that it wouldn't quite be ebony in terms of dark, but maybe something almost as dark with a warm tinge to it. Sort of like dark cherry soda, y'know?

There would be a hutch of wood matching the dining set for displaying and storing the fine china and glasses on one side and opposite that on the other side of the table would be another matching piece of furniture which would predominately be used for displaying appropriate seasonal knickknacks or floral arrangments. (honestly, I'm not sure what the piece of furniture was, since mostly I just recall it being used to set things on and to have a fine crystal glass bottle in which was stored some ultra-high quality and genteel bourbon whiskey set upon it. They may have been used for additional storage and just rarely opened up, but both households had them there, haha)

There would be several windows with dark wooden shutters and they would overlook some green landscaping. The floor I'd like to be hardwood or tile, probably an ivory or bone-white tile to balance out the dark/black wood. Not sure what color scheme I would pick for the walls, but the ceiling would just be white.

Lighting would be provided by a small chandelier and two small lights on either side of each door, slightly above head level, that would all be hooked up to a dimmer light switch. There would be two doors into the room, one attached to the entrance hallway and one to the kitchen area, such that the windows only take up an L-shape of the room. The doors themselves would be partially glass but again, mostly dark wood.

The rest of the place... I'd probably go for a more open floor plan in my ideal domicile, aside from things that need or demand full-walls, which would generally be anchored to the exterior walls so they wouldn't be too jarringly out of place, most of the general living area would have half-walls or be areas of open floor plan.

The den especially would have the ability to expand or contract around the entertainment system as necessary depending upon how many people were say, watching television or over to watch movies together. Probably would have the kitchen be anchored to the exterior wall for several of the heavier appliances but otherwise be more open upon the living room/den and making use of islands for additional counter-space and storage.

There would be a more eclectic mixture of art on the walls in the rest of the house than in the bedrooms, possibly things like brass rubbings or quilts/tapestries.

I'm thinking the furniture would mostly be wood, maybe more of a chestnut or cherry.

Probably have the half-bathroom for guests with a forest green bottom half paint job and some kind of neutral-to-relaxing wallpaper for the upper half.

Edit:
Hmm, I didn't even think of it, but after seeing Curly mention it, I think I would definitely like sound systems in most of the house, or at least speakers tying into a sound system, probably 4 of them, one for the master suite, one each for the studies, and one for the lower, common area of the house. It'd probably be 3-4 stories with a basement and possible attic (or maybe just a mostly flat roof that can be partially used... What is that called?)

Also, I would like a bay window overlooking a flower garden, not sure if I'd like it off of the parlour or the kitchen or both though.

I guess the biggest things are more open floor plan that's less naturally capable of becoming cluttered and plenty of art to display and enjoy. Also, natural lighting, beyond that I'm not very picky aside from perhaps wanting more space than I should morally desire, though I have a preference for wood and tile.

WarKitty
2010-09-06, 05:04 PM
I'm noticing bookshelves are popular. Nerds. :smallsmile:

Ditto on the sound system. I think I also want a grand piano and a piano hall.

Coidzor
2010-09-06, 05:12 PM

Ditto on the sound system. I think I also want a grand piano and a piano hall.

A piano hall? :smallconfused:

WarKitty
2010-09-06, 05:18 PM
A piano hall? :smallconfused:

Concert hall I guess. I'm not sure, I'd need an acoustic engineer. I want something with the acoustic properties of a concert hall, but the size of a small ballroom.

Danne
2010-09-06, 05:18 PM

You say that like it's a bad thing. :smalltongue:

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 05:23 PM
bookshelvees? i have too many books, i just stack 'em:smallbiggrin:

Danne
2010-09-06, 06:13 PM
Me, too. That's why I want a room full of shelves!

Coidzor
2010-09-06, 06:40 PM
Concert hall I guess. I'm not sure, I'd need an acoustic engineer. I want something with the acoustic properties of a concert hall, but the size of a small ballroom.

Well, shape and materials will go a long way towards getting good acoustics.

thubby
2010-09-06, 08:47 PM
a nice light blue corner room, a bit bigger than what i have, with (from the door looking in) a L shaped desk along the left wall facing the door with 1 of the windows behind it (along with suitably plushy chair), TV xbox and stereo on a simple black TV stand along the right wall, closet in the corner along the same wall.
bed in the farthest corner of the room with a minifridge doubling as a nightstand.
wall mounted wooden shelves would be above the TV and potentially the left wall for books.
maybe posters above the bed, something like an ocean or island view.

Isak
2010-09-06, 09:20 PM
Talking about just a room... It'd be fun to have one that's multi-level. A larger room, with a couch or futon, a coffee table, as well as a larger table with enough chairs to go around Obviously a good sized TV and game consoles would be here as well. Oh, and little things. Like a mini-fridge. Filled with Monster.

From there, a stair-case that follows the wall up to the second level (A loft-ish type area, overlooking the main part of the room). My computer, as well as a second set of game consoles would be here. Along with my bed. And a nice skylight. Bigger the bed, the better. :smalltongue:

My ideal house is something very... Odd. All you would see from the outside is a small house. A two car garage, with a small entrance area. And stairs. Going down. The house itself would be built into a 50 foot deep pit, with enough area to actually have a good sized house (Both height, and layout wise; I like the idea of a larger house, with hallways and such to idly walk through; Not necessarily a "block" house). Each floor would branch out in a different direction underground. The more confusing the actual layout, the better.

I like the idea of my own personal underground labyrinth a little too much, I think :smalltongue:

WarKitty
2010-09-06, 09:23 PM
I like the idea of my own personal underground labyrinth a little too much, I think :smalltongue:

Mine has a silver dragon in it. :smallbiggrin:

Alarra
2010-09-07, 12:07 AM
Okay, dream house here.

Enter into foyer. There will be a small coatroom to your right. Feel free to leave your coat and shoes here. Of course, if you'd like to keep your shoes, that's okay too.

At the end of the entrance hallway, you come to a spacious 2 story living room. There is a staircase along the left wall that leads up to a balcony that overlooks the room below and also serves as a hallway to allow you into the upstairs rooms. This room is open and airy with soft, inviting couches. A circular coffee table sits in the middle of the room, with pie wedge shaped storage ottomans/chairs arranged beneath it that can be pulled out for more seating. There is a fireplace on the right wall between two entrances that appear to lead into the kitchen. This room is done in black and white, with photo prints and a gray patterned rug.

Before you head into the kitchen, you see that there are french doors arranged at an angle on both sides of the entrance to the living room. You open the door to the right. This leads to the library. You recall that when you drove up to the house, you noticed that on both sides of the main entrance were turrets. Not quite round, but rather octagonal in shape. This is one of them. The library is also two floors, with a balcony halfway up the room to delineate the second floor. There is a door there that leads from the living room balcony. The lower floor alternates on each side floor to ceiling book shelves and floor to ceiling windows, with cushioned window seats in each one. There are floor lamps and a sliding ladder to help one get the higher books. The top floor is completely filled with books. There is a small spiral staircase to one side, allowing access to the second floor balcony. There are some low chairs and tables in the center of the room to allow for reading. This room is done in dark cherry woods and shades of red.

You head back to try the other french doors. These lead into the office. There are fewer windows, though they still have window seats and are (as are all of the windows in the house) equipped with black out shades that can be pulled down when necessary. There is a lot of enclosed shelving and cupboards, and much of the room is made up of continuous counter space, some of which is set up with computers, but leaving plenty for space to do other work, should one need to. This room is a soft sage.

You then head into the kitchen. The living room fireplace is also open to the kitchen. There is a large island with counter seating, a walk in pantry, and modern, shiny appliances. At the back of the house/kitchen is a sun room, with a cozy kitchen table and many windows. Sliding doors here lead to a back patio with grill. You can see the pool beyond. There is a back staircase near the pantry that leads up into the master suite and down into the basement.

To the left of the sunroom, behind the living room, if one were looking at a floor plan, is the formal dining room, with a large table that can be expanded to seat 12, a hutch that holds more dragon figurines than china, and a buffet along the other wall. The room is very bright and cheerful. There is an exit from one end of the dining room that leads back into the living room.

On the left side of the living room, below the staircase, there is a bathroom and another small coat room. There is also an entrance to the garage here.

You take the stairs to the balcony, pausing a moment to look at the living room below. On this side of the living room, there are two bedrooms, probably belonging to children, connected by a bathroom. They are spacious and probably very tackily decorated, as the kids did it themselves. There is also a large play room, which holds most of their toys and a large tv and gaming consoles.

At the back of the living room is a laundry room and an art studio. The studio has many windows for great natural light and is well stocked. There is also a computer here. There is also a maid's quarters.

Coming around to the right side of the living room, you have the master suite. The wall that faces the side of the house is a 5-paneled bay window, each window wide enough for a comfortable window seat, with storage beneath. The middle window does not have a seat, but rather a large dresser like object. It does not obscure the gorgeous view down the mountain that the room has. There is a remote control on the dresser. When you mess with it, a large flat screen television pops up out of it. Directly across from the windows is a king bed, night stands on either side and a headboard with shelves and cubbies so drinks, books and alarm clocks will always be close at hand. There is soft, gray carpeting, and the room is done in shades of blue with my own artwork on the walls.

There is a door to the left of the bed leading to the master bath, which has a two person shower, as well as a separate jacuzzi tub. There are side by side sinks and a mirror that goes along the entire wall. There is an entrance from the bathroom into the gigantic walk-in closet. There is another entrance from the closet back into the bedroom.

On the other side of the bedroom is a seating area, with a few comfortable couches/chairs, its own television, and a minibar, with fridge and microwave. There are doors from the master suite leading into the library and studio, as well as to the outer hallway and back stairway.

You then move down to the basement. Much of the basement is a large open gaming room. There is a theater area with comfortable couches and a large tv, gaming consoles. There is a poker table and pool table and a pacman table game. There is a large collection of board and card games. There is a bar, which includes our shot glasses and bottles collections and another bathroom.

In the non-open area of the basement, there is a spacious guest room, with connected bath and a storage room.

There is an intercom system and central vacuuming system throughout the house. There is also a sound system connected throughout each of the rooms.

Remmirath
2010-09-07, 01:26 AM
Huh, I hadn't really thought about it much before now.

It would be on the second story, possibly the third or fourth if the house was tall enough to accomodate that. It would have a reasonably tall ceiling. There would be an alcove on one end with a bunkbed in it; I'd sleep on the top (which would have many blankets and pillows), and underneath there would be a desk, a chair, and a lamp on the desk. What would be in the desk would be mostly drawing supplies and, somewhere, my laptop.
The whole alcove would have curtains, probably dark red with gold accents (most furniture would follow this general colour theme, though some would be wood or black).

I would want the walls to be stone or wood (not sure which - maybe both?), and hung with various rugs and tapestries. I'd probably line one of the walls with bookshelves and a CD/comic shelf. The ceiling would be painted in elaborate and realistic views from space.

I'd have a large and comfortable chair or two in a corner near the bookshelves, and probably a small night-stand style table between them (there might as well be two). The carpet would be the same general colour as the curtains, and soft (emphasis on this - my actual carpet is quite scratchy).

There would be a window across from the alcove with the bed, and it would be a sort of bay window with a bench seat. The seat would have plenty of cushions. The window would have thick curtains of the same type. The door would be across from the wall with the bookshelves.

I'd forego a closet and have a wardrobe and a dresser instead, and I suppose putting a mirror in somewhere would probably be useful. There would be various standing lamps so I could light as much or as little of the room as I wanted, and they'd all be of a warmer sort of light. A fireplace would be great, with some cushions scattered at a reasonable distance from it or possibly a sofa.

I'd also have a nice speaker system, possibly a record player. I'd have my computer desk in another corner of the room, but it wouldn't be my main computer - instead, it'd be something set up to dual-boot DOS and Linux, and would have the task of running all the old games that won't run any more on my main computer (as well as some Linux games).

The whole room would be pretty small. I don't like lots of space. It would, however, be large enough that I could do things like practice with a sword without fear of knocking things over. Speaking of that, that's another thing that would be on the walls - weapons. Swords mostly, the occasional axe and perhaps a bow or two.

The only other thing that would be particularly important to me in a house would be having a gaming room. Somewhere where all the main family computers are, with a very large table - no, two tables, so we could run two different games at once - with comfortable chairs and a shelf perfectly designed to hold all sorts of manuals and figures. Both the tables would have large, built-in dry erase boards which would be able to be covered if desired for playing board games and such. I would want that to be on the same floor as my room, preferably, and in much the same style except with a wood floor.

2010-09-08, 03:50 AM
i got started on this in sketchup once.

i ended up getting a bit overambitious; ended up trying a triangular fortress on its own island with different styles (inlcuding of garden) on each side and a courtyard in the middle with a-then i decided i would draw in the plumbing and electrical systems too, which because im paranoid would all need to be redundant, secret passages because im paranoid, staff logistics and security procedures, various traps and alarm systems because im paranoid, what the ground might be made of, ideal climates for security sustainability and the various wildlife

i learned an important lesson though; your first recreational engineering project should not ever ever ever be a modern fortress with a focus on escape tunnels death traps and aesthetic appeal.

Lioness
2010-09-08, 06:52 AM
742: Hah.

My ideal room...bedroom, music room, and awesome place all in one.

This place is large. Think 2 1/2 times the size of your average bedroom. Maybe 10x10m (I dunno, but it's big)

One wall will be almost all window. There will be lovely red curtains. Oh, and the walls are light pink. Opposite the window there is a double bed. Nothing too fancy, but made from a nice wood, and with a classy bedspread. In the left corner of the room, near the window, there is a grand piano. It's black, and shiny, and has a perfect touch.

The walls are lined with bookshelves, preferably filled with books. They reach from floor to ceiling, and there is one of those awesomely cool sliding ladder things, so I can reach any book I want. They are all magically in alphabetical order. The bookshelf nearest the piano is filled with sheet music. Chopin and Debussy have an entire shelf to themselves.

In the other corner of the room - also near the window, there is a small reading/work area. Comfy chairs, a coffee table, and a reading lamp.

The whole place stays magically clean. I need no wardrobe. My clothes are elsewhere*.

*Actually, perhaps a walk in robe, hidden in a trapdoor under my bed, or near my bed. That would be epic.

Another trap door leads to a large dance floor, with an amazing floor, no pillars, and mirrored walls. There is a stereo system to play music, and a few couches for socialising between practice.

Quincunx
2010-09-08, 07:42 AM
Multi-story, narrow, windowed floor plan of the last Irish house-share;
not among other houses but free-standing on a plot with deep topsoil;
Scandinavian design in the bathroom and kitchen, full tile floors;
in my rooms (sunny side) tables and floors are uncluttered;
my walls are only decorated with what can be suspended from a pin;
in his rooms (shaded side) you can't see paint or floor or table surface;
ten forms of geek entertainment are ready at hand from the leather couch;
oh bugger I've just managed to either change the font or reduce the font size;
actually everything displayed on the page was squashed vertically;
and I want quality! studded interior walls, mixer taps in bathroom sinks, exclusion valves on every single pipe! guttering topped with mesh and treated to repel moss! twice as many circuit breakers as the normal house, with two circuits accessible in every room on the shady side, and enough outlets to plug in EVERYTHING without extension cords! exterior paint that lasts, or brickwork which doesn't crumble in a year! shower drains the size of my fist, free-standing bathroom pipes and shower areas painted with sealant, an indicator lock on the door!

ghost_warlock
2010-09-08, 08:58 AM
http://www.luxuryhousingtrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/green-cave-house-in-arizona.jpg

Haruki-kun
2010-09-08, 09:15 AM
http://www.luxuryhousingtrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/green-cave-house-in-arizona.jpg

Whoa. Awesome.

That's what I want, forget mine.

ghost_warlock
2010-09-08, 09:22 AM
Whoa. Awesome.

That's what I want, forget mine.

Apparently, it exists in Arizona (http://www.luxuryhousingtrends.com/archive/2009/01/green-living-in-a-cave-house/). Lists at ~$2 million. :smallfrown:

“Tucked away in a canyon in the Mule Mountains just outside of Bisbee, Arizona this fantastic property offers a unique cave house in a wonderful natural setting. At 5300′ elevation the cave house, guest house, and various outbuildings make an ideal retreat. A natural creek flows through the property and has lovely swimming pools with rock patios. The area attracts birders from around the world and is perfect for wildlife viewing. Chulo, another word for coatimundi have been viewed on the property. The land, approximately 45 acres, is home to over 79 species of birds, 113 species of butterflies, ringtail cats, foxes, skunks, deer, squirrels, lizards, frogs and snakes just to name a few.”

Lioness
2010-09-08, 09:27 AM
This (http://www.treehouseworkshop.com/port_getaways_01.html) would also make a pretty awesome house...the picture changes...check out the second one.

ghost_warlock
2010-09-08, 10:51 AM
This (http://www.treehouseworkshop.com/port_getaways_01.html) would also make a pretty awesome house...the picture changes...check out the second one.

Reminds me of DragonLance for some reason. :smalltongue:

SilverSheriff
2010-09-08, 10:57 AM
Reminds me of DragonLance for some reason. :smalltongue:

Indeed...:smallbiggrin:

druid91
2010-09-08, 11:37 AM
It would be far enough underground that it would need an elevater to get to.
it would be huge and preferably as confusing as that one house that the lady who thought she would die if she stopped building built. Only filled with cool stuff, like books and videogames.

Danne
2010-09-08, 11:46 AM

A labyrinth...made of bookshelves! :smallbiggrin:

Okay, I'll stop now. XD

max-is-working
2010-09-08, 01:16 PM
I've always wanted a small bathroom with deep red walls and fake religious art from various religions. It seems sacrilegious, but it's always made sense to me in terms of use of space. I mean, a prayer room should be private and small and quiet...

Allan Surgite
2010-09-08, 01:45 PM
My ideal bedroom?

Bed. Not sure how large it should be. Large enough for me, but no larger than that. A wardrobe, since I can't store my clothes on the floor. Something dark for the wallpaper, white ceiling.

...yep, that'd be it. Bookshelves never have enough space to store the number of books I would like to.

Snares
2010-09-08, 02:28 PM
Hmm, mine... the room would be spacious. Very spacious. And spacious up, as well as spacious on the floor; the walls would be really high, with big, tall windows along at least two of the walls. For the colour scheme, I'm thinking various shades of dark red and dark green. The wallpaper would be a shade of claret, perhaps with a subtle floral pattern in a lighter shade of red, and the curtains for those big windows would be a slightly darker red. Carpet? Yes, one like the Indian ones that are in my house, only bigger and grander. A wood floor would be underneath.

As for the actual contents of the room... a few armchairs and a small round table clustered round in front of a fireplace, which, preferably, would have a roaring fire as often as possible. There'd be a nice old wardrobe to put my clothes and suchlike in, a wooden desk in front of one of the windows with one of those green glass lamp things, writing paper and a laptop (and ideally an evil villain-style swivel chair and one of those little nameplate things :smallbiggrin:). Oh, and a bed, obviously. Maybe four-poster, maybe not. Depends how opulent I would be feeling when I was choosing the bed. There'd be a chandelier hanging down from the high ceiling. Bookshelves, naturally. And a lovely sound system, discreetly tucked away so it doesn't ruin the style of the room. Probably a few nice paintings on the walls, and little ornaments and a clock on the mantelpiece.

Then there'd be a little section off from the main bedroom - a little soundproofed recording studio/drum room, and at this point I could go into ridiculous detail about my dream kit, too, but let's just say it would be an amazingly sexy top-of-the-range Dark Horse custom job and leave it at that. :smallwink:

max-is-working
2010-09-08, 02:38 PM
I've thought some more about this thread, and I want bedroom furniture made entirely of used books. I need to keep the Ludovician - the most dangerous of the conceptual fish - away while I dream!

onthetown
2010-09-08, 02:46 PM
I designed my ideal bedroom last year and I'm still happily living in it. :smallbiggrin: It's perfect for me.

The walls are a nice, dark, rich purple (http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Airbrush/Badger/Imagine-Air/Dark-Purple/Dark-Purple.gif). I painted my furniture (bedframe, desk, bookshelf, hope chest, bureau) white. I have really neat string curtains (http://image.shopzilla.co.uk/resize?sq=80&uid=2062644346) (that's the only picture I could find of the brand) over sheer orange panels (http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=80&uid=1932468771) (again, only pic I could find). My mom got me a turquoise, green, blue, and white striped bedset that matches the curtains (it's a kid's bedset, but I love it because it's so colourful).

I like lots of colours. The room used to be a really cold aqua, so this is a huge improvement and I spent months planning it all out and saving up for it. (It helps that I worked at a home store and got a discount on the curtains and whatnot.)

I'll be happy anywhere as long as I can keep designing my own rooms.

Edit: I'll be really happy about it and consider it a true dream room once I clean out my closet and move my desk and workspace in there, then hang a hammock in the empty space and get a daybed or a four-poster to replace my 70-year-old bedframe.

SilverSheriff
2010-09-10, 01:43 PM
Super-computer for gaming.

Back-Up Laptops.

internet connections featuring un-capped Cable, and back-up Wireless.

Several Reclining leather couches.

Air Conditioning.

4 52-inch, HDLCD televisions with surround-sound set-up for each.

Each Television would also be hooked up to their own Xbox360 slims.

16 Wireless Xbox360 Controllers, 2 wired.

A library of Computer and Xbox360 games.

King Size Bed with Black and white cotton Bedsheets.

Lots of in-built Drawers, Cupboards, Closets and Shelves.

featuring 12 Large Storage Rooms, 1 Master Bedroom (Mine, where the Super-Computer would go), 2 Bathrooms, 1 somewhat large Kitchen, Lounge, Dining, Under-ground Pool Facilities with a closing-roof for those unusually Warm/cold/radio-active days.:smallamused:

Probably Underground a multi-acre propety, which would feature a Solar Farm (back-ups inside base Home) with and under-ground Water-tanks.

Water Purification system.

Underground Garage.

Electric Cars.

Long distance away from the city (but not too far).

Heavily Fenced.

I may, or may not be some sort of crazy Hermit... and I may, or may not make everything look like the inside of Vault-tech brand Vaults.:smalltongue:

Maelstrom
2010-09-12, 05:57 AM
Wow...those are some crazy, er, rooms. Sounds almost like...houses.

Concrete
2010-09-13, 08:45 AM
Smal square room, with bookshelves along the east and the west walls, and a tansu along the south, and a bed and a comfy chair where I can fit it in.
The furniture is made of dark wood, iron and bronce.
The floor is made from rough oak, the walls are covered in white plaster.
the bookshelves has a huge square hole each through them, with a window on the other side to let in light, along with a high window on the south wall.
It would be lit by a soft, yellowish light, with a reading-light by the bed and the chair.
A foldable staircase leading to an attic, with a door to the roof.
Preferably somewhere away from city lights.