PDA

View Full Version : Darkest Hour IC

Ajadea
2010-09-06, 01:05 PM
The world has ended. The dead don't die any more. You don't know if they can't or won't, but they refuse to leave the land of the living. Those who die come back as undead. The destroyed undead will reform and return. Over and over, even when they are dust in the wind they return as ghosts and wraiths to haunt the living. And every day, more people die. The sun rarely shines now, clouds of spirit-matter obscuring almost all the light. Always.

The dead outnumber the living. How could they not? The world is about to end and we may be the last on the planet. Where are the wonders that once roamed this land? Is there a shred of hope left for us, or will we fail, our tale forgotten? Perhaps the gods themselves have abandoned us, for we know not if they hear our cries for mercy and help. Perhaps the gods never existed at all. We know not. We can only fight, one day at a time, against an unceasing tide of the dead.

There is never peace. Not any more. And certainly not right now, in the ruins of somewhere that might once have been a fishing village. Now all that is there is undead, desolation, and ruin. And you. You don't know who are the others fleeing from the dead, but they are alive. Hopefully. That is enough. Especially since you are currently backed into a dead end by whatever dead pursued you there. They are gone, but you are trapped, and the moans of the dead echo around you. And at some point, they will find you.

RP. Act, react. And prepare to fight.

OOC: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167337

Sinfonian
2010-09-06, 01:21 PM
Lucretia looks at the motley assortment of those around her, saying:
"Been a while since I've seen more breathers." She looks at the will-o-the-wisp. "...and whatever else you are. I suppose now's as good a time as any to hit back again to get a brief rest."

Looking at the dead end (smirking at the irony of the situation and location), she nonchalantly walks up it to a height of 10 ft up (or the top of the barrier, whichever comes first) using the all-day effect of spiderwalk.

Krull
2010-09-06, 03:00 PM
Yes. we should rest while we have the chance, but it would be foolish to all sleep at once. We would be defenceless against the dead if we are all asleep. I've seen what the dead can do. But then we would be in the same situation. Eventually they would over power us. Im willing to take first watch if you want rest though.With that he draws his sword.

sciencepanda
2010-09-06, 07:37 PM
The floating icosahedron glows dimly at the group. Every day, its last stock of food grows smaller, it shrinks from hunger. The sheer irratation of this has begun to get to it.

This is all their fault, the creature thinks, if only these damn meat-creatures would just stay dead, this problem would end. But no, it continues, If I am too feed, it is best to be aided. It is unfortunate, but meat is it's own reward.

The Will O'Wisp addresses the group in a loud barking voice, seemingly too noisy for such a small object, "Rest is good. I can spot from higher up, when my rest is done."

mucat
2010-09-06, 11:54 PM
The red-haired human steps forward as if to offer to share first watch, but the act nearly overbalances him; he is almost too exhausted to stand. "I do need to sleep before I'll be any use," he admits hoarsely, leaning on his heavy wooden club as though it were an old man's staff. "Wake me when it's time to switch shifts."

He takes a few steps to a ruined wall, where he should be out of the way and not trip anyone while he sleeps, then practically collapses to the ground, his head lying on his unopened pack. He fights off sleep just long enough to say, to no one or to everyone, "Can't tell you how good it is to see all of you. I knew I couldn't be the only one left." Seconds later, he is snoring.

Edge of Dreams
2010-09-07, 12:04 AM
Kendra sits down cross-legged, with her back to a wall, and tries to calm her mind.

"My father always said, 'danger makes strange allies.' I may sleep, but I don't think I'll really be able to rest until we're somewhere safer. Wake me when I'm needed."

Taking 20 on Concentration check to gain Psionic Focus, which takes 2 minutes. In fact, I'd like to just have the blanket statement that she'll do this *whenever* she isn't Focused and has time, such as after combat, when getting up in the morning, etc.

Sinfonian
2010-09-07, 02:16 AM
((As an elf with low-light vision, I assume that I have IC knowledge of the contents of the spoiler in the OOC thread, otherwise, my mistake. Given that I essentially asked for that knowledge, I figure it's okay. On an unrelated note, my character has for some reason decided that the world is divided into "breathers" and "deadies".))

Lucretia looks incredulous at the other people who have come into the alley with her who look all too ready to relax in the middle of a dangerous situation.

These survivors aren't much longer for the land of the breathing...no sense of self-preservation.

She looks to do something to at least get some use out of these undead-to-be before they die. Though the floating thing might already be there...

"Gentle...things, you might not want to rest just now. There are 3 deadies coming our way."

GM:
How far away are they?

Ajadea
2010-09-07, 02:30 AM
Lucretia (yes, I address people by character name in the IC thread)

About 70 feet away from where you are.

Elder_Kin
2010-09-07, 08:08 AM
Apollos sits cleaning his sword. It's last encounter with the unliving left chunks of of gristle and blood that the simple hemp tunic which served as his clothes were doing a poor job of removing. It was an odd blade, shaped like a straight elongated cleaver with a flat chisel like top. It's "scabbard" lay at his side, a long and simple linen cloth covered in prayers and hymnals written in the language of the gods.

Lazily he eyes the group of survivors. Three other humans two men and a woman, his gaze resting on the latter a bit longer. The other some kind of talking lamp, and a non-man. He scoffs to quietly to himself. "Couldn't have just been my kind. You certainly do test Lord."

"You all seem very eager to rest in light of the situation." he calls out to his new acquaintances. "I've not eaten in two days and still I know that sitting on ones ass is not appropriate at present."

Upon hearing the non-man speak he stands. He ties the cloth scabbard through and eyelet that serves as it's wearers pommel, wrapping the rest around his right arm. From within his tunic he with pulls out an ornate wooden symbol and clutches it with his left hand. "Non-man, Where are the dead of which you speak?"

Edge of Dreams
2010-09-07, 10:39 AM
Kendra stands quickly at the news of approaching enemies.

"Close fighters to the front," she says, in the tone of someone used to being in charge, "Throwers and shooters stay back."

She takes a moment to re-tie the strap of leather keeping her long blond hair out of her face, then readies her spiked club. "'Only fear enough to live', he always told me, 'no more, no less'."

Krull
2010-09-07, 11:06 AM
Scaeneloh Heads to the front, removing his pack and getting in a defensive style. How long until they arrive?

sciencepanda
2010-09-07, 01:21 PM
Ill shifts his geometry in anticipation.

"Let them come! I must feed, and their flesh will be all the more delicious after they have felt my surge of power! I wait!"

It floats forward, ready to charge at the zombie hoard.

Ajadea
2010-09-07, 01:21 PM
Well, then, initiative, if you're feeling so trigger happy.

Sinfonian
2010-09-07, 01:24 PM
"Those deadies could be here in moments, if they come directly."

Lucretia prepares to engage.

Initiative: [roll0]

(Edit: As it's a dead end, Lucretia ignores any questions about the direction of the incoming undead.)

sciencepanda
2010-09-07, 01:34 PM

Krull
2010-09-07, 02:05 PM
Initiative
[roll0]

Edge of Dreams
2010-09-07, 02:29 PM
Kendra prepares for battle.

[roll0]

If her turn comes up before the enemy has been engaged, and nothing is in range to blast, she'll position herself behind the front line fighters and ready an action to manifest Energy Ray at the first enemy to come within range (25 ft).

mucat
2010-09-07, 02:59 PM
The red-haired man had time for perhaps three snores before waking to the news that they had not shaken off pursuit after all.

He uses the club to lever himself to his feet, and steps to join the front line. "Once more into the breach," he recites, gripping the makeshift weapon with both hands and fixing his gaze on the alley's mouth. "Never did know what that meant. Should have asked."

Elder_Kin
2010-09-07, 05:01 PM
Sighing Apollos non-chalantly jogs till he's a bit behind the two other human males. "Well boys looks like we're the "frontline" eh?"

Initiative [roll0]
If we're looking at a grid. I will be standing 20ft behind Scaenloh and Tarn

Ajadea
2010-09-07, 05:11 PM
Monsters: [roll0]

Battle Grid

{table]||A|B|C|
1|X|M?|M?|M?|X
2|X|M?|M?|M?|X
3|X||||X
4|X||||X
5|X||||X
6|X||T||X
7|X|A|I|S|X
8|X||K||X
9|X||||X
10|X||||X
11|X||||X
12|X||||X
13|X|||L|X
14|X||||X
15|X||||X
X|X|X|X|X|X[/table]

Lucretia (L)
Tarm (T)
Scaeneloh (S)
Apollos (A)
Ill Dominion (I)
Kendra (K)
Monsters (M)

Place yourselves and go!

Sinfonian
2010-09-07, 05:25 PM
Battle Grid

{table]|X|A|B|C|X
1|X||||X
2|X||||X
3|X||||X
4|X||||X
5|X||||X
6|X||||X
7|X||||X
8|X||||X
9|X||||X
10|X||||X
11|X||||X
12|X||||X
13|X|||L|X
14|X||||X
15|X||||X
X|X|X|X|X|X[/table]

Lucretia starts out at the position marked L, and as noted earlier, is spiderwalking 10 ft up.

She readies an action:
She will fire an Eldritch Blast at first skeleton to come into range (60 ft) of her.

((Edited to actually make use of the map))

Ajadea
2010-09-07, 05:45 PM
Map added to my post above.

Sinfonian
2010-09-07, 06:02 PM
((In order to not hold anything up, I'll roll for the readied action now.Just apply whenever it's triggered.))

Eldritch Blast- Ranged Touch Attack [roll0].
If hit, [roll1]

sciencepanda
2010-09-07, 07:21 PM
{table]||A|B|C|
1|X|M?|M?|M?|X
2|X|M?|M?|M?|X
3|X||||X
4|X||||X
5|X||||X
6|X||||X
7|X||I||X
8|X||||X
9|X||||X
10|X||||X
11|X||||X
12|X||||X
13|X|||L|X
14|X||||X
15|X||||X
X|X|X|X|X|X[/table]

Ill flies on ahead, shifting his geometry so that an electrical current begins to flow throughout his being.

Elder_Kin
2010-09-08, 04:07 AM
He is not afraid of the dead. They are foul creations and his faith sustains him.

Walking Apollos ends his movements next to the flying torch for better sight. I hope that the light you shine is as bright as mine.

Holding up the symbol of his lord he shouts. "My soul is armored by Faith, driven on the road of obedience which overcomes all obstacles, and armed with the three great swords of Zeal, Duty and Purity."

Moving Apollos to A7

Turn Check. Using domain ability so undead affected are destroyed. Turning as a 2nd level cleric due to feat.
damage [roll0]

EDIT: Forgot to close roll tag.

Elder_Kin
2010-09-08, 04:09 AM
Turn Check Roll
[roll0]

Krull
2010-09-08, 10:04 AM
Scaeneloh moves forward
Battle Grid

{table]||A|B|C|
1|X|M?|M?|M?|X
2|X|M?|M?|M?|X
3|X||||X
4|X||||X
5|X||||X
6|X||||X
7|X||I|S|X
8|X||||X
9|X||||X
10|X||||X
11|X||||X
12|X||||X
13|X|||L|X
14|X||||X
15|X||||X
X|X|X|X|X|X[/table]

mucat
2010-09-08, 11:44 AM
Tarm ducks beneath the glowing shape and takes his place on the front line. He had thought at first it was a figment of his own brain, rattled by fever and days without sleep, but for a hallucination it holds its shape well. Most likely a spell effect, then, cast by one of the women in the alley behind them.

In any case, he assumes the glowing thing is meant to help. If this is to be a last stand, it is good to have people to stand with. He hopes he can help keep some of them alive this time.

Tarm will stand directly under Ill if there is room, otherwise one square ahead of the wisp. He will ready an attack on the first undead to come in range of his club.

When the time comes, here are the rolls.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

EDIT: Oops, that should have been 1d10+6 on the damage; forgot to adjust for a two-handed weapon. Shouldn't matter in any case, unless these are especially tough skeletons.

Edge of Dreams
2010-09-08, 12:11 PM
Kendra moves up behind the front line and takes a fighting stance.

Kendra moves to B8 and readies an Energy Ray for the first undead to come into her 25ft range.

Energy Ray, ranged touch attack, Fire damage type, Wild Surge for +1
Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1]
Wild Surge backlash check, hits me on a natural 1 [roll2]

Ajadea
2010-09-08, 02:07 PM
Everyone is placed!

Since Lucretia and Tarm have readied actions, turn goes to Scaeneloh.

Grid

{table]||A|B|C|
1|X|M?|M?|M?|X
2|X|M?|M?|M?|X
3|X||||X
4|X||||X
5|X||||X
6|X||T||X
7|X|A|I|S|X
8|X||K||X
9|X||||X
10|X||||X
11|X||||X
12|X||||X
13|X|||L|X
14|X||||X
15|X||||X
X|X|X|X|X|X[/table]

Krull
2010-09-08, 03:08 PM
Ok, I draw my sword ready to swing when the dead get near

Attack roll- [roll0]
Damage roll- [roll1]
crit roll- see OOC thread

Krull
2010-09-08, 03:10 PM
crit roll wont work:smallfurious:

Ajadea
2010-09-08, 07:05 PM
Ok, Scaeneloh readies an action

Apollos, your turn.

Elder_Kin
2010-09-09, 03:25 PM
Huh so I guess my last actions were A) Ignored B) Took place and did jack didly. If A) I'm using my domain ability on my turn check (leaving me with 6 for the day). If B) using feat (leaving me with four).

Turn check
[roll0]
Damage as a second level cleric due to feat.
[roll1]

Elder_Kin
2010-09-09, 03:34 PM
Apollos summons from within him the power of his god. The racial will, the heart, the soul of men. The burning light which guided his kind.

"Strike them down for all eternity LORD!"

Turn Results
Undead 3HD and lower are affected. 10HD of undead are destroyed

Ajadea
2010-09-09, 04:38 PM
Apollos' holy symbol glows, and you can hear a shower of objects clattering to the ground. A rusted spear bounces towards you, ending up about ten feet away from Tarm. A skeletal hand is still clenched around it.

@ Elder_Kin

Sorry! I didn't see it. Count it as ignored: you have 6 turn attempts left.

Combat hasn't ended, don't feel good about your victory yet!

Ill Dominion's turn.

sciencepanda
2010-09-09, 05:59 PM
Screeching with rage, Ill charges at the nearest zombie, his form crackling with electricity. He brushes against the target, discharging a great shock.

Electrical Touch Attack:
FFFFFFFF

Ajadea
2010-09-09, 08:05 PM
The will o'wisp floats ahead swiftly, it's light revealing 4 zombies and 2 more skeletons, as well as a pile of leather armor, a heavy wooden shield, and spears. Disintegrated zombie is scattered across the ground. One of the skeletons is a distorted, gangly, thing, wearing scale mail, wielding a falchion, and something seems to be rattling around in its ribcage.

The other is equally distorted, but wields only a quarterstaff and is clad in a rotting robe.

Ill's attack creates a large flash about three inches to the left of a zombie.

zombie initiative [roll0]

The gangly skeletons (G) move past the will o'wisp (provoking an AoO) and Tarm (provoking a second AoO).

Tarm's, Kendra's, and Lucretia's readied attack all activate on robe-gangly, who moved first.

Lucretia's blast soars past the robed skeleton's skull, but Kendra's ray of flame burns the tattered robe clean off and chars several of the ribs. Tarm's blow connects solidly with the skeleton's chest, snapping tarnished and burnt ribs into tiny pieces. The skeleton takes 19 damage. It's still up and fighting, despite the fact it's largely ribless, and a good portion of it's pelvis is broken off.

It attacks Tarm, [roll1], and misses completely. deals [roll2] damage.

Sword-gangly attacks Scaeneloh, [roll3] and also misses. dealing [roll4] damage. Scaeneloh hits it with his axe, and you can hear the sound of crunching bone. Sword-Gangly takes 2 damage.

The zombies shuffle towards Ill Dominion. The one that was already there attacks the will o'wisp, but is deflected by some unknown force surrounding the glowing ball of flesh (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9325830#post9325830).

{table]|A|B|C|D|E|F|G
1|||||||||
2||||||||
3||Z|Z|Z||||
4|X|X|I||Z|X|X|X
5||X||||X
6||X||||X
7||X||||X
8||X|GQ|||X
9||X||T|GA|X
10||X|A||S|X
11||X||K||X
12||X||||X
13||X||||X
14||X||||X
15||X||||X
16||X|||L|X
17||X||||X
18||X||||X
X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X[/table]

New Initiative
Zombies (Z)
Apollos (A)
Ill Dominion (I)
Lucretia (L)
Kendra (K)
Tarm (T)
Gangly Quarterstaff Skeleton (GQ)
Scaeneloh (S)
Gangly Armored Skeleton (GA)

Apollos's turn.

sciencepanda
2010-09-09, 11:14 PM
AoO:

Ajadea
2010-09-10, 12:10 AM
Are you atacking robe-skellie or armor-skellie?

sciencepanda
2010-09-10, 01:03 AM
I'll go with the robe one.

Ajadea
2010-09-10, 01:19 AM
Ok. It doesn't appear to have an effect on the skeleton.

Elder_Kin
2010-09-10, 01:44 AM
So calling dibs on that heavy shield. Lets see if that scale mail shall be mine!

Right so using the feat now. Deducting two turn attempts

Turn Check
[roll0]

Turn Damage
[roll1]

Elder_Kin
2010-09-10, 01:48 AM
Damn that would have been nice damage... No undead affected :(

His voice booming, his faith swelled, Apollos cries out yet again.

"Heaven and earth I hold as witness today. Emperor of Man, give me strength against these foul creatures!!!"

The light dies down and none of the unliving are gone. Frustrated he prepares his final attempt.

Sinfonian
2010-09-12, 12:59 AM
((I understand that this will take place after Ill Dominion's turn, but I thought that while I had computer access that I'd take the opportunity to at least say what'd happen on my upcoming turn.))

Lucretia will advance along the wall to E12 and aim another Eldritch Blast, this time targeting the Gangly Armored Skeleton.

Now gaining the benefits of Point-blank Shot.
Ranged Touch Attack [roll0]
If hit, [roll1] damage.

Ajadea
2010-09-13, 02:22 PM
Poke! Ill Dominion's Turn!

sciencepanda
2010-09-13, 03:33 PM
With a snarl, Ill changes targets, this time aiming to electrocute the nearest armored zombie.

Edge of Dreams
2010-09-13, 04:09 PM
Kendra moves forward and swings her morningstar at the armored skeleton.

Move forward one square.

Ajadea
2010-09-13, 10:36 PM
Ill Dominion shocks the zombie, but the electricity has no effect. Kendra's mace bounces harmlessly off the skeleton's scale mail as Lucretia's blast of energy hits square on the shoulder of the skeleton. Bits of bone fall out through the pelvis as the skeleton jerks backwards.

{table]|A|B|C|D|E|F|G
1|||||||||
2||||||||
3||Z|Z|Z||||
4|X|X|I||Z|X|X|X
5||X||||X
6||X||||X
7||X||||X
8||X|GQ|||X
9||X||T|GA|X
10||X|A||S|X
11||X||K||X
12||X|||L|X
13||X||||X
14||X||||X
15||X||||X
16||X||||X
17||X||||X
18||X||||X
X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X[/table]

Tarm's turn.

mucat
2010-09-14, 02:25 PM
Fighting in grim silence, Tarm presses his attack on the robed skeleton, bringing his club around in a two-handed blow meant to shatter ribs and vertebrae.

Five-foot step north to D8.

Attacking gangly robed skeleton; Power Attack for -1 to hit, +2 damage.

If the skeleton drops, he will use Cleave to attack the armored gangly skeleton as well:
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Ajadea
2010-09-14, 04:29 PM
Tarm misses by a hair, as the robed skeleton whips around, aiming to hit Tarm in return. [roll0] [roll1] It's quarterstaff slams into the paladin. Tarm takes 7 damage, Scaeneloh's turn.

Krull
2010-09-15, 09:19 AM
Scaeneloh swings his longsword at the armoured skele
attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Ajadea
2010-09-15, 12:42 PM
Scaeneloh's longsword bounces off the skeleton's scale mail, and the skeleton swings at the fighter with his falchion, [roll0] [roll1] It's blow is deflected by Scaeneloh's shield. The zombies flail at Ill Dominion except for the one still shuffling forwards, but again, they are deflected.

Apollos's turn.

{table]|A|B|C|D|E|F|G
1|||||||||
2||||||||
3||Z|Z|Z||||
4|X|X|I|Z||X|X|X
5||X||||X
6||X||||X
7||X||||X
8||X|GQ|||X
9||X||T|GA|X
10||X|A||S|X
11||X||K||X
12||X|||L|X
13||X||||X
14||X||||X
15||X||||X
16||X||||X
17||X||||X
18||X||||X
X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X[/table]

Elder_Kin
2010-09-15, 11:15 PM
Good grief, what kind of undead are these?

Alright this had better kill these bastards Turn check [roll0]

Damage [roll1]

Elder_Kin
2010-09-15, 11:21 PM
Yeah baby! With two turns to spare for the day (EDIT: If it wasn't stated I'm still using that feat. With the way these things won't die I'm not seeing any other way to deal with them). Undead of 5HD or less affected. Total undead affected = 18HD. If they are 60ft or closer they go bye bye :smallcool:

The race of men must not fall! Apollos remarks to himself at the valiant effort of those about him.

"NOR SHALL WE!" his voice booming, his symbol nearly blinding all in the hallway. "FOR I SHALL KNOW NO FEAR. I SHALL KNOW NO DEFEAT! I STAND STEADFAST IN YOUR NAME!"

Sinfonian
2010-09-16, 02:08 AM
Lucretia blinks as (presumably) several undead are turned to dust by the human's power. She looks down at the man who just evaporated the undead and says:

"I sure hope you can do that all day. With these deadies, it's about the long-distance, not the short sprint. There are always more."

((Edit: I meant to do some kind of Knowledge: religion check, but accidentally screwed it up when correcting "Reliigon". Only after the fact did I remember that I didn't even have the skill trained on this character anyway. My mistake.))

Ajadea
2010-09-16, 10:13 AM
Every last undead falls to the ground, shattering on impact as the holy light touches them. The zombies are dust, but the skeletons held their shape somewhat better. An armbone, some tiny bits of bone, and a skull are all that remain of one, while the other is a shattered thigh in a pile of dust.

(You guys are aware that undead have something known as DR, right?)

sciencepanda
2010-09-16, 12:03 PM
With relief, Ill dives upon the remains of the skeleton and begins to steadily leach the matter into his own geometry.

"Finally!" he shrieks, "Finally!"

Elder_Kin
2010-09-16, 01:46 PM
Beads of sweat drip down Apollos's face. The effort to destroy all the undead was immense. His faith was bolstered but his body was tired. Adrenaline and lack of food had done it's work.

He ignores the praise from the others. "Quickly, let us divide this loot up amongst ourselves. We are ill-equipped as we are. There is no time to waste. The longer we sit, the longer we are at risk of being attacked again"

mucat
2010-09-16, 02:00 PM
The red-haired man stares for a moment at the bones dissolving into the hungry ball of light, clearly unsure whether it exists at all. He is tall and appears strong, but on the verge of exhaustion. Mud cakes his hair and his armor, as though he has spent days in a swamp, and his face is gaunt with hunger or sickness.

He does not know what the glowing being it or what it is doing, but he does not gawk at it for long. There have always been things he does not understand, and until recently there were others who he could trust to understand these things, just as they trusted in his strength.

Now, if they are not all more fever dreams, he is among other living folk again. The women both use magic, and one of the men speaks to gods. So the glowing thing is their domain; he will concentrate on what he does understand.

He tries to shakes some life back into the arm that took the impact of the skeleton's staff, then renews his grip on the wooden club. His eyes scan the roofs and eaves of the ruined buildings around the, then return to the mouth of the alleyway. The dead are sometimes clever, and these could have been a diversionary wave before the main attack.

The priest, if that is what he is, is speaking of claiming the enemies' weapons and gears. "If the sword is not beyond repair," the red-haired man answers, "I can put it to use." It seems he is forgetting something. Ah. "I'm called Tarm," he says. "It's good to hear living voices again."

Ajadea
2010-09-16, 02:16 PM
After a bit of searching through the dust, you find two daggers, a longspear, two spears, a suit of studded leather armor, a suit of leather armor, a heavy wooden shield, a bandolier with five map cases attached to it, and two waterskins, one of which has a hole in it, in addition to the quarterstaff, big curved sword, and scale mail.

Krull
2010-09-17, 11:50 AM
If no-body minds, I will take the scale mail and nothing else, its all I want.

Sinfonian
2010-09-17, 11:58 AM
"I haven't spoken with other breathers for...months, I think. There aren't that many left of any sort, far as I can tell. As I said before, now that we've beaten the deadies back, we can have a brief respite. I for one will be thankful to not have to try to have an eye and ear on everything all at once."

Elder_Kin
2010-09-17, 03:16 PM
Apollos hefts the wooden shield and begins removing his leather armor, replacing it with the studded leather one left by one of the undead. It's previous owners stench was still apparent.

He then moves to the untainted water skin, dumping it's contents and refilling it with magically created water. Then grabbing the maps he slings them across his back, his scavenging complete.

"Any of you need healing now is the time to get it. I sincerely suggest that we leave this death trap immediately."

Before anyone answers he begins to pour over the maps trying to decipher where he and the others are. "Skill with charts would be most appreciated if any of you posses it."

mucat
2010-09-17, 03:36 PM
Tarm does not even glance toward the charts. Maps were another mystery he had always been glad to leave to Joanna and Samul. He knew that they represented the land, as Kita's drawings could represent a person...but beyond that, the details were fuzzy to him. Maps certainly didn't look like drawings of the landscape.

Instead he steps a safe distance from the others to give the falchion a few trial swings. The blade is well balanced -- better than anything he'd expected to recover from the walking dead -- but his arm is beginning to stiffen from the staff blow.

Lowering the sword, he gives his arm an experimental swing through a full circle of motion, then winces. Approaching the loud priest, he states, "If no one else needs it more, I would be of more use with my arm at full strength."

Edge of Dreams
2010-09-17, 06:32 PM
My name is Kendra. She sighs, I'm something of a starless wanderer, as the saying goes. She looks around at the faces of her new companions, then the scattering of weapons and armor. There's nothing here I need. We should keep moving, as soon as we can.

sciencepanda
2010-09-17, 09:50 PM
Ill floats his way over towards the others and addressing them in his loud blasting voice,

"I originate from the Swamp of Ill Dominion, so that is what you may refer to me by."

He bobs his shape at Kendra, stating, "I agree. This place is useless to us. We must move further."

Ajadea
2010-09-17, 10:38 PM
As you take out the scrolls from the case, you realize only tone is anything remotely resembling a map. There are two crumpled pages of slightly smeared writing on old parchment as well, nearly illegible. The parchment is heavily ripped and stained, more so than the maps. The fifth container is empty.

The map shows the area, including the way to the coast, Ill Dominion's swamp, and the former capital city, though none of these places are shown on the map. Several places are marked with dark blue ink, seemingly at random. Of note is the river this town borders, which could take you to three different dark blue ink marked locations.

The last parchment shows a web of multicolored lines, irregular circles, and tiny, slanted writing, many nigh-identical, flowing characters crammed close together and interspersed with more angular writing of equal illegibility, some sort of repeated wavy line writing, some sort of Common gibberish, and five sigils that hurt your eyes when you even glance at them. One of the sigils says, in good old-fashioned Common: Shattered. All breaks, all Ends.

Lucretia

It's like some sort of really badly mangled Elven/Halfing. Really, really, mangled. Horrible grammar, the interspersed extra languages, etcetera. One of the circles is a Crystal something-or-other, another is the something of the Masked Lady, a third is the "blahblahblah" Citadel, one of the sigils is marked with something akin to "really *%##-up $@^! happens here", a second sigil says ""gibberish" the land awaken"gibberish" world of those who will not "blah"", and one of the passageways is a Holy-something-of-The Something-Someone. Only one circle shows it's true meaning: City of the Fallen Stars. Home, if you remember correctly, of the drow. The whole thing is also a map, but a map to what?

Apollos

It's like some sort of really badly mangled Celestial. Really, really, mangled. Horrible grammar, the interspersed extra languages, etcetera. One of the circles is a something-or-other Cavern, another is the Moon-Turn-Something-Something, one of the sigils is marked with "Eternal Curse", another sigil is ""ugly angular writing" closes, the phoenix rises once more to-"common/angular gibberish" die" and one of the passageways is a Something-Hall-of-The Blessed-Someone. The whole thing is also a map, but a map to what?

Scaeneloh

It's like some sort of really badly mangled Dwarven/Elven mix. Really, really, mangled. Horrible grammar, the interspersed extra language, etcetera. One of the circles is the Something-Mirror-Something, a second is the Temple Something, one of the sigils is marked with "When the chosen of 'something something' and the stars once more walk the earth, the circle "illegible flowing writing" "cleanse the" "crud"", and one of the passageways is a "Holy Illegible-flowing-writing" of the "Insert translation"-Ones. Only one circle shows it's true meaning: City of the Fallen Stars. Wherever that is. Whatever that is. The whole thing is also a map, but a map to what?

Sinfonian
2010-09-18, 12:33 AM
Agitated by the nature of the writing presented, Lucretia recoils before examining the items closer.
"My eyes! Whoever wrote this is both a certifiable genius and a madman! Who encodes things like this? I can tell at least 3 discernible languages, not counting the ones I can't read. I can't really tell too much about what's going on with the purpose of this thing. Who in all the hells makes this kind of thing, really?"

She points to one circle on the parchment.

"That, in particular, is sure to mean nothing but trouble. That's the City of Fallen Stars. Controlled by the drow, or at least it used to be."

Lucretia will take another look at the empty container, to see if it may hold any hidden tricks or perhaps a key to understanding the jumbled mess found in the rest.

Search check [roll0]

Sinfonian
2010-09-18, 12:41 AM
After having been distracted by the parchments, Lucretia will look at the geometric formation of light and remark,

"Swamp of Ill Dominion? I think I'll just call you SID, much shorter. I am Lucretia, of..." She breaks off, realizing that it not only no longer mattered, but that it wasn't particularly important at the moment. She quickly puts that aside and quizzically examines the object of her gaze.

"Also, I mean no offense, but what are you? I don't think I've ever seen your kind before."

Krull
2010-09-18, 04:21 AM
What are these Drow you speak of? I have never heard of them, but I agree its strange that they write in so many languages. I could only understand two of them myself! The only bit I could decifer was this City of fallen stars.
while he was speaking he swapped his hide for the scale mail

Elder_Kin
2010-09-18, 12:47 PM
Using cure light wounds burning a prepped shield of faith.
[roll0]
Done donning his armor, Apollos walks over to Tarm. Placing his hands on the man he utters a few words. A faint glow emanates from his palms and Tarm feels better instantly. "You're welcome friend. May the Emperor protect you."

Turning to the elf Apollos says "Perhaps you can help with this Drow thing. Do you know them non-man? Some of this parchment I can not read. Other's is in the language of the gods."

Sinfonian
2010-09-18, 02:56 PM
DM:
What might this character know about drow?
Knowlege check (untrained) [roll0]. I imagine something basic, even if it only comes down to just "dark elves".

Ajadea
2010-09-18, 04:47 PM
Lucretia

Drow are elves corrupted by demons. They look like color-swapped elves, with pale hair and pitch-black skin. Their eyes can be a variety of colors, from yellow to blood-red to pale gray. They are sadistic, cruel, and self-destructive, and possess some limited magical abilities drawn from their demonic pact.

And there is nothing in the empty container.

mucat
2010-09-18, 06:03 PM
Tarm tests his arm again. Its range of motion is unimpeded this time, the deep bruises a memory. He thanks the priest warmly, though he is uncertain who the Emporer is. It must be the god this priest speaks to; Samus had taught him to speak with Pelor, but had said there were others.

"Lucretia," he offers helpfully when Apollos addresses the long-eared woman as "not-man". "That's her name, I mean." He glances toward the woman. "Did I get it right?"

His look is still calm and open -- or as much so a fatigue and fever allow --and there is no rebuke evident in his words. Perhaps he did not grasp at all the insult implicit in Apollos's words to the woman; perhaps he chose not to understand it.

Sinfonian
2010-09-21, 03:58 AM
The elf nods her head to Tarm, adding a smile.

"Aye, that is my name." Without looking at the priest, she continues, "I do so like to her people call me by it, given that there are so few left to give voice to anything. We should probably move away from this place, we know deadies are already here. There's sure to be more! We can discuss these finds shortly, in a safer location than just in an alleyway. Any suggestions?"

sciencepanda
2010-09-21, 05:44 PM
Ill grunts, "We should try to find the point of origin of the moving dead. If something is causing it, we must put it to a stop. It disgusts me."

Krull
2010-09-22, 10:26 AM
Yes. we should stop the dead. we wont be able to fight them forever, and eventually they will overpower us.
By the way, my name is Scaeneloh.

Elder_Kin
2010-09-22, 12:40 PM
Is there any way to orient the map upon arriving at the river? Shape of the terrain to match the direction on the map. I don't want to call out, north, south, east or west without actually knowing where we are. Any relevant checks to determine what the splotches mean?

"Names," Apollos says to all, but with his eye on the she elf "are from where I come from to be shared amongst those who have earned their use. I am no so willing to bear the script of my soul with those I am so unfamiliar with, who may die at any moment and bear my name to dark gods upon death. And MOST especially a non man. You may call me Grey if you wish to refer to me specifically."

Pouring over the maps again. "Now these roving bands of undead. I do not suggest we try and encounter anymore. We are weary and will be wearier still without a place to rest. The river seems to run to these locations. No doubt small towns. Perhaps survivors, perhaps not. No doubt they will have fewer undead than the capital though supplies and rest we would undoubtedly find there. I highly suggest going there before we romp of hunting the unliving. We are surviving right now. Fighting is not in our interests"

Sinfonian
2010-09-22, 10:28 PM
"First, as Kendra and I have both said, we need to get out of this city quickly. We can decide where to go next while we're getting this hole behind us. There's likely to be more on their way. Let's head toward the river for now, and figure out where to go from there.

Second, I think that finding an end to this would be good objective. I've spent enough time running away that it's time to hit them back. Even if that's out of reach for us, it'll be nice to have some company for a while."

She looks around at everyone but the cleric, before turning to face him fully,

"Finally, consider yourself warned here and now: your bigotry will help no one. If you refer to me as 'non-man' but three more times, you shall regret it."

She then changes languages to Draconic, still looking at him:
"I will have no problem seeing to it that you become one of the shambling dead yourself. I swear it."

Lucretia walks over to the dusted deadies and picks up one of the daggers and the longspear that was left behind. She stows both and walks to the top of the nearest wall to see the shortest way out of town.

Ajadea
2010-09-22, 10:53 PM
Lucretia

Heading straight to your right will take you there, but there's definitely something weird in the streets. It's glowing faintly, with light like that of the moon reflected on still waters. Circumventing said glow would require going quite a few streets down and in general take a lot more time. But deadies are all you'd have to fight.

Apollos

There's a bridge you could theoretically use to locate yourself. The town is to the west of the river, so going to the left of the bridge would take you north, and right of the bridge would take you south. Heading towards the forest and mountains would take you west, and east is over the bridge which may or may not still exist.

Sinfonian
2010-09-26, 01:58 PM
Lucretia climbs down from the wall and relays her findings to the rest of the people in the alley:

"We can leave the long way, or we can go the short way. Long way looks safer, but that gives time for that to change. Short way looks weirder, no telling what's really that way."

mucat
2010-09-27, 12:30 AM
Tarm stares at the man called Grey, wondering if this is some joke at his own expense. His mind is simple, and he acknowledges that freely. 'Simple' is a different thing from 'stupid'...but still, he could be missing the Godspeaker's jest.

But the women seem to have quicker minds than his -- as has every woman he knew before, all four of them, so Tarm simply assumes this is the way of things -- and Lucretia does not seem amused either, so Tarm assumed for the moment that the Godspeaker means what he says about names. Yet he cannot be mad, or the gods would choose him to speak to. Perhaps some gods are mad? That would explain why the Old World died...

"Should I die here," he tells Grey after some consideration, "I give my word that your name is not one I will remember." He turns to the others. "Lucretia, Kendra, Sceneloh" -- he stumbles over that third name, but pauses even longer over the next -- "SID? I'm proud to know all of you."

He still makes no move to decipher the maps, but whichever way the others decide to move, he stands ready to help clear the way.

Elder_Kin
2010-09-28, 02:21 PM
What is the orientation of the dots on the map? South, north, east, west? Is there one in the woods?

Also knowledge check for the capitols name. [roll0]
Apollos simply shakes his head at the she elf. The sounds she makes sound harsh and he does not recognize them. No doubt they were foul though. And they wonder why I do not associate with them.

He takes heed to the mans words. Simple, direct, weighted. Such were the words of true men.

"Well spoken. No need for violence. We shall take the long way out of here. To one of these places. Preferably this one" pointing at the dark blue dots and one through the woods. "Perhaps they are towns perhaps they have clues as to what is going on. I will not go to the capitol though. Undoubtedly there will be more dead there. I do not fear the trees. There may be some hills folk who have no succumbed...yet"

Ajadea
2010-09-28, 03:11 PM
Apollos

There are two dots in the woods, and the three blue dots on the river all are to the south. Most of the dots are on the eastern half of the map.

The capital is Daras Rixicar.

Krull
2010-09-29, 10:59 AM
I am willing to go either way, I do not mind

Sinfonian
2010-10-05, 01:59 PM
Lucretia looks down at the people in the alley and nods at the haughty human cleric. "I agree, let us take the route with fewer surprises in store."

With that, she starts off on way that she spotted out of town, for now avoiding the strange glow. She will continue to walk along the walls on the way out of town, generally maintaining a height of 10ft when possible, if necessary returning to that height after having to descend to cross streets.

Krull
2010-10-06, 11:00 AM
Scaeneloh follows.

Ajadea
2010-10-07, 12:36 AM
The streets are rather empty, all things considered. The battle drew most of the remaining undead in the area, it would seem. The muted moans in the distance and the uncanny silence are ever-present reminders of the danger that surrounds you. The shattered remains of weapons, armor, a rotting tapestry and a shredded rag doll, the houses, silent, empty, broken. All that remains of the lives of those that lived here once.

Halfway there, with little to no trouble. The wind begins to pick up, coming from the north, scattering dust and gravel across the dirt road. I need Listen and Spot checks.

Sinfonian
2010-10-07, 12:51 AM
Spot- [roll0]
Listen- [roll1]

Krull
2010-10-07, 12:07 PM
listen- [roll0]
spot- [roll1]

Elder_Kin
2010-10-10, 06:15 AM
Damn. And here I thought I'd get a rest... Sincerely apologize. Net has been out on my FOB. Back in the action
Listen [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

Ajadea
2010-10-10, 09:33 PM
Well, no sense in waiting longer...
Apollos, Lucretia

You hear a voice carried on the wind. It is high-pitched, breaking several times. It sings...something. You cannot make out the words.

Sinfonian
2010-10-10, 10:27 PM
Lucretia looks around as she hears the sound wafting on the air, saying softly to the group.

"Does anyone else hear that? I hear singing. It can't be good; there's nothing of note to sing about in this dump."

Krull
2010-10-11, 11:11 AM
Singing, are you sure? Scaeneloh whispers in case he is right

Elder_Kin
2010-10-11, 04:30 PM
Indeed. I too hear it. Foul voice.

Knowledge religion for undead known for singing [roll0]

Ajadea
2010-10-11, 07:57 PM
Apollos

Not that you're aware of.

Sinfonian
2010-10-12, 11:46 PM
Lucretia will halt and try to see if she can find what direction the sound is coming from, and if it sounds close at all. Or potentially heard what the song says.

Active Listen check:
[roll0]

Whether or not that provides any information, she will also attempt to see what she heard.

Active Spot check:
[roll1]

Ajadea
2010-10-12, 11:53 PM
Lucretia

You see nothing, and can hear the lyrics. It's pretty, but mostly meaningless to you. It feels a bit like Black Speech. Same power, but not destructive power.

Sinfonian
2010-10-21, 02:44 AM
Since no one else seems particularly worried by the sound she mentioned, Lucretia will continue along the path which she was already heading, now using her higher vantage point to try to keep a closer eye on what might be out there.

Krull
2010-10-21, 10:37 AM
Scaeneloh follows slowly and quietly
move silently [roll0]