PDA

View Full Version : Dragonmarked warforged

Paganboy28
2010-09-06, 01:11 PM
Is this feasible?

If so then what sort of Dragonmark would be appropriate and what powers would you assign it?

hotel_papa
2010-09-06, 01:16 PM
Not really. In Eberron, only the original base races from the PHB get dragonmarks, so Shifters, Changelings and Kalashtar don't get them either. Also, a dragonmark is an inherited genetic trait, so a being with no parents wouldn't get them anyways.

If you're looking to branch away from the canon a bit, the markings on every warforged forehead are called Goulah's (I think that's how it's spelled) a Dwarven word for truth. The symbol is unique to each forged, it showed up without the Cannith forges ever intending them to be there and it cannot be removed. There could be some Draconic Prophecy tie-in for that.

Honestly, Dragonmark feats are not very powerful options, mostly just there for flavor. (assuming you're making a warforged character)

Greenish
2010-09-06, 01:18 PM
Is this feasible?If you're the DM, you're free to ignore fluff limitations you don't like. I wouldn't go for it though.

Devils_Advocate
2010-09-06, 01:56 PM
I think that I read something about 4th Edition allowing any race to have any dragonmark. Although how they'd work that in with the Dragonmarked Houses I don't know. Anyway, I think that I read it back when 4E Eberron was still in development, so I dunno if they actually went through with that or even whether it was any more than just a rumor.

Lord Raziere
2010-09-06, 02:28 PM
oh yes, every race can have a dragonmark in 4E, there are actually four options:

1. the classic royal house bloodline thing. (your already in the house. have a soda)
2. just be the race with the dragonmark it matches up to. (the house will accept you in)
3. direct prophecy manifestation as in, the dragonmark just appears on anyone you like because the draconic prophecy willed it and everyone else can shut up.
(the houses will just not accept you in)
4. Aberrant dragonmark appears on anyone you like. (the houses declare "YOU NO VALID" and try to kill you)

AslanCross
2010-09-06, 05:45 PM
A 3.5 adventure, Eyes of the Lich Queen, had aberrant marks appearing on all the PCs regardless of race as a major plot point. My warforged got Burning Hands.

It's up to the DM in the end, but aberrant marks are likely to cause problems with dragonmarked houses.

cupkeyk
2010-09-07, 02:30 AM
In the novels the Dreaming Dark trilogy, Lei d'Cannith had the dragonmark of making but she was in fact a warforged, albeit one made of flesh and her dragonmark simply permenently painted on and not a real mark. ^_^ But nobody knew the difference until book three and she was already excoriated by then.

She got all the relevant powers though.

In 4e, creatures who have marks associated to a house, but are not members of the race of that house, are considered bearers of abberant marks. You'll be hunted down and possibly killed unless you get recruited by House Tarkanan. If you are an unrelated member of the race of that house, they will trace down your family tree, possibly falsifying data, to claim that you are some distant relative. It bad press to let the powers associated to a house go slipping around like that.

Its spelled Ghulra.

Uhhhh, warforged would do well with Marks of Sentinel, Warding and Making.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-09-07, 02:32 AM
In 3.5, it is possible to have a true dragonmark and take levels in the Renegade Master Maker prestige class, thereby becoming a warforged.

cupkeyk
2010-09-07, 02:44 AM
In 3.5, it is possible to have a true dragonmark and take levels in the Renegade Master Maker prestige class, thereby becoming a warforged.

Also possible in 4e but the paragon path is called self-forged.

Person_Man
2010-09-07, 09:22 AM
One of the few useful Dragonmarked feats is Dragonmark Smite: When you Smite a foe (any Smite, not just Smite Evil) you can expend an action point to make him Save or be Dazed for one round, and potentially Prone and unconsicious for one minute if your Dragonmarks are advanced enough. Dragonmarked pg 139.

There are a bunch of ways to get Smite attacks, with Killoren (Races of the Wild), Binder, and Ordained Champion being the best sources.