PDA

View Full Version : help with a warblade build?

Black_Zawisza
2010-09-06, 03:50 PM
My ability scores:

Str: 17
Dex: 17
Con: 16
Int: 14
Wis: 10
Cha: 8

I want to focus a bit more on damage-dealing than on tanking.

I lack anything more than a basic understanding of the Maneuver/Stance system. Could someone link me to a guide to it or explain it to me?

If you need any additional info, please ask. Any help you can give is much appreciated. :D

Reynard
2010-09-06, 03:58 PM
I'd advise swapping Int and Dex around, Better reflex saves and skill points are more useful than better AC.

Maneuvers are fairly simple, what do you need explaining?

Also, what level?

Greenish
2010-09-06, 04:00 PM
I'd advise swapping Int and Dex around, Better reflex saves and skill points are more useful than better AC.Swapping int and dex don't affect the warblade's reflex saves (except at lower levels, since the int to ref save caps at warblade level).

And yeah, maneuvers are pretty simple. Grab the diamond mind save replacers (at least for will save), then take what looks cool to you.

AslanCross
2010-09-06, 05:53 PM
Your character has three values determined by class level:

Maneuvers known: How many you actually know.
Maneuvers readied: How many you can use at any given time, these are "prepared" between encounters.
Stances known: Generally speaking, you can always change to a stance. There are certain conditions on some, but these mostly apply to Stone Dragon stances.

The warblade has the simplest recovery method. Between encounters, you select maneuvers to ready. (It takes 5 minutes of meditation and rehearsal as far as I can remember). Next encounter, those maneuvers you readied are usable. When you initiate a maneuver, it's considered expended until you recover it.

A warblade simply needs to perform a swift action to recover maneuvers followed by a standard action to attack or do nothing (a flourish with the weapon or kata of some kind). This refreshes all of the maneuvers you have readied. You can't use a maneuver in the same round you recover your maneuvers.

You cannot use maneuvers in the same action as you use special attacks such as grappling, bull rushing, or disarming, unless the maneuver calls for it. You can't trip or disarm with Adamantine Hurricane (as awesome as that might be), but you can certainly disarm with Disarming Strike (since that's what it calls for).

You can, however, use feats (Power Attack+Emerald Razor is a favorite of mine; very simple premise). There's also the really good Stormguard Warrior tac-feat in ToB.

Vemynal
2010-09-06, 07:19 PM
This is a very rare case where I'm gonna say: If you don't own the book buy it.

All the maneuvers in the game (To my knowledge) exist in that book, its also an interesting read with plenty of weapons/prestige class ideas.

The way I chose to understand it:

Warblade/Swordsage/Crusader are the melee parallel to spell casters.

Maneuvers are spells

Disciplines are spell schools

Certain stances are required to use certain maneuvers

There are 9th level maneuvers, just like you would have 9th level spells (though not as versatile or powerful)

You have to prepare at the beginning of your day for 10 minutes to rdy your known maneuvers (this works a lot like for a wizard. Select your "spells" you know for your level)

Make sure to read up on the specialized feats

I had a blast with a Lawful Good Pixie "Samurai"
1Warblade/ 1Samurai/ 9Warblade/ 1Monk/ 5Master of Nine