PDA

View Full Version : Solo campaigns?

randomhero00
2010-09-06, 05:37 PM
Have you played them? What do you think? How to make them fun?

When I tried one once I couldn't get over a feeling of ... silliness? Felt odd.

Tips? I'd like to get into one for convenience's sake. Since my main group has trouble getting together sometimes. I'd like to see tips from a player's perspective and a DMs.

awesomessake
2010-09-06, 05:42 PM
What do you mean by solo campaigns? You, and another player, or "me, myself, and I" kind of thing?

randomhero00
2010-09-06, 05:43 PM
deja vu

yes, a dm and a single player

WarKitty
2010-09-06, 05:47 PM
I did one as the first part of a campaign. I remember it being quite fun.* As a player it's best to pick a good all-around class. Higher stats than normal also help - as a DM I might use a better stat generating method than I would normally. I used a druid, which is probably the best class for a long-running campaign. Clerics are also good. Wizards and sorcerers are good for high levels when you don't run out of spell slots; melee is good for lower levels.

As a DM, just remember that there is no fallback if one player can't get through. Good stats are helpful, although a good DM should never present a situation the player can't solve. I would make trapfinding available to all classes, as it's really the only skill that's restricted like that.

*Also the DM is really really cute.

Nero24200
2010-09-06, 05:51 PM
One thing I've always felt is that the DM should cateer to specific party needs. In the case of a Solo game this is especially true. As someone who plays a fair bit of solo games (and is even planning one just now in fact) I recommend have alot of involvment with character creation. Learn everything you can about the character and just suit the challenges to them.

randomhero00
2010-09-06, 06:20 PM
How do we avoid the "its just two of us roleplaying in a dark room" feeling? Or is it just me?

Reynard
2010-09-06, 06:30 PM
Use lots of light, make it brighter?

Also, go on my son. :smallamused:

randomhero00
2010-09-06, 06:40 PM
hah, you know what I mean though right? It just feels awkward the times I've tried it. Do I just need to get used to it?

Reynard
2010-09-06, 06:48 PM
Yeah, it takes a while to get used to. Think of it as a collaborative story, and also try to clear the air about it. Ask the DM/player if they feel as odd about it as you do.

randomhero00
2010-09-06, 06:55 PM
should i try more of a free form style then? anyone have any experience with that?

Dralnu
2010-09-06, 07:10 PM
Solo campaign with a girl that you like = win.

WarKitty
2010-09-06, 07:16 PM

Works in all directions. :smallwink:

randomhero00
2010-09-06, 07:22 PM

If only...

Fitz10019
2010-09-07, 05:07 AM
Here's a column about solo campaigns, although the author prefers to refer them as 'duets' -- a term which does not exactly help the "two of us roleplaying in a dark room" feeling you mentioned.

http://www.rpg.net/columns/list-column.phtml?colname=duets

Halaster
2010-09-07, 05:14 AM
I've done it when I was fairly young and had trouble finding players. It helps if you hang out with the other person a lot and talk a lot outside the game. It then becomes a natural extension of what you do all the time. I played with my closest friend back then, we were both 15 or so and spent 'bout half our free time together, and only part of it RPing. Didn't feel funny.

The again we weren't really that deep in character at the time, although the campaign was serious enough, so perhaps it felt less awkward due to our style of play. So, it might help if the campaign were a little more "technical", i. e. oriented towards combat, puzzle solving and such, and less dialogue-heavy.