PDA

View Full Version : Scariest Roller Coaster

The_Admiral
2010-09-06, 05:50 PM
Exactly as the title says for me the Cyclone not because it was scary but because it was a 40 year old wreck with seemingly rotting wooden struts

Lord Loss
2010-09-06, 05:57 PM
The Ednor at Montreal's Laronde takes the cake in my opinion.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 06:15 PM
definitly dueling dragons

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Duelingdragonslayout.png

The_Admiral
2010-09-06, 06:30 PM
What the hell?Where do you start and where do you end

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 06:31 PM
it's two coasters. you choose a coaster to ride and you start at the rectangle

The_Admiral
2010-09-06, 06:35 PM
Now that sounds scary

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 06:37 PM
yeah, especially when the they cometogether so close that your shoes are less the a foot from the other coaster's rider's

Syka
2010-09-06, 06:44 PM
Pfft, Dueling Dragon's kinda sucked in my opinion (although Ice was better than Fire, IIRC). The Hulk, though...now that had my breath gone for a good long while. It's FAST. The Dragon's are just kinda...meh, in my opinion.

Although it could be because I hated all the disorienting twists. The Hulk is a good, straight up "Holy crap, my skin is going to fly off my skeleton" coaster. There is a reason it's got one of the longest waits in the entirety of IoA (and maybe even Universal, too).

That said, Space Mountain was the scariest one I've ever been on. Mostly because you can't see jack and you feel like your neck is going to snap at any moment. Even Dragons I came off of loving the feeling I had. All I got from Space Mountain was a super sore neck and a pissed off feeling that the substituted the true fear of a coaster for just fear of what you can't see.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-06, 06:46 PM
Pfft, Dueling Dragon's kinda sucked in my opinion (although Ice was better than Fire, IIRC). The Hulk, though...now that had my breath gone for a good long while. It's FAST. The Dragon's are just kinda...meh, in my opinion.

Although it could be because I hated all the disorienting twists. The Hulk is a good, straight up "Holy crap, my skin is going to fly off my skeleton" coaster. There is a reason it's got one of the longest waits in the entirety of IoA (and maybe even Universal, too).

That said, Space Mountain was the scariest one I've ever been on. Mostly because you can't see jack and you feel like your neck is going to snap at any moment. Even Dragons I came off of loving the feeling I had. All I got from Space Mountain was a super sore neck and a pissed off feeling that the substituted the true fear of a coaster for just fear of what you can't see.

oh jeeze, i remember hulk... 0-60 in the blink of an eye, corkscrew right out of the launch tube

Syka
2010-09-06, 06:48 PM
oh jeeze, i remember hulk... 0-60 in the blink of an eye, corkscrew right out of the launch tube

Which is what made me want to ride it again and again and again.

It was only the second coaster I'd ever been on (Ice being the first). Loved every terrifying second of it. It's so simple it's ridiculous, but incredible at the same time.

Isak
2010-09-06, 08:05 PM
Define "Scary".

Scary can have a lot of meanings. Close calls with the track twisting in on itself?

Huge amounts of inversions?

Height? Speed?

All of these factor into "Scary".

Fire and Ice, while intense, I wouldn't say are necessarily "Scary".

Space Mountain, on the other hand, seems absolutely terrifying. Do you want to know the trick? The dark plays tricks on you. While it seems like you're going 60mph at LEAST, you never go faster than 30. Not once in the entire ride. Yet, if you watch videos of it with the lights on; At times you only have a few feet of clearance between your skull, and the track above you.
http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p11646.jpg
(Excuse the poor quality)

At the same time; You have roller coasters such as Joker's Jinx, at Six Flags America (http://rcdb.com/544.htm). This ride literally launches you from 0 to 60 in seconds; straight into what an enthusiast would call the "Pasta Bowl". Twists and turns onto itself a dozen times or more, all while throwing you in every which direction.
http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p986.jpg

If close calls and such are your thing, similar to the aforementioned coaster, maybe Lightning Racer (http://rcdb.com/597.htm) at good ol' Hershey Park is your thing. A single coaster, that runs multiple trains that literally race each other along the ride. Not only are you getting close calls with the track; but with other trains, filled with other riders!
http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p4855.jpg

How about a roller coaster that would LITERALLY break ribs? Where having half the riders walk off the ride and literally vomit from its intensity was commonplace? A Genius (Or Madman) named Harry Traver was a Mastermind of designing the most intense roller coasters of his time. His most infamous was the Crystal Beach Cyclone. A ride so intense, they had a nurse stationed at the exit at ALL times. It isn't anywhere near the tallest or fastest, and the ride lasted only about 40 seconds... But in those 40 seconds, you never touched a foot of straight track. "Dance" tracks, extreme banking climbs and drops, Painful helix turns; It was a Monster of a ride.
http://www.jitterbuzz.com/furn/crystal_beach_cyclone.jpg

http://cec.chebucto.org/ClosPark/Images/Crystal/Cyclone/FullView.jpg

http://aphan.ca/images/cyclone1.jpg

You want my vote for scariest coaster? I say the Crystal Beach Cyclone. It takes something fierce to be as infamous as that coaster was; even almost 65 years after being torn down.

Syka
2010-09-06, 08:12 PM
Isak, even in the dark I could tell my head was waaayyy too close for comfort to unpleasantness. This is why I spent most of Space Mountain making myself as small as possible while trying to keep my neck still (it wasn't the speed, it was the hellish sharp turns).

And that Cyclone...whooo. That looks like a doozy. I like the look of the Joker, though.

Innis Cabal
2010-09-06, 08:39 PM
Surprised the Millenium Force hasn't been mentioned. It was the first coaster I ever rode, and the last.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-06, 08:42 PM
My parents never took me to amusement parks, even though I love thrill rides. So when I went to Six Flags for the first time this year.

Well, let's just say that the first roller coaster I ever went on was Kingda Ka. My thought process approximated: "Wait, what the hell am I doing on--AAAAAHHHHH!!!!"

"...Let's go again! Let's go again!"

Isak
2010-09-06, 08:46 PM
Surprised the Millenium Force hasn't been mentioned. It was the first coaster I ever rode, and the last.

But the thing about Millennium Force... Is that it's just TOO good to be scary. It's an excellent blend of speed, height, airtime, and G's. Sure, it's tall... But not the tallest. It's fast, but not the fastest. It's got excellent amounts of airtime, but has certainly been surpassed. Everything MF had originally going for it, has been beaten.

What it does have, is an AMAZING layout, EXCELLENT pacing for a ride of it's length, PERFECT energy management, so that it feels as if it never slows down for the entire ride.

Millennium is one of the best roller coasters on the planet. Nothing "Scary", like the ones I mentioned before. Just pure exhilaration. Adrenaline. Some would even say Perfection.

golentan
2010-09-06, 10:04 PM
But the thing about Millennium Force... Is that it's just TOO good to be scary. It's an excellent blend of speed, height, airtime, and G's. Sure, it's tall... But not the tallest. It's fast, but not the fastest. It's got excellent amounts of airtime, but has certainly been surpassed. Everything MF had originally going for it, has been beaten.

What it does have, is an AMAZING layout, EXCELLENT pacing for a ride of it's length, PERFECT energy management, so that it feels as if it never slows down for the entire ride.

Millennium is one of the best roller coasters on the planet. Nothing "Scary", like the ones I mentioned before. Just pure exhilaration. Adrenaline. Some would even say Perfection.

It's scary though because of the anticipation. I'll second that once it gets going, it's one of the best. But that climb is just a huge psych out. And then that drop. It's scary more because it's everything that scares me about coasters dialed up to 11: I don't get scared when the ride gets going, but beforehand...

Course, that elevated heart rate just turns into more exhilaration.

Eon
2010-09-06, 10:20 PM
I don't like roller coasters... so all of them! :smalltongue:

Some of those ... :smalleek:

druid91
2010-09-06, 10:37 PM
Most roller coasters I just sit their and enjoy the ride, Though the screaming people insist on making is annoying, I am usually not scared.

With The Grizzly however I compulsively duck my head at one part where I feel like I am tall enough to hit my face on the beam despite my knowledge that I am not the tallest person on the planet and they would probably not let me on if they thought I was going to behead myself.

So the Grizzly, Oddly enough this is the coaster my dad loves to take me on because it is the only one that gets a good reaction out of me.

Marnath
2010-09-06, 11:08 PM
My scariest ride is that little one with the pirate ship that swings back and forth. I don't know why, maybe it's the vertigo "OMG I'M GONNA FALL OUT OF THE BOAT!" part. I don't have trouble with the others.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-09-06, 11:15 PM

Indeed. Cedar Point is definitely the place to go to experience the best coasters in the world. With Magnum XL2000, Millennium Force, and Top Thrill Dragster all holding at one time the world record for tallest/fastest coaster (steel) and Mean Streak at one time held that record for wooden coasters. Not to mention Raptor is also an excellent inverted coaster (although I'm not really a huge fan of Mantis, but if you like coasters where you stand, it's decent).

darkjubs
2010-09-07, 12:44 AM
I would also like to add that the Mean Streak has the dubious honor (in my opinion) of being the most painful ride you will ever experience. Think about being punched in the kidneys for two and a half minutes and you have a rough idea of what riding it is like. And yet I still get talked into riding it every time I go there.

Alarra
2010-09-07, 12:50 AM
Batwing, because you're on your stomach for much of the ride and the ground seems to be rushing very very close to your face. It's awesome though.

skywalker
2010-09-07, 01:05 AM
Only scary coaster was the one I stretched to be tall enough to ride when I was about five years old. It had a serious impact on my young mind. Other than that, I can honestly say I've never been scared on a roller coaster, besides the fear of concussion I get from having my head tossed against the harness by some of them.

yeah, especially when the they cometogether so close that your shoes are less the a foot from the other coaster's rider's

Dude, you're not even nearly that close. They just make you think they are.

IMO, Hulk is a cruise ship compared to Rock'n'Roller Coaster. Like, Hulk is slow compared to the start of RnR.

Isak, even in the dark I could tell my head was waaayyy too close for comfort to unpleasantness. This is why I spent most of Space Mountain making myself as small as possible while trying to keep my neck still (it wasn't the speed, it was the hellish sharp turns).

How tall are you? Imagine being 6 feet. That ride is more unpleasant for me than any other, too.

I would also like to add that the Mean Streak has the dubious honor (in my opinion) of being the most painful ride you will ever experience. Think about being punched in the kidneys for two and a half minutes and you have a rough idea of what riding it is like. And yet I still get talked into riding it every time I go there.

Have you ever ridden "Ninja" at Six Flags over Georgia? That thing is like getting punched in the head for two and a half minutes.

Batwing, because you're on your stomach for much of the ride and the ground seems to be rushing very very close to your face. It's awesome though.

Also at Six Flags over Georgia, I got on the flying Superman coaster with my teacher, and as we were lifted into the "flying" position, he groaned "I'm not sure I want to see where I'm going..."

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-07, 05:02 PM
rock 'n roller coaster was the best dark ride ever

http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/attachments/secrets-wdw/122d1093145027-rock-n-roller-coaster-lights-rock_int_2.jpg

Dr.Epic
2010-09-08, 05:17 PM
Life is the scariest roller coaster. (It's a metaphor.)

Capt Spanner
2010-09-08, 05:55 PM
I'm absolutely terrified of heights. For me the most terrifying ride is Oblivion at Alton Towers (video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9nra_YyYeU)). When you get to the top, it stops you, staring what feels like hundreds of metres at the ground (in reality, it's 65' or 20m) and it feels like it holds you there for aaaages.

The least scary roller coaster is called 13, also at Alton Towers. It's supposed to be a psych out scary ride, but the preview videos in the queue, not to mention the TV ad campaign spoiled the scary part. The ride would have been far better if it were advertised as a roller coaster-meets haunted house affair, but it was a mediocre ride, followed by some slightly scary lighting, and then a short (unexpected) drop.

Laconic answer: Scariest roller coaster ever! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsN5MtKtWcg)

My scariest ride is that little one with the pirate ship that swings back and forth. I don't know why, maybe it's the vertigo "OMG I'M GONNA FALL OUT OF THE BOAT!" part. I don't have trouble with the others.

Sometimes the simple ones are the best.

Joran
2010-09-08, 08:25 PM
Any coaster where I see two technicians pointing at a key support and whispering back and forth. I saw that on my last trip to King's Dominion.

I also agree with the Grizzly; it was the scariest rollercoaster because it was so creaky and rickety. It also didn't help that it was shut down for about 15 minutes because they had to TIGHTEN THE SCREWS.

Danne
2010-09-08, 10:28 PM
No one's mentioned High Roller yet?

I mean, it wasn't very fast, and it didn't have the biggest drops, and it looked pretty tame if you just read the specs.

But it was on top of a freaking skyscraper. I love heights and I love roller coasters, but you put the two together and it was utterly horrifying. I couldn't stop shaking for ages after. :smalleek:

But then, I never did like Vegas in the first place, so maybe that's just me.

Thorcrest
2010-09-09, 11:41 AM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Titan at Six Flags over Texas. Not the scariest, but has one hell of a good drop!

Anyways, I'm not really afraid of roller coasters, but that 255' drop to start is a hell of a lot of fun. Just put in Titan Roller Coaster on google for more information, I'm too lazy to put a link to stuff up.

Isak
2010-09-09, 11:50 AM
No one's mentioned High Roller yet?

I mean, it wasn't very fast, and it didn't have the biggest drops, and it looked pretty tame if you just read the specs.

But it was on top of a freaking skyscraper. I love heights and I love roller coasters, but you put the two together and it was utterly horrifying. I couldn't stop shaking for ages after. :smalleek:

But then, I never did like Vegas in the first place, so maybe that's just me.

I had admittedly forgotten all about this one :smallredface:. Very interesting concept... Being... What? 1000 feet above the ground? It's a shame they closed it though :smallfrown:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Titan at Six Flags over Texas. Not the scariest, but has one hell of a good drop!

Anyways, I'm not really afraid of roller coasters, but that 255' drop to start is a hell of a lot of fun. Just put in Titan Roller Coaster on google for more information, I'm too lazy to put a link to stuff up.

Ahhhh... Titan. Wonderful ride from what I've heard. Beats up it's almost identical clone Goliath (Six Flags Magic Mountain, CA) because of it's extra helix (Which pulls upwards of 4 1/2-5G's :smalleek:)

Danne
2010-09-09, 12:02 PM
I had admittedly forgotten all about this one :smallredface:. Very interesting concept... Being... What? 1000 feet above the ground? It's a shame they closed it though :smallfrown:

More like 900, but yeah. Very High Up.

Castaras
2010-09-09, 01:59 PM
Gonna put another vote in for Oblivion at Alton Towers. I'm darned good with rollercoasters and thrill rides, and can come out of them going "Yep, that was cool. What we going on next?" My family can attest to the fact that when I came off Oblivion I was a wreck - shaking, eyes wide, thinking "NEVER AGAIN!"

Personally, I'm still not sure if I want to do it again. :smalltongue: Am happy to have done it though.

Kiren
2010-09-09, 02:12 PM
My parents never took me to amusement parks, even though I love thrill rides. So when I went to Six Flags for the first time this year.

Well, let's just say that the first roller coaster I ever went on was Kingda Ka. My thought process approximated: "Wait, what the hell am I doing on--AAAAAHHHHH!!!!"

"...Let's go again! Let's go again!"

Seconded that Kingda Ka is the scariest rollercoaster.

Tallest and fastest, best yet its only half an hour way from me!:smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2010-09-09, 02:24 PM
Scariest... now that's hard to pick. The Big Bad Wolf at Busch Gardens was up there, for me. Weaving in and out of those buildings was just intense.

Cedar Point's coasters are among the best, but I wouldn't really call most of them "scary." Awesome fun, an absolute joy to ride, and extremely intense. But you rarely get that visceral "OMG I'm gonna die!" feeling.

Gotta throw a shout-out to my hometown. The Ravine Flyer II at Waldameer (Erie, PA) is absolutely intense. Definitely a top 10 coaster. It really surprised me that a park as (relatively) small as Waldameer managed to pull off a ride that awesome. There were some scary moments as well, more owing to the fact that its a wooden coaster.

CrimsonAngel
2010-09-09, 03:10 PM
Any wooden ones.

Xyk
2010-09-09, 03:20 PM
Any wooden ones.

My first ever roller coaster was The Rattler (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattler_(roller_coaster)). It was a doozy. Really fast and shaky. I bruised my shoulder against my friend sitting next to me because it shook so much.

CrimsonAngel
2010-09-09, 03:23 PM
My first coaster was The Bullet. (http://www.boardwalkbullet.com/)

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-09, 08:27 PM
my first coaster was the Texas Giant (http://www.sixflags.com/overtexas/rides/TexasGiant.aspx)

dromer
2010-09-12, 04:31 PM
King Cobra and Firehawk from King's Island, but I haven't ridden many roller coasters.
Also, the roller coaster I got on (that I can remember) was Rockin' Roller Coaster. And before that I was terrified of roller coasters. (Which was pretty funny because my eyes opened about two inches when I saw the first car zoom off at 60.)

Linkavitch
2010-09-13, 09:28 PM
Rock N' Roller Coaster, While awesome, wasn't neccesarily "Scary".
MF, along with most coasters at CP, same thing.
And, looking at pics of Space Mountain make me agree that that one is prolly up there, but it makes me sad 'cuz it was closed when I went to DW.

Thajocoth
2010-09-13, 09:35 PM
The scariest roller coaster would be a half built roller coaster.

When I went to Islands of Adventure, all but two roller coasters were down for maintenance. One of those two was one side of the Dueling Dragons. I think the other was The Hulk. So I decided not to ride any roller coasters that day.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-09-13, 11:31 PM
Seconded that Kingda Ka is the scariest rollercoaster.

Tallest and fastest, best yet its only half an hour way from me!:smallbiggrin:

That is until Cedar Point decides it wants the record back and builds one taller and faster than that. Provided they can find the space for it of course.

Extra_Crispy
2010-09-14, 12:45 AM
Roller Coasters never scared me. I went through a faze of being scared of heights but did not realize how high I was when I was on a roller coaster so was not scared of them. A ferris wheel made me almost catatonic with fear, it was so bad that my cousin and sister had to pry my hands off the bar to make me get off the ride.

The scarest ride I was ever on though was a simple loop ride at a county fair. The cages settled over us and then they put this large pin in the top to hold the cage closed. The bar across your lap was connected to the cage so if the cage opened then there was nothing holding you into the seat. The coaster itself was just a loop, a big doughnut. The ride started we got to the point that we were almost upside down then I heard the breaks go and they stopped the ride. The controler walked up to the seats infront of me and put the pin in the persons cage, calmly walked away and restarted the ride. Sitting in the seat you could not see the pin but trust me I tried anyway possible to see if the pin on my cage was in. That ride scared the heck out of me.

Milskidasith
2010-09-14, 01:00 AM
I don't really get scared of roller coasters... I think I may have been scared of them a long time ago, but I don't see the point now. The only scary coasters are those that are up and down with maintenance while I am in the line, and even that is less "Oh god I'm going to die" and more "Oh god I'm going to be one of the unlucky people stuck on the ride for far longer than I should be."

Orzel
2010-09-14, 10:37 PM
Coasters were never scary to me. Wooden coasters are painful on my legs though.

The closest thing to a scary coaster is the time my vision darkened on the Intimidator 305 in King's Dominion. I was like "Why is everything getting dark?!"

Diva De
2010-09-15, 02:18 PM
Ah, coasters. I've been to Busch Gardens in Tampa, Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Florida, all the parks at Disney World, Six Flags over Georgia and Texas, and Carowinds. Not to mention a few smaller parks that probably no one has ever heard of. From those, I list my top 5, in no particular order:

1. Kumba, Busch Gardens - fast ride is fast. F-A-S-T. Like, eyelids flapping in the wind, cheeks billowing out fast. Rode it at night, which made it even better.
2. SheikRa, Busch Gardens (http://www.buschgardens.com/BGT/Explore/Rides.aspx?id=597) - scary. They hang you over the edge on that first drop for AGES. And it's fast, fun...yeah.
3. Hulk, Islands of Adventure - faaaaaaast, and the takeoff is unrivaled.
4. Rock'n' Roller Coaster, MGM - awesome dark coaster, fun, music is great and it keeps you guessing
5. Batman, Six Flags over Georgia - my first floorless coaster, this one will always have a special place in my heart. Also, it's freakin' BATMAN!