PDA

View Full Version : One Capstone to Rule Them All [3.5/P.E.A.C.H]

C.Penguin
2010-09-06, 06:44 PM
Once per encounter, you may choose one of the following three abilities to use.

-Move at 2 times (4x?) your land speed in a line, attacking every enemy you threaten along the way. You do not (do?) provoke AoOs while performing this maneuver
-Attack every enemy within 30 (60?) feet of you once as a standard (Full round?) action.
-Attack one enemy you threaten as a standard (full-round) action that does not provoke AoOs. If the attack hits, it is considered a critical threat and deals max damage. The opponent must make a fort save or die (DC 10+1/2 class level+x).

The last one is the one that I'm really not sure on. So, playground, is this capstone worthy or does it need some work?

Kinsmarck
2010-09-06, 06:53 PM
Whoa there, back up, cowboy. We need much more information to properly critique the power and/or balance of these abilities. What type of class is this for? Is it a replacement capstone for an existing class? Are these options to be substituted in for any class? What other abilities does whatever class these capstones are for grant?

On to what little input I can give as yet: These don't actually feel like capstones to me. More like, they feel like martial maneuvers ala Tome of Battle. High-level maneuvers, yes, say levels 7-9, but maneuvers all the same. If you're unfamiliar with T.o.B., I suggest looking into it, as it seems to be the sort of thing you're after with this.

C.Penguin
2010-09-06, 07:24 PM
What type of class is this for?

A totally, from-the-ground-up homebrewed warrior type class akin to the fighter or the OA samurai (NOT tome of battle), which I am using in an upcoming campaign. I want to know what the playground thinks before I present it to my DM for review.

Is it a replacement capstone for an existing class?

...Are these options to be substituted in for any class?

No, this is a totally separate ability. I'm sort of operating under the Pathfinder logic of "give them a reason to take 20 levels in this class instead of dipping out to a PrC ASAP, so I want something that kicks.

What other abilities does whatever class these capstones are for grant?

This is the only "maneuver-type" ability. Everything else is either passive buffs (cha to saves, AC, and attack/damage, gained at different levels, immunity to fear, the ability to take a 10-ft step instead of a 5-ft one), or bonus feats.

On to what little input I can give as yet: These don't actually feel like capstones to me. More like, they feel like martial maneuvers ala Tome of Battle. High-level maneuvers, yes, say levels 7-9, but maneuvers all the same. If you're unfamiliar with T.o.B., I suggest looking into it, as it seems to be the sort of thing you're after with this.

Yeah I'm aware of ToB and while I suppose I see how they are similar, it's definitely NOT something I want to place upon an entire class (I and, as far as I know, the DM, are unfamiliar with the system but I wanted one cool ability a la ToB without actually learning the whole system (something I've tried twice and not really enjoyed either time). Also if it is, as you say, not capstone material (even though I thought 9th level maneuvers WERE capstone-type things), then what would you suggest I do alternatively?

Whoa there, back up, cowboy

<- Penguin, not cowboy :smallbiggrin: In all seriousness, I appreciate the help though.

Kinsmarck
2010-09-06, 07:43 PM
Alrighty, that gives me much more to work with. Without having the actual class table and level-by-level breakdown in front of me, I can only help so much (I would suggest posting your WIP of the class here in the Homebrew forum, as it does sound promising), but I'll give it my best two-cent shot.

Based on your description of the class leading up to these capstones, I'd say you're aiming for a class slightly higher-par than say, paladin or ranger. Reminds me, from your description, a little bit of a mix between Paladin and Barbarian, but I digress.

In terms of keeping up class consistency, I find myself shying away from your second capstone idea, as it doesn't feel so far like this is a very magic or supernatural-ability-heavy class, if it uses them at all. With that in mind, how would one justify a character's being able to attack in a full circle at that sort of range with (what I assume to be) whatever weapon they're wielding, from a dagger out to a spiked chain?

The first and third I'm all for, though, for a class of this power level, I'd say your kill-shot ability feels more like a capstone. Perhaps the line-attack could come as an ability a couple levels prior? With regard to the kill-shot's DC, I would keep it as is, using either the character's STR or DEX mod as the addition to the save.

C.Penguin
2010-09-06, 08:05 PM
With regard to the kill-shot's DC, I would keep it as is, using either the character's STR or DEX mod as the addition to the save.

What about if the DC was equal to the damage dealt or like 10+1/2 damage or something?

Andion Isurand
2010-09-06, 08:27 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040305a

this PrC allows you to throw a hammer in a 60 ft line, making one attack against each enemy along the way

albiet it is supernatural and the class requires the capability of casting 2nd level divine spells

Chambers
2010-09-07, 08:25 AM
A totally, from-the-ground-up homebrewed warrior type class akin to the fighter or the OA samurai (NOT tome of battle), which I am using in an upcoming campaign. I want to know what the playground thinks before I present it to my DM for review.

Samurai (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163793)? :smallsmile:

C.Penguin
2010-09-08, 12:05 AM
Samurai (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163793)? :smallsmile:

Oh man you are a hero, this was exactly the thread I was looking for when i sat down and started this but for some reason I could not find it. You are seriously my favorite person ever!!

Chambers
2010-09-08, 01:27 PM
Oh man you are a hero, this was exactly the thread I was looking for when i sat down and started this but for some reason I could not find it. You are seriously my favorite person ever!!

Thanks! :smallsmile: