PDA

View Full Version : Tower of High Sorcery

Exthalion
2010-09-06, 08:15 PM
I am currently playing in an epic campaign as a full caster. There is no epic magic. After the catcalls and the like die down, I have a couple of questions:

Are their any rules for creating a Tower of High Sorcery and what in all do they do? This is not a Dragonlance campaign, but Krynn does exist if I want to go to it. Presumably I can get the information if it exists.

Does a Tower have to be stationary? If not I was planning on putting it on a floating Netherese enclave. I am currently in Fearun bargaining with Mystra for a copy of the Nether Scrolls and access to true 10+th level spells.

Are there any rules besides the spell that flips over the mountain top? Like how to control it or how I would go about plane shifting it?

Sindri
2010-09-06, 08:37 PM
A single caster can't make a Tower of High Sorcery; at the very least you need three epic mages, one from each of the orders, and divine intervention.

The spells to create a flying citadel are probably standard epic spells; take whichever seeds seem appropriate to you.

Anyway, the appropriately named Towers of High Sorcery has all the rules on the effects of the towers, their groves, and your status as Master of the Tower.

Exthalion
2010-09-06, 08:39 PM
There is no epic magic and I am not in the order of high sorcery.

Khatoblepas
2010-09-06, 08:43 PM
Baldur's Gate introduced some 10th level spells:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/10th-level_spell_%28Throne_of_Bhaal%29

There's also Create Volcano:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mavin%27s_Create_Volcano

And Earthfast, a spell for stopping cave ins:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mavin%27s_Earthfast

I can't think of any 11th level spells at this time, but:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Karsus%27s_avatar
Karsus' Avatar is about the power level of 12th level spells. Lots of rare, valuable material components, and you can take control of the powers of a God. Mystra will probably disallow you access to 12th level spells - it's not in her best interest to give them to some upstart mage.

For rules on how to build a Tower of High Sorcery without epic magic, you're best off looking up the 2e DL setting.

Exthalion
2010-09-06, 09:01 PM
Thank you those are most helpful.

Would you happen to know which 2nd books to look for?

Sindri
2010-09-06, 09:06 PM
Let's see... for a non-epic flying citadel:
Levitate will lift 100lb/level. Make a ridiculous number of magic traps which cast levitate every few rounds. For propulsion, you could do a lot of Gust of Wind spells, make some constructs with fly speeds to push, or do magic traps with Telekinesis (it'll take 4x as many as the levitates though, and each one is a lot more expensive).

Or you could build a whole lot of flying constructs and have them lift it.

Or you could break out the DragonMech rules and design a flying, magic powered, city-sized, limbless mech.

Flickerdart
2010-09-06, 09:09 PM
Build a really big The Cube. After all, every self-respecting epic stronghold is impenetrable and indestructible.

Exthalion
2010-09-06, 11:02 PM
Thank you all. Does anyone know specific books I should be looking for?

Andion Isurand
2010-09-06, 11:20 PM
Levitate, Greater
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Target: You or one willing creature or one object (total weight up to 1,000 lb./level)

As levitate, except as noted above.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20040225a

dgnslyr
2010-09-07, 12:26 AM
I wonder if you can build a castle, make it a construct and awaken it...

Maximize awaken for more funsies.

arguskos
2010-09-07, 12:28 AM
Stronghold Builder's Guide has a lot of building rules that you may find useful. :smallwink:

Lysander
2010-09-07, 12:38 AM
There's always that old trick of building it inside the skeleton of a colossal undead creature.

hamlet
2010-09-07, 07:44 AM
Thank you all. Does anyone know specific books I should be looking for?

You shouldn't be looking for any specific books in particular, really, especially not from the pre-3.x days. The towers were not, IIRC, specifically detailed except, sort of, for the tower at Palanthus, and that only vaguely. Even the abilities of the groves were only vaguely mentioned and left very much up to interpretation.

If you're looking for a specific tower of High Sorcery, then you'll have to grab something from the 3.x days as I think Weiss et al mapped one out and put together some rules.

If, however, you just want the concept, then it really is something to let your imagination fly about. For inspiration, I recommend taking a look at the maps of the High Clerist's Tower in the original Dragon Lance modules. While it was a knights' stronghold, it could be easily converted into a magical hold with few modifications.

FelixG
2010-09-07, 09:20 AM
Stronghold Builders Guidebook

That should give you all you need hopefully?

urbanpirate
2010-09-07, 11:11 AM
I wonder if you can build a castle, make it a construct and awaken it...

Maximize awaken for more funsies.

yes, yes you can.

hamlet
2010-09-07, 11:41 AM
yes, yes you can.

Yes, and then your architecture gets cranky when it realizes that it's old, out of date, and dusty, using its powers to compel occupants to perform menial chores before it will permit egress.

BeholderSlayer
2010-09-07, 11:44 AM
Genesis. Use magic to create stone, earth, and whatever you need. Then use magic, again, to shape it into a tower. Sure, it's not a floating citadel, but in practice it's much, much better and easier to protect. A floating citadel would be easy to attack via flying (which everything should do in epic levels) from 360 degrees. A demiplane with the proper protections should be practically impossible to enter.

hamlet
2010-09-07, 12:31 PM
Genesis. Use magic to create stone, earth, and whatever you need. Then use magic, again, to shape it into a tower. Sure, it's not a floating citadel, but in practice it's much, much better and easier to protect. A floating citadel would be easy to attack via flying (which everything should do in epic levels) from 360 degrees. A demiplane with the proper protections should be practically impossible to enter.

Tower as demiplane is good. Demiplane with tower and fields, rivers, etc., to produce native food supply is better. That way you can really ride out just about any siege the mundane plebes might manage to mount.

BeholderSlayer
2010-09-07, 12:35 PM
Tower as demiplane is good. Demiplane with tower and fields, rivers, etc., to produce native food supply is better. That way you can really ride out just about any siege the mundane plebes might manage to mount.

Agreed, that's why I mentioned using creation magic to make this kind of stuff (though I'm glad you pointed out the water and fields, etc.)

Exthalion
2010-09-07, 07:21 PM
Far be it from me to not optimize, but when does the prestige and eminence of the most powerful magic user alive take precedent to more pragmatic concerns?

When does the the duty of those with knowledge to spread that knowledge in a responsible way out way the practical considerations of survival?

BeholderSlayer
2010-09-07, 07:31 PM
Far be it from me to not optimize, but when does the prestige and eminence of the most powerful magic user alive take precedent to more pragmatic concerns?

When does the the duty of those with knowledge to spread that knowledge in a responsible way out way the practical considerations of survival?

I don't think the two are inseparable. As the most powerful magic user alive, you can and should know when new students aspire to join your academy, most likely before even they would know that they wish to join. Layer up in protection and go get them (or better yet, have a simulacrum or eidolon do it for you). Bring them to your demiplane, where they can study in safety.

In the meantime, make sure you place a Geas on each prospective student so they may not use the knowledge they gain to harm you.

In the world of D&D, you can never be too paranoid. Never.

dgnslyr
2010-09-08, 12:17 AM
Yes, and then your architecture gets cranky when it realizes that it's old, out of date, and dusty, using its powers to compel occupants to perform menial chores before it will permit egress.

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Alleran
2010-09-08, 12:41 AM
yes, yes you can.
How would you create a construct out of a castle? Or does it already count as a kind of construct?

I usually just create a Genius Loci and transplant a Spirit of the Land to my stronghold.

hamlet
2010-09-08, 07:42 AM
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do . . .

Chambers
2010-09-08, 01:25 PM
Don't know what exactly constitutes a Tower of High Sorcery...but why not steal one and transport it to your demiplane? :smallsmile: