PDA

View Full Version : Elan is...

QuickComment
2010-09-06, 08:25 PM
I just realized that Elan takes being a bard really seriously. While other bards will call upon lady luck from time to time, Elan has totally embraced what it means to leave one's life completely to chance; he is much more of a bard than most other bards. You could say that Elan is... Bard to the Bone.

Please don't hurt me.

Crisis21
2010-09-06, 08:44 PM
*Takes 5d8 pun damage* :smalltongue:

JoeSkull
2010-09-06, 09:57 PM
*Takes 5d8 pun damage* :smalltongue:

I failed my save :smallfrown:

Darthteej
2010-09-06, 11:08 PM
Enor: Puns are for girls(take 5d8 electricity damage)

sockmonkey
2010-09-06, 11:44 PM
5d8 bludgeoning damage from beating your head on the wall after hearing that pun rather...

TheBlackShadow
2010-09-07, 01:31 PM
I don't think I have enough hitpoints to survive that. :smalleek:

137beth
2010-09-07, 04:09 PM
Dang I hate the low will saves fighters get!

Anyways, he isn't really more bard that other bards, given that he is a multi-class bard, I would say he is less bard than a pure bard.

Crisis21
2010-09-07, 05:14 PM
Anyways, he isn't really more bard that other bards, given that he is a multi-class bard, I would say he is less bard than a pure bard.

It's not about ratio of class levels, its about Elan's entire attitude/philosophy in life. Elan's dad is clearly not a Bard, given what Nale said his father told him about the Bard class being underpowered in comic #50, but he has a good deal of bard-like traits nonetheless.

Conuly
2010-09-07, 06:21 PM
Really? You had to go there?

lost_my_NHL
2010-09-07, 06:40 PM
I must have an undead sense of humor, because that pun made a bad day a bit better. 5d8 hp healed.

Ajadea
2010-09-07, 06:44 PM
? I must be immune to pun damage, just like Enor. :smallbiggrin:

Crisis21
2010-09-07, 07:43 PM
I have decided to quantify pun damage for the good people of this thread.

There are two criteria for determining pun damage, how 'good' a pun it was (including how easy it was to get), and the reaction it produced.

The first is a scale of one to ten and determines number of dice, 1-3 being 'took a minute', 4-7 being your typical 'easy to get' pun, 8-10 being 'my respect for your intelligence just went up'.

The second is the die you roll. A d3 or d4 means the pun was a stretch, a d6 means it induced involuntary facial movement, a d8 means it induced involuntary vocalization (laugh, groan, etc.), a d10 means 'ow, my brain'.

What do yo think?

Elemental_Elf
2010-09-08, 12:36 AM

There are two criteria for determining pun damage, how 'good' a pun it was (including how easy it was to get), and the reaction it produced.

The first is a scale of one to ten and determines number of dice, 1-3 being 'took a minute', 4-7 being your typical 'easy to get' pun, 8-10 being 'my respect for your intelligence just went up'.

The second is the die you roll. A d3 or d4 means the pun was a stretch, a d6 means it induced involuntary facial movement, a d8 means it induced involuntary vocalization (laugh, groan, etc.), a d10 means 'ow, my brain'.

What do yo think?

I second the motion! Good thing I can survive a puny d3 damage for a minor pun!

Lycan 01
2010-09-08, 12:38 AM
Wait, why does the "easy to get" pun do more dice size than the "took a minute" dice? Seems like "easy to get" puns would do the least since they happen so much, followed by "took a minute," as the average, with "intelligence respect +1" being the most dice.

ON TOPIC: I wonder what other Bards in OotS are like. Are they as Genre savy and 4th-wall breaking as Elan? Or is he an exception since he's a PC, and other Bards are just musicians and storytellers trying to make a living and giving situational bonuses, but with no 4th wall access or ability to make random Star Wars jokes? :smallconfused:

Scarlet Knight
2010-09-08, 05:21 PM
The 2 bards I know are Elan and Jenny. Both are sexually liberated. So I guess you can say bards are ....lute and lascivious?

:smallredface:

Elemental_Elf
2010-09-08, 08:53 PM
The 2 bards I know are Elan and Jenny. Both are sexually liberated. So I guess you can say bards are ....lute and lascivious?

UGH! :sigh:

For some reason when people mention Puns and OOTS, I often think of Elan running around in a Penguin outfit singing about how he's a Punguin. :smalleek:

sockmonkey
2010-09-08, 11:39 PM
There is something terribly terribly wrong with all of you. I love you guys.

littlekKID
2010-09-09, 10:46 AM

Indeed.:smallsmile:

Themrys
2010-09-09, 12:12 PM

I am beginning to wonder whether that's part of the class description in the D&D rules. :smalleek:

Could be the logical result of the bard's high Charisma, though.

SlightlyEvil
2010-09-09, 04:09 PM
You could say that Elan is :smallcool:... Bard to the Bone.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

Thajocoth
2010-09-09, 04:20 PM
I enjoyed that.

I've no idea why everyone is always hating on puns... Puns are awesome!

Scarlet Knight
2010-09-09, 04:35 PM

If you love us here, go read Corporal Punishment for awhile...

Frozen_Northman
2010-09-09, 05:00 PM
Why does Elan think his instrument serves as military officer housing?

Because all of its occupants are Lute Tenants.

(Paraphrasing my joke from the Corporal Punishment thread, because it really suits Elan...)

Zelthax
2010-09-09, 05:56 PM

What do yo think?

(Does an 18 save?)

I am officially writing this down and giving it to my DM.

Also, if it's a (good-decent)barbarian pun, roll a d12 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0121.html).:smallsmile:

Crisis21
2010-09-09, 07:32 PM
(Does an 18 save?)

I am officially writing this down and giving it to my DM.

Also, if it's a (good-decent)barbarian pun, roll a d12 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0121.html).:smallsmile:
I'm really flattered. :smallredface: And no, an 18 doesn't save. :smallamused: (sorry, no evilgrin emotes)

d12 is if the pun made you injure yourself. :smallwink:

Keep in mind that when I say 'took a minute' I mean something along the lines of 'obscure' or 'almost didn't get it'. Most puns have a time-delay on them, 'took a minute' puns tend to either have a much longer time delay or require an explanation.

Scarlet Knight
2010-09-10, 07:43 AM
Wait, why does the "easy to get" pun do more dice size than the "took a minute" dice? Seems like "easy to get" puns would do the least since they happen so much, followed by "took a minute," as the average, with "intelligence respect +1" being the most dice.
:smallconfused:

Simple science, my good Lycan. When two puns of equal mass approach a listener, the one travelling at greater speed strikes with more force!

:smallbiggrin:

Crisis21
2010-09-10, 12:40 PM
Simple science, my good Lycan. When two puns of equal mass approach a listener, the one travelling at greater speed strikes with more force!

Could not have put it better myself. :smallbiggrin:

Zelthax
2010-09-10, 12:42 PM
Wait, why does the "easy to get" pun do more dice size than the "took a minute" dice? Seems like "easy to get" puns would do the least since they happen so much, followed by "took a minute," as the average, with "intelligence respect +1" being the most dice.:smallconfused:

Also, if a pun takes a minute, you are subjecting yourself to its hold, whereas if you get it near instantly, you are forced to understand it immediately, rather than have any semblance of choice.

It's the whole "saw it coming" versus "blindsided" thing. If you see punch being thrown at you, you can try to dodge, (but usually can't) and perhaps taking a little less of a blow. Compare this to just getting smacked upside the head with your back turned.

La Chatte Noire
2010-09-21, 10:17 PM
::sings::
Bard...
B-b-b-b-b-bard...
B-b-b-b-b-bard...
Bard to the BONE!!

Dr.Epic
2010-09-21, 10:21 PM
That joke is so bad I'm not even going to post in this thread.

Zen Monkey
2010-09-22, 12:42 PM
Haley is getting more genre-savvy, probably from so much exposure to Elan. In his own way, he's training her so that she can take a bard level later, making her...

pre-minstrel

Urist McDwarf
2010-09-22, 01:27 PM
That joke is so bad I'm not even going to post in this thread.
White text is fun!

Scarlet Knight
2010-09-22, 01:33 PM
Haley is getting more genre-savvy, probably from so much exposure to Elan. In his own way, he's training her so that she can take a bard level later, making her...

pre-minstrel

OH.....MY....that's wonderfully horrible !

TRU - bador DAT!

Dr.Epic
2010-09-23, 04:23 AM
The title of this thread would make a great comic, like Love is..., except with a comical bard.

Also, I'm still not posting in this thread.