PDA

View Full Version : Betting with D&D

AFS
2010-09-06, 09:02 PM
Long story short I'm planning on taking my group on a one time romp through a dungeon based loosely on Tomb of Horrors using old school D&D.

Brief Explanation:
Since the dungeon is extra deadly I’ve decided to allow players three characters each.

I was thinking about adding some extra fun. Whenever one of a player's character dies that player puts in $5 into a pot that is to be used for next games pizza fund.

PvP would be forbidden.

Would this make anyone less interested in the game or more interested?

I’m trying to gauge responses before I bring this up fully to the group.

Reinboom
2010-09-06, 09:16 PM
I, as a player, wouldn't trust you to DM it. Unless there was some balance to ensure you were putting in just as much interest in this.

For example, if you had to put in 2$ every time a party member died.

AFS
2010-09-06, 09:30 PM
I, as a player, wouldn't trust you to DM it. Unless there was some balance to ensure you were putting in just as much interest in this.

For example, if you had to put in 2$ every time a party member died.

If I did that I'd put the most $ in.
5 players X 3 chars each 15 characters max.

If everyone dies there is $75 in from everyone else, $15 per person. Paying $2.00 myself per death has me putting in $30?

I've already spent weeks planning things.

Not only that, but as the DM/GM I could fudge any roll I wanted to and that would really negate the purpose which is to survive. The players are the ones that are supposed to survive not the DM/GM.

Unless I misunderstood you.

The White Knight
2010-09-06, 09:38 PM
Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies. Somebody get me a pizza.

tcrudisi
2010-09-06, 09:44 PM
Nah, I would trust the DM. Heck - as the DM, you should get free food anyway. If I was playing and you gave me your word that you would not fudge rolls, I would be okay with that setup. It's sounds like a cool idea to me.

holywhippet
2010-09-06, 09:46 PM
Maybe it would be better to make it that whoever loses all of their characters first buys pizza.

As others have said though, DMs can pull out some nasty tricks resulting in unfair character deaths (generally by ignoring or "interpreting" certain rules).

There's also a question of the financial situation of the players - someone with a job might not care about $15 - but a starving student might.

Savannah
2010-09-06, 10:20 PM
You need to check with your players. I would refuse to pay (although I'd be interested in playing without the payment requirement) for two reasons:

1) I get attached to my characters, even if they're one-shot cannon fodder. Having one die is punishment enough, without having to pay up.

2) I don't really have $15 to spare at the moment. Even if I did, a one-shot, old-school dungeon isn't worth $15 to me.

I'm curious why you think this would be "extra fun". Do you mean fun for you, or do you think that your players are the type who would enjoy it?

What's your plan if all but one of your players are interested? Make that player pay or sit out? That doesn't seem fair. I'd suggest that you talk to each of the players about it individually, to avoid anyone being pressured into paying if they don't want to.

arrowhen
2010-09-06, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't be interested in it the way you've described, partly because I think everyone should be kicking in for the pizza fund anyway.

If you set it up as a tournament, though, that would be cool. Have everyone pay $5 or so up front and buy a gift certificate to your FLGS or Amazon or something as a prize, then set up a scoring system and DM from the standpoint of an impartial referee. You'd still be trying to kill them all, because that's the whole point of Tomb of Horrors, but because you're the referee and not a contestant it wouldn't look like you were killing them off just to take their money. Just make sure the scoring system is fair and encourages them to work together.

AFS
2010-09-06, 11:17 PM
Maybe it would be better to make it that whoever loses all of their characters first buys pizza.

As others have said though, DMs can pull out some nasty tricks resulting in unfair character deaths (generally by ignoring or "interpreting" certain rules).

There's also a question of the financial situation of the players - someone with a job might not care about $15 - but a starving student might.

That is a great idea and probably better. Might use that instead.

You need to check with your players. I would refuse to pay (although I'd be interested in playing without the payment requirement) for two reasons:

1) I get attached to my characters, even if they're one-shot cannon fodder. Having one die is punishment enough, without having to pay up.

2) I don't really have $15 to spare at the moment. Even if I did, a one-shot, old-school dungeon isn't worth $15 to me.

I'm curious why you think this would be "extra fun". Do you mean fun for you, or do you think that your players are the type who would enjoy it?

What's your plan if all but one of your players are interested? Make that player pay or sit out? That doesn't seem fair. I'd suggest that you talk to each of the players about it individually, to avoid anyone being pressured into paying if they don't want to.

I think it would bring more of an attachment to the characters, more intelligent choices and something to play for. Not everyone is like you, kudos btw (not sarcasim - I like it when players get attached)

Prolly wouldn't do it if one guy opted out.

I have everything written down the only thing I could do would be fudge rolls. This was never about me getting free pizza. There is no rock falling on the party in my notes.

If all the players die $75 sure can get you a lot of pizza. I think I may lower the death cost.

However, the players can afford it so that isn't an issue and we usually split the bill anyway. This idea might work out better if they played smart they wouldn't have to pay this week or pay less.

There are also other things about the game, I am allowing characters to have special abilities outside the norm old school D&D realm. Stuff like force points from star wars, or action points, power stunts, etc etc etc. Some added fun. That is what this is about.

I wouldn't be interested in it the way you've described, partly because I think everyone should be kicking in for the pizza fund anyway.

If you set it up as a tournament, though, that would be cool. Have everyone pay $5 or so up front and buy a gift certificate to your FLGS or Amazon or something as a prize, then set up a scoring system and DM from the standpoint of an impartial referee. You'd still be trying to kill them all, because that's the whole point of Tomb of Horrors, but because you're the referee and not a contestant it wouldn't look like you were killing them off just to take their money. Just make sure the scoring system is fair and encourages them to work together.

This is an awesome idea!!