PDA

View Full Version : Make a watch run backwards?

Icewalker
2010-09-06, 10:17 PM
So, I have recently acquired a battery powered pocketwatch, one of several I own (although currently the only one which is accurate/runs, although I'm sure the others could be fixed). I am curious as to whether it is possible to make such a watch run backwards. As it does not have numbers on its face, it would still be perfectly viable as a time-keeping device! But I'm not sure if the mechanisms would be possible to reverse. Anybody know?

RandomNPC
2010-09-06, 10:28 PM
run the charge through it backwards. as most watches are built to keep the batery from going in wrong you'll have to take it apart and manually change the wires going to the motor that turns the hands.

Marnath
2010-09-06, 10:31 PM
Won't that just make it explode?

Fawkes
2010-09-06, 10:33 PM
I'd ask a watchmaker or repairman. Ask at jewelry shops.

Icewalker
2010-09-06, 11:53 PM
I'd ask a watchmaker or repairman. Ask at jewelry shops.

This is my general plan, I'm mostly asking if it's possible for now. I don't have the expertise to trust myself to take it apart and switch it myself.

Marnath
2010-09-07, 12:04 AM
This is my general plan, I'm mostly asking if it's possible for now. I don't have the expertise to trust myself to take it apart and switch it myself.

Good plan. It would be just your luck to electrocute yourself or blow it up. :smallwink:

thubby
2010-09-07, 12:24 AM
depends entirely on the specific watch. some have gears that only catch in 1 direction.

Capt Spanner
2010-09-08, 06:11 AM
I really want a watch that runs in sidereal time, but they're really expensive.

Deth Muncher
2010-09-08, 09:33 AM
I really want a watch that runs in sidereal time, but they're really expensive.

...star time? :smallconfused: Am I remembering that right?

Erloas
2010-09-08, 11:10 AM
It really depends on the watch. If it is set up correctly it could be very very easy, and if it isn't, it could be next to impossible.

max-is-working
2010-09-08, 01:30 PM
So, I have recently acquired a battery powered pocketwatch, one of several I own (although currently the only one which is accurate/runs, although I'm sure the others could be fixed). I am curious as to whether it is possible to make such a watch run backwards. As it does not have numbers on its face, it would still be perfectly viable as a time-keeping device! But I'm not sure if the mechanisms would be possible to reverse. Anybody know?

It's not the same thing, but one fun and easy thing you can do to make your watch unique is to swap the long hand and short hand. It's not as cool as running backwards, but it's still interesting.