PDA

View Full Version : Pacifist Barbarian

genericname
2010-09-06, 10:22 PM
There is a player in our group who plays a half-orc barbarian, problem is, he almost NEVER gets in fights. He actively avoids them.

For example, there was a bar fight that started about 3 feet in front of him, so he says he gets up and leaves the bar.

Any idea on how to handle him? I mean, I thought barbarians were supposed to love fighting, and if not barbarians, then at least half-orcs.

Marnath
2010-09-06, 10:25 PM
I'd ask him what he wants for his character to do. If he doesn't like fighting, he should really pick a class that is good at more than just that one thing.

Morithias
2010-09-06, 10:33 PM
Just because he's a barbarian doesn't mean he has to get in every fight he can. There's a difference between fighting off demons raiding the sacred churchs, and slaughtering a bunch of what are probably low level drunk commoners in a bar.

Amphetryon
2010-09-06, 10:35 PM
There is a player in our group who plays a half-orc barbarian, problem is, he almost NEVER gets in fights. He actively avoids them.

For example, there was a bar fight that started about 3 feet in front of him, so he says he gets up and leaves the bar.

Any idea on how to handle him? I mean, I thought barbarians were supposed to love fighting, and if not barbarians, then at least half-orcs.

Mr. McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077031/quotes) :smallsmile:

Let your player portray his half-orc barbarian as he sees appropriate.

Perhaps he wants to play an angsty, "I hate that you're making me so angry" kind of barbarian. Perhaps he's looking at a Champion of Gwynharwyf. Perhaps he worries that a bar fight 3 feet in front of him is a trap meant by an evil DM to trick him. Given the information we have so far, it's hard to say. Perhaps you could ask him. :smallsmile:

AdamSmasher
2010-09-06, 10:40 PM
You could always let him play his character. That's a thing DMs do sometimes.

He doesn't have to perfectly conform to racial and class stereotypes.

Maybe he's a calm half-orc? If there are white people who can dance, there can be half orcs that don't randomly start and join fights for no reason.

And the same for barbarians. Just because you CAN get fly in to a bloodlust doesn't mean you're a loose cannon. If anything, you'd probably have MORE control of your anger. Or maybe its just an issue of explosive versus implosive anger.

Aran Banks
2010-09-06, 10:54 PM
He'll keep doing it, and at some point a monster will chase him and make him fight.

Or it'll rip him apart, and you can be like "Yeah, so fighting... it's a good idea once in a while."

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-06, 11:09 PM
What they said. That's not a problem, it's the player being a bit more creative. Which is, IMHO, a very good thing.

Maybe talk to him about what would make him fight? He's could be looking for something more meaningful. As long as he's not just sitting around while the rest of the party's getting beat up, it should be fine.

Vangor
2010-09-06, 11:14 PM

Many "half" folk try to overcome stereotypes of their foremost lineage. This is especially true of adventurers who tend to walk less beaten paths. Remember with barbarians, while they gain strength from rage the rage removes protection and control and tires them. Plus, rage is limited, and while he does not need to expend rage to join in a bar fight he may see the folly of senseless violence. All you know about a half-orc barbarian is they are stronger than most, melee-oriented, and less comfortable in rigid society.

dgnslyr
2010-09-07, 12:18 AM
From the OP, he seems disciplined to walk away from a drunken brawl. Sure, he could puree all of them with his big toe, but what would he gain? Certainly not EXP, and I doubt the authorities would appreciate several men with misplaced spleens. Also, I like the idea of a Bruce Banner-barbarian.

El Dorado
2010-09-07, 12:32 AM
It was a bar brawl. He was probably worried that he'd kill someone.

Lysander
2010-09-07, 12:35 AM
There's a difference between following a vow of strict pacifism and avoiding unnecessary combat. Does he fight when necessary, for example against monsters and agents of the BBEG? If so I don't see the problem. It sounds like he's just trying to play a good alignment.

Runestar
2010-09-07, 06:09 AM
So long as he doesn't become a liability in combat (eg: not contributing in battle), should be okay. :smallsmile:

pasko77
2010-09-07, 07:15 AM
Well, someone doesn't act cliched and you ask them to stop?
That's weird.

CapnVan
2010-09-07, 10:12 AM
Clearly, many here have forgotten what is best in life (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBkQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DV30 tyaXv6EI&ei=t1SGTIb9DYnDswbl1OWaBQ&usg=AFQjCNHgSrz9tFpuhPAfyJDBYKVUZCxYLg).

What's the point of playing a half-orc barbarian and not jumping into each and every bar brawl, fisticuffs, bamboozle, and hootenanny you can find?

Barbarians don't limp through the Tomb of Horrors taking a 5' step with a 10' pole! They drop a dook on the demon statue and laugh when it goes squish, just like his companions! 'Cos that's funny to them!

Halaster
2010-09-07, 10:43 AM
Clearly, many here have forgotten what is best in life (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBkQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DV30 tyaXv6EI&ei=t1SGTIb9DYnDswbl1OWaBQ&usg=AFQjCNHgSrz9tFpuhPAfyJDBYKVUZCxYLg).

Soft toilet paper?

pasko77
2010-09-07, 02:33 PM
Well, someone doesn't act cliched and you ask them to stop?
That's weird.

What's the point of playing a half-orc barbarian and not jumping into each and every bar brawl, fisticuffs, bamboozle, and hootenanny you can find?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

RebelRogue
2010-09-07, 05:03 PM
If he's playing against character, more power to him. And after all, random bar fights tend to be pointless anyway. He's saving his energy for important fights!

If however (and I've seen this), he's just a plain coward and doesn't want to risk his precious character getting a scratch, that could be a problem - then he should play something else!

kyoryu
2010-09-07, 05:04 PM
Is the problem that you're trying to use a bar brawl as a plot hook, and the character isn't cooperating?