PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Rogue assistance

Heatwizard
2010-09-06, 11:01 PM
While years of cultural osmosis means I know how to play pretty well, I don't have the hands-on experience to really know what I'm doing while building a character.

My googling for Rogue guides has turned up few helpful results. I could use a crash course on how to be a decent Rogue; I'm not sure what feats I should be picking, what future levels should look like...that kind of stuff.

DM says core races/classes would be appreciated, though he was fine with Strongheart Halfling when I asked. The only other guy who has a character written out so far is a Dwarf Fighter, apparently. 32 point buy, 2 flaws, 1 trait.

I appreciate any help you can offer, good sirs.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-06, 11:09 PM
General Rogue advice

UMD is your friend, tumble is also great for mobility and getting into flankng positions.

If you are going melee route get at least TWF, more attacks per round means more SA per round.

you know what I let the expert enlighten you (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8711233#post8711233)

Heatwizard
2010-09-07, 02:56 AM
you know what I let the expert enlighten you (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8711233#post8711233)

Ah ha. This is good, grazie.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-07, 04:15 AM
If you are going melee route get at least TWF, more attacks per round means more SA per round.
That's a common assumption, but without facts to back it up. Whether you can get more damage with Two-Weapon Fighting is dependent on a bunch of things:

If you have a chance to make full attacks, and can do so without getting killed.
If you'll still hit with the TWF penalty.
If you'll still hit with a lower weapon attack bonus, because your magical weapon enhancement budget will be stretched twice as far.
Whether you'd be doing more sneak attack damage if you chose some other feat instead (like Craven).
I recommend against it. Two-Weapon Fighting is a poor feat because it restricts your combat options, and it's the first in a chain with even poorer benefits (because later iterative attacks are less likely to hit).

If you want some solid insight about playing a Rogue, I've got three pieces of useful advice for you.

Look far and wide for your Rogue options. The core books make Rogue a weak class, but many supplements improve that in bits and pieces. You'll want to at least look at Craven (Champions of Ruin), Penetrating Strike (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft or Dungeonscape), Darkstalker (Lords of Madness), Wilderness Rogue variant (Unearthed Arcana), Bracers of Striking (Magic of Faerūn), Snap Kick (Tome of Battle), Savvy Rogue (Complete Scoundrel), and Greater Demolition and Greater Truedeath weapon augment crystals (Magic Item Compendium).
Feats are precious to a Rogue, so compare the benefits of multiple options in every selection. There are hundreds of choices ─ and most of them are poor.
Always walk around with a (composite) shortbow (most races) or longbow (Elf) ready to fire. In the surprise round you'll get to add sneak attack damage against one flat-footed enemy because you weren't surprised. (You did maximize your Spot skill, right?) In the first regular round of combat, no matter what your initiative is, you'll still have some enemies that haven't acted yet, so make ranged full attacks. Don't ever squander a chance for a full round of sneak attacks by closing for melee.