Speed 5 ft. (1 squares)
Init: -4
AC 15 (-1 size, -4 Dex, +10 natural); touch 5; flat-footed 15
BAB +7; Grp +11
Attack Bite +6 (1d8 plus disease)
Full-Attack Bite +6 (1d8 plus disease)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Belch, Death Throes
Special Qualities Damage Reduction 5/-, low-light vision, scent, resistance to acid, cold, electricity, and fire 5
Saves Fort +11 Ref +3 Will +11
Abilities Str 10, Dex 3, Con 20, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 5
Skills Spot +13, Listen +13
Feats Toughness, Improved Toughness, Endurance, Steadfast Determination
Environment Underground
Organization Hive (1 Rat Queen + 5-100 Dire Rats)
Challenge Rating 5
Treasure Standard
Alignment Neutral
Advancement 11-20 (large), 21-30 (huge)
Level Adjustment -

An abomination stands before you, a grotesque heap of flesh, with ratlike claws and feet, and a grotesque head almost dog like. Its belly is constantly wriggling, pregnant with some unknown horrors, and occasionally it seems to scream inaudibly.

Rat Queens are heavily mutated dire rats, from living beneath powerful magical locations, or just insane wizard experiments. Rat queens are rotund, with about a 5 foot radius, demented limbs sticking out from its spherical body.

Combat

A Rat Queen rarely if ever attacks with its bite attack using it as a last resort, and sometimes not even then. It can barely move, slowly rolling its way away from danger, while belching out followers to defend it.

Disease (Ex): Filth Fever-bite, Fortitude DC 15, incubation period 1d3 days, damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con. The save DC is constitution based.

Belch (Ex): Every 1d4 rounds a Rat Queen can eject out 1d4+1 Dire Rats, in the squares adjacent if possible, and if not the nearest squares determined randomly. For every rat produced roll a d6, and on a 6 the creature has either the spellwarped or the horrid template, roll to determine which.

Death Throes (Ex): On death the Rat Queen releases 2d4+2 rats, each with a half chance of having a template.

Admiral Squish
2010-09-07, 06:03 AM
A lot of those templates seem like they were just grabbed out of thin air. If you're going for a mutation vibe, I'd say go with just a flat 10% chance of having the horrid template from the Eberron Campaign Setting (It's basically dire+)

Dumbledore lives
2010-09-07, 06:10 AM
A lot of those templates seem like they were just grabbed out of thin air. If you're going for a mutation vibe, I'd say go with just a flat 10% chance of having the horrid template from the Eberron Campaign Setting (It's basically dire+)

Yeah, I used most of them because my players had fought dire rats with them before, but going for something simpler might be better.

137beth
2010-09-07, 04:23 PM
Or why not make it so 1/6th of the rats have templates, but those templates are always either dire or horrid.

Admiral Squish
2010-09-07, 05:27 PM
Or why not make it so 1/6th of the rats have templates, but those templates are always either dire or horrid.

They're already dire rats.

The Tygre
2010-09-07, 05:42 PM
They're already dire rats.

Now they're dire dire rats. Twice as big with twice the unnecessary spikes and claws.

Debihuman
2010-09-07, 09:47 PM
It has too many feats. It should have 4 feats for 10 HD.

Zaydos
2010-09-07, 09:51 PM
Also Improved Toughness. Way more efficient than Toughness.

Latronis
2010-09-07, 09:51 PM
Feats ToughnessB Toughness x 4

Fix'd XD

Dumbledore lives
2010-09-08, 11:29 PM
It has too many feats. It should have 4 feats for 10 HD.

My mistake, I forgot because I normally play with more feats. I edited out the more random templates, and changed some of the feats, though I'd like recommendations on any better feats beside toughness.

137beth
2010-09-09, 07:15 AM
Iron will (about at the point where it would matter most, since fortitude is already high and reflex is too low to matter that much. Possibly improved natural armor.

Debihuman
2010-09-11, 07:01 AM
Special Qualities Damage Reduction 5/-, low-light vision, resistance to acid, cold, electricity, and fire 5

It looks like it has remnants of some template -- which one? Normal animals only have low-light vision. It could still have resistance to cold for being fat but should probably lose the DR 5/-, and resistance to acid and fire. It seems to now be missing Scent, which it should have (see Dire Rat entry).

Debby

Dumbledore lives
2010-09-12, 10:20 PM
It looks like it has remnants of some template -- which one? Normal animals only have low-light vision. It could still have resistance to cold for being fat but should probably lose the DR 5/-, and resistance to acid and fire. It seems to now be missing Scent, which it should have (see Dire Rat entry).

Debby

They aren't remnants of any template, they're there because the fat is enough to protect it from danger. You're right about the Scent though.

So I changed the feats around a bit, and I'm pretty happy with the result, but I'm always up for constructive criticism.