PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Super-feats

Cespenar
2010-09-07, 06:02 AM
I've found an old notepad file in which I had scribbled down a variant feat system, and decided to post it to see what everyone else thinks. The idea is incredibly simple, it's to get existing feats together or add a couple things more to have what I would call a super-feat. The reason is to increase the worth of feats in general and make use of the really crappy ones. The feats I had edited are all non-caster feats and consist mainly of core feats with a side dish of Complete Warrior. Without further ado, here they are:

Disclaimer: The explanations are far from being well-written, because as usual, I probably had done it in some streak of boredom. But I hope they're at least capable of conveying the ideas behind them.

Skill focus: Skill Focus + Skill Mastery

Blind-fight: Original + Treats concealment bonuses as one level lower(e.g. %50 becomes %20, %20 gets ignored). Also included: Eyes in the Back of Your Head (CWar).

Power Attack: When you hit an opponent, all excess attack bonuses are treated as if being used by this feat.

Cleave: Cleave + Great Cleave

Combat Expertise: Combat Expertise + Karmic Strike. Also, you may decide to use this feat after making your attack instead of before. Furthermore, a character with an equipped shield may add double the penalty he's taking on his attack roll to his AC.

Combat Reflexes: Combat Reflexes + Evasive Reflexes

Endurance: Original + immunity to fatigue effects, and exhaustion makes fatigue instead.

Diehard: Your negative hp allowance is equal to your Con score. +4 on saves vs. any death or negative energy effects.

Run: Run + Dash + Fleet of Foot. Also, the total speed bonus increases to +15 feet when taking a double move (instead of +10 with Dash).

Dodge: It's either your Dex modifier against one opponent or +1 against everyone.

Mobility: Mobility + Spring Attack

Spring Attack: Full attack as standard action, but only with unmounted melee attacks.

Point Blank Shot: If any ranged attack your character makes is in your weapon's first range increment or 30' (whichever lower), each hit you successfully make threatens as well.

Rapid Shot: Usable in standard action attacks as well.

Precise Shot: Precise Shot + Sharp-Shooting. Also, your ranged attacks do +1d6 precision damage.

Far Shot: Increases the range of all precision-based attacks by x1.5 as well.

Manyshot: Manyshot + Greater Manyshot + Improved Rapid Shot (CWar)

Imp. Precise Shot: Original + a further +2d6 precision damage.

Shot on the Run: Original + full attack as standard action, with only unmounted ranged attacks.

Great Fortitude: Original + the Fortitude part of Mettle. Moreover, the ability to take 10 on Fort saves at all times.

Lightning Reflexes: Lightning Reflexes + Improved Initiative + Quick Draw

Iron Will: Original + a second save is allowed in the next round, and, the Will part of Mettle.

Combat Technique - Power: Imp. Bull Rush + Imp Sunder + Combat Brute (CWar)

Combat Technique - Finesse: Imp. Disarm + Imp. Feint + Imp. Trip

Weapon Focus: Comes with the Warblade ability Weapon Aptitude. Also, the bonus is +2.

Weapon Specialization: Instead of +2, the weapon inflicts one extra die of damage. Oh, and also, Improved Critical is included.

Greater Weapon Focus: A further +2. Also, Power Critical.

Greater Weapon Spec.: Two more dice of damage.

Improved Unarmed Strike: IUS + Stunning Fist + Imp. Grapple

Mounted Combat: Mounted Combat + Ride-by Attack

Ride-by Attack: Full attack as standard action, only mounted, melee attacks.

Mounted Archery: In addition, full attack as standard action, only mounted, ranged attacks.

Combat Technique - Heavy Cavalry: Trample + Imp. Overrun + Spirited Charge

TWF: TWF + TW Defense + Dual Strike (CWar)

Improved TWF: The remaining -2 penalties vanish. Also, Improved TW Defense. Moreover, your off-hand attacks are at the same rate as your main hand forever.

Toughness: Maximize your hit point rolls.

Combat Technique - Ranged Finesse: Ranged Disarm + Ranged Pin + Ranged Sunder

Improved Shield Bash: Imp. Shield Bash + Shield Charge + Shield Slam

Hold the Line: Hold the Line + Stand Still. In addition, deal double damage against charging foe, triple with a readied polearm.

Combat Technique - Close Combat: Close-Quarters Fighting + Clever Wrestling + Defensive Throw + Earth's Embrace

Persistent Rage: Extend Rage + Instantaneous Rage, +1 rage/day.

Furious Rage: Intimidating Rage + Destructive Rage, +1 rage/day.

Fists of Iron: Double unarmed damage instead of +1d6, and for the whole round.

Kyrthain
2010-09-07, 06:44 AM
I like a lot of these, but there are a few in there that don't need buffing. Power attack stands out as one, given that it is the go-to way to have effective melee.

Also: You mention a few that grant an additional feat, one that is already listed afterwards. I assume the combination grants the old benefit, not the new one (example: Mobility is now mobility and spring attack. Spring attack is also listed below, but gains new benefits. I assume that the new mobility does not grant the benefits of the new spring attack)

Cespenar
2010-09-07, 07:27 AM
Yes, classic bad wording issue. The "extra" feats always refer to their old versions, if I'm not mistaken elsewhere too.

Private-Prinny
2010-09-07, 08:43 AM
With your version of Power Attack, you end up with ruthlessly efficient melee types.

Assuming that you have bad wording again and really meant just BAB, you still get to Power Attack for the absolute perfect amount. In fact, I can think of no reason to actually use a regular PA with that feat, since every blow I connect will just be auto-boosted anyway. If you actually meant all excess points of attack bonus, that's even worse, since you can get things like Str counting twice, weapon enhancements counting twice, even more deadly uberchargers, etc. And I don't even want to see what happens if they land a crit threat, since any extra point of to-hit would be "extra."

Runestar
2010-09-07, 08:50 AM
Assuming that you have bad wording again and really meant just BAB, you still get to Power Attack for the absolute perfect amount. In fact, I can think of no reason to actually use a regular PA with that feat, since every blow I connect will just be auto-boosted anyway.

I think his intention is exactly that - you will always be able to PA for just the right amount. Basically, you gain a damage bonus equal to (your attack roll - opponent's AC), though you may want to add a caveat that this amount may not exceed your bab (double for 2HF?) or something.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-07, 08:51 AM
I am not sure I understand half of the wording on those feats, to be frank.

Cespenar
2010-09-07, 09:16 AM
I am not sure I understand half of the wording on those feats, to be frank.

Name a couple and I might try to explain.

On the brokenness of Power Attack, I should have said that there won't be any ubercharging with this system. Yes, I'm revoking Shock Trooper (or I may do an edit of it as well). The main damage output of warrior-types should be instead: move + full attack with efficient Power Attack.

Private-Prinny
2010-09-07, 09:34 AM
On the brokenness of Power Attack, I should have said that there won't be any ubercharging with this system. Yes, I'm revoking Shock Trooper (or I may do an edit of it as well). The main damage output of warrior-types should be instead: move + full attack with efficient Power Attack.

You do realize that that's why uberchargers grab Pounce, right? It's so they can charge, and then make a full attack, with Power Attack being made more efficient by Shock Trooper. Ubercharging is still possible, and may actually be even easier.

Cespenar
2010-09-07, 10:14 AM
You do realize that that's why uberchargers grab Pounce, right? It's so they can charge, and then make a full attack, with Power Attack being made more efficient by Shock Trooper. Ubercharging is still possible, and may actually be even easier.

You're looking at it from the wrong angle. These are just the core feats redone, and then a few. I would, if I had the time or encouragement, continue to edit everything else in the system, but I don't. Suffice it to say that Pounce would be one of the first things removed if I would continue expanding this.

LibraryOgre
2010-09-07, 11:27 AM
The Mod Wonder: Moved at OP's request. Carry on!

ericgrau
2010-09-07, 05:04 PM
Agreed that some don't need boosting. For others, 0 + 0 = 0. These feats should just be removed if you don't want to use related abilities when you DM. If you do, then they become useful and no longer need boosting. Endurance is the classic example. It is useless in a hack and slash campaign and is thus much maligned but it is amazing with a DM that pays attention to the various wilderness rules.

That said, it may be interesting to combine similar feats anyway, and boost the effective power level on purpose. It gives them more feats for more interesting characters, yet while forcing them to take everything in each area instead of picking and choosing to fulfill only one purpose. Using splatbooks helps get enough feats to make this work, b/c if everyone has every feat they're no longer different are they?

Cespenar
2010-09-08, 12:20 AM
It gives them more feats for more interesting characters, yet while forcing them to take everything in each area instead of picking and choosing to fulfill only one purpose. Using splatbooks helps get enough feats to make this work, b/c if everyone has every feat they're no longer different are they?

I think, with the whole plethora of base/prestige classes being kept intact, there isn't any risk for characters to become copies of each other with this system - I can even say that by making the feats more close to each other in terms of power, the need for using set-in-stone builds would decrease, and the only Fighters we would see around wouldn't be uberchargers and chain trippers (yes, I exaggerate, to make a point).

At least, that was my intent. The idea has a good potential to be improved beyond my few feeble worded feats.