PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Incomplete party Vs Wizard

lokoone
2010-09-07, 09:10 AM
we are a very unoptimized evil party of a barbarian 12/Ur-priest 1(and a cohort bard 10), Fighter 12(use bow), rogue 7/shadowdancer 3 and a druid 11 (but he is idiot)
and two clerics lvl 10 and 13 but they are not going to help

against a wizard or two... lvl 15 or more, how can we possibly win?
we have 120000 GP to use

PS:sorry about the bad english, it's my second language

jguy
2010-09-07, 09:24 AM
If the rogue has a good Use Magic Device, get a scroll of antimagic field, cast it, and run up to the mage.

Get someone to cast silence on the fighter or barbarian and grapple the wizard.

If the barbarian has very high strength and hits hard, hope he gets first in initiative and charge the wizard before it is his turn.

Druid can ready an action to cast any amount of direct damage spells for when the wizard is casting. The wizard will have to make a very high concentration check or lose his spell.

Thinker
2010-09-07, 09:43 AM
If the rogue has a good Use Magic Device, get a scroll of antimagic field, cast it, and run up to the mage.
That is a bad idea. The wizards should be flying or otherwise out of reach and casting antimagic field on the rogue makes it so that he cannot reach them at all and so that his magic equipment no longer works.

Get someone to cast silence on the fighter or barbarian and grapple the wizard.
This isn't a bad idea, but still requires some method for the fighter or barbarian to reach the wizard. Bards get silence as a level 2 spell.

If the barbarian has very high strength and hits hard, hope he gets first in initiative and charge the wizard before it is his turn.
Depending on available sources, the barbarian won't go first. Depending on the scenario, if the wizards are expecting them they won't even be within reach at the beginning of the fight. The fighter with the bow could be useful if the opponents don't wind wall. Scrolls of Greater Dispel magic created by the level 13 cleric (and cast by the rogue) would be very helpful to eliminate buffs.

Druid can ready an action to cast any amount of direct damage spells for when the wizard is casting. The wizard will have to make a very high concentration check or lose his spell.
The Druid should wildshape into something that can attack the wizards. If anyone should be on interrupt duty it should be the fighter or the rogue (with scrolls of Dispel Magic to counterspell).

Killer Angel
2010-09-07, 09:58 AM
If anyone should be on interrupt duty it should be the fighter or the rogue (with scrolls of Dispel Magic to counterspell).

Well, good luck with it.
When dispel magic is used to counterspell, you must make a dispel check to counter the other spellcaster’s spell: using a scroll, would be a 5° lev. Vs a 15° lev.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-07, 09:58 AM
I think you mean Move Silently while making use of Hide in Plain Sight so the victim knows nothing until the sneak attack in the surprise round is complete. :smallsmile:

jguy
2010-09-07, 10:00 AM
Yeah, mine were just off the top of my head with 0 information on what the wizard is outside level. Just some good basic stuff

Thinker
2010-09-07, 10:04 AM
Well, good luck with it.
When dispel magic is used to counterspell, you must make a dispel check to counter the other spellcaster’s spell: using a scroll, would be a 5° lev. Vs a 15° lev.

I'm sorry, I meant Greater Dispel Magic as made by the level 13 cleric (who hopefully has >13 CL). In any case, the druid should not be wasting his time trying to interrupt spell casting.

lokoone
2010-09-07, 10:11 AM
maybe the anti magic field trick work, my barbarian can fly without magic(feathered wings graft)
but im not sure if we will find AMF scroll to buy

the wizard is our "friend"
we are going after him at his own tower

buut the party is mostly chaotic/evil, we are together because every one fear the barbarian, and the rogue may betray us..

aww its hard to stay together in a evil group

Tyndmyr
2010-09-07, 11:58 AM
we are a very unoptimized evil party of a barbarian 12/Ur-priest 1(and a cohort bard 10), Fighter 12(use bow), rogue 7/shadowdancer 3 and a druid 11 (but he is idiot)
and two clerics lvl 10 and 13 but they are not going to help

against a wizard or two... lvl 15 or more, how can we possibly win?
we have 120000 GP to use

Oh, dear. Well, hope the GM isn't good with wizards. Consider his favorite spells.

Buy rings of counterspells, lots of them. If anyone has UMD, abuse it. If not, well, you're probably screwed. A brooch of shielding each, too, if he likes magic missile.

Ruinix
2010-09-07, 01:48 PM
barb and fighter charge and pin on them.

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-07, 02:48 PM
Have a sit down talk with all of the players about strategy. You have access to some tier 1 classes in their, you should spend like an entire gaming session talking to people about what their classes can do, and what abilities they have. The druid should be wild shaping into something that flies, the clerics should have some awesome buffs that also help with flight, the bard should be messing up the wizard with spells, etc. etc. etc.