PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] (@all walking grimoires out there) Spells against teleportation-like Intrusion?

Chrizzt
2010-09-07, 04:43 PM
Hello!

Consider you want to make a room or the like proof against teleportation, which spells or other methods are there available. To make it worse: Consider that possible intruders have already been there and therefore don't need to scry on the place. Illusion spells or spells that foil scrying might have little effect, therefore.

I am already aware of the following spells:
Cleric 6 - Forbiddance
Wizard 8 - Dimensional Lock

The stronghold builders guidebook web enhancement has forbiddance sigils, that are quite expensive though and do not include the password option.

Are there any other methods left? Perhaps a strange special material that can be added to walls, similar as lead can be added to walls to make them divination proof?

Thank you for your input, fellows!

Chrono22
2010-09-07, 04:47 PM
There is a lair ward in the draconomicon that prevents teleportation. It's quite pricey, though.
As a cheaper alternative, I suggest creating a sensor device (anticipate teleport trap) that can detect incoming teleportations, which can then activate a temporary ward and an alarm.

Chrizzt
2010-09-07, 04:55 PM
Thank you for the quick reply! I have had a look over all the wards, but while there are some that prevent scrying, I have seen no one that could foil teleportation. Could you give me its name, perhaps? I seem to keep overreading...

Kallisti
2010-09-07, 05:01 PM
Anticipate Teleportation is an entertaining spell. It doesn't stop incoming teleports, just puts them on hold for a few rounds and alerts you. If you're a powerful enough spellcaster to be needing permanent anti-teleport wards, those few rounds give you some interesting options. Like the explosive runes you prepared this morning, or Sepia Snake Sigil.

Chrono22
2010-09-07, 05:06 PM
Oh I guess I must have houseruled it in some years ago.

It should cost 14,000 gp, the same amount as the Sigils of Suppression, lesser.

Anticipate Teleportation is an entertaining spell. It doesn't stop incoming teleports, just puts them on hold for a few rounds and alerts you. If you're a powerful enough spellcaster to be needing permanent anti-teleport wards, those few rounds give you some interesting options. Like the explosive runes you prepared this morning, or Sepia Snake Sigil.
Or a contingent antimagic field that goes off when your magic mouth starts shouting "intruder, intruder". The incoming teleporting creature becomes stuck in transit as the "exit point" of the teleport is covered by the antimagic field.
This should give you and your minions plenty of time to prepare your defenses, and a grisly death for your enemies.

Chrizzt
2010-09-07, 05:26 PM
Thank you all for your input so far, which I have carefully read. While Anticipate Teleportation or the like seems quite interesting, I would be more interested in anti-teleportation-gear that also works if the room-owner is not around to fight intruders (though greater alarm and anticipate teleportation are great tools to alarm him/her if around)

Edit:
Zone of Respite and Refusal might shoot in the general direction, as I have just recently discovered, however, they are not long enough in duration to make them worthwile.

Perhaps there is a way to link them with an anticipate teleportation spell, so that zone of respite goes off when anticiapte teleportation detects intruders..

Lysander
2010-09-07, 07:40 PM
Simple. Hire an architect and remodel. The intruders have been there. Now make "there" no longer exist. Knock down a few walls, add new ones, change the building's layout. Spells like Stone Shape can make this easier. Once the place is no longer recognizable when they try teleporting there it will count as a false destination:

For teleport:

“False destination” is a place that does not truly exist or if you are teleporting to an otherwise familiar location that no longer exists as such or has been so completely altered as to no longer be familiar to you. When traveling to a false destination, roll 1d20+80 to obtain results on the table, rather than rolling d%, since there is no real destination for you to hope to arrive at or even be off target from.

Even Greater Teleport is foiled by it:

If you attempt to teleport with insufficient information (or with misleading information), you disappear and simply reappear in your original location.

dextercorvia
2010-09-07, 09:31 PM
Keep a pet. Cast Anticipate Teleport on said pet each morning. Craft Contingent Dimensional Lock on your pet (or pay for it) with the trigger that your Anticipate Teleport is delaying something's teleportation into the area. I can't tell you where they will be, but they won't be in your house.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-07, 10:11 PM
Not sure if there is a spell version, but the power Divert teleport seems just what you are looking. for extra fun use a self reseting trap of it.