PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ways to improve Sense Motive

Chrizzt
2010-09-07, 05:39 PM
Hello folks.

Which ways to improve your Sense Motive Skill are there, beside crafting a custom magic item that grants you a COMPENTENCE Bonus or taking Skill Focus(Sense Motive). I am already picking Master Astrologer to gain a competence bonus equal to my MA level.

Boosting wisdom might be a way, but perhaps there are items or the like that grant bonus other than competence? Aid another, don't know if it is applicable concerning Sense Motive.

Which interesting applications for the Sense Motive skill are there, beside the ones mentioned in the SRD (including epic level application)?

Glimbur
2010-09-07, 06:02 PM
There are some items in Complete Adventurer that help with skills. I think there's a crown for +5 to sense motive... Steady Rulership or some such. They didn't move in to MiC because... well... skills. Start there.

Draz74
2010-09-07, 06:26 PM
Which interesting applications for the Sense Motive skill are there, beside the ones mentioned in the SRD (including epic level application)?

Tome of Battle! It has a couple great ones. My favorite is Baffling Defense.

HunterOfJello
2010-09-07, 06:57 PM
Illiterate Trait

crizh
2010-09-07, 07:31 PM
Inquisitor (EPH)

Expend Focus for a +10 to Sense Motive to oppose Bluff.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-09-07, 07:36 PM
in complete warrior it gives the rules for using sense motive to gauge a character's overall power relative to yours.

Andion Isurand
2010-09-07, 08:57 PM
Take Keen Intellect from 3.5 OA (Dragon 318) as a first level only feat.

Allows you to use intelligence instead of wisdom for your Will saves, as well as Heal, Sense Motive, Spot and Survival checks.

imp_fireball
2010-09-07, 09:01 PM
I think the OP was looking at ways to make the skill more interesting.

Anyway...

What, about 'tying up loose ends' in a mystery? All the evidence is there, but the answer just doesn't seem to fall into into place, until you use sense motive to figure out what the commiter of the act was thinking at the time.

Thurbane
2010-09-08, 09:43 PM
The Rules Compendium includes the following uses of Sense Motive:

Assess Opponent
Discern Secret Message
Hunch
Sense Enchantment