PDA

View Full Version : Corporal Punishment...

Lord Bingo
2010-09-07, 05:40 PM
Did anyone take special notice of Roy's last line in #745?

Personally, I favor corporal punishment. Here, I'll show you

I'm not going to suggest Roy is gonna kill Belkar here and now as I am sure our own little psychopath will stay on to the bitter end, but is he going to give him a trashing or what?

Goosefarble
2010-09-07, 06:12 PM
Like many other times, a character has mentioned beating up another character. Such as Durkon's "hammer-shaped impact" in his flock. It's nothing to get worked up about, just someone making an empty threat of violence.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-09-07, 06:22 PM
I'm not going to suggest Roy is gonna kill Belkar…
Corporal Punishment is simply beating.

Capital punishment is killing.

hobbitkniver
2010-09-07, 06:23 PM
I seriously doubt Roy would kill Belkar in this situation. He's just joking.

ref
2010-09-07, 08:39 PM
Nah, he got promoted. Now it's Lieutenant Punishment.

Pyron
2010-09-07, 08:54 PM
Corporal Punishment is simply beating.

Which is still a major pain.

Mando Knight
2010-09-07, 09:43 PM

No, Major Pain is a commissioned officer. Corporal Punishment is an NCO.

Scarlet Knight
2010-09-07, 09:50 PM
So we're turning to General Silliness...:smalltongue:

Goosefarble
2010-09-07, 10:03 PM

Hey, keep that opinion private.

...Oh **** off you do better.

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-07, 10:06 PM

Silly, silly! Get on with it!

...I said get on with it!

Darthteej
2010-09-07, 10:47 PM

Now you're just being Captain Obvious.

Swordpriest
2010-09-07, 11:36 PM
Heh -- love the comments in here. :smallbiggrin:

However, although Roy probably has a slight urge to beat him up, it looks like typical "blowing off steam" talk to me. I mean, I've heard dozens of people over my life say something similar to Roy's statement about someone else, or make even worse "threats", during a stressful moment at work or whatever, and I've never seen it result in physical action yet. "That stupid so-and-so, I'm going to knock every tooth out of his head!" The shouting gets it out of the system, and it seems to be seldom acted on in reality as well.

Umbra
2010-09-08, 12:25 AM

I think that's the General Idea.

Elemental_Elf
2010-09-08, 12:27 AM
No, Major Pain is a commissioned officer. Corporal Punishment is an NCO.

You win the thread ^.^

I wonder if Roy really could exact some Corporal Punishment on Belkar... I mean, Belkar does have a pebble which is vastly more powerful than Roy's Sword-based fighter feats at the moment...

Dr.Epic
2010-09-08, 03:52 AM
Like many other times, a character has mentioned beating up another character. Such as Durkon's "hammer-shaped impact" in his flock. It's nothing to get worked up about, just someone making an empty threat of violence.

Yeah, it's just a joke. Don't take it too seriously.

Demonicbunny
2010-09-08, 04:12 AM
I think that's the General Idea.

Stop being a such a Major Ass, you'll drive away the comicreaders and they're the only crowd we got, in lieu of actual tenants, on this forum.
:smallbiggrin:

Strawfox
2010-09-08, 05:00 AM
Can anyone still remember this immortal classic of military comedy? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110443/

Jan Mattys
2010-09-08, 05:31 AM
Stop being a such a Major Ass, you'll drive away the comicreaders and they're the only crowd we got, in lieu of actual tenants, on this forum.

You, Sir, made me lol.

Thanks.
:smallsmile:

Scarlet Knight
2010-09-08, 08:02 AM
You, Sir, made me lol.

Thanks.
:smallsmile:

There's a Colonel O'truth there, sir.

ObadiahtheSlim
2010-09-08, 08:09 AM
http://sharetv.org/images/monty_pythons_flying_circus_uk/the_colonel-char.jpg

This thread is entirely too silly. Now, nobody likes a good laugh more than I do. Except perhaps my wife. And some of her friends. Oh yes, and Captain Johnson... Come to think of it, most people like a good laugh more than I do, but that's beside the point!

Clovis
2010-09-08, 08:13 AM
http://sharetv.org/images/monty_pythons_flying_circus_uk/the_colonel-char.jpg

This thread is entirely too silly. Now, nobody likes a good laugh more than I do. Except perhaps my wife. And some of her friends. Oh yes, and Captain Johnson... Come to think of it, most people like a good laugh more than I do, but that's beside the point!

ROFLMAO! This wins you multiple internets!

Lord Bingo
2010-09-08, 09:45 AM
wonder if Roy really could exact some Corporal Punishment on Belkar... I mean, Belkar does have a pebble which is vastly more powerful than Roy's Sword-based fighter feats at the moment...

Surely a pebble in the hands of any halfling is a mighty weapon indeed and in the hands of one such as Belkar it would surely be a superior piece of armament..... If you insist on the pebble being anymore than a joke remember that it is a one-shot weapon:smallamused:

Feats such as Power Attack and Cleave (if I remember the latter correctly) do not rely on a weapon to work, so Roy could still deal some righteous, even if non-lethal, damage if he decided to smack Belkar around a little. I am, however, unsure whether Roy's fighting prowess is really that superior to Belkar's as they are both full BAB warriors of roughly equal levels.

btw, what happened to General Observation?

Scarlet Knight
2010-09-08, 10:30 AM
btw, what happened to General Observation?

He was seen leaving to deal with his privates...

Darius1020
2010-09-08, 10:41 AM
This topic is getting a little too Sir Real for my tastes

Kish
2010-09-08, 10:50 AM
Feats such as Power Attack and Cleave (if I remember the latter correctly) do not rely on a weapon to work, so Roy could still deal some righteous, even if non-lethal, damage if he decided to smack Belkar around a little.
Cleave is meaningless in any one-on-one fight.

Elemental_Elf
2010-09-08, 11:18 AM
Feats such as Power Attack and Cleave (if I remember the latter correctly) do not rely on a weapon to work, so Roy could still deal some righteous, even if non-lethal, damage if he decided to smack Belkar around a little. I am, however, unsure whether Roy's fighting prowess is really that superior to Belkar's as they are both full BAB warriors of roughly equal levels.

It would be a fairly even fight. Roy probably has more Hit Points, a Higher Strength and some better feats but Belkar has a better AC (higher Dexterity and small size) along with a cool extraordinary power (rage) and, as we have already noted, a Pebble. I'd enjoy seeing this battle!:smallbiggrin:

B.I.T.T.
2010-09-08, 11:30 AM
I'm pretty sure Roy's just joking.

Oh and there is an Admiral Able amount of puns floating around here.

Scarlet Knight
2010-09-08, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty sure Roy's just joking.

Oh and there is an Admiral Able about of puns floating around here.

Well, the thread IS about Cpl Punisment...:smalltongue:

Yana
2010-09-08, 11:59 AM
And the Major Ity of them are terrible TERRIBLE puns.

Not that puns are at all bad.

pendell
2010-09-08, 01:19 PM
And the Major Ity of them are terrible TERRIBLE puns.

Not that puns are at all bad.

On the contrary , the bad puns are Legion. If we're not careful, someone will laugh themselves to death, and then we'll have to dispose of the Corps.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Nimrod's Son
2010-09-08, 02:16 PM
Major Pain is a commissioned officer. Corporal Punishment is an NCO.

General Silliness

Captain Obvious

General Idea

Major Ass

Colonel O'truth

General Observation

Major Ity
Quoted for troops.

Boogastreehouse
2010-09-08, 02:17 PM
Private Parts! Front and center!

BRC
2010-09-08, 02:22 PM
On the contrary , the bad puns are Legion. If we're not careful, someone will laugh themselves to death, and then we'll have to dispose of the Corps.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
That ends with somebody having to Ensign a Warrent Officer for our arrest.

Frozen_Northman
2010-09-08, 02:24 PM
:roy: Why are you trying to climb inside that instrument, Elan?

:elan: For a promotion! Lute Tenant Elan, reporting for duty, sir!

:roy: . . .

Tira-chan
2010-09-08, 02:48 PM
Personally, I think the Giant is just taking advantage of the fact that the Crack Pairing thread is no longer operating on this forum.

pendell
2010-09-08, 04:30 PM
It's just as well. One was liable to fall into bad Company in the Crack Pairings thread.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Scarlet Knight
2010-09-08, 04:31 PM
:roy: Why are you trying to climb inside that instrument, Elan?

:elan: For a promotion! Lute Tenant Elan, reporting for duty, sir!

:roy: . . .

My word! THAT was awful! :smallbiggrin:

B.I.T.T.
2010-09-08, 04:38 PM
Well, the thread IS about Cpl Punisment...:smalltongue:

I don't own a kitten, but if I did that pun would have made it cry.

137beth
2010-09-08, 04:39 PM
You win the thread ^.^

I wonder if Roy really could exact some Corporal Punishment on Belkar... I mean, Belkar does have a pebble which is vastly more powerful than Roy's Sword-based fighter feats at the moment...

Nah, Belkar doesn't really have that many stone-throwing feats, he wanted to make the other prisoners THINK he did. Apparently, he values Bluff and/or Intimidate.

Scarlet Knight
2010-09-08, 05:26 PM
:haley: "While you're dying my boots, do this hat, too.

:durkon: "Be it magic, too, lass?"

:haley: "No, I've just always wanted a cap tan..."

:smalltongue:

Studoku
2010-09-08, 06:42 PM
If only bad puns were limitted to Private Messages...

super dark33
2010-09-09, 04:59 PM
i think i cant cast 9th level spells now

Goosefarble
2010-09-09, 05:55 PM
Stop This. Look What We're Becoming, People!

TheEmerged
2010-09-09, 06:02 PM
Personally, I find all these puns quite admiral...

dgnslyr
2010-09-09, 07:39 PM
Oh dear, this is getting unbearable...

Crisis21
2010-09-09, 07:43 PM
Personally, I find all these puns quite admiral...

That sounds like a Major Generalization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_general_%28United_States%29).

Marnath
2010-09-09, 07:52 PM
Oh dear, this is getting unbear (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140757&highlight=Bear+bearington)able...

FTFY :smallwink:

Yana
2010-09-09, 08:00 PM
That sounds like a Major Generalization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_general_%28United_States%29).

Darn it! I wanted to use General Lization to lay down the arena law!

Stabber
2010-09-09, 08:30 PM
Belakar is the best part of the comic......The giant would never dare to kill such a mighty personna.

seraine
2010-09-09, 08:40 PM
The Major Ity of you have awful puns.

Marnath
2010-09-09, 08:41 PM
Belakar is the best part of the comic......The giant would never dare to kill such a mighty personna.

I guess you haven't heard then..Belkar's time is almost up. :smallwink:

rewinn
2010-09-09, 09:15 PM
He's the absolute despot of The Playground, a.k.a. Tsar.

Within his sphere, a TsarGiant outranks any officer!

Kish
2010-09-09, 10:02 PM
By all means, tell him that.

JoeSkull
2010-09-09, 11:27 PM

You know, its statements like that which probably make him want to do it even more.

Elite
2010-09-09, 11:57 PM
oh god my ears! these puns really belong in Dominic Deegan.

meh, I'm surprised this thread isn't locked or moved by now.

Pyron
2010-09-10, 12:26 AM

You'll want to speak with Major Disappointment, two doors down the left.

Crisis21
2010-09-10, 12:28 AM
You'll want to speak with Major Disappointment, two doors down the left.

And his superior, General Letdown.

Demonicbunny
2010-09-10, 11:22 AM

I heard that's the modern thing to do.

Morph Bark
2010-09-10, 11:32 AM

Now now, we can't be sure if there actually are that many tennants (http://www.recapist.com/files/images/61774_david-tennant-specs.jpg) on this forum...

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Of course the bad puns are Legion, that's why we need all the officers to keep them in line! Except Captain Oblivious, he just doesn't see the point.

kpenguin
2010-09-10, 05:30 PM
The Modguin: If this thread could keep on topic of the original discussion, that would generally be a good thing. Please don't derail threads.

Scarlet Knight
2010-09-11, 08:50 AM
bout time you showd up

but anyways, elan is a Pc bard, the rest are Npc bards, and the only bards we saw are elan and jenny, and we dont know jenny that much

Oh, I'm sorry. You want to go to "Elan is..." several threads down. This is Military Hum....um, a serious discussion on the pros & cons of Corporal Punishment. :smallwink:

Umbra
2010-09-11, 08:55 AM
He's the absolute despot of The Playground, a.k.a. Tsar.

Within his sphere, a TsarGiant outranks any officer!

I hope you're Tsar Castic.

Anyhow, to be on topic, shouldn't Belkar be dead by now anyhow? We know it's been a year since the siege of Azure City from Redcloak's speech.

Crisis21
2010-09-11, 09:33 AM

Anyhow, to be on topic, shouldn't Belkar be dead by now anyhow? We know it's been a year since the siege of Azure City from Redcloak's speech.

The prophecy was for Belkar to die before the end of the current year. It was made well after Azure city fell.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-09-11, 03:40 PM
The prophecy was for Belkar to die before the end of the current year. It was made well after Azure city fell.
The Battle of Azure City was fought only about a week after Southern New Year, which The Giant has confirmed as being the calendar used in the Oracle’s prophecy. The Oracle’s official prophecy was made months after the battle, but still within that year. The end of the current year from that prediction would therefore be only about a week before the 1-year anniversary of the Battle of Azure City.

No different than if right now I were to say, “I will lose 10 pounds by the end of the current year.” It would not give me a whole year to lose that weight. It would only give me until December 31 this year (by the Gregorian Calendar). Once 2011 arrives, the deadline will be past.

Crisis21
2010-09-11, 06:25 PM
The Battle of Azure City was fought only about a week after Southern New Year, which The Giant has confirmed as being the calendar used in the Oracle’s prophecy. The Oracle’s official prophecy was made months after the battle, but still within that year. The end of the current year from that prediction would therefore be only about a week before the 1-year anniversary of the Battle of Azure City.

No different than if right now I were to say, “I will lose 10 pounds by the end of the current year.” It would not give me a whole year to lose that weight. It would only give me until December 31 this year (by the Gregorian Calendar). Once 2011 arrives, the deadline will be past.
Oh, I'm aware. However, the Giant has given us the time remaining. Seven weeks, OotS time, as of this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html).

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-09-11, 07:25 PM
Oh, I'm aware. However, the Giant has given us the time remaining. Seven weeks, OotS time, as of this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html).
So what does the time between the Battle of Azure City and the official Belkar Death prophecy have to with anything?

Crisis21
2010-09-11, 07:58 PM
So what does the time between the Battle of Azure City and the official Belkar Death prophecy have to with anything?

Absolutely nothing. Which was my point in the first place.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-09-11, 08:26 PM
Absolutely nothing. Which was my point in the first place.
But you’re the one that said, “The prophecy was for Belkar to die before the end of the current year. It was made well after Azure city fell,” as if the time between events really mattered.

Crisis21
2010-09-11, 10:22 PM
But you’re the one that said, “The prophecy was for Belkar to die before the end of the current year. It was made well after Azure city fell,” as if the time between events really mattered.

No, I was responding to Umbra who said that since it had been over a year since Azure City fell, Belkar should already be dead. I was pointing out that the time in between didn't matter. Or at least trying to.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-09-12, 10:41 PM
No, I was responding to Umbra who said that since it had been over a year since Azure City fell, Belkar should already be dead. I was pointing out that the time in between didn't matter. Or at least trying to.
He wasn’t commenting on the time between the battle and the prophecy. Just the time between the battle and now.

Regarding which…

Umbra, see my link to the Giant’s post for the official word on timing. Belkar still has a few weeks. It hasn’t been a full year since the Anniversary yet.

Crisis21
2010-09-12, 10:54 PM
He wasn’t commenting on the time between the battle and the prophecy. Just the time between the battle and now.

Regarding which…

Umbra, see my link to the Giant’s post for the official word on timing. Belkar still has a few weeks. It hasn’t been a full year since the Anniversary yet.

Exactly, but he was saying it as if the prophecy had been made around the time of the battle.

mootoall
2010-09-13, 12:36 AM
I think he said somewhere that it's only about five or six weeks now ...

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-09-13, 08:05 AM
Exactly, but he was saying it as if the prophecy had been made around the time of the battle.
No he didn’t. He didn’t say anything about the timing of the prophecy. All there is is the implicit acknowledgement that the prophecy was made in the same calendar year as the Battle of Azure City.

Quote in question:

Nothing about the official prophecy being made near the Battle. (Though it should be noted the first few unofficial hints—the lines about birthday cakes and IRAs—were actually made several days before the Battle, on the Order’s first visit to Sunken Valley.)

I think he said somewhere that it's only about five or six weeks now ...
Should be about five. See the post from The Giant that I linked to. Giant says it was two weeks between Roy’s seven weeks comment and the Order poking around desert cities for Girard. It hasn’t been more than a couple days since then.

Crisis21
2010-09-13, 09:44 AM
No he didn’t. He didn’t say anything about the timing of the prophecy. All there is is the implicit acknowledgement that the prophecy was made in the same calendar year as the Battle of Azure City.

I never said he did, I used the phrase 'as if'. My point was that the implicit acknowledgment you just mentioned did not necessarily match up with the facts as presented in-comic.

As far as the hints from the first visit go, they could be interpreted any number of ways.

Umbra
2010-09-13, 09:00 PM
Oh, I apologize. I must have misremembered; I thought that Belkar received the prophecy before the war, during their first visit to the Oracle. Again, my mistake.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Nimrod's Son
2010-09-13, 09:50 PM
Oh, I apologize. I must have misremembered; I thought that Belkar received the prophecy before the war, during their first visit to the Oracle. Again, my mistake.
The Oracle did drop hints (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0329.html) that Belkar would die soon during the Order's first visit but because of the memory charm they were quickly forgotten. The time-frame was only made official when the Oracle spoke to Roy's ghost. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html)

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-09-14, 05:44 AM
I never said he did, I used the phrase 'as if'. My point was that the implicit acknowledgment you just mentioned did not necessarily match up with the facts as presented in-comic.
Uh, the official prophecy was made the same calendar year as the Battle. How does the acknowledgement of that not match up with the fact?

Crisis21
2010-09-14, 06:06 AM
Uh, the official prophecy was made the same calendar year as the Battle. How does the acknowledgement of that not match up with the fact?

He used the words 'over a year'.

hamishspence
2010-09-14, 06:06 AM

Not only the same calendar year- but both (right after the New Year) were very close to each other:

Estimates of the timeline:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35936&page=7

And The Giant:

2.) The Oracle is using the Southern calendar in his prediction to Roy. Meaning that the "seven weeks" Roy talks about is the time until the new New Year, exactly one year from the celebration seen back in Azure City.

3.) All other references are to relative time...no matter which calendar Redcloak uses, a year is a year, and during the Gobbotopia scenes he announced that it was six years until the one-year-anniversary of the battle. Since the battle took place about a week after the New Year, that means two weeks have passed since Roy's "seven weeks" comment--a few days to travel to Sandsedge, a week spent searching the desert, and a few days looking around the cities on the continent.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-09-14, 03:35 PM
He used the words 'over a year'.
He said now is over a year since the Battle, with Redcloak’s speech as the guideline, not the prophecy.

Yeah, his reckoning was incorrect, since Redcloak’s speech was six weeks before the anniversary. It’s still been not quite a year since the Battle, but there’s been no reference to the timing of the prophecy.

Not only the same calendar year- but both (right after the New Year) were very close to each other:
By “Official Prophecy,” I mean the one made under the special light to Roy after Haley, Belkar, and Celia’s visit. Y’know, 3 months after the Battle + however long it took for those three to reach the Oracle.

The_Admiral
2010-09-17, 04:28 AM

Oi thats my name

blackjack217
2010-09-18, 05:55 PM
Oi thats my name
what a Colonel O'wisdom

Forealms
2010-09-18, 10:23 PM
The Modguin: If this thread could keep on topic of the original discussion, that would generally be a good thing. Please don't derail threads.

Yes, Sir! Zero fun, Sir! :smalltongue:

I don't think the time frame since the original prophecy could have been longer than eight months. One of the bigger problems we have is not knowing how long they were at sea, or how long it took for Haley & Co. to get to Greysky City, or any number of other time spans.

Crisis21
2010-09-18, 11:22 PM
Yes, Sir! Zero fun, Sir! :smalltongue:

I don't think the time frame since the original prophecy could have been longer than eight months. One of the bigger problems we have is not knowing how long they were at sea, or how long it took for Haley & Co. to get to Greysky City, or any number of other time spans.

All we need to know is that the remaining time is no more than seven weeks as of the end of Book 4.

La Chatte Noire
2010-09-21, 10:35 PM
There's gotta be a Colonel of Truth in all these posts on Belkar's time left...

Aside from all the Major General-izations, I mean.