PDA

View Full Version : RP Queston (Need Advice)

Abaddon87
2010-09-07, 06:06 PM
Im starting a game soon and I will be playing a character a ways off of what I usually play. Normally, I play an intelligent character and classes that benefit from a high INT score (wizard, warblade, rouge etc). For this game though, Im going another way. I'll be playing a lvl 4 CN Human Mineral Warrior Barbarian in a Forgotten Realms game.

Stats:

STR 20
DEX 10
CON 20
INT 10
WIS 6
CHA 6

I didnt want to take an INT penalty and loose skill points and I also have the Steadfast Determination feat so WILL saves are actually as good as my FORT saves. I just dont know how I should RP him...

Any ideas for how someone who has no common sense and lacks a personality would act?

DMfromTheAbyss
2010-09-07, 06:19 PM
Personality wise you still have some options. You might not be brilliant by any stretch but there are a few ways I'd suggest.. others will doubtless expand the list.

*Slow thinking but not stupid, dependable, takes things perhaps a bit too literally. Like a talking brick wall with feelings.(makes sense with race more than Alignment)

*Acter not a thinker, quick to head off, doesn't care so much about the why or details. May not consider the ramifications of his actions, but isn't dumb, he just thinks exactly 1 move ahead, not 3-5 like normal or 10-20 like a wizard. (Fit's alighnment and class)

* A "Brilliant" Bestial force of nature. Actualy capable of a small manner of reasoning before turning loose his rage on anything in his way. (Fits your stats best but may lead to you needing a handler character to help guide your actions to ones useful to the party.)

There are lots of ways of interpreting stats to character personality so there are lots of options.. just pick ones that make him fun to play.:smallbiggrin:

Kinsmarck
2010-09-07, 06:20 PM
Must...not....make political joke. Board rules...strangling... X_x

In all seriousness, he need not 'have no personality.' As has been stated many times over, an INT of 10 is the human average, and while not particularly eccentric, the average person is full of little quirks and traits that make them unique. With a CHA score as low as 6, I'd play a character who's...well, tactless, to be nice, and either a social idiot or just plain rude to be frank. With CON and STR scores that high, CON in particular, I could picture a character with a 'hit me, I dare you' sort of attitude, and may look down on others for not being as tough as him.

Not the nicest guy around, I know, but it's what came to mind. :smalltongue:

Abaddon87
2010-09-07, 06:28 PM
Yea thats what I was leaning towards. Kinda pictured him as a Ben Grimm kinda guy. Big, strong, tough and he knows it.

I like the thought of being a bit of a loose cannon DMftAbyss. The "acter not a thinker" as well. Fits with the Barbarian side. I did plan on going into Frenzied Berserker so that would coincide nicely!

Savannah
2010-09-07, 06:49 PM
With a CHA score as low as 6, I'd play a character who's...well, tactless, to be nice, and either a social idiot or just plain rude to be frank.

Even worse, with a Wis of 6 as well, you've got a guy who's tactless and doesn't realize it (Wis covers Sense Motive, which I tend to interpret as knowing how others are feeling).

Hawriel
2010-09-07, 11:51 PM
DMfromtheabyss gave out three great options for RPing what you mechanicly created.

Desiding on the culter he came from, his personality and motivations will expand your options.

Xefas
2010-09-08, 12:03 AM
Especially with the Chaotic Neutral alignment (Chaotic tends to be more "Individual" oriented rather than "Group" oriented), your character is likely to never think about anything in such a way that does not directly involve them.

Wisdom is your empathy and awareness. You have none of that. Charisma is your ability to effect others socially. You have none of that (keep in mind that Intimidation is Charisma based, so a lack of Charisma implies also a lack of ability to intimidate others - either because you're meek, or sound silly, or just because you never think to actually act scary).

Your character may have to be reminded frequently that his actions effect people other than himself. He probably won't take others' feelings into account, even if just because he has so much trouble figuring out what other peoples' feelings are.

Obviously training in certain skills could help, but that would suggest more that the character has worked to overcome their deficiencies.