PDA

View Full Version : The Floor is Now Magnets

HenryHankovitch
2010-09-07, 06:29 PM
I've been thinking of a dungeon hazard to use in my game--an area in which the floor (and walls? Ceiling?) is made up of some powerful magnetic material. Like, an iron-rich flow of magma which has "naturally" or magically become highly magnetic.

So I'm thinking...when they enter, it has no obvious effect, except that those wearing heavy, ferrous armor feel slightly more burdened. Those with greaves might feel "sticky." But anyone who drops a weapon, or actually comes within a couple inches of a wall/floor while wearing armor, finds the metal stuck. Strength check to un-stick, increasing based on weapon category (light/medium/two-handed) or armor weight (I'm thinking of simply using the armor check number directly here, as long as the armor is metallic. Like, DC 10+armor check penalty to stand up from prone unaided.

This room will not be complete without some sort of creatures or NPCs who can do all kinds of disarming/tripping tomfoolery. Haven't decided what, yet.

Any thoughts? Ways to make this more elaborate, creative, or just plain difficult?

Snake-Aes
2010-09-07, 06:42 PM
Sounds fun. The armor bit can be more or less this

1) Metal items have their weight increased by 10%. (if tracking the backpack takes too long, just apply this to the metallic armors, weapons and shields they carry)
2) Standing up from prone, for metal armored characters, requires a strength check (dc: 10 + armor's check penalty)
3) If the new weight is enough to encumber the character, his speed drops by an additional 5 feet. (this one is the sticky greaves)
----
Dropping weapons shouldn't be a common occurrence. Maybe a guaranteed result from fumbling?
Retrieving metallic items from the ground (like weapons) requires a dc 13 strength check. (This one shouldn't be a big deal. If such dc is insignificant to everyone, you might as well not implement this)
Projectile/Thrown weapons could have their range increment reduced.

Savannah
2010-09-07, 06:44 PM
First thought: a monk luring an iron golem into the room would be hilarious. From a player's perspective, I would totally try to use the room against more heavily armed opponents.

HenryHankovitch
2010-09-07, 06:50 PM
Dropping weapons shouldn't be a common occurrence. Maybe a guaranteed result from fumbling?

This is specifically why I was thinking of having tripping and disarming enemies in the room. Whip wielders, or dudes with bronze spiked chains. An annoying sprite that keeps greasing people's weapons. That sort of thing.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-07, 06:51 PM
Then definitely keep the test there. A DC 10-15 should be problematic enough unless you snuck in a half dragon in there. Failing wastes the action.

Admiral Squish
2010-09-07, 06:53 PM
I's say go with the first suggestion, but make the room difficult terrain for those with metal greaves.

Beorn080
2010-09-07, 06:56 PM
You know, Iron left in a strong magnetic field will become magnetic as well. If the fighter or cleric is in the habit of sleeping in full plate, have him stuck to the floor if he rests in the dungeon. Preferably near the heavy magnetic rooms, but I doubt even the standard fighter will be silly enough to sleep in one of those in full armor.

PapaNachos
2010-09-07, 06:58 PM
Add a rust monster for hilarity.

ericgrau
2010-09-07, 07:49 PM
Man there was something like this in 2e (or was it another fantasy game?) but apparently it hasn't carried over to 3e. Basically what you're looking for is a cave with natural lodestone deposits. The chunk of ore becomes a gigantic natural magnet buried in the ground. Depending where it is the PCs get pulled towards that side of the tunnel. The closer they get the stronger the field will be (until they're all the way in and the field is at max strength), so unless they're running in they should notice the challenge in time to avoid it. Depending on the strength of the magnetic field there should be some strength DC for moving, holding your weapon, etc., with faster speeds the better you beat the DC. Also check out the PHB rules for removing armor.

You know, Iron left in a strong magnetic field will become magnetic as well. If the fighter or cleric is in the habit of sleeping in full plate, have him stuck to the floor if he rests in the dungeon. Preferably near the heavy magnetic rooms, but I doubt even the standard fighter will be silly enough to sleep in one of those in full armor.
It becomes magnetic instantly in a strong magnetic field, and gets pulled to it instantly. With some effort you can make it stay magnetic even after leaving the field, but my main point is that screwing over the PCs with bad science doesn't just annoy physicists, it also gives the PCs the old "something you couldn't possibly know about or prepare for is screwing you over and taking you out of the game, haha!" Please don't do that.

hobbitkniver
2010-09-07, 07:59 PM
A long thin hallway full of traps (one grease and other hindering effects. Then lots of damagers) with a wall of spikes coming from the back.

Okay, maybe too mean. As long as you scale it to your party's capabilities it should be fine.

Gray Mage
2010-09-07, 08:20 PM
Also eletric spells like thunderbolt and orb of eletricity have some sort of penalty, in DC and to hit, respectively, because they will tend to go to the floor/ceiling.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-07, 08:26 PM
Also eletric spells like thunderbolt and orb of eletricity have some sort of penalty, in DC and to hit, respectively, because they will tend to go to the floor/ceiling.

Well, with currents generating a magnetic field, you could give electric spells a knockback effect.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-07, 08:32 PM
There's the psychomagnetism discipline (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3673356#post3673356) for starters.

However, I'd probably just make the area a field of armor lock (from Complete Scoundrel). That'd probably emulate it pretty well.

Swooper
2010-09-07, 09:40 PM
Stunned
A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).
Now just put some stunning traps and/or monsters with stunning abilities in there. :smallbiggrin:

gomipile
2010-09-07, 10:14 PM
If I did this, I'd have it affect ferrous metals only. I'm not sure if adamantine is ferrous, but I'd say mithral is right out, and would likely not be magnetic.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-07, 10:33 PM
I've been thinking of a dungeon hazard to use in my game--an area in which the floor (and walls? Ceiling?) is made up of some powerful magnetic material. Like, an iron-rich flow of magma which has "naturally" or magically become highly magnetic.

Well, if you invoke magic, nothing can stop you. But . . .the more heated a material, the less magnetized it becomes. At what is known as the Curie temperature, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curie_temperature) the material becomes completely demagnetized. The Curie temperture for iron is far below its melting point, making this pretty much impossible without invoking magic. Also, it's more then a bit of a **** move, as it will affect some characters a lot, anyone in metal armour, while others not at all, many arcane magic users and most druids. Unless you're going for an Eigen Plot to give such a character a moment to shine, and even then be careful, it would feel like your punishing players for playing certain classes certain ways.
Oh and (gets out Catgirl killin' knife) it's BAD SCIENCE!

2xMachina
2010-09-07, 10:45 PM
Some steels are not magnetic either.

Dr Bwaa
2010-09-07, 11:07 PM
Relevant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs) (very tangentially).

Their first hint when they are about to enter the place should be a starved, dead Rust Monster stuck to the ceiling :smalltongue:

Tyndmyr
2010-09-08, 12:44 AM
This room will not be complete without some sort of creatures or NPCs who can do all kinds of disarming/tripping tomfoolery. Haven't decided what, yet.

Rust monsters dragons, obviously.

SilverLeaf167
2010-09-08, 12:45 AM
A long thin hallway full of traps with a wall of spikes coming from the back.

What about a magnetic wall of spikes? :smallamused:
The heavily armored PCs could be thrown into the spikes at high speeds, unless they succeed on a Strength or Balance check (or make up some other way).

Tyndmyr
2010-09-08, 12:55 AM
Magnets are fun.

Entertaining trap/room/thingie in magnetic area. Square represents magnets, x represents the unwary player, and o represents large metal balls.

o___[]oox

Bait the trap, by having a treasure chest or the like near the right side. Put spikes on the wall far to the right. When a character comes to close, he gets stuck, and needs to make a DC 25 strength check to pull free. Others can assist only from a distance, with ropes, etc.

Here's the fun bit. On the far side, place a plaque, which can be easily deciphered by the players to read "to remove far ball from device, push this ball."

Those of you who are familiar with physics already understand exactly what will happen when this is done. For added speed and hilarity, add additional ___[]oo sections in between. In the interests of promoting catgirl deaths, this does work in real life as well, as I've tested it in miniature.