PDA

View Full Version : Changeling: The Dreaming

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-07, 11:00 PM
So I just accidentally picked up a copy of Changeling: The Dreaming, 1st edition, and I'm curious as to your opinions. (The accidental part, by the way, was the edition.) Is this any good? How does it differ from 2nd (not that I've looked through that)?

Thanks!

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-09-07, 11:54 PM
Well, I don't know anything about the differences between editions, and I've never actually played in a game of it, but reading through the rulebook I got the impression that it's one of those games with a great concept and a (relatively) poor execution. I like White Wolf's system and everything, but the mechanics for Changelings' powers seemed unnecessarily clunky. However, the overall tone of wonder, nostalgia, and the fight against banality is very intriguing to me.

Short version: If you managed to get a copy of the book, good on you. It's worth having. My two cents, spend as you like.

Delcan
2010-09-08, 12:11 AM
Mongoose has it right. Excellent world, excellent mood and concept, but unnecessarily clunky mechanics. Combat in particular, and the uses of Glamour, are a bit overcomplicated and lead to situations where characters are doing a whole lot of nothing despite spending every resource they have.

One idea me and my gamer wife have had is to take the world and concept of Changeling: the Dreaming, and bringing it forward to the mechanics of nWoD's Changeling: the Lost - effectively overwriting the fae-as-horrific-captors mood and replacing it with the fae-as-living-fantasy idea. We haven't tried it yet, but it could be worth a shot.