PDA

View Full Version : GitP PrC XXI: Voting Thread!

ErrantX
2010-09-07, 11:33 PM
Alright, sorry it's a little late, but let's get rolling! Everyone gets a vote for their favorite class, and if you're unsure, click the link in my sig (it's the up to date sig) for the contest. If there is a tie, I am the tie breaking vote. May the best class win!

Voting closes on the 17th!

{table=head]Author|Class|Votes
unosarta|Child of Petriel|0
Hyooz|Sylvan Scribe|0
Glimbur|River Warden|0
zagan|Spirit Manifester|0
Zom B|Astral Mage|0
JoshuaZ|Ecopathic Savant|0
The Vorpal Tribble|Xenoxera|0
DragonWraith|Deadwood|0
Cidolfas|Appointer of the Red Lotus|0
PId6|Child of the Seelie Court|0[/table]

Above are that qualified, so let's get the voting going!

-X

Vaynor
2010-09-08, 02:16 AM
I had a lot of trouble deciding between VT and DragoonWraith's entries, but I think my love of psionics won out in the end. I really like how you worded your entry, DW. There were a lot of good entries this round! :smallsmile:

zagan
2010-09-08, 03:24 AM
Lot of good work once again. Finally I opted for the Ecopathic Savant, I always have a weak spot for dual progression prc and it's very well done.

Xzoltar
2010-09-08, 05:53 AM
I vote for the Spirit Manifester from Zagan it was a very close tie with Xenoxera from The Vorpal Tribble.

I like how the Spirits give a Positive and a Negative effect at the same time. It also fit really well with the theme of the contest.

Good Job everyone, I wish I had time to finish mine.

Fable Wright
2010-09-08, 06:20 AM
I really liked alot of the classes, but deadwood won in the end. It was an original presentation, and I like playing necromancy/nature themed characters. Good work. :smallsmile:

JoshuaZ
2010-09-08, 09:56 AM
It was a close tie between the Xenoxera and the Deadwood, but the Deadwood won out for my vote.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-08, 10:15 AM
Appointer of the Red Lotus and River Warden is actually what grabbed my attention. I loved the mechanics in both.

Finally settled on the former. The idea of a druidic assassin appealed.

The Sylvan Scribe was also a contender. Made me blink in how certain thematics were so close to my own entry, but we went our separate ways elsewhere, so it was all good. Can definitely imagine someone multiclassing with both.

DragoonWraith
2010-09-08, 04:20 PM
I voted for the Sylvan Scribe.

Ultimately, I feel almost bad for voting in this contest. The theme is very much not to my taste; I really don't like Druids or Rangers. A lot of the classes were extensions of such bases, and therefore fairly uninteresting to me. I apologize for this bias; I've done my best to ignore it, but ultimately I can't vote for something that doesn't interest me. Quite a few were, as far as I can tell, very well done, but I could never see myself playing one.

I also really liked the Nexus as a concept, but have some uncertainties about its class features, and the Orsa fluff really interested me but I didn't care for the Xenoxera class as much (again, due to it being primarily Druidic - I know it says that most Xenoxera are Archivists, but Xenoxera get considerable benefits from a Druid entry and you get Druid-like class features).

The Tygre
2010-09-08, 04:33 PM
Second for having to be forced to choose between DragoonWraith and Vorpal Tribble's stuff.

mrcarter11
2010-09-09, 12:26 AM
Just so I know why. Is there any reason the Nature’s Betrayers isn't in the voting?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-09, 09:50 AM
Just so I know why. Is there any reason the Nature’s Betrayers isn't in the voting?

Since the fluff at the bottom was unfinished he had to disqualify you.

I know a lot of you may balk at this, but half of you didn't fulfill the contest requirements visa vi the fluff requirements. Sorry guys, but I can't put you in.

2) Entries must include name, complete class, and fluff, combat related and role playing related. Incomplete entries at the deadline will be disqualified.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-09, 10:47 PM
the Orsa fluff really interested me but I didn't care for the Xenoxera class as much (again, due to it being primarily Druidic - I know it says that most Xenoxera are Archivists, but Xenoxera get considerable benefits from a Druid entry and you get Druid-like class features).
Just thought I might mention the only druid class features you get is an animal companion equivalent. Empathy with oozes and aberrations is only vaguely reminiscent. Both are gotten 1st level.

None of the rest of the abilities is even vaguely druidic.

DragoonWraith
2010-09-10, 12:42 AM
The things you mentioned, plus the shapeshift variant. I dunno. This is kind of what I meant, I guess, about not feeling right about voting - I get kind of "turned off" by the association with Druids.

Paladins have a similar effect.

Not really sure why. I don't really have any problem with either from a fluff perspective... though I disliked both in, for example, Diablo II, for whatever that's worth.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-10, 11:12 AM
Wow, complete opposite for me. Druids and rangers are 2nd and 3rd place in my favorite base classes (not including psionics).

Any particular reason for the dislike?

As for the shapeshift stuff, I dunno, I'm just using the basic rules of an alternative system so I can get a 24 hour shapeshift to go along with the fluff. It's not really... druidy. Just shapeshifty.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-09-10, 11:17 AM
Since the fluff at the bottom was unfinished he had to disqualify you.

ErrantX, if you're really enforcing this rule, you should make it more apparent at the beginning. For many contests a bunch of us skimped on the fluff, or didn't write out every fluff category (I flat-out refused a couple of them, as I don't think a few of them are important)...and you need to expand on how much and which parts are mandatory, or if all of them are. Precedent says it's not needed, which I feel is messing some people up.

ErrantX
2010-09-10, 11:19 AM
ErrantX, if you're really enforcing this rule, you should make it more apparent at the beginning. For many contests a bunch of us skimped on the fluff, or didn't write out every fluff category (I flat-out refused a couple of them, as I don't think a few of them are important)...and you need to expand on how much and which parts are mandatory, or if all of them are. Precedent says it's not needed, which I feel is messing some people up.

Not including any is automatic disqualification. Beyond that, I'm not asking for everything to be written out in full detail. But give me at least the in game stuff. Background, history, something. If I don't have anything, it's automatic disqualification no matter how good your class is.

-X

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-09-10, 11:40 AM
Not including any is automatic disqualification. Beyond that, I'm not asking for everything to be written out in full detail. But give me at least the in game stuff. Background, history, something. If I don't have anything, it's automatic disqualification no matter how good your class is.

-X

Sounds good. All I'm saying is that you might want to put that in the first post. :smallbiggrin:

DragoonWraith
2010-09-10, 12:17 PM
Wow, complete opposite for me. Druids and rangers are 2nd and 3rd place in my favorite base classes (not including psionics).

Any particular reason for the dislike?
No, none whatsoever that I can determine. I even enjoy Celtic mythology, on which a lot of the Druid stuff is based. I really don't know.

As for the shapeshift stuff, I dunno, I'm just using the basic rules of an alternative system so I can get a 24 hour shapeshift to go along with the fluff. It's not really... druidy. Just shapeshifty.
Except Druids are sort of indelibly linked to shapeshifting...

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-10, 12:23 PM
Except Druids are sort of indelibly linked to shapeshifting...
*shrugs*

So are psychometabolic psionicists :smallwink:

I'd've thought the elegance would get an appreciative nod.

DragoonWraith
2010-09-10, 01:06 PM
Oh, like I said, I loved the fluff, but just... not the class.

Also, don't get me wrong - I really do like the Sylvan Scribe.

Hyooz
2010-09-10, 09:33 PM
Yeah, VT, no fair trying to steal one of my precious few votes :smalltongue:

DragoonWraith
2010-09-10, 10:22 PM
A question: I'm not sure the votes in the poll match the votes in the thread (people voting in the poll before posting, presumably). Do anonymous votes count? I'm somewhat of two minds on the issue, myself.

JoshuaZ
2010-09-10, 10:34 PM
A question: I'm not sure the votes in the poll match the votes in the thread (people voting in the poll before posting, presumably). Do anonymous votes count? I'm somewhat of two minds on the issue, myself.

It seems that many people are voting without commenting on the thread. I don't see any reason why people should have to be public about their votes? What is your reasoning for why it might make sense to have that?

Glimbur
2010-09-10, 10:36 PM
Votes aren't actually anonymous. Click on one of the numbers on the right side of the poll and you can see all the names.

Vaynor
2010-09-11, 03:44 AM
Votes aren't anonymous, but there's still no reason to post in the thread except to talk about who you voted for and why.

DragoonWraith
2010-09-11, 09:55 AM
It seems that many people are voting without commenting on the thread. I don't see any reason why people should have to be public about their votes? What is your reasoning for why it might make sense to have that?
Well, because I like to see why people are voting for what they're voting for, and it adds a certain amount of camaraderie I think. On the other hand, the advantages of anonymous voting is pretty obvious.

But I dunno. When I submitted the Bound for Live By the Sword, I didn't win, but Djinn voted for me. That made me really happy!

Votes aren't actually anonymous. Click on one of the numbers on the right side of the poll and you can see all the names.
Votes aren't anonymous, but there's still no reason to post in the thread except to talk about who you voted for and why.
Neat!

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-12, 11:35 AM
I remember back to a time when one could post their own polls, provide links in them, and do all sorts of fancy stuff.

*takes 1d6 nostalgic non-lethal*

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-09-12, 11:50 AM
But I dunno. When I submitted the Bound for Live By the Sword, I didn't win, but Djinn voted for me. That made me really happy!

Be happy again. :smallbiggrin:

Some very good entries this time around, but I liked the concept and execution of the Deadwood best. That said, a few comments.

First off, the strange voice you used in writing it made the class a real pain to read. I'd recommend sticking with a normal mechanical presentation, as some of your wording was highly casual and just plain irritated me. Might be a personal preference, but I was this close to changing my vote based on ease of reading alone. It was a creative presentation to be sure, but I ultimately think it wasn't successful, as it detracted from my understanding and enjoyment of reading through the class: when I see mechanics, I expect mechanics with maybe a single sentence of fluff. This was some sort of amalgamation of instructions, fluff, and mechanics, and I didn't like it at all. Again, personal preference, but I do like to be thorough in my critiques.

Secondly, giving DR/epic before, say, 20th level is something I'd avoid, especially since most games never bring out the epic material. Slashing and Adamantine is enough, I think, since the combination is still fairly uncommon, and it's better than the Slashing/Magic of the previous levels.

Additionally, giving the Deadwood bonuses to Int, Wis, and Cha from aging doesn't make sense...you aren't aging. Only your body is aging. You don't gain insight into the world from being killed faster than you otherwise would: you gain it from spending time in the world.

To replace those bonuses I suggest you remove, I'd recommend giving the Deadwood a "phantom" Constitution score, or some similar means of gaining additional HP although undead. Seems an undead plant would have a LOT more durability than the fragile collection of bones and dessicated flesh that most Liches are composed of.

DragoonWraith
2010-09-12, 12:16 PM
Be happy again. :smallbiggrin:
Whee!!

Some very good entries this time around, but I liked the concept and execution of the Deadwood best. That said, a few comments.
I do agree; despite my comments about my personal preferences, I never intended to say that any class was in any way bad; indeed, quite the opposite, from what I can tell.

First off, the strange voice you used in writing it made the class a real pain to read. I'd recommend sticking with a normal mechanical presentation, as some of your wording was highly casual and just plain irritated me. Might be a personal preference, but I was this close to changing my vote based on ease of reading alone. It was a creative presentation to be sure, but I ultimately think it wasn't successful, as it detracted from my understanding and enjoyment of reading through the class: when I see mechanics, I expect mechanics with maybe a single sentence of fluff. This was some sort of amalgamation of instructions, fluff, and mechanics, and I didn't like it at all. Again, personal preference, but I do like to be thorough in my critiques.
Reasonable; I don't think I'll do it again. It was an experiment, one that was actually a lot of fun, but I generally agree with you; this makes things too difficult to read. That said, generally, the response was pretty positive; I honestly expected a lot more people to respond as you did, but a lot of people liked it *shrug*. You and zagan were the only ones who said you didn't like it.

Secondly, giving DR/epic before, say, 20th level is something I'd avoid, especially since most games never bring out the epic material. Slashing and Adamantine is enough, I think, since the combination is still fairly uncommon, and it's better than the Slashing/Magic of the previous levels.
Deadwood 10 cannot happen before ECL 20. Thus, you're getting it at 20th level. Seems perfectly appropriate.

Additionally, giving the Deadwood bonuses to Int, Wis, and Cha from aging doesn't make sense...you aren't aging. Only your body is aging. You don't gain insight into the world from being killed faster than you otherwise would: you gain it from spending time in the world.
True; I'll rewrite some of the fluff to say that your death and connection to the natural world grants you tremendous amounts of insight and experience with the world, aging your mind much as it ages your body.

But I do want to keep them there.

Ironically, despite popular opinion (my own included), scientific studies have shown no mental improvement due to age. Even in tests that you'd logically think would favor older persons - with more experience, on very experience-oriented tasks - younger people properly trained performed better than those who had been doing it for decades. And we're not talking about people with any mental problems (e.g. these were not Alzheimer's patients), just the effects of aging. *shrug*

To replace those bonuses I suggest you remove, I'd recommend giving the Deadwood a "phantom" Constitution score, or some similar means of gaining additional HP although undead. Seems an undead plant would have a LOT more durability than the fragile collection of bones and dessicated flesh that most Liches are composed of.
Bark is supposed to cover that, honestly. Still, the DR is less, numerically, than a Lich's, isn't it. The standard thing to do with Undead is to use Cha instead of Con, but that favors Cha-based casters rather heavily, no?

I'll give it some thought.

Fable Wright
2010-09-12, 03:44 PM
Why not make it their casting stat? Int for Int-based casters, Wis for Wis-based casters, and Cha for Cha-based casters.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-09-12, 03:46 PM
Deadwood 10 cannot happen before ECL 20. Thus, you're getting it at 20th level. Seems perfectly appropriate.

Well damn. You're right. I think the formatting of the prerequisites messed me up there, 'cause yep. It's right there in the text. My bad. :smallredface:

DragoonWraith
2010-09-12, 05:59 PM
Why not make it their casting stat? Int for Int-based casters, Wis for Wis-based casters, and Cha for Cha-based casters.
Because then it's Faerie Mysteries Initiate, generally considered one of the most OP feats out there.

Well damn. You're right. I think the formatting of the prerequisites messed me up there, 'cause yep. It's right there in the text. My bad. :smallredface:
Heh, I no doubt share the blame, considering the formatting of the text.

Fable Wright
2010-09-12, 06:17 PM
Then maybe 1/2 casting stat. Less powerful, but it gives you significantly more hitpoints than a lich. And not quote as OP.

FishAreWet
2010-09-13, 11:00 AM
Loved both psionic entries. Then I read Deadwood and was absolutely floored.

Bravo.

JoshuaZ
2010-09-14, 09:01 AM
Loved both psionic entries. Then I read Deadwood and was absolutely floored.

Bravo.

You mean I might actually have multiple votes if not for DragoonWraith? Curse you DragoonWraith! Curse you for filling your PrCs with so much awesome!

ErrantX
2010-09-18, 04:54 PM
Contest is complete! Congrats to DragoonWraith with his Deadwood!

Honorable mention to the Tribble for second place.

Good work everyone! Expect the next contest sometime today!

-X

DragoonWraith
2010-09-18, 05:10 PM
Thank you to everyone who voted, for Deadwood or for anything else! Excellent work all around, I think we can all agree on that.