PDA

View Full Version : Augment Crystals vs BPB enhancements

ffone
2010-09-08, 02:17 AM
MIC (Magic Item Compendium) introduces Augment Crystals (i.e. Materia). Each can be affixed to a weapon (or armor, for some), only one at a time, and some only to masterwork or magic weapons.

The 'lesser' energy assault crystals add 1d6 of an energy type (sounds familiar...), cost 3K, and can be added to mw (or thus magic) weapons.

So...the regular energy properties have the same effect (as far as I can tell), but can only be added to magic weapons, will cost 6K or more (being base-price-bonus-+1), and can't be swapped out.

So are the crystals just flat out better? Why would anyone want a +1 flaming weapon instead of a +1 with the fire energy crystal? Other than the opportunity cost of a crystal slot, of course (i.e. there might be even better crystals!)

There are some other things which seem like a steal - free action draw crystals for 300 gp (can be added to any weapon) - seems far better than the 10,000 gp glove of storing in the srd, or taking Quick Draw, unless you plan to throw a very large number of weapons. There's also a 4K crysal which grants this, plus free pickup within 30' (if you dropped it or were disarmed, etc.), plus the Returning property, for 4K

Do people think these are too good? A fair correction of formerly overpriced abilities? (In my experience players consider energy properties a staple but Return not worth it). Is it just an acknowledgement that weapons should get one base-price-bonus+1 ability at a flat rate and then start using the bonus-squared formula? DMs, do you let your players with srd-style energy weapons retcon or fudgecraft them into +1-with-crystal weapons?

Malbordeus
2010-09-08, 04:26 AM
I dont have a problem wiht them, they are useful certainly, but not the be-all and end-all of magic items. there are plenty of things they cant do.

if +D6 energy damage breaks the game at low-mid levels, the game probably wasnt meant to be... but its a nice boost to have, and means you can increase enhancement bonuses or add funky abilities that you may not have money for normally. also they allow flexibility, having a pouch of emergency situational crystals is a good idea if you suddenly run across things you normally couldnt handle.
not many of these crystals are useful to full casters (which are more powerful than melee charas who are going to abuse augment crystals) armour crystals, especially the ones that tag onto shields are handy, but again, non broken. they help shore up weakness in builds without being ridiculous, most have limitations, like amounts they can heal, or damage they can soak...

i like them :)

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-09-08, 05:17 AM
A fair correction of formerly overpriced abilities?

This one. Consider: Just in the core rules, you can either have a +5 flaming longsword for 72,000gp, using up a fairly big chunk of change...or you can buy a +1 flaming longsword for 8,000gp and have someone cast greater magic weapon on it. Heck, a CL 20 wand of GMW only costs 22,500gp to craft or 45,000gp to buy so even if you insist on casting GMW yourself, buying the +1 flaming weapon and a wand of GMW should last you 4-5 levels and actually saves you 19,000gp overall!

Weapons and armor are vastly overpriced. A +5 weapon is not worth 50,000gp, whether you're looking at it by itself or comparing it to other options--like the 100 CL 10 fireballs you can get from two wands with 5,000gp to spare, for one. Instead of an exponential cost, weapons and armor really should have had a flat price increase to start with. The devs made it exponential to prevent you from getting certain weapons too soon, but (A) they overvalued the weapon and armor abilities and (B) they could have come up with other ways to restrict you to level-appropriate gear (even something as simple as putting a note in the DMG saying "Hey DMs, don't let anyone get a +3 sword before level X").

true_shinken
2010-09-08, 09:27 AM
MIC (Magic Item Compendium) introduces Augment Crystals (i.e. Materia). Each can be affixed to a weapon (or armor, for some), only one at a time, and some only to masterwork or magic weapons.

I say no! Everyone knows materia in D&D is represented by runestaves (from the same book, even)! :smallsmile:

Hirax
2010-09-08, 10:14 AM
In one of the back sections of the MIC it explains why augment crystals were made about as clearly as one could want. They were indeed intended to reduce the cost of abilities.

Swooper
2010-09-08, 10:36 AM
Why would anyone want a +1 flaming weapon instead of a +1 with the fire energy crystal?
Because you can have both?