PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a bard

Talakeal
2010-09-08, 02:33 AM
Thanks guys, with the feats you pointed out I got everything I needed for the build except for a way to convert increased spellcasting levels from a PrC to increased bardic music ability?

Innis Cabal
2010-09-08, 02:44 AM
Dirgesinger, Libris Mortis.

Daelen
2010-09-08, 02:46 AM
There is the Dirgesinger out of Libris Mortis I believe. Since you're wanting to focus on music its a good one. It doesn't progress spellcasting, which does hinder you unfortunately. Levels stack for how often you can use Bardic music, but not for which bardic music abilities you have access to, as Dirgesinger has its own music abilities.

The capstone, and an awesome one flavor-wise at least, is that you can use bardic music to animate undead, using your character level as the HD cap.The undead retain subtype, class features, supernatural and spell-like abilities, and it remains animated as long as you play.

EDIT: Oh and its only 5 levels long, a definite plus.

RE-EDIT: Swordsage'd lol

gorfnab
2010-09-08, 03:21 AM
Bard 8/ Pale Master 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Pale Master 8
Bard 7/ Diresinger 2/ Pale Master 1/ Sublime Chord 2/ Pale Master 8
Bard 7/ Diresinger 2/ Pale Master 1/ Sublime Chord 1/ Pale Master 9
Requires the feat Arcane Disciple (CD): Necromancer Domain (ECS page 107) to get the spells necessary for Pale Master.

Talakeal
2010-09-08, 03:31 AM
I looked at both pale master and dire singer. While dirge singer is all right from a flavor perspective neither gives me anything I would want other than animate dead and don't advance my bardic music at all. Dirge singer is also limited to a single corpse at a time which dies the moment I stop singing, meaning I can't use it out of combat or do anything else while it is up.

Also, what are the sublime chorde levels for?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-09-08, 03:39 AM
As others have said, Libris Mortis contains the answers to your character concept, but I would avoid the Dirgesinger due to its loss of spellcasting. You can just take the feat Requiem from that book and your music will strengthen undead. It also contains the Corpsecrafter line of feats, definitely something you'd want to consider if you're going to be creating undead minions.

You can take the feat Arcane Disciple from Complete Divine for the Undeath domain and get access to Animate Dead, Create Undead, and Desecrate, among other spells. They're only usable 1/day but you shouldn't need any of them more often than that, and it's a more traditional route. Another option would be to use the Necropolitan template in LM to get Spellstitched from CA, it has no level adjustment but it's extremely expensive. That can give you Animate Dead as a spell-like ability, which means no costly material component. Yet another way would be to go something like Bard 8/ Ur-Priest 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Mystic Theurge 8. That gets 9th level divine spells and 4th-9th level Sorcerer/Wizard spells, which can give you all of the undead creation spells and support spells like Desecrate, plus undead specific buffs and even Awaken Undead. You can even mix that with the Necropolitan + Spellstitched trick for an extremely powerful character.

Edit: You'd have to use Savage Bard from UA/SRD to meet the base Fort save prerequisite for Ur-Priest.

gorfnab
2010-09-08, 03:51 AM
Also, what are the sublime chorde levels for?
9th level spells