PDA

View Full Version : In the Shadow of the Towers IC [Eberron 3.5]

OMG PONIES
2010-09-08, 05:54 AM
New case. Weird one.

The chief hadn't left too many details on the notes he had scrawled and left on your desks. That wasn't good; the shorter the memo, the more important the job. Your heels click, almost in time, as you make your way down the long, empty hallway to the chief's office. Once you all arrive, the chief is not at his desk. He is looking out the window, smoking a cigar.

http://i55.tinypic.com/xn5hk6.jpg

"Can you believe this damned rain?" he scowls, "it's like the city herself is weeping for our poor lost souls. People keep asking when it'll stop, but me? I hope it never does. Crime rate's down when it rains...except for this one. File's on the desk--take a look." Without looking at you, he motions towards a pile of documents and sketches laying on a grand mahogany desk. "There's been a high-profile murder, and let me warn you--it ain't pretty. Of course, murder never is, am I right?"

The stern half-elf laughs for the first time in a while, and a puff of smoke rises from his downturned mouth. He turns to greet you, and you see the wizened face of Caedmon Nightbreeze, creator of the Sharnian Unit of Investigative Tactics. He hand-picked all of you for the job, so his features are familiar to you--his dark, slicked-back hair with patches of gray at the temples, his hawklike nose, his leathery skin. He walks toward the desk, picks up a handful of the documents, and holds his arm out towards you. "Well, what's keeping you, sunshine?"

Obrysii
2010-09-08, 06:49 AM
The rain never bothered Tavo; his iron-worked body, black with some faint gold inlay and a rounded, smooth head suffered little in the splattering wetness, and he moved along with comfortable efficiency, wearing a simple robe with a pocket in it for his tiny softball-sized friend. The beholderkin poked the burnt-out eye from the pocket – the eye that Tavo used to send his spells further than they ordinarily ought to be capable of – and the tiny thing looked around.

The door was just up ahead, and the heavy hand of the Warforged gently poked the eye back inside. The familiar was an odd one, and he'd rather not draw attention to it immediately.

When the rest of his unit arrived, the wizard would join them inside, stepping with the usual heaviness of his kind, squashing slightly from the dampness.

“Forgive my delay,” the strangely mechanical voice said with a decidedly gender-neutral tone, “I will begin viewing the documents now.”

Lycar
2010-09-08, 06:14 PM
'Jonas the Mad' they called him. He started out as just Jonas, child of... but the, one day, the voice started talking. At first, poor lillte Jonas was just too afraid to listen. Nowadays, it is more like 'if I keep ignoring it, sure it will grow bored and go away eventually'. It hasn't worked the last quarter century. Give it another maybe.

Rain actually makes a walk in Sharn... interesting. The whole damn city is very 'interesting' in the sort of way that you need to keep your eyes open and constantly alert to avoid stepping off a poorly railed bridge or overpass.

Keeping low to the ground has it's own problems: Namely the stuff that fails staying up. And when it rains on the upper levels, it pours in the streets. When it pours on the upper levels...

Jonas wasn't quite sure what to think of the rain. It certainly made it more important to watch where one was going. But paying attention to walking means less talking. And less talking means a greater danger of accidentially listening to the voice. And if he would listen to it, it would win.

He couldn't have that, now could he...

The visions were probably a, let us say, desperate attempt to communicate with Jonas non-verbally. So far they only managed to make Jonas even more adamant in his decision not to listen.

Then again, the things the voice made him see were... well... the kind of things others could not see. And in some cases, would rather not have anyone see them.

"Like the face of the killer... you made me watch the whole thing again and again... until you got a good enough description to get the guy."

"Oh sorry, just thinking out aloud again. Yes, I will read the file later. So off to the scene, get my dose of scary scary sight again."

Jonas realized that he hadn't reached the chief's office right yet... but since it was a murder case (because, well, if it wasn't murder it usually was at least another sort of violent crime. The kind that left those psychic imprints that virtually jumped at him), there would be a scene. And there, a scene to watch in his mind's eye, forced upon him unbidden.

But so many secrets he had unearthed, sometimes literally, that they would not allow him to live in peace... too great a gift was his curse to those seeking the secrets he could see...

He wasn't the only person with psionic powers in the world, maybe the only one who was controlled by them rather then the other way around and didn't go mad. Well, not totally anyway...

Jonas had noticed Tavo walk up the corridor to the chief's office some way ahead of him. To be fair, it was hard not to notice the warforged. They were generally not intended for stealth, and to some of them, the very concept of hiding their presence or existence from other was an utterly alien concept.

"Heh, I just wish I could hide away where the voice in my head couldn't find me." he said to no-one in particular. At first his sudden outbursts and non-sequiturs had left a lot of turned heads and quirked eyebrows in his wake, but people eventually got used to it. People get used to everything eventually. Kinda like he had gotten used to the voice. Eventually.

With the same eventuality, Jonas arrived at the chief's office, just in time to catch him wax about the rain and it's effects on crime rates.

"What goes up must come down. Goes for water as well as everybody. Crime rates too? But what murderer cares for weather when the passion burns bright enough. Hah, but the brighter they burn, the easier for those who can see to see. That would be me again, yes? Don't worry, the hard cases are the clean kills, those without passion, those who barely give a ****. The others, they are easy... "

"Folder of file, eh? Yes I'll read it, then I'll weep it. Those bodies, sometimes they stay with me. In my dreams. I wonder... but you don't care do you? If you can't stop them, top them, at least bag them."

Jonas hesitated for a moment. Was this one of the rare moment where the voice had shut up for a moment, so that he himself could afford a Moment of Silence? Jonas listened, and in the awkward second that followed his latest outburst of rambling, he could actually hear the rain pour.

Jonas smiled.

Doombringer
2010-09-08, 06:47 PM
Sineth walked in dropping the hood from his weather grey stained cloak. The blonde haired male looked to the all to familiar half elf and smiled. "Well it seems that we have a slight predicament." He spotted Jonas and Tavos smiling. "Evening chaps."

A hand moved to push some of those damp locks from his brow as he moved to look over the file. Sineth's deep blue eyes observing what he could and taking in all the information to memory some communing with Boldrei might be in order shortly and the Gods generally did not want to be disturbed unless one had all the fact.

Sineth shifted in that armor adjusting himself and whiping off some more of the mud from it after walking all this long way. "So when shall we get started?" He looked around and then laughed. "Excuse my eagerness seems like we are still missing a few of our companions."

Anti-Luis
2010-09-08, 10:44 PM
A bald headed Dwarf with stubble for a beard barges into the room, still midway through taking off his soaking coat. It isn't until he approaches the table that you notice the fresh cut above his eyebrow. He lets the coat drop to the floor and reaches for the files.

"What we got here, Chief?" he says, eyes fixed on the papers. "Murder? Right... we're on it. Sorry I'm late, got into it a bit with some two-bit thief on the way in."

Djorn Stoneheart... wife left him a few months ago, but he was recently remarried. Unfortunately it was to the job and this damned city.

Rebis
2010-09-11, 03:16 PM
As Nightbreeze holds out the folders, his eyes flick about the room and he frowns, the cigar rolling to the other side of his mouth.
"Where in the hells is Ouroboros? He was supposed to be here along with the rest of you." The cigar rolls back to the right, clenched in his teeth. "He'd better not be off whorin' again. If I get my hands on his neck- Oh, hey chief."
Chief Nightbreeze stands in the doorway, a pile of flimsies tucked under an arm, hot mug of kaf clenched in his fist.
"That better not be one of my cigars," comes his voice, dull and flat and menacing. "I know you wouldn't pull something THAT stupid, Ouroboros."
And with that, the features off the chief behind the desk kind of slough, the slick black hair bleaching, lengthening, changing styles, the wrinkled skin smoothing itself, greying, his eyes going white, like quick-forming cataracts to finally settle upon glossy white orbs.
Rebis Ouroboros, the teams' resident changeling, slowly removes the cigar from his mouth and proffers it towards the chief.
"Sorry, boss. I saw you heading for the privies with a pile of flimsies under your arm and I figured, 'Well, looks like I know who I'm going to be in Who Shall I Be Today?'"

Chief Nightbreeze continues to glower at him.

"It's barely chewed, if that's any consolation..."

C'mon, guys! 'Like the city is weeping for its own lost souls?' That was CLASSIC The Chief!"

"Somebody? ...ANYBODY... help me out here."

Lycar
2010-09-12, 02:48 PM
Jonas still smiles as the changeling break his disguise, his antics a welcome distraction. But then again, everything is a welcome distraction...

"We can't trust our eyes and ears, what can we trust?
Our inner eye and ear?
What we hear
there is often but the voice
of our fear.
Still our choice.
Talking to ourselves that be.
A sign of - insanity?
Do we deceive ourselves, to what end?
To drive ourselves 'round the bend? "

Jonas chuckles. His own impromptu rhyming would make and true bard want to throttle him, still it is an excuse to talk and not to listen.

And not to think too much about how disturbing changelings really are if you think about it...

OMG PONIES
2010-09-13, 05:34 AM
Chief Nightbreeze gives Jonas a sideways glance, chomping on a fresh cigar. "I see you found the case files. I'll be damned if this one isn't weird. So, patrol gets called in by this terrified old woman at Kolare's apothecary. Says she smelled something in one of the upstairs apartments, and you know if she can smell it over all those swills and potions, it's gotta be something.

My patrol guys go up and find the body of a dead human woman, no older than twenty. Apparently, there's stuff written all over the walls, barely even legible. They go to ID her, but someone's carved her entire face off. They carved off her damn face! Anyway, only thing we have so far for identification is this tattoo on her neck. Take a look,"

The chief picks up one particular sheet of paper, bearing an artist's sketch. He goes to hand it to Jonas, but thinks twice and instead gives the page to Tavo.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2a7h4x3.jpg

Caedmon shakes his head and looks to the floor. "It's sad that someone would have to destroy something as beautiful as a young lady," he muses. "This world's already ugly enough. The scene's still undisturbed, if you want to head over."

Obrysii
2010-09-13, 07:55 AM
Tavo as of yet did not fully understand beauty - there was no formulation to be made regarding beauty; it was, entirely, within the eye of the beholder, and not like the one in his familiar pocket.

He leaned forward, his glowing eye sockets examining the tattoo, "It is not a dragonmark as I know it - though I could be mistaken. My data is somewhat out-of-date."

Now that he said it, he began to doubt himself. Doubt - emotions. The stuff his kind wasn't supposed to have, but there you go: regret, too, consumed him. And something else - rage, he thought - that made his sap boil over.

"We should go - see if there exists any lingering magics that can help us," he said at last.

Anti-Luis
2010-09-13, 11:10 PM
"Right... let's get this part over with, boys." Djorn says as he picks up his dripping coat off the floor and moves towards the door. "Can't leave the people in this city alone for a few minutes without someone murdering and writing gibberish on the walls. Story of my life..." his voice unravels into a series of mumbles and grunts as he walks out the door.

Doombringer
2010-09-14, 02:42 AM
Sineth looked to the others and nodded. "Yes we should get going." Sineth looked to the pictures one last time the nausea of the vile deeds sickened his stomach. He however felt rage boil inside him. "Quicker we get this over quicker we can get this scum off the street." Sineth stood and moved toward the door with the others after they decided to check the scence out. He himself was eager to see the bodies of course that was if the bodies were still there.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-16, 12:15 PM
Kolare's Apothecary

As you enter the apothecary, an unmistakable stench fills your nostrils. Even here, in the birthplace of perfumes and potions, the smell of death is wholly unique. It invades your senses, fighting out everything else. It overpowers all other thoughts as it gloats. It has claimed another, and one day it shall claim you too. Snapping back to reality, you all notice the chaos of the scene. The room lays in tatters, with items strewn everywhere. It seems there may have been a struggle.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/6/2/1275492871943/rock-star-hotels-trashed--006.jpg

In the center of the room lays the body--a lithe, young girl with the fire tattoo on her neck. Face gone. Scrawled in blood all over the walls are the ramblings of a mad man, presumably her killer. The penmanship is barely recognizable, perhaps due to the grim ink. Not a single verse is written in Common, though many other languages seem represented. Your eyes scan the writing, looking for flickers of familiarity. As you study the languages familiar to you, one word is readable among the haphazard phrases.

Read only if you speak a language other than Common:
For Draconic speakers only:
chosen
For Gnomish speakers only:
child
For Dwarven speakers only:
catapults
For Elven speakers only:
chosen
For Undercommon speakers only:
catastrophe
For Infernal speakers only:
commune
For celestial speakers only:
centuries

Not surprisingly, the writings on the wall seem incoherent. If they contain any clues, you'll have to dig for them. It's clear from the pooling of blood that the girl was killed in this room. The scene is hush with the macabre silence of the corpse--immune still from the hustle and bustle of nosy journalists and old Kolare himself. These may be the only minutes you have with the undisturbed crime scene.

As your begin your investigation, you all notice that, ever so faintly, a pattern has been traced on the floor in chalk (underneath the body). It swirls and laps over itself in a feat of impossible geometry, seeming more like a scribble than anything concrete.

Knowledge: arcana checks to investigate the pattern, Search checks to scan the room for evidence, Gather Information checks to see if there were are any witnesses outside, or any other skills/spells/powers you think may help you investigate a crime scene.

Obrysii
2010-09-16, 02:40 PM
It was times like this that Tavo was glad he didn't need to breath, and gladder yet to be incapable of throwing up – he was sure that if it was within his ability, he would be at this point. His eyes hardened, the brilliance of them sharpening to a cool glare, and he examined the area with a disturbed caution.

Stepping inside slowly, he withdrew his familiar – the many-eyed creature hovered free of him, and he spoke, “Search carefully – see if you can piece together the event.” He wasn't sure if his familiar had the ability to think that extensively, but being able to see in all directions would most certainly assist.

He searched and saw the pattern – something was off-color with that, beyond even the blood pooling sickly. Paying no attention to the scatching on the wall, he knelt and examined the pattern more thoroughly.

Knowledge (Arcana) check: 1d20+11=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2689887/)
Tavo's Search Check: 1d20+3=9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2689892/)
Familiar's Search Check: 1d20+6=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2689894/)

Doombringer
2010-09-17, 02:51 AM
Sineth moves over to the scribbles and mutter softly to himself..the writtens soon become readable to his eyes. "Well the writtings are confusion...but here is what they say." Sineth scribbles them down on a piece of parchment and heads over to the body. "I can commune with this girl if given time we can question here..though it would be limited." Sineth looks to the others and waits for the yes or no before pushing those gogles over his eyes and looking about the room once more.

Rolls:
Search
[roll0]

Spells Cast:
Casting Comprehend Languages to get the Languages so I can read the jibberish on the wall.
Casting Speak with Undead if the party wishes.

Anti-Luis
2010-09-17, 06:33 AM
"Holy Sovereign!" Djorn immediately turns his head at the sight of the girl. "I swear, this doesn't get any easier." After a quick scan of the rest of the room, he heads back towards the door. "Well... this seems to be out of my area..."

He looks back to see Sineth and Tavo getting to work. "Make it brief, Sineth. We wouldn't want to take up too much of her time. I'll... I'll go talk to the locals, maybe they saw something."

Gather Information: [roll0]

Doombringer
2010-09-17, 07:41 AM
Sineth frowned and looked to the others. "This woman is from a very important house..look here" He pointed to the wrist then frowned before looking to Djorn... "Djorn do not leave we have much to do...and I might need help questioning her..not everyday a woman from the House Cannith is killed." He frowned and slowly began to utter incantations preparing to speak with the woman with his friends.

Obrysii
2010-09-17, 09:59 AM
"This mark on the floor - it looks like a dragon mark, only it's more complex," Tavo said, standing, stepping back - trying to get a clearer thought. He looked to his familiar who turned up nothing.

Lycar
2010-09-17, 01:05 PM
Jonas, as usual, was waiting well outside the crime scene perimeter, muttering. As usual.

The idea was not to 'contaminate the crime scene' as his colleagues called it. Quite frankly, when the visions seized him, he did trash around a lot. And they had learned not to try and restrain him the hard way...

So he just waited until the others gave him the signal to come in and... 'do his thing'.

The waiting filled Jonas with a sort of apprehension usually reserved for soldiers who are about to enter combat. On the one hand, he hated the sudden, unbidden and nauseating assault of psychic impressions, imprinted into the very fabric of reality by the heat of the emotions that happened.

On the other hand, the experience always also was... exhilarating. Soldiers sometimes said that about a battle too. If they still were in a way to talk afterwards. At least his visions didn't kill him...

When the signal came that the initial investigation and corpse-questioning had been done, Jonas drew a deep breath and approached the scene.

"Very well then, let me see what there is to see for the inner eye, let me see if the dead men lie." he said in a sort of sing-song. Often enough the answers Sineth coaxed from the dear departed didn't quite match the visions he got. Just more proof that truth, like beauty, lies in the eye of the beholder.

"So here we go again... "

Jonas enters the room, not quite closing his eyes but trying not to get too distracted by the mere physical representation of the location. And even before he reaches the door he can feel the ... 'vibes'. It was not entirely unlike that sinking, nauseating feeling that announces that one is about to projectile vomit in 3, 2, 1... but he still holds on, shuts out the pressure, shutting himself up in the process.

And the voice starts to talk again... or rather, it never shuts up but he can no longer drone it out with his own ramblings. And now he finds himself caught between two uncomfortable options: Listen to the voice or surrender to the assault of the psychic impressions. His resolve to not listen unbroken, the voice pushes him closer and closer to the threshold, beyond which...

For an outward observer it looks like Jonas falls into a trance and then suddenly suffers a seizure, trembling first but soon shaking violently, eyes turned back so far that only the whites of his eyes show and he promptly falls over as the spasms become more severe.

The seizures themselves last about 2 or 3 minutes, but it takes Jonas a lot longer to regain consciousness...

Rebis
2010-09-18, 06:23 PM
Rebis roams the room, touching nothing but the floor, checking out the runes first. "We've got the word "Chosen" in two different languages here, Elvish and Draconic. It says "Catastrophe" in Undercommon on the wall by this chair, and I can see "Commune" in Infernal by this broken light fixture."
"This isn't right. There should be some Daelkyr in here somewhere."
"C'mon..." he whispers, "C'mon... There's gotta be SOME tie to Xoriat here..."

Search: [roll0]
Spot : [roll1]

Doombringer
2010-09-20, 01:31 AM
Sineth looked to the one speaking the words. "That is what I saw as well... here try these they might bring you better luck than they did me. I expect them back however." Sineth then pulled the goggles off his head and tossed them to Rebis. "If you tell me exactly what you are looking for or what it looks like I have a spell devised that might help us." Sineth then takes out some parchment writing down things that were of value and then moved to the body.. using his knowledge to see just what was the cause of death and how long the body had been dead.

Roll:
Heal Check
[roll0]

Anti-Luis
2010-09-20, 09:09 PM
Djorn walks back into the room, shaking his head. "Well, neighbors described just about half the city. Know where we can find a dwarven elf boy skipping around in a white dress?" Staying at the door as to not disturb his partners' mojo, he watches nervously as they try to tie things together.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-21, 09:23 AM
An old man with thick glasses peeks his head over Djorn's shoulder with a scowl. The crooked nose is instantly familiar to anyone from this part of Sharn--old Kolare himself, a terrible miser of a man.

"Listen, lads," he huffs over the dwarf, "how long before you get this cleaned up? I need my shop back in order."

Obrysii
2010-09-21, 05:00 PM
The warforged looked squarely at the man - he had the benefit of having no facial expressions, and he stated matter of factly, "It will take until we are complete. Until then you will be thankful you still have a shop to keep."

Doombringer
2010-09-22, 01:16 AM
Sineth looks to the others and nodded to the old man "Shortly I am fixing to commune with the dead..if any of you have a weak stomach I suggest leaving." Sineth waited for those who wished to exit and then begin to cast a spell whispering dark tones and touched the corpse. "I have a need to speak with you child awaken once more before your final rest."

When the eyes flicker open Sineth slowly speaks. "I want to know a few things departed one where were you before you were taken from this world?" He waited for an answer before nodding. "This tattoo where did you get it and who gave it to you?" He knew the tattoo was a fresh one and then decided to ask his final question. "What is your full name." after that he frowned and then said. "Enjoy your rest and may Boldrei watch over you."

OMG PONIES
2010-09-22, 06:24 AM
The girl rises, her skinless face a morbid combination of veins, nerves, and blood. Her mouth is pulled back in a sick, constant grin and her eyes bulge without lids to hold them back. She raises a hand to gently press against her cheek, and screams. It takes her a second to calm down but, when she does, she is more than willing to answer Sineth's questions.

"Waiting for my wrinkled prince," the girl says with shy embarrassment. She scoffs at the cleric's second question. "Why would I want a tattoo? One mark has already caused me enough pain." She shakes her head. Suddenly, she falls back to the ground, but on her back this time. Her unblinking eyes stare at all of you. "Esmerelda d'Caaaaaaaaaa..." the corpse sighs, and she is gone once more.

OOC: Knowledge (local) or (nobility) checks may be able to identify her based on the amount of information given.

@Sineth:
Sorry. Speak with Dead only allows one answered question for every two levels. Since you've got five levels, I tried to be nice and give you half of an answer for the last question.

Anti-Luis
2010-09-22, 07:13 AM
A talking dead girl was the last thing Djorn wanted to deal with right now, but the information could be vital to their investigation. He decided to stay, of course, just out of arms reach. Nervously gripping the hilt of his sheathed shortsword, he listens to the girl's words.

"Hmm... where have I heard that name before," Djorn thinks to himself.

Knowledge (Local): [roll0]

Doombringer
2010-09-22, 09:18 AM
Sineth was confused by the tattoo and then the thought of a wrinkled prince."Well this might means that she was suppose to a be with an older man and a prince. We should check with others about any upcoming noble weddings." He then looked to the tattoo closer and arched a brow. "She knew nothing of the tattoo." He turned her wrist to expose and look it over once more. "This could mean two things..she was unconscious when it was received or she was already dead." Sineth stood and looked to the others before looking at the available exits. "I have all I need to continue my search..I am still curious what tool was used to remove her face." Sineth looked to the others "I hope the name meant something to someone. I hope I was of assistance."

Rebis
2010-09-22, 02:35 PM
"Well, the last name was obviously d'Cannith," Rebis mentions. "Fantastic. That means we're going to have the full weight of her House coming down on us if we don't keep this hushed up."
Knowledge Local (+4) + Cunning Knowledge (Usable on Knowledge: Local for 1 time today (+3) = +7

Roll: [roll0]

Obrysii
2010-09-22, 03:09 PM
"House Cannith...." Tavo said, memories of his creation stirring in his mind. And yet he had no idea of leads, no contacts - a blank slate as if he had only been created the day before.

Anti-Luis
2010-09-22, 05:04 PM
Djorn cringes at the thought of what tool robbed this poor girl of her face. If Kolare hasn't already left, Djorn leads him out of the room citing the authority placed upon him by the powers of the city of Sharn. Once he is sure that isn't listening he speaks in a hushed tone.

"Cannith... yeah, that would make sense. Merrix d'Cannith has a daughter, never knew her name, but she'd about the age of this girl. Word is she's been seen around the city with a much older man. Half of what I've heard is talk, I'm sure, but this would fit. I wonder what they were doing here though, there is a world of difference between an opera house and an apothecary."

He continues, looking to Rebis. "I agree with you, partner. House Cannith is in civil turmoil. It would be best to keep this quiet, until we can find out who is behind the murder."

Obrysii
2010-09-22, 05:18 PM
The warforged looked to Djorn. "If this is the daughter of Merrix," he said, pausing briefly, "It would be more than a small group researching what happened. I doubt she would not have had bodyguards - a family that rich likely spends lavishly on protection."

These were, of course, simple guesses - logical steps that a wizard would consider; he knew that if he were to have offspring (impossible though it was), he would spend whatever resource was available to protect it.

Rebis
2010-09-23, 01:49 AM
"Esmerelda d'Cannith is Merrix d'Cannith's daughter. I'd heard she was the black sheep of the family, disappeared a few years back. Didn't wanna have anything to do with the family business. Which would explain the no bodyguards thing. He sighs, and his features begin to rearrange themselves.
"So, Merrix d'cannith is serious bigtime here. I don't think I'm exaggerating here when I say this could end up with all of us dead or disappeared. That means if we pursue this, we go all the way or not at all. And if we do this, we keep this between ourselves and the chief.
His grows taller, his shoulder broaden, his skin and hair darken considerably. Checking his features in a small pocket mirror, epicanthic folds form in the corners of his eyes.
I guess I shouldn't day that the d'Cannith's are notorious humano-centric bigots, but... Well...I guess I just did. I can take primary on this, if no one's against it. I figure we'll do better questioning them with me looking like this...
His body and features eventually settle into those of a dark haired human male.

"I say we do this."

Obrysii
2010-09-23, 08:19 AM
"Once I set myself upon a task it is completed. That is my make, my purpose, from the time I was Forged until the day my eyes shut forever," Tavo stated simply, and his familiar floated up to be petted; he gently pet it between the eyestocks atop its head.

"My goal now is to stop more death, to stop whoever did this," he said firmly.

"Let's go."

Lycar
2010-09-23, 03:30 PM
Tevo and the others emerging from the crime scene was, of course, Jonas' cue to start his own special brand of investigation.

After regaining consciousness, he reports his findings thus:

"Ugh... what a trip... Okay, let's see what there is to see... a mind, young it seems, slightly confused, well, very confused considering what he did but still... and eager, like a puppy. That's what make it a young mind."

Jonas pauses a moment to sort his thoughts "So uhm... boy and girl enter room, fight breaks out, curtain gets torn, things smashed. He seems to have subdued her, knocked her unconscious perhaps? Then uncertainity, but still he takes the knife, unsure and blood flows. He mutters and paints, apprehension, expectation... but also... pain... his own flesh... He cut himself? And then: Anticipation, he murmurs... things... and then: Nothing: Disappointment, frustration, like a child that didn't get a treat promised."

Jonas frowns and concentrates "No, no wait... he killed her all right. The pain I feel is his but he cut her before cutting himself, adding his own blood to... what was he doing... if only I could remember the things he muttered..."

OMG PONIES
2010-09-23, 03:32 PM
As Jonas mumbles to himself, the floor begins to quake. In an instant, the floorboards bend and warp beneath the body, erupting outwards in a shower of splinters as the ornate sign on the ground is destroyed. Esmerelda's body is engulfed in flames, and a fiery guard dog pounces forward to attack you. Rising up behind the beast is a Medium-sized fire elemental, who crackles and roars in Ignan.

Roll initiative.ROLLS:
[roll0]Init 1[roll1]Init 2
Ignan speakers only:
"Why have you called me into this cold, wet night?"

Anti-Luis
2010-09-23, 10:32 PM
"Sharn Unit of Immigration! Let's see some identification, buddy!" Djorn quips as he brandishes his short sword.

Initiative: [roll0]

Lycar
2010-09-24, 07:44 PM
[roll0] "Oh come on now, I'm trying to concentrate here. I just can't work like that... and whats with the fire, you are destroying evidence! Psshhhh, no sense of... woah, is it just me or are these things in a bad mood or what? I dare say, we better nip that in the but fast, before the whole town goes up in flames. At least this saves one burial..." Jonas pretty much chats as he takes a few steps back towards the door.

He so is not a combatant. And that the voice is now whispering more urgent then ever isn't helping either.

Rebis
2010-09-25, 01:36 PM
Rebis silently draws his elven lightblades from over his shoulders, one in each hand. He brings the butt ends together and locks them in place.

"Hey Burnie, I'll bet these'll even hurt YOU."

Initiative: [roll0]

Obrysii
2010-09-25, 01:45 PM
Tavo adjusted his eyes, shifting - he knew what he would do. His best ally was those that he summoned up, and he was quite eager to do so.

Initiative: 1d20+3=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2700399/)

OMG PONIES
2010-09-30, 12:08 PM
{TABLE="head"]|A|B|C|D|E
1|__|__|__|__|__
2|||fff||
3||fff|E|fff|T
4||F|fff|D|
5|||S|J|[/table]

LEGEND:
E=Elemental
F=Fiery dog
S=Sineth
D=Djorn
T=Tavo
J=Jonas
fff=squares of mundane fire

A simple map, but every square is difficult terrain due to the mess from the struggle (and now Burnie bursting through the floor). Rebis is up first, then the monsters and NPCs, then everyone else. Your training tells you that you must protect Kolare. Everyone, please list your starting positions even if it's not your turn yet. Knowledge: planes may provide some information about these creatures.

EDIT: Sorry, Kolare is safely out of the room. I forgot that Djorn had escorted him out.

Anti-Luis
2010-09-30, 11:05 PM
D4

I thought I had escorted Korlare out of the room earlier, but that might of been an assumption on my part. Either way is fine.

Obrysii
2010-10-01, 07:55 AM
Probably at E3 I think.

Rebis
2010-10-04, 10:53 PM
{TABLE="head"]|A|B|C|D|E
1|__|__|__|__|__
2|||fff||
3||fff|E|fff|T
4||F|fff|D|
5|||S|J|[/table]

LEGEND:
E=Elemental
F=Fiery dog
S=Sineth
D=Djorn
T=Tavo
J=Jonas

A simple map, but every square is difficult terrain due to the mess from the struggle (and now Burnie bursting through the floor). Rebis is up first, then the monsters and NPCs, then everyone else. Your training tells you that you must protect Kolare. Everyone, please list your starting positions even if it's not your turn yet. Knowledge: planes may provide some information about these creatures.

EDIT: Sorry, Kolare is safely out of the room. I forgot that Djorn had escorted him out.

For Everyone: Sorry I haven't posted, my computer has been down and I couldn't do what I needed to do from my cell phone. But I'm back.

So, I don't see Rebis anythere on the map, so put me wherever you want.
I don't ave too far to go.

Rebis steps up to the nearest burnhound and slices twice.

Two weapon fighting: Right blade: [roll0]
Left blade: [roll1]

"I'm comin' for you next, Burnie. You can't hide in the middle forever..."

Rebis
2010-10-04, 10:57 PM
"I'm comin' for you next, Burnie. You can't hide in the middle forever..."

Clearly, Burnie has nothing to fear if I'm making rolls that badly...

OMG PONIES
2010-10-05, 02:25 PM
The fiery canine snarls, and flames flicker from his snout. With a vicious bark, it snaps its teeth at Rebis, biting for his arm. It connects, and the man's shifting flesh is seared. The elemental continues to roar, swinging a blazing arm at Djorn's chest, which connects with a gentle push. The flames lick the floor, and those close to them (especially Djorn) feel the heat intense. If nothing is done, this fire will spread.

DAMAGE TAKEN
Rebis: 5 damage, 2 fire damage
Djorn: 3 damage, 6 fire damage

{TABLE="head"]|A|B|C|D|E
1|__|__|__|__|__
2|||fff||
3||fff|E|fff|T
4||F|fff|D|
5|R||S|J|[/table]

LEGEND:
E=Elemental
F=Fiery dog
S=Sineth
D=Djorn
T=Tavo
J=Jonas
R=Rebis
ROLLS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9488198&postcount=1839)
If anyone's curious, my rolls are above in a white-text link. I do it this way so they don't clutter the thread. It is now the rest of the party's initiative, including Sineth if there are any volunteers to NPC him.

Lycar
2010-10-05, 02:40 PM
Still chattering away madly, Jonas retreats towards the door.

"Haha, I have that burning desire to be somewhere else right about now. The heat is really getting to me. Let's keep a cool head about this, eh? Too bad I'm not an elementalist or something. A waterball would be kinda handy about now, eh? Oh and try to save some of that evidence, will you? Toodles... "

If he was a watermage or something, he might be able to do something useful.

But he is a seer, a psychic, and an involuntary one so on top of that. So he just steps back and leaves the fight to his able-bodied companions.

If only he could remember the words that the perp said when he painted this room red with blood... and the disappointment... did he hope this would happen sooner? Like, just after finishing whatever he did? But with the evidence going up in flame and smoke, whatever pieces of his aural psychocognition he could remember might be able to tell someone knowing about things arcane what had been on the killer's mind.

So it was his duty to stay alive and relay that information to someone...

Use turn to Withdraw from fight towards door.

Anti-Luis
2010-10-05, 10:48 PM
Djorn grunts taking the elemental's hit to his chest, he responds with a swipe of his sword at the fiery creature's arm. Wasting no more time, the flames around him creeping at his feet, the Dwarf moves back towards the corner of the room.

"Good thinking, Jonas! Go get some water!" he yells, as he watches the seer run out the door.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Obrysii
2010-10-06, 07:39 AM
When it came time for Tavo to act, he would gather in his palm a collection of water - slowly did that water rotate into his iron palm until it was sufficiently collected - it spread forward and hardened into ice.

Shifting his ice lance, he flung it towards the elemental.

Arcane spellcasting failure chance (I will always do 5 or lower fails): 1d100=93 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2714162/)
Casting Icelance, SpC pg. 119.
Ranged attack to hit: 1d20+9=29 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2714164/)
Rolling to confirm: 1d20+9=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2714165/)
Damage (if crit does not confirm): 6d6=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2714166/)
Damage (if crit confirms): 12d6=39 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2714167/)

In addition, if the elemental is not immune to stuns, it must make a fort save, DC 16 or be stunned for 1d4=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2714168/) rounds.

OMG PONIES
2010-10-06, 08:25 AM
Djorn's sword slices through the blaze, appearing to do at least some damage. Suddenly, the fire elemental dissipates in a cloud of steam as Tavo's spell destroys it.

OOC: Is anyone willing to play Sineth until his return? I won't be able to, so it's either one of you or we stick him in a magic bubble until he comes back :smalltongue:. Sineth and Rebis are up in the initiative. Djorn, I still need a Reflex save from you, DC 14 to avoid catching on fire.

Anti-Luis
2010-10-07, 07:07 AM
Reflex: [roll0]

Lycar
2010-10-10, 04:33 PM
Jonas leaves the burning room in a hurry and seeks for a fire alarm. He may be mad but he isn't dumb.

On the way he comes across the cleric...

"Oh hi there, you wouldn't happen to have seen a fire alarm around here? You know, press the button, magic mouth goes 'Fire! Help! Oh ye gods it burns!', that sort of thing?"

"Oh, no reason. Except that large fire elemental that is burning all the evidence. I'll be on my way now, quest for fire alarm and all that..."

Before he takes off, Jonas stops and turns around again, adding "Eh... you priestly types can dance for rain, right? Maybe you should do that, what with the fire and all that... just a thought. Must be off now, see ya!"

OMG PONIES
2010-10-12, 04:37 PM
DAMAGE TAKEN[/B]"]Sineth: 7 fire damage, Reflex save DC 13 for half
Djorn: 7 fire damage, Reflex save DC 13 for half
Jonas: 7 fire damage, Reflex save DC 13 for half

Rebis attacks the fiery hound, slicing into it and causing it to whimper. The remains of the elemental hiss and steam as Sineth summons a gentle rainfall in the room. The hound roars, and flames spew from its mouth onto Sineth, Jonas, and Djorn. The fires die out under the summoned rain, and the hound snarls--it knows it is cornered, but it cannot stop fighting.

OOC: It is now the party's initiative.

{TABLE="head"]|A|B|C|D|E
1|__|__|__|__|__
2|||||
3|||||T
4||F||D|
5|R||S|J|[/table]

LEGEND:
F=Fiery dog
S=Sineth
D=Djorn
T=Tavo
J=Jonas
R=Rebis
ROLLS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9536970&postcount=1890)

Anti-Luis
2010-10-12, 09:55 PM
"I hate wet dog smell..."

Djorn sidesteps the fiery dog, swinging his sword across it's width.

Move to C3
[roll0]
[roll1]

Obrysii
2010-10-13, 08:12 AM
"I am afraid I am lacking much in the way of useful spells - though I shall begin conjuration of an ally to assist," the warforged said - and began to do exactly as he said.

Tavo begins casting Summon Monster 1

Rebis
2010-10-14, 06:54 PM
Two blades. Across firedo's belly.

Left [roll0]
Right [roll1]

If I hit: Left [roll2]
Right[roll3]

"Lay down and die. Good doggie."

Obrysii
2010-10-25, 09:42 AM
Waiting for my initiative to come up to complete the summoning.

Obrysii
2010-10-30, 03:42 PM
Drawing upon the arcane energies within him, he cast a summoning - summoning an agent to assist his combat.

An insect - armored like he but seemingly of divine nature - appeared before him, stepping forward to attack the enemy with a nearly inaudible hiss.

He summons a celestial giant fire beetle, which attacks.

Attack: 1d20+1=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2745666/)

OMG PONIES
2010-11-02, 03:59 PM
Sineth begins to chant, following Jonas' advice to call down water from the heavens...or at least the ceiling. A gentle rain begins to fall in the room, quenching the flames and causing the hound to whimper in pain. It lashes out at the cleric with fiery fangs, but the falling water gets in the beast's eyes and distracts it.

Meanwhile, outside the apothecary, Jonas is easily able to find the local fire alarm--a squat box painted in brick red hues sits alone on a pole across the street. Above it sits a sign, with a simple phrase emblazoned in multiple languages: "FOR EMERGENCY USE ONLY."

OOC: It is now the party's initiative.

{TABLE="head"]|A|B|C|D|E
1|__|__|__|__|__
2|||||
3|B||||T
4||F||D|
5|R||S|J|[/table]

LEGEND:
F=Fiery dog
S=Sineth
D=Djorn
T=Tavo
J=Jonas
R=Rebis
B=Fire beetle (unless you'd like it placed elsewhere)

Anti-Luis
2010-11-03, 11:02 PM
Djorn swipes at the not-so-fiery-anymore dog with his sword once again.

I should be in C3, which gives me flanking, yes?
[roll0]
[roll1]

OMG PONIES
2010-11-24, 10:30 AM
With a pout, the dog dissipates in a cloud of black vapor. The investigators are left in a thoroughly ruined crime scene, between the struggle, fire damage, and waterlogged items. From outside, Jonas notices that the flames have died down, and pulling the fire alarm may not be necessary after all.

Kolare comes back in from the other room, furious. "What is all this--" He is stunned at the sight that greets his aging eyes. The floor and ceiling are scorched, and everything in the room (including the investigators) is soaked to the bone. "--racket?" He finishes weakly.

Obrysii
2010-11-24, 12:08 PM
"We were attacked, but that is not important anymore," the warforged stated - dismissing the beetle it controlled.

Just a quick post - I work in retail so thanksgiving week is very hectic - I will be AFK until monday.

Lycar
2010-11-24, 12:27 PM
Jonas, outside, is just about to pull the lever on the fire alarm when he realizes that the sound of fighting has died down.

He almost didn't hear it over his constant babbling and the voice in his head that wouldn't ever shut up.

"Oh well... seems like the little fracas has been resolved. Heh, 'fracas', what a silly word... fracas fracas fracas... fricassee?"

He returns to the wrecked room and pokes his head through the door way to see what is to see without going all supernatural.

"Oh hi. I see the fire drowned. What a terrible way to go, drowning. I heard bad things about that. Also I saw a lot of bad things happen before we arrived. That is, I saw them after we arrived, but they didn't happen after we arrived, before instead. You know, that psychic reading stuff."

"Anyway, so yeah, I did see that guy do bad things to that girl and then to the wall. And he did mutter. Stuff. Dunno what. Wanna hear?"

If prompted, Jonas will try and replicate the sounds he heard in his vision as faithfully as possible. Maybe someone can make something out of it?

Anti-Luis
2010-11-27, 11:14 PM
"Sorry for the mess, Kolare... we'll see if we can get someone down here to help you with the mess. I'd suggest closing shop for a couple days. You've relatives nearby? Take a holiday."

Djorn hears the words coming from his own mouth and knows it is little comfort to the old man. He looks over to the rest of his team.

"Well, boys. Let's get a move on!" he makes his way past Kolare and out the door.

Obrysii
2010-11-29, 08:57 AM
The Warforged bowed to the man, and told him simply, "An apprentice wizard would be able to help you clean this mess quite easily. Fairwell."

He turned and followed the others - brain cogs turning as he considered the moment. The situation was, admittedly, beyond his experience - and he was eager to learn.

Anti-Luis
2010-11-30, 11:47 PM
"We should probably keep the chief up to date on what we've found so far." Djorn says as they step back outside. "Besides, it's a better place to discuss our next move."

Obrysii
2010-12-01, 10:34 AM
"I agree," the wizard said, stepping forward along with his companions. "We should make him aware of the abilities of those we are facing - that creature we fought, for example."

OMG PONIES
2010-12-01, 01:12 PM
As you enter the chief's office, he is no longer in his previous reflective mood. Instead, he is nervously rifling through a small stack of papers as he speaks with another agent, one whom none of you have seen before. The chief waves you toward his desk.

"This is Caesar," he says, nodding towards the new agent without even bothering to look up. "We're bringing him in on this. He's a bit of a specialist. Brief him (and me) on what you've discovered so far."

OOC: Nanoblack, feel free to post IC from here on out. Welcome to the game!

Nanoblack
2010-12-01, 02:41 PM
Caesar

A towering figure of solid steel stands near the door, his armor is polished to a glistening sheen with golden trim. Adorning each arm is an oval shaped shield with wavy protrusions resembling plumes of flame around its border to give it the look of a miniature sun. On his head is a roman-style helm complete with crimson head crest and gilded faceplate showing a face with an indifferent expression.

He removes his helm to reveal he is still quite imposing without the armor. Close cropped blonde hair and dark blue eyes accentuate his warm but firm expression. He has one visible scar running from his jawline down to his neck, and a thick tome hands from a clasp near his right hip. The books clasp consists of a golden ribbon tied to the end of a carved finger bone of some sort of religious importance.

He steps forward and presents his free hand for a handshake. "I have much experience in investigations and rooting out conspiracies. Hopefully I can be of some help with the current case you all are working on." He stops speaking as his eyes are drawn to the various wounds the group has taken with them from the last battle. "What happened?" Even as he speaks, his hands are tracing the intricate patterns of a healing spell.

He'll be casting cure light wounds on the first person through the door.

Anti-Luis
2010-12-01, 10:59 PM
Djorn hobbles into the Chief's office, the adrenaline subsiding, he's just now able to feel every blow of battle. Not being surprised by the Chief's addition, he stands next to the new guy. People seem to come and go a lot in this line of work.

"Looked like some ritual site... I guess whatever they were trying to summon was running late. Fortunately we were there to greet 'em." Djorn manages to spit out through winces and gritted teeth. "We also discovered that Dwarves are flammable."

Obrysii
2010-12-02, 09:18 AM
Tavo watched the man clad heavily in armor step inside – and he was slightly relieved. He was no longer one of the largest, bulkiest members of the group.

The Warforged stared at the man with those golden orbs – glowing faintly with his empowerment given at birth. His own armor was much less bulky – but also inlined with gold, with a rounded head that seemed relatively mundane. His robes were torn from combat, but they wrapped around his bulk regardless.

“And wizards are not meant for melee,” he said – adding to the 'dwarves are flammable' thought. “I am out of spells that are useful until tomorrow.”

OMG PONIES
2010-12-02, 01:57 PM
The Chief rolls his eyes, grumbling something about needing some combat-ready officers. "What did you find out about the murder?" he asks, still buried in his work. "Any leads?"

Lycar
2010-12-02, 03:42 PM
(Well ****, seems like my last post got eaten or something.)

Jonas keeps muttering under his breath on the way back to the chief and only speaks up when the question of the results of their investigation comes up.

"Haha, well you see, I saw what happened, I did. Unfortunately I can't really say more then I already told the others. Guy seems to be pretty intent on getting this right, whatever he tries to actually do. And he didn't do it right, telling from the frown on his face, yes.. so he will try again... practice makes perfect after all. If only I knew about magic to translate what he said when he painted the walls red with the poor girl's blood. Hearing this backwards didn't help. Nor the voice constantly barging in. But hey, I've got a face. Let's our artist take care of that for us, eh?"

"Oh and since the body got burned to a crisp, are we gonna tell who she was or is this to be swept under the rug? "

Nanoblack
2010-12-02, 04:05 PM
Caesar

His brows knit as he tries to translate Jonas' disjointed speech. "You said there was writing on the walls? Do you know if it was damaged by the fire? We could go back and collect pressings of the symbols... perhaps something of relevance would pop up after passing it in front of some local scholars." Even as he speaks, he continues to pray for healing for his new allies. "Did anyone come across any other evidence? Perhaps on the body... did anyone check her pockets? Not that any of that matters after the fire..."

Obrysii
2010-12-03, 06:42 PM
"Only the basics of her identity," the Warforged said, thinking to himself, Why didn't I think of pressings?

He turned, "I can take you there - before anything deteriorates further."

Nanoblack
2010-12-03, 07:45 PM
Caesar

He hefts both of his shields, stepping toward the door. "Please do. The longer we wait, the harder this whole ordeal will be. Oh and be sure to bring spare paper. We'll be needing it." He replaces his helm as they march back to the scene of the crime.

Forgot to roll for healing for the last couple posts, so here it is: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Lycar
2010-12-06, 01:53 PM
As they turn to leave, Jonas asks one last question of the chief.

"So about that rug-sweeping thing... if one of those nosy P.I:s asks me about it, should I go or should I go?"

Either way, on their way back Jonas turns his attention to the new arrival. Apparently he finds the warforged's weapons of choice to be quite peculiar.

"Saay... did you, by any chance get our motto of 'To Protect and Serve' a bit.. wrong? I mean, sure, you can never have enough cover to duck behind but you are kinda also supposed to show you mean business if an evildoer won't be restrained by appealing to his better self. Oh I know, I know, you can use a shield to bash someone around, but given the number of high ledges and low railing in our fair city, it would seem to make a live arrest a wee bit more difficult then it needs to be...?"

"Anyway, if you were built this, way, who am I to judge. Or are you not supposed to bring them in alive? We kinda are. Aren't you? That would be important to know, you know. Because, well, if we are supposed to bring someone in for questioning this is usually meant to not be done by the local necromancer if you get my drift, eh fellas?"

"Not that there's anything wrong with speaking to the dead, no SIr, especially if they have something on their mind. Unless, of course, they are as uncooperative in death as they were in life. Remember that one time, couple of years ago, they tried to bring in some guy for questioning, he tried to give them the slip by jumping to a roof, but instead he got the slip... slipped down and broke all his bone on the way down. And our 'interrogation specialist for the recently deceased' tried to make him talk... " and here Jonas breaks into a chuckle, as if he finds that quite hilarious: "But, haha, but the only thing the stiff told him was, *giggle* was where he could go stick his questions. Hahaha, the look on the guy's face. Let me tell you, those guys usually look like death warmed over, comes with the job I get, but that one time he looked so very alive, what with that nice shade of red! Bwahahah!"

"Erm, coming to think of it, is a 'stiff' really stiff if he has no unbroken bone in his body? I guess he'd still flop around a lot..."

Nanoblack
2010-12-06, 07:00 PM
Caesar

He lifts his faceplate to once more reveal his human face, complete with confused expression. "I assure you, these shields of mine are a last resort only. The powers that be have gifted me many abilities to aid in capturing criminals before they can do any harm."

OMG PONIES
2010-12-07, 11:27 AM
As you return to Kolare's apothecary, the feeble old man greets you at the door. "How long until I can clean up my back room?" he rasps. "This mess is bad for business--makes it hard for me to get anything accomplished."

The same unmistakable stench fills your nostrils. Though it has been drowned out by Kolare's work and the scorched scent of fire, the smell of death abides. The room still looks destroyed, but what small items there were have since been burnt to nothing. All that remains are pieces of blackened furniture, splintered floorboards with a strange arcane pattern on them, and blood-soaked walls.

Scrawled in blood all over the walls are the ramblings of a mad man, presumably her killer. The penmanship is barely recognizable, perhaps due to the grim ink. Not a single verse is written in Common, though many other languages seem represented. Your eyes scan the writing, looking for flickers of familiarity. As you study the languages familiar to you, one word is readable among the haphazard phrases. One thing you notice upon closer examination somehow escaped you last time. The name "Cannith" is penned in Common in various places around the room.

OOC: Search/Spot checks for any further clues than the ones provided below. Read the below only if you speak a language other than Common:

For Draconic speakers only:
chosen
For Gnomish speakers only:
child
For Dwarven speakers only:
catapults
For Elven speakers only:
chosen
For Undercommon speakers only:
catastrophe
For Infernal speakers only:
commune
For celestial speakers only:
centuries

Even among the broken floorboards from whence the elemental emerged, you all notice that, ever so faintly, a pattern has been traced on the floor in chalk (underneath the body). It swirls and laps over itself in a feat of impossible geometry, seeming more like a scribble than anything concrete.

Knowledge: arcana checks to investigate the pattern, Search checks to scan the room for evidence, or any other skills/spells/powers you think may help you investigate a crime scene.

Nanoblack
2010-12-07, 01:03 PM
Caesar

The fact that the old man was more concerned with getting his shop back in order instead of letting everyone do their job disgusted Caesar. "I'm going to have to ask you to quietly wait outside until we're done. We will notify you when that time comes." He firmly directs the old man to the door, letting his cold blue eyes do the rest. Just before closing the door behind him, Caesar focuses his vision on all that is wrong in the world and looks him over.

"Now that the area is once more clear of civilians, lets get to work. Make sure to collect the pressings in the order they are scrawled on the wall. I'm going to study these arcane markings and give the room a look over." He maintains his focus on the wrongness as he methodically scans the room. While everyone else is busy with the pressings, he kneels to inspect the floor.

It seems I came well equipped for this particular mission:
Knowledge (Arcana):[roll0]
Spellcraft:[roll1]
Spot:[roll2]
Knowledge (Religion):[roll3]
Sense Motive (For the old guy):[roll4]

Lycar
2010-12-07, 03:27 PM
Jonas stands back, not to get in the was of the investigation. Since he already scanned the residual psychic signature of the murder and the fiery fight now pretty much overwrote of that, he just stands about idle and scans the scrawlings on the wall.

"Hey look, there's Dwarven and Elvish, sometimes in the same sentence."

He looks a bit closer.

"Yep yep, dwarves sure do love their catapults. By why did the killer mention them in his... writings? And who is the 'chosen'? The guy or the girl he sacrificed? Although, technically, a sacrifice is something you don't really want to part with and do so anyway for the greater good. Most of the 'sacrifices' of those blood cults are total strangers they don't give a rat's ass about. Some 'sacrifice'. If you ask me, the dark powers just want to make sure they only give power to people who are sick enough to actually use it to a bad end... "

"Anyway, if you'd rather I go badger the old coot so he is occupied while you do your thing, just say the word."

Anti-Luis
2010-12-07, 11:44 PM
Djorn had followed the group grudgingly, though with a bit more life in his step. If it hadn't been for the healing, he most definitely wouldn't have come. At any rate he is there, once again in the burnt blood bath of a room.

Waiting for Kolare to leave them alone again, Djorn speaks up. "We've already been over the scene, big guy. Wasting your time here, we should be out there busting some heads and asking questions! The girl was of House Cannith, that's where we need to be."

The dwarf stands at the door with his arms crossed, waiting on the rest of his team to go over the clues.

Nanoblack
2010-12-08, 03:23 PM
Caesar

He frowns at Djorns lack of foresight. "And what are you going to tell the Cannith when you arrive? Who's heads do you intend to bust? We need to gather as much evidence as possible the first go 'round so we don't need to backtrack. Yes, there's some connection to the Dragonmarked House, but we have to plan for our arrival, and part of that preparation is research." He sighs, thinking he was too short with his new teammate. "If you wish a more active role in this investigation, you are more than welcome to question locals and neighbors to see if they've seen anything odd on the night of the crime. Failing that, perhaps setting up an appointment with a Cannith representative would be an immeasurable aid. Finally, if that falls through, see if any of the local scholars know anything about these words the perp smeared all over the walls."

@PONIES: Any results from my skill checks yet yet?

OMG PONIES
2010-12-09, 01:32 PM
@Caesar
Sorry, I was AFK for a bit. You realize as you step back from the pattern that it resembles the strange calligraphy of the dragonmarks, though it is more massive and ornate than any dragonmark you've seen before. Also, you swear you can make out individual dragonmarks within the pattern--specifically Cannith's Mark of Making, which is faintly illuminated.

Closer examination shows that some of the words from the wall are written along the paths of the Mark. Some are crossed out, as if by trial and error, while one word comes up repeatedly, glowing everytime. "Chosen."

When it comes to Kolare, he does not appear to be hiding anything.

Obrysii
2010-12-11, 01:15 PM
Tavo stood at the edge of the doorway, his eyes lit with the information present on the walls. He understood more than a few words, and moreover felt an odd sensation at the thought that both Elven and Draconic were written with the same word-choice; chosen.

Did it mean anything? He wasn't sure - and his beholderkin floated listlessly next to him, unable to make sense of anything - its twin brains firing back and forth, and ultimately needing its warforged master to make the calls.

And at the moment there weren't any calls to make.

"Is it possible," he finally spoke up, "That given the profuseness of the word chosen in more than one language, that the victim was willing? Or perhaps somehow more than we suspect?"

Lycar
2010-12-11, 01:34 PM
Jonas just shakes his head and sighs.
"*sigh* There was a fight,
before the woman died.
I told you that, remember?
All evidence, turned to ember...
And yet, I saw it clear as day:
That the killer, try as he may,
did not gently, but brutally slay,
the maiden. So I say."

He pauses just long enough to take in the reactions to his impromptu rhyming before he goes on.
"Seriously, I saw what happened. I'm a Seer, remember? That is why I'm with you. Why the chief puts up with my... condition. The voices. That. Yeah. So there."

Then another thought occurs to him.
"Anyway, I may be insane but even I'm not mad enough to try and intimidate House Cannith. If anything, we should very politely request that they assist in the investigations. Sure, by law they are required to do so but... well..."

Jonas just shrugs and leaves it be. Where others would fall silent though, he just keeps mumbling to himself under his breath.

Anti-Luis
2010-12-11, 04:17 PM
Djorn shakes his head, "I'm doubtful that House Cannith will be cooperative. It's more likely that they'll distance themselves as much as possible. If this girl was who we think she was, a black sheep daughter of the house."

"Locals weren't very much help. No, I think maybe... I know this place lot of the Cannith boys like to frequent, bottom rung mostly, but you know what they say about things runnin' down-tower."

Lycar
2010-12-15, 01:43 PM
Jonas looks at Djorn and shakes his head "Nice idea. Lovely place I hear, very noisy. Too bad the background count will probably trigger my, heh, 'gift'. So if it's all the same for you I would rather wait outside while you do the canvassing. Unless you want me to be the, you know, mad cop.", ending the sentence on a wink.

Nanoblack
2010-12-15, 01:51 PM
Caesar

The heavily armored lawman had been mostly ignoring the conversations going on around him, focused on his work as he was. Then it hit him. "Has anyone else noticed the remarkable similarities between several of the glyphs engraved here and the great dragonmarks?" He gestures toward the western side of the circle. "See, there is Cannith. That's the only one I can definitely make out through all of this wreckage but it's definitely there. Perhaps you all were right about pursuing them further."

Lycar
2010-12-18, 06:51 AM
"Perhaps? Perhaps?! Of course we are right! Hehe... 'perhaps'... what a nice and diplomatic way of saying 'Doh! I screwed up!' Now let's go a scour that Cannith hangout for information." Jonas pipes up quite cheerfully. Then he sobers up again and adds "Just don#t expect me to join you in there. Would put a bit of a damper on their temper if I had an attack of hyperconsciousness in there."

Obrysii
2010-12-19, 08:27 AM
"I have, as all warforged have, been with House Cannith for some time - but those are old memories, and I am one of many," Tavo said simply - his mind running scenarios and coming up with nothing. He simply did not have sufficient input data to process a good response.

"Perhaps, though, as we have Warforged in our party, that the House will be more willing to allow us access?"

Anti-Luis
2010-12-19, 10:45 AM
"Place is called the Leaky Gasket over in Hareth's Folly. Popular place for the Cannith boys to go when their off duty, being so close to the guild house. So, if you ladies are done powdering your noses, I'd like to get a move on." Djorn says as he begins to make for the door.

Obrysii
2010-12-19, 11:45 AM
"I was created ready - though as per my previous statement, I have expended all useful spells for the day," Tavo said simply.

Unless I missed it where it said we waited a day.

OMG PONIES
2010-12-29, 01:41 PM
The Leaky Gasket

As you approach the notorious Cannith hotspot, it seems the name is something of an intentionally-ironic misnomer. The walls are constructed from brightly colored metal pipes, all lined up in a decidedly exact fashion.

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/2340/2340,1250622167,2/stock-photo-exterior-of-modern-building-made-from-colored-pipes-35486356.jpg

The hypnotic chaos of the storefront is overwhelming, but the stark contrast of the solid ebony door makes the entryway stand out, wedding form and function beautifully in typical Cannith style. When you all enter the establishment, you see a bevy of humans loitering about. Some are drinking and dining, others are dancing to the strange grinding sounds being produced by a warforged on a small stage, and others still are poring over elaborate blueprints unrolled on tables or tacked to the walls.

Further examination shows that the entirety of the staff are warforged, but they all look different than Tavo. Two by the door look strong and burly, as if their rivets are about to burst out in all directions. Those waiting tables or tending bar instead bear the softer, slender form of a curvaceous woman. One such warforged approaches the group and purrs, "Hey boys, welcome to the gasket. Would you like a table?" Her voice carries such natural inflection and intonation that, with your eyes closed, you could easily mistake her voice for that of a young human woman.

Lycar
2010-12-29, 02:10 PM
As Jonas approaches the building, he stops his muttering for a moment to comment on the decor.

"Woah, I had less colourful visions then that. Makes one wonder what it looks like inside. I'll risk a peek but if the inside is as seizure-inducing as the outside, I'll definitely stay outside."

But his curiosity gets the better of him and he still follows the others inside. He falls silent as he looks around to take in the sights, but this is okay, the new sights still suffice to drown out the voice in his head.

For now.

When the 'curvaceous' warforged arrives to seat the party, Jonas mutters
"You ain't telling me those were designed for combat. Unless they were 'special orders' for, heh, 'close quarters combat'..."

OMG PONIES
2010-12-29, 03:00 PM
Surprisingly, the server hears Jonas' mutters. As programmed, she laughs with casual grace, the servos and motors in her head sliding her face into a sly smile. "Ohhoho," she laughs, "quite the joker, aren't you?" With that, she winks at Jonas. "Private rooms are available upon request. Would you like rate information?"

Anti-Luis
2010-12-30, 07:58 AM
Djorn just shakes his head, giving a sideways glance at Jonas. "No, just a table for now, miss." he grunts. His attention then turns to the other patrons, looking for someone he recognizes... or with enough drink in them to make them pliable.

OMG PONIES
2010-12-30, 11:02 AM
Turning to Djorn, the waitress' flirtation mode deactivates, and she is back to business. "Certainly, gentlemen. Please follow me."

OOC: A Spot check would be enough to tell if Djorn knows any of the patrons...or to see who's clearly intoxicated. To see if someone's just drunk enough to talk (but sober enough to still make sense), I'd ask for a Sense Motive check.

Obrysii
2010-12-30, 02:11 PM
"An interesting modification," the Warforged said as he saw the curiously-designed 'female' warforged; he followed them along - searching with curious eyes. His familiar squirmed inside its pocket, but he deemed it too unusual to have out.

Spot check: [roll0]

Nanoblack
2010-12-30, 04:52 PM
Caesar

Upon walking through the doors, the justicar instantly begins a visual scan of the room. These particular warforged, despite the modifications made to make them seem more human, revolted him. Even worse, the one talking to the group was likely a prostitute. Even with all of this going on, he couldn't help but ask. "You frequent a warforged brothel?"

Sense Motive:[roll0]
If it's inappropriate to wear armor here, Caesar will leave it, but he won't like it.

OMG PONIES
2010-12-30, 05:50 PM
Tavo scans the room for creatures acting erratically. Unfortunately, there are plenty here--one particular group of sauced engineers are busily scribbling over a blueprint with a charcoal pencil, destroying any semblance of order in the design. "Ahgotit!" one exclaims, "get riddada stairs and put in TRAMPOLINES!"

Caesar, on the other hand, listens intently for the finer signs of a "together" drunk. He notices one man, sitting apart from the other revelers, angrily sipping down a light beverage and muttering to himself. He tosses sideways glances around the room every now and again.

OOC: Caesar is allowed to wear his armor in here, and pretty much anywhere in Sharn. However, he does stick out. Some patrons smile, others salute, and others ignore him entirely. In seedier parts of Sharn, it may be a good idea to leave it behind, but here you're fine.

Lycar
2011-01-04, 02:27 PM
Jonas meanwhile does his best to listen in on random conversations around him. A welcome diversion from having to provide his own chatter to drown out the voice.

He had noticed Djorn's sideways glance but pretended he didn't. Hey, as someone certifiably insane he was allowed to say such things! Besides, he had only said what most of them were thinking anyway.

Caesar's comment on the other hand pointed down a way of thought he didn't want to pursue. He was insane, not mad.

"Lalela, alcohol and busy minds, I wonder what havoc those may... think of. Also: Can we write off our tabs as working expenses?"

Nanoblack
2011-01-11, 04:11 PM
Caesar

The justicar approaches his possible source of new information with a blank expression, avoiding eye contact. He sits near him at the bar and orders one of the cheaper ales. Finally, if nothing has been said after a minute or so, Caesar speaks up to no one in particular. "Thrice damned psycopaths!" He glances to see if the man take notice and if he does, he continues. "Did you hear about that wrecked alchemy shop in the eastern quarter? Torched the whole damn place!"

Obrysii
2011-01-15, 10:46 AM
Tavo takes a seat in a corner, allowing his eyes to follow the patrons - to see what reactions, of any, would happen from Caesar's outburst. He naturally ordered nothing - he had no need of food or drink.

OMG PONIES
2011-01-17, 10:22 AM
The man glances up from his brew at Caesar's words, but casually so. As the armored man asks about the recent crime, the patron simply hums into his glass. "Mmm-mm," he mumbles, "been here most the day. Most the week, come to think of it. Probably some damned kids in one of those street gangs. Hardly safe to go outside anymore, not that someone like me would have any reason to. They sending you after those ruffians?"

Nanoblack
2011-01-17, 03:20 PM
Caesar

"I wish I could, but damned if there aren't any leads for me to follow. Crazy bastard scrawled a bunch of gibberish on the walls... something about chosen and catapults. Even managed to carve some dragonmarks into the floorboards." Even throughout his tirade, he's keeping a close watch out for anyone who might be reacting oddly at overhearing his words.

OMG PONIES
2011-01-18, 09:42 AM
Nobody reacts oddly; hardly anyone reacts at all. Even the man Caesar is talking to seems relatively unfazed. "Dragonmarks, eh? Heh." He pauses after his strange, short laugh. "Figures. Everything's about the damned Houses these days. Can't even get a decent job if you don't have one of them Marks. Sheesh." He returns to his brew.

Obrysii
2011-01-19, 12:53 PM
"It surprises me that a mark of potential can cause so much issue among other peoples," the Warforged stated matter-of-factly, as if he was to begin an essay with his words, "And yet here we are. Humanity is operated by difference."

Lycar
2011-01-25, 01:52 PM
Jonas just listens in to the conversation, muttering to himself. When the patron doesn't seem like feeling to add to the conversation, he pipes up:

"Cannith, Cannit, can not, can not what? Keep all their knick-knacks and inventions to themselves, that's what. Feh, think they are better then everybody else, just because they are so good at making stuff that just so happens to be slightly magical. Big deal, what do they want? A medal? Am I right or am I right eh?"

OMG PONIES
2011-02-02, 04:11 PM
The patron sighs and smiles slightly. "It don't have to be magical," he says to Jonas. "Hells, they make damn near everything these days. I'd wager my last coin that the very stools we're sitting on were made by those bastards. You're saying that this arsonist went around scribbling Cannith marks? Probably some disgruntled former employee like myself who can't handle his rage as quietly as I."