PDA

View Full Version : Does force damage bypass all DR?

AustontheGreat1
2010-09-08, 07:38 AM
My friends got it his head that all force damage bypasses all DR. I Don't think that sounds right but I decided to check. Anybody know anything about this?

Zaydos
2010-09-08, 07:40 AM
Yes; technically unless specifically mentioned otherwise any spell damage bypasses all DR.

Force is the only type of damage that *might* be better than untyped damage because it also bypasses incorporeal creatures' 50% miss chance. I can actually only think of 2 or 3 creatures (1 is an epic dragon) that can resist force damage, and these have specific abilities (Immunity to Force effects usually).

Duke of URL
2010-09-08, 07:40 AM
Yes, it bypasses DR. It is treated as energy damage, not physical damage.

AustontheGreat1
2010-09-08, 07:43 AM
That's lame...

Greenish
2010-09-08, 07:45 AM
Spells bypass all DR. Attacks with a Force (MIC) bow bypass DR. Normal attacks with [Force] descriptor do not, I think.

Zaydos
2010-09-08, 07:45 AM
ehh, generally force effects deal less damage than energy effects (fire, acid, cold, electricity) other than sonic to compensate. Magic Missile deals 5d4+5 damage, Lesser Orb of X deals 5d8. Orb of Force is 10d6, Orb of X is 15d6 + secondary effect. So force effects do have a notable downside.

panaikhan
2010-09-08, 07:48 AM
I would be inclined to agree with Greenish.
As a spell, Force overcomes DR because that's what spells do.
Purely as a weapon (and the only one I can think of offhand is the soulknife) I would say it doesn't.
Force isn't silver, or cold iron, or any other material.

Greenish
2010-09-08, 07:53 AM
I
Purely as a weapon (and the only one I can think of offhand is the soulknife)Soulknife's Mind Blade isn't a force effect (so normal miss change against incorporeals).

Tyndmyr
2010-09-08, 07:53 AM
That's lame...

Resistances basically act as DR for energy types.

Force is the hard to resist type, that compensates by being generally less powerful to begin with.

panaikhan
2010-09-08, 07:56 AM
Soulknife's Mind Blade isn't a force effect (so normal miss change against incorporeals).

I was pretty sure it was, but I'm away from my books.
If it's not force, what is it? I'm sure the Soulknife in our party plays it that way.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-08, 07:56 AM
There are actual spells that convert your weapon's base damage into force damage, too, with the express purpose of bypassing DR and ethereal/incorporeal/whatevereal miss chances.

Zaydos
2010-09-08, 07:58 AM
If it's not force, what is it? I'm sure the Soulknife in our party plays it that way.

It's not force, I think it's just weapon damage as appropriate for whatever weapon it's emulating. Only way I can think of for weapons to deal Force damage is the force bow, or a psychokinetic weapon which does +1d4 force damage just like a flaming one does +1d6 fire damage.

Actually I can't think of a way to get the [Force] descriptor on a weapon, that would be like making it [Fire] descriptor.

Greenish
2010-09-08, 07:58 AM
If it's not force, what is it? I'm sure the Soulknife in our party plays it that way.From SRD:

Mind Blade (Su)
As a move action, a soulknife can create a semisolid blade composed of psychic energy distilled from his own mind. The blade is identical in all ways (except visually) to a short sword of a size appropriate for its wielder.It's Piercing physical damage (or slashing if shaped to long or bastard swords).

[Edit]:
Actually I can't think of a way to get the [Force] descriptor on a weapon, that would be like making it [Fire] descriptor.Crystal Helm soulmeld, bound to head or brow, I forget which.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-08, 08:00 AM
[Edit]:Crystal Helm soulmeld, bound to head or brow, I forget which.

Head. Weapon of Energy/Energy Claw powers scale that up and make your weapon deal force damage.

Greenish
2010-09-08, 08:04 AM
Head. Weapon of Energy/Energy Claw powers scale that up and make your weapon deal force damage.Actually, they allow only choice between Fire, Cold and Electricity, and it doesn't grant the weapon/claws the subtype.

[Edit]: Well, according to SRD, but I don't recall them being changed in CPsi.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-08, 08:05 AM
Actually, they allow only choice between Fire, Cold and Electricity, and it doesn't grant the weapon/claws the subtype.

Right, it's Power Weapon and Power Claws.

dsmiles
2010-09-08, 11:14 AM
Force is the hard to resist type, that compensates by being generally less powerful to begin with.

Sonic resistance isn't all that common, either, IIRC.

Furnok
2010-09-08, 12:58 PM
My dm allows force damage spells to go through all DR except in the case of #/epic, the only way to get through that is with a +6 or higher weapon or a 10th level spell.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-08, 01:03 PM
My dm allows force damage spells to go through all DR except in the case of #/epic, the only way to get through that is with a +6 or higher weapon or a 10th level spell.

If your DM applies damage reduction to spells, does he also apply spell resistance to melee?

Furnok
2010-09-08, 01:17 PM
If your DM applies damage reduction to spells, does he also apply spell resistance to melee?

No he doesn't and he is kind of a ****, but I can see his argument in this case. If you have DR/Epic you are pretty bad ass. At that high of level avoiding 15 hp per attack isn't a lot wealso play uncapped damage dice on spells. So a 20th level wiz casting a fireball does 20d6.

RebelRogue
2010-09-08, 01:58 PM
If you have DR/Epic you are pretty bad ass.
Agreed, but usually monsters for which this is true will have SR as well.