PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire Adept,

Cravix
2010-09-08, 11:56 AM
I am playing a dragonfire adept and am currently having to remake my character because dm lost character sheets when he moved. I am thinking about rolling as a dragonborn of bahamut. I f i did would i get two different breath weapons each with their own separate breach recharge timer.

Caliphbubba
2010-09-08, 12:05 PM
I don't think that the Dragonfire Adept breath weapon is supposed to have a recharge timer. It's a standard action that's usable at will, and says nothing about a recharge timer in the description....it's like a warlocks eldritch blast. so i don't know how much use you'd get out of another breath weapon

Thrawn183
2010-09-08, 12:21 PM
The breath weapon from being a dragonborn would have a recharge timer, yes. I think the best rules interpretation is that the breath weapon from being a DFA still is not on a recharge timer. The other option is just a little too cheesy for my tastes.

Of course, if you're in a group that has a barbarian with pounce, that's a totally different issue.

Caliphbubba
2010-09-08, 12:37 PM
The breath weapon from being a dragonborn would have a recharge timer, yes. I think the best rules interpretation is that the breath weapon from being a DFA still is not on a recharge timer. The other option is just a little too cheesy for my tastes.

Of course, if you're in a group that has a barbarian with pounce, that's a totally different issue.

so you think that the DFA breath weapon should be on a timer? or am I reading you wrong?

of course the dragonborn one would be on a timer, if that's what it says,
but I think it's pretty clear that DFA is not on a timer.

Greenish
2010-09-08, 12:41 PM
so you think that the DFA breath weapon should be on a timer? or am I reading you wrong?

of course the dragonborn one would be on a timer, if that's what it says,
but I think it's pretty clear that DFA is not on a timer.I think he's trying to say that dragonborn DFA should not be able to apply metabreath feats on the DFA breath weapon.

Glimbur
2010-09-08, 12:41 PM
The advantage to having your breath be on a recharge timer is that then you can take Metabreath feats. These are pretty sweet. They're in... mostly books about dragons.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-09-08, 12:45 PM
I don't think you'd benefit from the Dragonborn's breath weapon - you might prefer wings instead.

Caliphbubba
2010-09-08, 12:49 PM
I think he's trying to say that dragonborn DFA should not be able to apply metabreath feats on the DFA breath weapon.

ah that makes more sense. Is that the standard interpretation? That Metabreath feats can't be used on DFA breathweapon? I'd always assumed that you could use the Meatbreath feats with the DFA breathweapon.

Edit: or maybe I'm confusing Breath Channeling feats and Metabreath feats. I don't quite remember if there is a difference to be honest however.

Zaydos
2010-09-08, 12:53 PM
The opinion varies, there's the school of thought that you can use them on dragonfire adept breath weapons if you have another breath weapon that has a recharge time, then there's the group that says you can't. They agree that they make you unable to use it again for several rounds which is still a pretty good balancing factor. Personally I'd allow them to be applied to dragonfire adept's breath weapons because even then it is only questionably as/more useful than Maximize Spell-like Ability for a warlock, but that's my personal ruling as a DM and not a universal one.

Caliphbubba
2010-09-08, 12:57 PM
The opinion varies, there's the school of thought that you can use them on dragonfire adept breath weapons if you have another breath weapon that has a recharge time, then there's the group that says you can't. They agree that they make you unable to use it again for several rounds which is still a pretty good balancing factor. Personally I'd allow them to be applied to dragonfire adept's breath weapons because even then it is only questionably as/more useful than Maximize Spell-like Ability for a warlock, but that's my personal ruling as a DM and not a universal one.

I think maybe I was confusing Metabreath feats and Breath Channeling feats.

Maybe there is something in the metabreath feats that require you to have a breath weapon that has a recharge time, but as far as I can tell there isn't such a stipulation in breath channeling feats.

Zaydos
2010-09-08, 12:59 PM
Breath Channeling feats can definitely be used with dragonfire adept abilities, they don't have any stipulations about recharge time. Metabreath feats (from the Draconomicon) do have stipulations about recharge time and add to how long it takes to recharge which makes the ability to use them with dragonfire adept breath weapons questionable.

Entangling Breath (a breath channeling feat) is a pretty good feat to get; halves damage but entangles targets and deals 1d6 damage for 1d4 rounds.

Caliphbubba
2010-09-08, 01:04 PM
Breath Channeling feats can definitely be used with dragonfire adept abilities, they don't have any stipulations about recharge time. Metabreath feats (from the Draconomicon) do have stipulations about recharge time and add to how long it takes to recharge which makes the ability to use them with dragonfire adept breath weapons questionable.

Entangling Breath (a breath channeling feat) is a pretty good feat to get; halves damage but entangles targets and deals 1d6 damage for 1d4 rounds.

Ah OK that makes sense. In my brain the two types of feats got lumped together into one bin. Thanks for clarifying.

nightwyrm
2010-09-08, 01:18 PM

Entangling breath for DFA is like wildshape for druids. You take it and never look back. It makes the DFA one of the best crowd controllers outside of being a full caster.

Greenish
2010-09-08, 01:25 PM
Entangling breath for DFA is like wildshape for druids.Except that one is a feat you have to pick, the other a class feature you'll get in due time. :smallamused:

I think you meant Natural Spell.

nightwyrm
2010-09-08, 01:30 PM
Except that one is a feat you have to pick, the other a class feature you'll get in due time. :smallamused:

I think you meant Natural Spell.

Ah yes, I knew it had something to do with wildshape. :smalltongue:

Cravix
2010-09-08, 04:20 PM
What i am using is power surge from dragon magazine 313.

which allows you to modify a supernatural ability (one that has a minimum of 3/day uses) in a number of ways:

You can increase the damage by +1 per die
Increase the DC by +1
Increase the duration by +50% (not applicable to effects with an instantaneous duration)