PDA

View Full Version : Stats for chicken?

Morph Bark
2010-09-08, 04:07 PM
I am looking for official WotC stats for the most dreadful farm creature of all: the chicken. Dragon magazine material is fine, too. If neither is available at all, then I guess it is resorting to homebrew.

EDIT: dern, this was supposed to be in Roleplaying... that's what I get for super-multi-tabbing. Can't even delete the thread. :smallannoyed:

If a mod sees this, I don't suppose this could be moved, please?

EDIT DEUX: Here is the result of all this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9327762)!

imp_fireball
2010-09-08, 04:23 PM
Chicken (animal)
1/2 HD (2 Hp)
Size Tiny
AC Total 12, FF 12, Touch 12 (Size +2)
Attacks Peck -1 (1 nonlethal damage)
Base Speed 10ft. (Move), 5ft. (Hover)
Ability Scores: 4 Str, 10 Dex, 10 Con, Int 1, Wis 8, Cha 10
Skills: Spot +3, Jump +0
Feats: Alertness

Chickens are stupid, annoying and highly paranoid creatures. They're small, weak and cannot fly despite having feathers and appearing (only somewhat) like birds. They are the epitome of pathetic - but then again, they're also commonly domensticated and consumed by humans enmasse.

The first chicken was probably domesticated because it was easy to catch.

Hover

A chicken that hovers will always try to land in the space it ends its hover in, which occurs usually at the end of a round. Although a chicken's hover speed is only 5ft., it can still 5ft. step as a hover.
----

Done.

Esser-Z
2010-09-08, 04:24 PM
Nonlethal damage? Link disagrees.

imp_fireball
2010-09-08, 04:27 PM
Yah, well if you have a dozen chickens pecking you, that's a lot of non-lethal damage. If link passes out and they keep pecking him, that will eventually turn to lethal damage (basically assumed in-game whenever he dies).

Also, chickens can still perform coup de graces (making a peck lethal damage) by pecking out eyes and such (I don't think the rules disagree with that).

Jallorn
2010-09-08, 04:28 PM
Nonlethal damage? Link disagrees.

Link's chickens can fly too.

imp_fireball
2010-09-08, 04:31 PM
Link's chickens can fly too.

May as well give them laser eyes.

Morph Bark
2010-09-08, 04:31 PM
Yeah, this is prettymuch for a character starting out with the Chicken Infest flaw, so since Dragon magazine says you pull forth a chicken rather than what you wanted, I figured Dragon magazine also would have stats for chickens at some point.

Morph Bark
2010-09-08, 04:46 PM
Poked around a bit more, googled some more, and found a thread on these forums where someone said he just used Raven stats because the entry says "The statistics presented here can describe most nonpredatory birds of similar size."

So yeah, there I have it then. Case closed.

Ashtagon
2010-09-08, 04:53 PM
Use housecat statistics, and give it a little bit of fly speed in exchange for a loss of land speed.

What's that? Cats are dangerous animals?
:smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2010-09-08, 04:56 PM
Use housecat statistics, and give it a little bit of fly speed in exchange for a loss of land speed.

What's that? Cats are dangerous animals?
:smallbiggrin:

I moreso decided to tweak the Raven a bit, since chickens don't fly as well and peck more rather than use claws.

CHICKEN
Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/4 d8 +1 (2 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 10 ft. (clumsy)
Armor Class: 13 (+2 size, +1 Dex), touch 13, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–13
Attack: Peck +3 melee (1d2–5)
Full Attack: Peck +3 melee (1d3–5)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Cucco alert, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +7
Feats: Alertness (B), Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1/8
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

These dull brown birds are about 1 foot tall and have wingspans of about 2 feet. They can use their beaks for a nasty little peck.
The statistics presented here can describe most nonpredatory, domesticatable birds of similar size.

Cucco Alert: Every time a chicken is slain, there is a cumulative 1% chance that all chickens within 1 mile immediately become extremely hostile to you and will attack you on sight.
This is a variant rule.

Spiryt
2010-09-08, 05:04 PM
I've never seen the point of such stats to be honest, at such low numbers system breaks even more than usually, see classic cat vs commoner case, and it's not like it allows some useful dog chases chicken, or whatever opportunities anyway.

I personally just handle such animals all free form - player tells what he does, in case of interaction, and I come up with something.

imp_fireball
2010-09-08, 05:23 PM
see classic cat vs commoner case

Well a cat is either diminutive or tiny, with 1 hp, and could never do lethal damage unless it took a -4 penalty (and that said, it still has about a strength of 1 or 3; so the commoner probably has an attack advantage even with their fists). A commoner meanwhile can wield a chair and crush the cat in one blow with an improvised weapon (also the chair probably gives said commoner hard cover or whatever).

A cat has good reflexes (maybe it can use this to oppose a surprise attack) but probably not a very good dex, to reflect that a human can easily reach around and kick it.

Alertness (B), Weapon Finesse

You can only give it 1 feat, unless the chicken is a human in disguise.

Morph Bark
2010-09-08, 05:54 PM

Just like in the SRD, the (B) stands for "bonus feat".

It means it is a feat they get for free, which is why they call it a bonus feat. :smallamused:

LOTRfan
2010-09-08, 05:55 PM
The (B) stands for racial bonus feat.

Edit: Too slow.

The-Mage-King
2010-09-08, 06:02 PM
Now we need a larger, more intellegent Chicken with a massive racial bonus on disguise checks made against most humans... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwvbEXHTrpY)

Morph Bark
2010-09-08, 06:28 PM
Now we need a larger, more intellegent Chicken with a massive racial bonus on disguise checks made against most humans... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwvbEXHTrpY)

Actually, I found stats for Chicken Boo on a d20 wikia site for NPC stats while searching for chicken stats. It's not that hard to find through google if I can find it.

At any rate, off to homebrew something for chickens then. :smallamused:

thubby
2010-09-08, 08:56 PM
a chicken capable of 1 dmg of any kind can one-shot a nameless npc (who only have 1 HP) (as a side note, cats in dnd can kill commoners, but that's less of a stretch considering how bad some people come out after pissing off a cat :smalleek:)
i think you'd have to make it a swarm creature. maybe...

HP: 12? (a dozen chickens?)
init: +0
speed: 10
ac: 12 (+2 size)
atk: swarm (d4-1)
special: swarm traits, +10 on horizontal jump checks (chicken wings cant fly, but they can carry the meals on legs a good distance) distract DC 10, half damage from slashing and piercing
fat: unlike most swarms, chickens are rather large and easy to kill, characters with the cleave feat deal full damage to chicken swarms.

Latronis
2010-09-09, 02:50 AM
I agree there's not really a whole lot of point to statting out harmless animals.

As for the cat vs commoner thing well someone for some crazy illogical unknowing reason decided that the commoner class was going to be the worst thing in existence. Hell its even worse than taking racial hitdice

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-09, 02:52 AM
Here you go:

Gamecock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2519985&postcount=3)

Latronis
2010-09-09, 03:36 AM
i remember seeing that now

The_Admiral
2010-09-09, 03:54 AM
Which one?:smallbiggrin:

Zeta Kai
2010-09-09, 06:52 AM
I moreso decided to tweak the Raven a bit, since chickens don't fly as well and peck more rather than use claws.

Yeah, I used the raven as a base for my version of a chicken (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2868942&postcount=89), from Resident Evil D20.

Calmar
2010-09-09, 07:55 AM
Chickens are stupid, annoying and highly paranoid creatures. They're small, weak and cannot fly despite having feathers and appearing (only somewhat) like birds. They are the epitome of pathetic - but then again, they're also commonly domensticated and consumed by humans enmasse.

Whoa. Being weaker than others does not entitle enyone to treat them without any respect.
Chicken are social, caring and generally peaceful birds that are important to humans all over the world.

Besides, chickens aren't made for fighting. You don't want to get wracked by a raging rooster. :smallwink:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-09, 08:12 AM
Chicken are social, caring and generally peaceful birds that are important to humans all over the world.
PPPPPPPppppppffffffttttttt!

Killer Angel
2010-09-09, 08:23 AM
I agree there's not really a whole lot of point to statting out harmless animals.

Unless, of course, you want to play a session of D&D 3.5 Toons!: Chicken run. :smalltongue:
But sadly this is not the case.

Calmar
2010-09-09, 09:22 AM
Unless, of course, you want to play a session of D&D 3.5 Toons!: Chicken run. :smalltongue:
But sadly this is not the case.

See more animal stats in the upcoming Complete Peasant - The Guide to NPC-Classes.

Morph Bark
2010-09-09, 09:24 AM
See more animal stats in the upcoming Complete Peasant - The Guide to NPC-Classes.

Would that be the sequel (in the same vein as Complete Mage is to Complete Arcane) to Complete Commoner?

Yes, that project actually exists. :smallamused:

Spiryt
2010-09-09, 09:33 AM

Good, I need a duck for my Witch Hunt campaign. Torches are already prepared.

DracoDei
2010-09-09, 09:42 AM
Dropping in here to do my usual "make GitP: Homebrew more like Wikipedia" thing.

She Who Clucks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92025) - the evil queen of all chickens. Influenced by sprite videogame concepts.

Cluckzor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145296&highlight=clucks) - A tragically braindamaged deity I created. He acts Evil, but all his clerics are Chaotic Good.

I suppose if your REALLY wanted to use them both in the same game you COULD make She Who Clucks Cluckzor's chief minion, and say that his clerics are very attentive about "helping" (note quotes) the minions mentioned in the thread at every available opportunity... such as by leading them to some small fake victory, and then dispatching them back to the hells by the quickest means possible to report the joyous news... and they just never seem to have prepared Dismissal or Banishment on those days... very rotten luck, which reminds me, I never did pick Cluckzor's favored weapon... perhaps the punching dagger? Yeah, that sounds good for his humanoid minions and clerics. Poultry-esque creatures would favor the peck and the spur.

Bhu's monster thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74654)- I remember some poultry monsters in this, in more than one place.

imp_fireball
2010-09-09, 10:42 AM
You don't want to get wracked by a raging rooster.

Hey, I'd take that over a sweaty man in a wife beater with an axe anyday.

Also that sweaty man in a wife beater with an axe is probably a commoner. :smalleek:

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/8/9/6/8/1237098821466972959johnny_automatic_man_with_axe.s vg.med.png

The above man is timid but hard working. Also, he's holding an axe for chopping fire wood.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3452/3253758933_b17a1a4abd_m.jpg
But this a freakin' male chicken.

Seriously?

http://th09.deviantart.com/fs38/300W/i/2008/352/4/d/Angry_Chicken_by_Sami_88.jpg

Um... well.

Rooster's Goal (Su): At your will, your shouting voice will now become triple its original volume as a free action. If you succeed upon any will save with a roll of 20 or higher, you may duplicate the affects of iron heart surge for one round.

****, forget I said anything.
-----

The racial hit dice probably reflect toughened commoners (like modern's toughened civilians), at least in humanoid hit dice.

Cieyrin
2010-09-09, 03:05 PM
Dropping in here to do my usual "make GitP: Homebrew more like Wikipedia" thing.

She Who Clucks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92025) - the evil queen of all chickens. Influenced by sprite videogame concepts.

Cluckzor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145296&highlight=clucks) - A tragically braindamaged deity I created. He acts Evil, but all his clerics are Chaotic Good.

I suppose if your REALLY wanted to use them both in the same game you COULD make She Who Clucks Cluckzor's chief minion, and say that his clerics are very attentive about "helping" (note quotes) the minions mentioned in the thread at every availible opportunity... such as by leading them to some small fake victory, and then dispatching them back to the hells by the quickest means possible to report the joyous news... and they just never seem to have prepared Dismissal or Banishment on those days... very rotten luck, which reminds me, I never did pick Cluckzor's favored weapon... perhaps the punching dagger? Yeah, that sounds good for his humanoid minions and clerics. Poultry-esque creatures would favor the peck and the spur.

Bhu's monster thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74654)- I remember some poultry monsters in this, in more than one place.

Semi-related but I statted up a giant turkey for Thanksgiving last year. You can find Turkeyzilla here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7382672&postcount=1).

Chicken (animal)
1/2 HD (2 Hp)
Size Tiny
AC Total 12, FF 12, Touch 12 (Size +2)
Attacks Peck -1 (1 nonlethal damage)
Base Speed 10ft. (Move), 5ft. (Hover)
Ability Scores: 4 Str, 10 Dex, 10 Con, Int 1, Wis 8, Cha 10
Skills: Spot +3, Jump +0
Feats: Alertness

Hover

A chicken that hovers will always try to land in the space it ends its hover in, which occurs usually at the end of a round. Although a chicken's hover speed is only 5ft., it can still 5ft. step as a hover.
----

Done.

You've obviously never seen Clucky from KAMB or chickens in general from that game. There's a damn good reason the players should be careful around chickens but, since they're all kobolds, they don't have the brain cells to avoid 'em, so hilarity usually ensues.

Thugorp
2010-09-29, 01:37 PM
Well a cat is either diminutive or tiny, with 1 hp, and could never do lethal damage unless it took a -4 penalty (and that said, it still has about a strength of 1 or 3; so the commoner probably has an attack advantage even with their fists). A commoner meanwhile can wield a chair and crush the cat in one blow with an improvised weapon (also the chair probably gives said commoner hard cover or whatever).

A cat has good reflexes (maybe it can use this to oppose a surprise attack) but probably not a very good dex, to reflect that a human can easily reach around and kick it.

Dude, your an ideot... Cats have more than 1hp. and do about 3- damage(thats an average not a max) per round they have a decent ac and decent feats(and a great jump skill). Finally I don't know if it is because you've never actually played D&D or if you've just never seen a cat, but either way I feel I have to tell you that CATS HAVE !GREAT! Dexterity! In any case when people talk about the, "cat vs. commoner," finominon they are talking about the humorus realization 3 or 4 years ago that a cat could(in almost every case) kill a level 1 or 2 commoner with ease. NOT about how commoners can kill cats.

Sorry I know this is harsh but your comments up to now have been annoying me... and yes I know that using that as an excuse just makes me a worse person.

sideswipe
2014-01-07, 01:01 PM

CHICKEN
Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/4 d8 +1 (2 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 10 ft. (clumsy)
Armor Class: 13 (+2 size, +1 Dex), touch 13, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–13
Attack: Peck +3 melee (1d2–5)
Full Attack: Peck +3 melee (1d3–5)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Cucco alert, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +7
Feats: Alertness (B), Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1/8
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

These dull brown birds are about 1 foot tall and have wingspans of about 2 feet. They can use their beaks for a nasty little peck.
The statistics presented here can describe most nonpredatory, domesticatable birds of similar size.

Cucco Alert: Every time a chicken is slain, there is a cumulative 1% chance that all chickens within 1 mile immediately become extremely hostile to you and will attack you on sight.
This is a variant rule.

flat footed should be 12 right?

Balyano
2014-01-08, 10:32 AM
Shouldn't there also be a separate entry for a rooster? Its attack should consist of two spurs and a peck. I mean seriously even non fighting breeds get spurs more than an inch long.

Roland St. Jude
2014-01-08, 07:10 PM
Sheriff: This thread is over three years old. Please don't revive old threads.