PDA

View Full Version : Sarloc's Heir [closed]

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

griffon666
2005-03-15, 02:26 PM
Elthan

"Wow, where to start..." Elthan tells the party where all the magic comes from. "I suggest looking at the bodies one at a time. Also, I suggest leaving Sethra's body undisturbed. Finally, I recommend waiting either me, or Linda, to analyse each body before touching them."

To Linda: "I don't think the heroe's armors would be dangerous, but the weapons they have been killed with could be." He then lowers his voice to make sure she is the only one that hears it. "Keep an eye on the staff, it radiates necromancy and it could have some spells ready if it is disturbed, no one is to approach it for now"

To the group: "I suggest we form two groups, and go each our way around the room, it will speed up the process and prevent large accumulation witch could lead to accidents. Remember, leave Sethra's corpse alone, I do not say this because I want it for my self because I won't be touching it either until the room is cleared. I suggest everyone keep an eye open and alert everyone if you see something unusual. We will split the groups up as so: Me, Tearn and Fizahn, we will start with the body in front of us, Linda, Thokk and Graevic, choose a side, and start going around the room in that direction."

Dr._Bob
2005-03-16, 07:01 PM
Elthan, Taern, and Fizahn examine the body in front of them in more detail (skeleton #4):

The mummified skeleton kneels facing the dais. His hands are clasped around the hilt of a still glistening dagger that protrudes from his sternum. The skeleton's forehead touches the ground, and it looks as though the body has lain in this precariously balanced position for all of these centuries. Fragments of rotted cloth suggest that this adventurer was unarmored and dressed only in robes. It appears that the two metal bracers around his wrists were his only protections. Next to the body is an old leather knapsack, still closed.

Linda, Thokk, and Graevic investigate the body to the left (skeleton #1):

As noted previously, this body is still encased in platemail. Much of the armor has rusted and crumbled, though it also appears that it was badly damaged even before time had its way with it. The shield is so decrepit that you can barely make out its blazon (per pale vert and azure, a fret or). Only the breastplate appears to have been immune to damage and time. It glistens under a layer of dust and perhaps soot. At first it looked as though this knight was unarmed, but on closed inspection you can see the hilt of a longsword still clutched in his right hand. The blade is missing, however. Broken off perhaps?

griffon666
2005-03-16, 08:16 PM
Elthan:

Elthan points at the leather knapsack next to the body. "I sense no magic coming for the sack. You can take a look at it Fizahn." He then kneels down to have a closer look at the body. He examines the dagger very closely.

OOC: I'm looking for distinct symboles that would associate the dagger with Sethra, or something that would be associated with curses or evil.

Erikkin
2005-03-16, 10:26 PM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn carefully opens the knapsack, waiting for anything to scurry out before sticking his everburning torch into it and peeking inside.*

sacreddeamon
2005-03-17, 10:11 AM
Thokk

"Hrm, interesting..."

*Look now at Sarda, for demon signs*

Dr._Bob
2005-03-17, 11:41 PM
Elthan kneels down and cranes his head to get a good look at the dagger embedded in the skeleton's chest. The dagger is in great condition, considering the passage of time. The brass pommel still glows, and the polished steel blade shows the rippled waves characteristic of the finest forged blades. Elthan realizes that the dagger appears to match a simple scabbard still tied to the skeleton's waist. Could it be that the adventurer was killed by his own dagger? Did the adventurer kill himself? If so, why?

Meanwhile, Fizahn carefully lifts the flap of the knapsack and peers in. (Nothing scurries out.) Several small pouches can be seen, which likely held spell components (long since rotted away). There is also a small leather-bound book. It looks too small to be a spellbook however. A couple of small flasks also lie inside.

Thokk, meanwhile, wanders away from the armored skeleton and approaches the dais, interested in Sethra's skeleton. As he moves closer he sees that the skeleton appears charred. Perhaps Sethra was killed by a fireball or alchemist's fire? The serpentine rod in Sethra's hand glares at Thokk with small ruby eyes. Thokk also notices a small ring on one of Sethra's fingers. The rest of his clothing or materials seems to have been vaporized when Sethra was killed. Thokk moves closer and is just about to step up on the dais ...

griffon666
2005-03-18, 01:37 AM
Elthan:

From the corner of his eye, Elthan sees movement in the middle of the room. He looks up and sees Thokk going towards Sethra's body. "Thokk! We don't know what evil spell that body could still withhold. We need to be careful about it. We should finish with the rest of the room first."

He then goes back to his body. Suddenly, after examining the body, he puts his hand on the dagger and pulls it from the body.

OOC: After, if nothing happens with the dagger(I do not suspect it will but you never know) I will put it in its scabbard. He will then try to take off the armor.

Erikkin
2005-03-18, 07:49 AM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn looks disinterestedly at Thokk as he approaches Sethra.*

"I say we get like a big log or something so we can smash his skeleton from a distance," he shouts at Thokk.

*Fizahn then takes the book out of the knapsack gingerly and carefully, trying to damage it as little as possible, opens it to the first page.*

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-03-18, 10:21 AM
Linda the White
Hmm, maybe the dais is trapped but not the body-after all, if Setra died how would he trap himself? Now I think I have a way to remove the body from the dais without touching it or damaging it. Anyone have a rope? I can telecinetically manipulate the rope to tie it to Setra's body then we can pull it and remove the body from the dais.

OOC: Mage Hand for 5 pounds of telekinetic force on an object (the rope) for as long as I concentrate.

sacreddeamon
2005-03-18, 10:48 AM
Thokk

"Ha, I could take any fancy magic this old skeleton could throw at me. I will deal with him later..."

*Looks at other warrior, and sees if he might be able to take off breastplate*

Dr._Bob
2005-03-18, 03:00 PM
Elthan's warning stops Thokk just before he climbs up onto the dais. Instead, Thokk turns back to the armored warrior. With a few quick tugs, he is able to remove the breastplate from the rest of the decrepit armor. As he dusts off the breastplate he gets an excited look in his eyes. He nibbles on a corner, then spits and smiles triumphantly - the breastplate is made of adamantium!

Elthan turns back to the kneeling skeleton and pulls the dagger out of its sternum. As he does so, the skeleton collapses into a pile of dusty bones. Elthan replaces the dagger into the scabbard; it is a perfect fit. Elthan then puts the dagger down and reaches for the two bracers, which slip easily off of the skeleton's wrists.

Fizahn opens the small leather-bound book. It is filled with the same ancient script that appeared on the seal and even in the other barrow. He can not read it, but the format makes it clear that it is some kind of journal or diary.

Linda borrows some silk rope from Elthan (having none of her own). She uses her magic to raise the rope into the air, and she then attempts to attach it to Sethra's corpse. Though she can lift the rope easily enough, actually coordinating the rope in such a way that it loops around the body and ties into a knot proves to be exceedingly difficult.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-03-18, 06:41 PM
Linda the White

Hmm, it is more difficult than I thought. There is, however, another way. Thokk, can you come here please? Remember how traps for horsemen are set with a rope tied to two trees? We are going to do something similar. You'll catch one end and I, or somebody else, will catch the other. Then we will straighten the rope, position it behind the corpse, lower it to the level of the corpse but above the dais and move the rope-and thus the corpse too-away from the dais.
Unless, of course, someone has a grappling hook.

OOC: Not sure it is clear enough what I suggest doing.

Erikkin
2005-03-18, 11:05 PM
Fizahn:

"Hey! I'm uneducated, could one of you scolarly types come over here and read this book to me?"

*Fizahn holds up the journal/diary/whathaveyou.*

"I think it might be a tiny bit important."

griffon666
2005-03-19, 12:53 AM
Elthan:

"Alright." Elthan goes over to Fizahn and checks out the book.

Dr._Bob
2005-03-19, 10:00 AM
Elthan looks the book over, but has no more luck deciphering it than Fizahn did. The script resembles Draconic, but the language itself is so old that Elthan can't really understand it. He is, however, able to phonetically sound out the author's name - Ssa ar lok or "Sarloc".

Linda and Thokk manage to "scrape" Sethra's corpse off of the dais with Graevic's rope. His blackened bones and the rod spill off the platform into a jumble of bones.

Meanwhile, Taern and Graevic have turned their attention to the corpse to the right. He is fully suited in chainmail, which seems to have been the source of the magic aura. Like the platemail clad fighter, this adventurer appears unarmed initially. Nearby, however, Taern finds a charred oak stick. It looks like it was once the handle for a warhammer or battle axe, but the head of the weapon is missing.

McMouse
2005-03-20, 03:49 PM
Taern Torminson

*Taern stands back from the corpse-looting of the others, shaking her head, and looking worridly about*

I dont know if we should be doing this.... these bodies have lain undisturbed for centuries, their spirits might come back to haunt us.

*Shakes her head*

We should be giving these warriors a proper burial, not looting their corpses. That undead thing's rod, however, would be okay to take.

*Crosses her arms, and sighs again*

sacreddeamon
2005-03-20, 05:47 PM
Thokk

"Lass, we will worry about that when the time comes to worry. Untill then, lets see what we can get. Afterwords we will give these warriors a proper burial"

OOC: Search Check around the room, to see if there is anything else. I will take the time for a 20 if we have time

Dr._Bob
2005-03-21, 01:15 AM
In the back of the room, Thokk finds the fourth adventurer's body. He appears to have been killed by some kind of blast of energy or fire - an inverse silhouette has been seared into the wall, capturing his last moment alive. His skeleton now lies at the base of the wall. Rotting leather holds his bones together. Only his grey cloak and his fine embroidered gauntlets remain relatively intact. A charred stick is all that remains of his bow, still clenched in his left hand. A quiver lies next to him, the arrows long since turned to ash.

Graevic sympathizes with Taern's moral dilemma, and he is in complete agreement that the remains should be given a decent burial. (Also, like Taern, he refused to partake in any spoils from the looted barrow.) However, he argues that any magic relics found here would be best put to use in the fight against evil rather than buried and lost forever. Graevic points out that these four adventurers died trying to rid the world of a great evil, and no doubt they would smile upon any adventurers who would use their gear for similar purposes.

McMouse
2005-03-21, 10:32 AM
Taern Torminson

*gnaws her lip a bit*

I guess you're right, Graevic... I suppose they -would- have wanted us to use their equiptment to continue the fight. But we must give them a proper burial as soon as possible.

Erikkin
2005-03-21, 05:20 PM
Fizahn:

"Exactly as I would have said it, a great argument for a great moral dilemma Graevic."

*Fizahn returns to the knapsack and carefully pulls out and examines each flask.*

Dr._Bob
2005-03-21, 11:14 PM
Fizahn examines the flasks carefully. Liquid still sloshes inside the sealed vessels.

After a careful examination of the room is completed, the list of "items of interest" include:

a journal belonging to someone named Sarloc
a dagger (in scabbard)
a pair of wrist bracers (plain metal)
an adamantium breastplate
a suit of chainmail
embroidered gauntlets
a grey cloak

From Sethra's body, you have recovered:

a ring, engraved with spirals
a black serpentine rod with garnet eyes

Nothing matching the description of Sethra's famed fire opal (from Elthan's research) is found.

As you gather to look over the special items you have recovered, it occurs to each of you that it might be a good idea to climb up onto the dais.

McMouse
2005-03-21, 11:34 PM
Taern Torminson

*Taern takes a quick, curious, glance over the items. Her eyes linger over the chainmail and the ring which came off of the necromancer. She stops staring and gazes off into the distance a moment, then turns and dutifully climbs up onto the dias.*

"If no one else wants the chainmail or that ring, I am sure that some manner of ritual could be worked out with the spirits of the dead adventurers."

sacreddeamon
2005-03-22, 12:23 AM
Thokk

"Lass, that ring came from the Necromancer. It might be a good idea for it to be checked out before you decide to play with it"

*looks at the others*

"Im still getting a hankering something is on that step. Ill step onto it, but incase any creepy crawlies come and get me, tie a rope to my waist so I can be pulled backward if there is an emergency. Or more of those forgin' illusions..."

Second time...

griffon666
2005-03-22, 02:54 PM
Elthan

Elthan goes to the serpentine rod from Sethra's and starts examining it.

OOC: I still have detect magic plus I'm seaching the rod for anything unusual.

Erikkin
2005-03-22, 08:57 PM
Fizahn:

"No, Thokk. I should be the one to check out the platform. I have better reactions than you, and am more aware of detail. These endeavors require the proper strategy also, while you would just climb on up there, I think that it is a much better idea to examine the base prior to walking on it's surface. Elthan, would you be so kind as to check if there is magic radiating from the platform itself."

*Fizahn takes 20 on a search check going around the platform and examining the base where it is connected to the floor; if he doesn't find anything suspicious or harmful, he will climb up onto the platform and examine its surface.*

Dr._Bob
2005-03-22, 11:14 PM
Elthan carefully examines the black rod, noting that it radiates a significant aura of necromancy. The rod is made of kamagong (a dark hardwood) and has been carved in the likeness of a sinuous snake. Its eyes are small red gems (garnets), and its mouth is agape, revealing polished ivory fangs.

While Thokk and Fizahn debate the best way to approach the dais, Taern simply steps up on the platform. As Thokk and Fizahn look at her in horror, she simply shrugs her shoulders and says, "What?"

What she doesn't see, because she is facing her companions, is that behind her against the far wall (opposite the entrance to the chamber), a "doorway" of sorts has opened ...

A 10 ft x 10 ft square has appeared in the rear wall of the chamber. For an instant, the room is filled with light and heat, almost as if a blast furnace has been opened. Taern turns and observes with the rest of the party a portal into another world/dimension of fire and smoke, ash and lava. Through the opening walk 4 small dwarf-sized creatures that appear to be made of molten stone. They leer at the party as the opening behind them vanishes. One seems to ask a question, "Krazzakka?" Even from across the room, each of you can feel the heat radiating from their bodies ...

McMouse
2005-03-23, 12:37 AM
Taern Torminson

*startled, Taern leaps off of the dias*

What in Tymora's good name are -those-?!

*Taern reaches for her axe*

griffon666
2005-03-23, 03:38 AM
Elthan

Seeing the fiery creatures, Elthan let's his spell slip from his mind. He seems relieved to stop concentrating on the spell. After clearing up his ideas from a couple of seconds, he reachs for his crossbow.

OCC: After that he will load it of course, and wait until the fiery creatures move to decide what course of action would be more suitable.

Erikkin
2005-03-23, 07:56 AM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn looks at the fiery dwarves and says hello in common, gnome, and draconic, trying to communicate with them.*

Dr._Bob
2005-03-23, 05:52 PM
The four small creatures slowly walk toward you. They are about 50 ft away, and the dais is in between you and them (except for Taern who is on the dais, about 40 ft from them).

The "leader" asks again, "Krazzakka? Nik krakkazza?"

They do not appear to be armed or armored. They radiate intense heat, however, and their fingers end in sharp red-black claws. They continue to smile at you.

It occurs to each of you that you probably ought to attack them and kill them as quickly as possible before they kill you.

McMouse
2005-03-23, 07:43 PM
Taern Torminson

*Taern frowns a moment, then quickly draws her axe, and lets out a roar, charging the creatures*

"Little thingies! I'll kill you before you kill me! Yaaaaaaaaaaaarg!"

Initiative +1

Charge, Power Attack for 2 points, +6 for 1d12+5 damage

Fortitude Save +5 if applicable.

sacreddeamon
2005-03-23, 07:53 PM
Thokk

"NO LASS, DONT ATTACK THEM"

*Thokk tries to stop and tackle her before she can do anything stupid*

"I know what those are. They are Azers, Fire Dwarfs. We used to communicate with them in my old home. They wont attack us if we dont provoke them, I hope. Anybody speak the launguage of the Fire People, Ignan? I dont really remember how to say anything..."

*Yell out to them in Dwarfish, see if they respond. Also try to speak some slow common for them.*

OOC: Can I make a check to see if I can come up with any Ignan?

Dr._Bob
2005-03-24, 12:57 AM
Thokk dives at Taern's feet, attempting to tackle her, but she nimbly avoids him, jumps off the dais, and continues her charge.

As she closes in, Taern feels her eyebrows singed by the heat radiating from the creatures, but without hesitation she swings her greataxe in a graceful yet powerful arc that catches the lead creature right in the neck. The head of Taern's greataxe sinks deeply into the creature, yet it hardly seems to react. Even more alarmingly, the head of Taern's greataxe melts into slag from the contact with this lava-monster.

Graevic shouts out, "Those are no Azers! They must be some kind of fire demons! Kill them, Thokk, before they kill us!"

OOC: Combat details posted in OOC thread.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-03-24, 06:01 AM
OOC: Crap. And I know Celestial. Demons speak celestial. We could have negotiated :P Will post actions in OOC thread.

sacreddeamon
2005-03-24, 10:18 AM
Thokk

"I dont know, lad..."

*Thokk takes out his longbow and gets it ready, but does not train it on the Azers*

McMouse
2005-03-24, 09:34 PM
Taern Torminson

THey're demons! I gotta kill the demons!

Taern disengages, and looks wildly about for something she could use as a weapon.

OOC: Where is the nearest weapon from the remains of the adventurers?

Dr._Bob
2005-03-25, 12:44 AM
Thokk draws back his mighty longbow and fires an arrow straight through the right eye of the creature facing Taern. The arrow immediately combusts and turns to ash, but the damage has been done, and the fiery creature collapses face first onto the stone floor.

Taern scrambles away, throwing away the now useless shaft of her greataxe. She dashes to the pile of recovered items, seeing only two possible weapons - the sheathed dagger and the ebony serpentine rod.

Linda attempts to negotiate in Celestial, but her diplomatic efforts are somewhat hampered by Fizahn and Elthan who both strike the creatures flanking the slain leader. Fizahn shoots one with a crossbow bolt, but the bolt seems to vaporize on contact with the monster without damaging it. Elthan's pair of magic missiles seems to fare better - the creature he hits roars in pain.

The three remaining creatures look at each other and wordlessly begin to advance on your group (standing 50 ft away, behind the dais). As they close in, the intense heat they radiate starts to take on almost a physical presence.

McMouse
2005-03-25, 12:50 AM
Taern Torminson

*Taern lookes confusedly between the two weapons, frantically trying to decide on which to use. Finally, her mind clicks, and she reaches out for the bigger one. Turning, she snarls and brandishes the rod on her hand, yelling a war-cry, then thunders toward the nearest fire-dwarf*

Tymora grant me luck! RrrrrrAAAAAARRRRR!!!

sacreddeamon
2005-03-26, 10:48 AM
Thokk

"Sorry lads, you are right, those ARNT AZERS. lets keep killing them!"

*Draws back Bow again, and lets fly at another evil deamon*

OOC: How far away are they, and do I reconize them as either devils or demons, due to research on the demons?

Dr._Bob
2005-03-26, 08:03 PM
Thokk isn't sure exactly what plane these creatures are from, but it certainly isn't this one. Demon, devil, or "other"? All he knows is that they don't belong here.

Thokk and Fizahn both step back, reload, and fire again. The creature (#2) ducks and Thokk's arrow flies over its head. Fizahn's aim is true however and his bolt strikes the creature in the chest. Once again, though, the arrow immolates on contact and turns to ash.

Elthan blasts his target (creature #3) with another pair of magtic missiles, and it falls.

Taern charges, leaping across the dais, swinging the rod like a club. Creature #4 intercepts Taern, blocking her frenzied blows with its rock hard forearms. Taern's eyebrows and armor start to smoke from being in such close proximity to the creatures - it is almost like fighting the sun in hand to hand combat. The creatures move to attack her, but their movements are slow and clumsy. She dodges their claws easily, but the intense heat is almost unbearable.

Linda continues to call out in Celestial. Her words have no effect. Suddenly, a stray spark from the melee lands on her, and the hem of her white robe catches fire. She screams as she pats the flames out with her hands.

OOC: There are now two creatures (#2 and #4) standing side-by-side. Taern has engaged both by herself. Thokk, Elthan, Linda, and Fizahn are 20 ft back on the other side of the dais.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-03-27, 03:36 PM
LOL! Usually, when you ready an action and attempt negotiations you release the attack at the first sign of negotiations fail-my mistake I didn't say so but still. OK, Linda will release the readied action (if still valid) and continue will MMs

sacreddeamon
2005-03-28, 10:03 AM
Thokk

"Lass get back and try to ingage them in ranged!"

*Steps back and Fires another Shot at the evil thingies*

McMouse
2005-03-28, 11:18 AM
Taern Torminson

*Taern, eyes red and skin scorched, ignores Thokk, but recognising her precarious position, jumps backwards, putting a few feet between her and the creatures and drops into a defensive stance. Warding off blows, she fumbles around with one hand, grasping for a blue-green vial.*

I've got to protect the others! If these demon-spawn get past me, the whole party will fall!

OOC: Five foot step backwards, away from the "demons". Total defence action for AC of 19, move action to get a potion of Cure Light Wounds from pack.

Dr._Bob
2005-03-28, 12:23 PM
Everyone falls back slightly as the lava creatures continue to advance. Taern dodges and deflects their clumsy swipes as she readies a healing potion.

A hail of missiles from Thokk, Fizahn, and Elthan fails to stop creature #2 as it lumbers forward.

Linda fires magic missiles at creature #4. The pair of energy bolts swoops around Taern and arcs into the monster in a shower of sparks. It shrugs the damage off, however, and continues to swipe at Taern.

Thokk begins to feel more than a bit warm sealed inside his platemail. The hot metal sears him where it contacts his skin.

Linda's robe continues to smolder, causing serious burns on her legs.

sacreddeamon
2005-03-28, 12:36 PM
Thokk

"ARG, damn beasties, to the forge with you!"

*Keeps trying to pump arrows into the creatures*

Dr._Bob
2005-03-29, 08:18 PM
Thokk, Fizahn, and Elthan stand with their backs to the wall and continue to fire at creature #2. One of their missiles strikes the creature squarely in the chest. A small gush of magma spills out before the bolt is turned to cinders. The creature roars in pain.

Taern continues to harry both creatures, preventing them from closing with the archers and magic users in the back row. She calls out for Graevic to summon some aid, but she gets no response. She glances back and sees Graevic kneeling down next to the dais, completely uninvolved in the melee.

Taern turns back to the fire creatures, her parries and counterblows keep the creatures from advancing, but her luck runs out when one of them gets a hold of her left arm. She cries out in pain as her armor sizzles. The creature refuses to let go, and the rest of the party watches in horror as her leather jerkin catches on fire. Taern collapses, still burning.

Linda raises her hand to blast the creature holding Taern, but her magical energies have been depleted and her spell fizzles uselessly.

The relentless heat continues to take its toll on the party. If the battle is not finished soon, it is not clear that anyone will survive.

sacreddeamon
2005-03-29, 08:36 PM
Thokk

*Quickly taking one last pot shot at the injured Demon, then dropping bow and drinking potion of cure serious wounds*

"HOLD ON LASSIE, IM COMMING FOR YE"

*Looks over at Galvic*

"What in the name of the sacred hammer ARE YOU DOING????? HELP US OUT"

OOC: How did Galvic decide he wanted to be roleplayed?

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-03-29, 08:54 PM
Linda takes out a potion of cure light wounds and drinks it down immediately.

griffon666
2005-03-30, 02:52 AM
Elthan

"Taern!"

Elthan looks at Taern, dropping his crossbow. He then starts chanting some mystical words, blood in his eyes(or in this case, lava).

OOC: The dropping of the crossbow is a free action. He will then cast a magic missle at the fire-thingy next to Taern. After, he will run towards her. Next round he will take off his cloak and try to stop the fire. In the hypothetical(and very likely) senario that the fire monster is not dead, far from Taern or occupied fighting Thokk, he will throw his cloak on her and then pull her to safety. I would like to remind you at this point that its a cloak of friggin resistance, so don't you dare set it on fire.

Dr._Bob
2005-03-30, 10:24 PM
Thokk fires an arrow deep into creature #2, who cries out again and staggers backward a step or two. Fizahn's shot creases the monster without doing much damage.

Linda quickly swallows a potion to boost her strength, but the furnace-like heat and her burns make her weak. She barely clings to consciousness.

Elthan throws his crossbow aside and blasts creature #4 with more magic missiles. It drops to the ground in a cloud of sparks and ash.

Creature #2 steps over Taern's smoldering body and closes the gap to the back row. Thokk drops his bow and manages to raise his shield just in time to deflect one of the lava monster's blows.

Thokk gropes for a healing potion. Fizahn drops his crossbow and draws his rapier. Elthan dodges around the small lava creature to get to Taern. As he does so, he begins to whip off his cloak, hoping to put out the flames on her body. He can only hope he won't be too late ...

sacreddeamon
2005-03-30, 10:33 PM
Thokk

"Ha, Ill destoy you yet you vile creature!"

Dr._Bob
2005-03-31, 11:20 PM
Time seems to stand still as each of you looks from Taern, lying helpless on the floor, to the last remaining lava creature, who appears to be significantly injured but still dangerous.

The actions you take at this moment might determine whether Taern lives or dies.

Erikkin
2005-04-01, 09:15 AM
Fizahn

"TAERN!! Someone help her! Thokk and I will get rid of this monster! Thokk, move around so that you're behind it, I'll try to keep it distracted!"

*Fizahn readies himself to move into Thokk's spot and readies his rapier to parry incoming attacks.*

OOC: Fizahn's going to try to keep the monster occupied with him, but he can't hurt it with his melee attack, so he's going to be in full defense mode.

sacreddeamon
2005-04-01, 12:50 PM
Thokk

"Ach lad, You sneak that thing as hard as you can, Ill keep it from hurting her"

Dr._Bob
2005-04-01, 10:43 PM
Elthan removes his cloak, feeling immediately the blast of heat (that the cloak had partially shielded him from) emanating from the monster. He kneels at Taern's side and throws his cloak over her motionless body. Smothering the flames as best he can, he tries not to gag at the smell of her burning flesh. He empties his waterskin over her for good measure. He leans down, close to her face ... Thank the gods, she still breathes!

Thokk downs a healing potion while Fizahn moves forward to harry the remaining lava beast. Fizahn distracts the creature while Thokk maneuvers around behind it to both flank the creature and to shield Elthan and Taern from any additional attacks.

Thokk bends over to pick up the black serpentine staff that Taern had been using to fight the beast. The lava monster, realizing it is now flanked, spins around and claws at Thokk, causing searing wounds and setting his backpack ablaze.

Meanwhile, Linda, fighting to stay conscious, uncorks another healing potion and drinks it down greedily. She immediately feels strong enough to stand up, but she hesitates, unsure what she can do to help her friends.

OOC: The lava monster is flanked - Fizahn on one side, Thokk on the other. Linda stands behind Fizahn. Elthan and Taern are kneeling/lying behind Thokk. Thokk's backpack is on fire.

sacreddeamon
2005-04-02, 11:27 AM
Thokk

"Fizan, STRIKE HIM NOW!"

*Thokk uses the total defenseive action to keep from getting hurt withouth a weapon. He also shurgs off his backpack if able."

"Elthan, hand me the staff that the lassie was using!"

"

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-04-02, 06:13 PM
Linda the White

I wonder...
Linda immediately starts casting a minor spell still unsure of if it will help.

OOC: Create Water-trying to conjure a downpour on the burning creature. It is a cantrip and I still have 3 of those.

Erikkin
2005-04-02, 11:59 PM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn looks at his rapier and says a short prayer for it before stabbing at the demon/devil/really evil thingy.*

griffon666
2005-04-03, 12:26 AM
Elthan:

"Hold on Taern!"

OOC: Elthan will try to give Taern a cure moderate wound potion.

Dr._Bob
2005-04-04, 07:03 PM
Thokk grabs the black rod and prepares to defend himself against the lava monster, but after Fizahn pricks it in the ass with his rapier, the creature whirls around and swipes at the gnome who ducks away, feeling the hairs on the back of his neck get singed.

Linda waves her hands and calls out, producing a brief shower of rain inside the chamber. The raindrops hiss and evaporate in puffs of steam as they contact the lava monster, but the drizzle does put out the fire on Thokk's back, preventing him from taking further damage.

Meanwhile, Elthan gently administers a healing potion to Taern. As the liquid dribbles into her mouth, her open burns begin to heal over, and she opens her eyes.

OOC: Sorry for my absence. Internet connection problems prevented me from posting this weekend.

sacreddeamon
2005-04-04, 08:31 PM
Thokk

"Now, to the Pits with you!"

*Baseball swings AWAY!*

griffon666
2005-04-04, 09:28 PM
Elthan:

Elthan, seeing that Taern is alive, turns around and starts casting a spell.

OOC: Cool, I have a 1st level spell left, magic missle away!

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-04-05, 04:54 AM
Seeing that her conjured rain has reduced the heat somewhat Linda will repeat the spell so that her friends don't catch fire again (hopefully)

Erikkin
2005-04-05, 07:05 AM
Fizahn:

"Ha! That's right demon! Kill me!"

*Fizahn stabs the demon again while in partial defense.*

sacreddeamon
2005-04-05, 08:25 PM
Thokk

"HAHAHAHA, Lets Bring this thing DOWN!"

Dr._Bob
2005-04-05, 10:13 PM
Thokk clubs the lava beast across the back of its head while Fizahn pokes and prods it with his rapier. It is Elthan's magic missiles, however, that finally drop the monster.

The four creatures' bodies cool rapidly, and Linda's rain shower quickly turns their ashen remains into a gray mud. The rain also washes the soot from your faces and cools your bodies.

The room is silent except for the falling raindrops as everyone catches his or her breath ...

clap, clap, clap

"Bravo, adventurers! Those poor magmin didn't stand a chance!"

Graevic stands up from beside the dais, picking up a bright red egg-shaped gem and slipping it into one of his pockets. He smiles at you as he draws his scimitar ...

McMouse
2005-04-05, 10:29 PM
Taern Torminson

*Taern smiles shakily at Graevic*

What... what's the scimitar for? And why didnt you... fight? Did you see an evil spirit?

*Looks around worridly*

sacreddeamon
2005-04-06, 10:27 AM
Thokk

"Indeed."

*Notices he didnt fight and how he took the egg*

"Hrm, that was a very nice gem. Very nice indeed. Maybe you should put away your little dagger and let me hold onto it and explain why you didnt help us fight."

*Readies an action to Throw Alchemists fire, and then partial charge and attacked if needed*

"Hey, anyone have a potion to heal, or spells left? Im a little dinged up.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-04-06, 12:22 PM
Linda the White

I think that Master Graevik here let us do the dirty job and he takes the reward-or at least some of it-right? What I don't understand is why you didn't help us-with your help we'd win easily and you could take that gem if you wished. Unless, ofcourse, this gem is more than it appears to be and you planned to kill us all along. Even so, I don't think we should resolve to violence. A life is more valuable than treasure-wether it is our own or sb else's. If the others agree as well I have no problem with you leaving with it-I was never too fond of treasure.

Erikkin
2005-04-06, 05:08 PM
Fizahn:

"Come now Graevic, there's no need to get violent about this. I've seen a vast amount of gems in my day, but I would like to see one so amazing that you would risk death in a fight where you're outnumbered five to one against your former companions. I think we should at least be able to see what you'd risk fighting us for."

*Fizahn moves up next to Thokk.*

"If you really do want to fight, you should know that we won't go easy on you and that Thokk's-" *Fizahn pats Thokk on the back.* "-sword won't melt against your flesh."

*Fizahn whispers to Thokk.* "There is a chance that the gem is corrupting him."

sacreddeamon
2005-04-06, 08:08 PM
Thokk

"Right lad, rethink what you are doing. Remember, we all worked and fought together. Try not to do anything stupid

OOC: Diplomacy check, trying to recall comradelyness between him and our lovely party. I sugest the rest of you also make Diplomacy checks

Dr._Bob
2005-04-06, 10:20 PM
Graevic looks down at his hands and his scimitar.

"I think I like this body. So young. So strong."

He looks up and almost sneers at your battered, scorched appearances.

"Step aside, fools. It has been a long time since I have killed anyone, but I believe that I still remember how it is done."

His accent is strange and hard to place.

griffon666
2005-04-07, 12:25 AM
Elthan:

Elthan looks confused, then amazed. "No, I don't beleive it!" He then goes for his crossbow.

OOC: If the dude doesn't react, Elthan will then load it and go with Thokk and Fizahn.

McMouse
2005-04-07, 01:16 AM
Taern Torminson

*Confused and bewildered, Taern takes a slow look around the room before looking back to Graevic*

Who are you going to kill? There's no enemies here. There's only.... us....

*A look of horrified comprehension spreads across her face, then she gives a shaky smile*

This is a joke, right? A silly, funny joke? Right?

Wrong

*Taern shakily gropes for her bow as she achingly stands*

Erikkin
2005-04-07, 06:58 AM
Fizahn:

"Stupid immortal spirits, always possessing other people! We'll stop you, Sethra is it? Or are you a different spirit? We really don't have a choice Thokk..." *Fizahn points his rapier at Graevic/Sethra/Evil-spirit-possessed-former-companion.* "We have to defeat him..."

sacreddeamon
2005-04-07, 09:00 AM
Thokk

"Taern, an Evil Spirit is trying to take hold of Galvic. The only way we can free Galvic is make enough holes in his body for the spirit to fall out."

I hope this works

"Galvic, or whoever you are, last chance for you to get out and get lost. Otherwise, you loose whatever hold you have on the material world"

Dr._Bob
2005-04-08, 12:03 PM
Graevic (or whoever seems to be possessing Graevic) laughs.

"Dwarf, would you so hastily draw your friend's blood? If you kill this vessel, I can always find another, but where will your friend Graevic's soul go if this body is destroyed?

"Let me pass. I have no quarrel with any of you. It is Sarloc blood I desire. I vowed to rid the world of his kin, and now you've given me a second chance."

As he speaks, Graevic moves forward slowly until he is standing next to the bones of Sarloc. He places one booted foot on Sarloc's skull.

"He thwarted me once, but he'll not interfere again. I swear to you now on his bones that I shall see the last of his bloodline die by my hands."

Erikkin
2005-04-08, 02:49 PM
Fizahn:

"Ummm.... Linda, isn't the necromancer Sethra? I think that the bard is Sarloc..."

*Fizahn looks at Graevic/Sethra/Demon-possessed-former-companion.*

"Why do you want to hunt down all of Sarloc's heirs? How would you even know who was his heir? And we can get you a better body to possess than Graevic's. If that gem is really how you possess people, then it would be easy. We could sell you, the gem, to a noble, and after you're done using all his wealth and power, you could have a pick from anyone in his private army to further your whims... It would be much easier than using Gravic, who's practically unknown and broke."

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-04-08, 03:04 PM
Damn-wasn't paying attention :-[

McMouse
2005-04-09, 12:20 AM
Taern Torminson

An evil spirit?! You guys should have listened to me.

*frowning deeply in concentration, she fumbles in her pack for a torch with green, crackling flames and an ornate plume from some exotic bird*

*Boldly (and foolishly) she steps forward and booms out in authoritative tones of Elvish*

Spirit, I draw you out with this purifying flame! Leave the body of my friend, it is not him you want! Leave him and begone, for this world is not your world. Your defeat is near and.. uhh... uhh...

*thinks for a moment*

Oh! And your doom will follow. Body be cleansed by this flame, and walk free of posession once more!

*With the final words, she crosses the torch and the feather and closes her eyes tightly, obviously waiting for some brilliant magical effect.*

sacreddeamon
2005-04-09, 09:55 AM
Thokk

"Whoever you be, I have a certain vendetta against possesors. It is tradition that it is better for those that are possessed to die then to further evil and perverted dreams. But, we do not know who you are. Hence you have the chance to explain or we will simply make sure your gem is not found for a long, long time. Or, even better, we will smash the gem."

*Looks to Fizan*

"He makes a point. Now explain, if you will"

Dr._Bob
2005-04-10, 11:03 AM
Graevic looks amused as Taern performs her exorcism. "Ouch!" he offers, sarcastically.

"A tradition, you say, dwarf? I can see how you might feel that way, but I suspect that Graevic might feel otherwise."

He begins walking toward the exit.

"Oh, and thanks for the offer of help, gnome, but I believe that I will be able to manage just fine without your assistance. In return for the help you have given me so far, I leave you with your small little lives. Farewell!"

McMouse
2005-04-10, 10:32 PM
Oh no you dont, evil spirit. Us Torminsons have more drastic measures for pesky possessors!

OOC: How far away is Graevic?

Dr._Bob
2005-04-11, 09:32 AM
OOC: Your group is gathered near the exit and Graevic is only about 20 ft away, walking slowly towards you.

sacreddeamon
2005-04-11, 10:54 AM
Thokk

*Readies an action to attack as soon as he steps into my threatened area*

"I would suggest you not go by untill you at least answer some questions, Sethra. At least tell why you must destroy Sarloc's kin, and on a more personal note, what do you know of the denizens of the lower plains?"

OOC: Ready an action, so if he steps into my area I get two free attacks on him, one AoO and one regular for ready. Im going to try and talk to him to stall him, pickpocket or mage hand if you can. I think he is using the magic jar spell.

Dr._Bob
2005-04-11, 03:04 PM
Graevic/Sethra continues to walk slowly toward your group as he speaks ...

He tells a tale of two young boys who grew up in the Unapproachable East. They were friends at first, then rivals, as both demonstrated aptitude in the arcane arts.

Both apprenticed in ancient Thay (not yet the Red Wizard magocracy you know today). Their rivalry might have remained a friendly one had not both of them fallen in love with the same woman.

She chose Sarloc over Sethra, and her fate was sealed. She and two of her children died in an augmented fireball. Sarloc decided that the only way to protect his remaining son was to hunt down Sethra and end things once and for all.

Sarloc almost succeeded. Sarloc's three companions were killed, but Sarloc managed to kill Sethra - or so he thought. At the last minute, Sethra was able to magic jar himself into the hidden Fire Opal. From the gem, he attacked Sarloc's spirit, and Sarloc, weakened from the battle, felt his soul slipping away.

In a final act of defiance, Sarloc plunged his own dagger into his heart, killing himself, thereby depriving Sethra of any body to transfer into.

Sethra's spirit remained trapped in the Fire Opal for centuries. Hatred and a thirst for revenge growing in his disembodied heart. You felt his mental prodding earlier before the battle with the magmin. It was Graevic's body that Sethra successfully possessed.

His tale told, Graevic/Sethra now stands by the doorway, surrounded by your entire party. Thokk blocks his way, and he is flanked by Taern and Elthan on his right and Linda and Fizahn on his left. You are all 10 ft away from him.

He seems remarkably unconcerned that your group forms a circle around him. It occurs to Fizahn that maybe he has you right where he wants you ...

Erikkin
2005-04-11, 09:01 PM
Fizahn:

"Scramble! We're easy prey for a fireball!"

*Fizahn breaks rank and heads toward Sethra, baring his rapier.*

McMouse
2005-04-11, 11:58 PM
Taern Torminson

That's a really sad story, but still no reason to posess our friend.

*Taern drops the torch and the feather*

Now like old Rychtin said, "If ye can't will it out, it's yer bound duty te force it out!"

*With those words, Taern leaps on Graevic, attempting to grab his arms and wrestle him to the ground.*

OOC Sethra gets an AoO. If it hits, the process is aborted. (AC 15)

Taern's melee touch attack: +7 (flanking)
-If that hits, we're (almost) grappling

Opposed grapple checks. Taern: +5

If Taern is not hit by the AoO, hits the touch attack, and wins the opposed grapple check, Sethra takes 1d3+2 nonlethal damage, can only cast spells without a stomatic component with a Concentration check (DC 20+Spell level)

Dr._Bob
2005-04-12, 10:28 AM
With a roar, Taern lunges at Graevic, shooting in and underhooking both of his arms. He struggles, but Taern quickly ducks under his left arm and gets Graevic in a painful "chicken wing" armlock.

Fizahn also closes in, rapier en pointe, but his keen eyes spot something concerning. Graevic is wearing two rings, one made of reddish iron and one made of gold, that he wasn't wearing before descending into the crypt. Fizahn shouts out a warning, but it is too late ...

A dense bluish-black fog oozes outward from Graevic's right hand, quickly engulfing everyone within 20 ft. Not only does the thick fog hamper sight and movement, it burns on contact.

Taern hangs on, her eyes sqeezed shut. Thokk gets a lungful of the gas and coughs uncontrollably. Linda, already weakened by the fight with the magmin, collapses outright.

OOC: We're still in the first round. Thokk gets either a move OR an action. Fizahn and Elthan can act normally. Everyone's move is limited to 5 ft however.

sacreddeamon
2005-04-12, 11:38 AM
THokk

"Ach, bad choice Taern! Worse choice Foul Necromancer!"

*Thokk will take a step to the side, and draw his bow*

McMouse
2005-04-13, 08:20 PM
Taern Torminson

ARRGGH!!

Damn you, spirit! Make it go away or I break your little neck! Make it stop!

*Taern attempts to grab ahold of Graevic's head with one hand and snatch the rings off of his hand with her other hand.*

Erikkin
2005-04-14, 02:49 PM
Fizahn:

"LINDA!"

*Fizahn grabs Linda's arm and hoists her over his shoulder, while running as fast as he can out of the fog.*

Dr._Bob
2005-04-14, 10:55 PM
Linda is too heavy for Fizahn to pick up, so he simply grabs her wrist and drags her out of the fog. Elthan likewise backs out of the thick mist. The fog clings like a thick soup, but they break free, gasping and coughing. Linda, though unconscious, still clutches her staff in her hand, which provides the only illumination in the room. Elthan and Fizahn kneel over Linda protectively and watch the fog closely for any signs of Taern and Thokk ...

Deep in the heart of the mist, Taern grapples desperately with Graevic. She pins him to the ground with his left hand twisted around behind his back. His scimitar clatters away harmlessly from his right hand as he struggles to stand. Taern peels his fingers open and begins to tug at the gold ring. She almost has the ring off ... so close ... so ... close ...

Thokk staggers backward into the entranceway. Moving in the fog feels like wading through molasses, and the acid burns his skin and eyes and sears his lungs. Thokk draws his bow and blocks the exit with his stocky frame. "Over my dead body," he thinks to himself as consciousness slips away ...

Dr._Bob
2005-04-15, 09:58 PM
Elthan resuscitates Linda with a healing potion. Her eyes flutter open, "What happened?" She looks around, "Where are Thokk and Taern?"

Fizahn looks at the dense acid fog. "I ... I don't think they made it ..."

It takes another minute for the fog to disperse. When it does and the doorway becomes visible again, there is no sign of Graevic, Taern, or Thokk.

Erikkin
2005-04-16, 07:37 AM
Fizahn:

"We gotta get out of here, I doubt very much that they're still in the crypt!"

*Fizahn starts heading toward the doorway.*

"Once we get out, if we still haven't found them, we can talk to Oden to see if he has anything that can help us find them. If he doesn't, then we'll talk to every single villager to see if they've seen anyone that looks like Taern, Thokk, or Graevic."

OOC: I assume you'll be communicating with McMouse and Sacreddeamon by private post, while we play here, so our actions aren't influenced by what really happened to them, unless they do have to draw up new characters...

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-04-16, 11:33 AM
Linda the White

I agree we need to leave the crypt-but carefully. I am out of magic spells and we are both badly hurt. Let's go.

griffon666
2005-04-16, 03:08 PM
Elthan:

"Alright, let's move out then." He grabs his shortspear and moves towards the door.

Dr._Bob
2005-04-17, 09:28 PM
Once the fog has cleared, Linda, Fizahn, and Elthan limp out of the main chamber, back into the long hallway. (They make sure that they've secured the items they had recovered from the skeletons; however, any fancy burials or ceremonies for the ancient corpses will have to wait for another day.)

They cautiously backtrack to the round room at the bottom of the vertical shaft. All is silent, but Linda's staff illuminates the small room revealing two bodies lying face down on the floor. One is Thokk. The other is Taern.

There is no sign of Graevic, and the rope you had used to descend from the surface crypt is nowhere to be found.

griffon666
2005-04-18, 12:27 AM
Elthan:

He runs towards the bodies and checks Thokk and Taern for life signs.

If they don't have any: "Damn you Sethra!!!! I swear that I will hunt you for as long as I live!!!!!"

If they are still alive, he will attempt a heal check or something.

Erikkin
2005-04-18, 07:01 AM
Fizahn:

"Are they okay? I kinda left my rope and grappling hook up with my horse... Any suggestions on how we get out of here?"

*Fizahn walks over toward the bodies and blankly stares up the hole.*

Dr._Bob
2005-04-18, 01:25 PM
Elthan rushes over and turns over the bodies gently. Their lips are blue and their faces have already assumed the waxy pallor of the dead.

Elthan bows his head in regret, a vow of revenge on his lips.

Suddenly, Thokk's lips move. The voice Elthan hears is not Thokk's however. The voice is recognizable as Graevic's yet not Graevic's. The strange accented voice intones a parting message:

"I am a man of my word, so I leave you with your small and worthless lives. Cross me again and you will surely die."

The magic mouth fades and Thokk's mouth is his own again. Both Thokk and Taern are barely breathing, but they are alive.

Fizahn looks up the empty shaft in dismay. Elthan has been carrying some silk rope, but it probably isn't long enough to reach the top even if there were a way to get the rope up the shaft.

OOC: Taern and Thokk have been stabilized at -8 HP each.

Erikkin
2005-04-18, 03:02 PM
Fizahn:

"Okay, the way I see it, we have five major problems...
Number one: Sethra. He is an evil-hearted demon who would kill someone just because they liked someone else better than him...
Number two: Sethra. He is extremely powerful, and there is no way we can stand up to him...
Number three: Taern and Thokk. They are both very hurt, and we are out of healing items and spells...
Number four: This crypt. We're stuck and there's no way out of here that we can find.
Number five: Taern and Thokk. Neither of them are in any way fit for exploration, and we need to find a way out of here...
I would also like to add a sixth, and say that Sethra may have taken my horse and/or pony..."

*Fizahn looks forlornly up into the hole, looking for a ladder or something.*

sacreddeamon
2005-04-18, 03:31 PM
Thokk

*If I have regained conscioiuness*

"Lad, carefull, rope in backpack..."

*If not, I cant really say anything*

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-04-18, 03:41 PM
Linda the White
Linda is relieved to see that Taern and Thokk are alive but tries to stay pragmatic:
The way I see it master Fizahn our situation is not so dire:
We all survived where we could have all died a horrible death.
The crypt seems empty and we're safe for the time being.
Sethra is back but his body is not his own-his powers are limited to what Graevic can do. I think that the spell he cast was only through an item-we still have time to stop him before he gets ressurected fully.

Dr._Bob
2005-04-18, 09:10 PM
OOC: Thokk is not conscious, but even if he is mumbling in his sleep, he has forgotten that his rope was the one you originally used to climb down the shaft. It seems to be missing now. To my knowledge, only Elthan thought ahead and carried rope down into the crypt.

sacreddeamon
2005-04-18, 11:34 PM
Thokk

*Mumble Mumble rope*

OOC: Oops

Erikkin
2005-04-19, 06:59 AM
Fizahn:

"Linda, aren't spells just set motions of your hands or words that you recite out of a book? If he gets his spell book back, couldn't he cast any spell that he could before? You were never unable to cast spells because you'd grown an inch overnight, were you? This is merely a growth spurt, or detraction, for him. He is still human, he just changed height, weight, and physical build a bit, similar to what people go through while they're still growing. So it's logical, that he still knows how to cast his spells and can cast them, if he has his spell book and components for it, which were probably both hidden in his room and were retrieved while we were fighting the magmin... How else do you explain the magic mouth on Thokk?"

sacreddeamon
2005-04-20, 09:30 AM
Thokk

*Mumble Mumble Mage Hand?"

griffon666
2005-04-20, 11:36 AM
Elthan:

"Don't worry about getting out of here, I've got that covered, we should worry about keeping Thokk and Taern alive."

OOC:Are they stable? If they are, then Elthan suggests we rest, if not, he will suggest that anybody with healing abilities tend to their wounds.

Dr._Bob
2005-04-20, 06:15 PM
OOC: Taern and Thokk are stable.

I advise against staying in the crypt overnight. For one thing, you probably don't have food or beds. Also, it is one thing to explore a necromancers crypt at high noon, and another thing completely to hang out after the sun goes down ...

griffon666
2005-04-21, 11:14 AM
Elthan

"We should get out of here now." Elthan takes out a scroll from his belt. "I can make anyone here fly for a couple of minutes, but it should be the strongest one since he could carry Thokk and Taern while they are unconscious. Unfortunately, those two are the strongest ones. We could simply go tie a rope like we had done, but its going to be hard to carry two bodies while climbing up the rope."

sacreddeamon
2005-04-21, 01:56 PM
Thokk

"Mumble Mumble tie a bowline Mumble Have Fizan stay at the bottom Mumble Rest lift us up Mumble"

Erikkin
2005-04-21, 02:46 PM
Fizahn:

"Unfair discrimination against gnomes! No one listen to the mumbling unconscious dwarf!"

Dr._Bob
2005-04-21, 10:47 PM
Elthan is the strongest of you at the moment, and so he casts fly on himself. Unfortunately, Linda, Thokk, and Taern prove too heavy for him to lift. Only Fizahn is light enough for Elthan to carry.

The two of them ascend to the upper crypt, where they find that Graevic has cut Thokk's rope free from the log. The hemp rope is nowhere to be seen.

To make matters worse, when Elthan and Fizahn exit the crypt into the blinding noontime sunlight, they find that Graevic has scattered the party's horses.

It takes them almost an hour to retrieve the horses (and Fizahn's pony). They are able to retrieve more rope from their saddlebags - Fizahn's 50 ft of silk rope and Taern's 100 ft of hemp rope, but the fly spell has expired, so some way needs to be found to retrieve Linda, Thokk, and Taern from down below.

griffon666
2005-04-21, 11:31 PM
Elthan:

Using the newly found lengths of ropes, Elthan makes a new way up by tying the rope to the closest, most stable thing he can find.

OOC: Actually, he leaves Fizahn to the rope tiying since he is more skilled at it.

Dr._Bob
2005-04-21, 11:46 PM
Elthan and Fizahn secure the hemp rope onto the tree trunk and drop the other end to Linda who has been patiently waiting below with Thokk and Taern.

Linda could climb up, but obviously neither Thokk nor Taern will be able to.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-04-22, 04:21 AM
Linda the White

After a few moments of thought Linda says to the others:
Fizahn, can you climb down and tie securely the rope to Taern? I was never good with ropes. Then, with Taern tied to its end we two will climb up again and the three of us will haul Taern up. Then we will untie her, throw the rope back down and you will clib down again and tie up Thokk. You'll come up and the three of us will trie to haul him up. I do hope the dwarf hasn't eaten too much today.

Erikkin
2005-04-22, 06:55 AM
Fizahn:

"I think that that's a good idea."

*Fizahn says as he climbs down the rope.*

"But I think that just you and Elthan should haul Taern up, and that I should stay down here to make sure nothing happens to Thokk... and maybe remove some of his armor."

Dr._Bob
2005-04-22, 11:01 AM
It is mid afternoon by the time the three of you are able to retrieve Taern and Thokk.

Fizahn's hands are rubbed raw from climbing up and down the hemp rope and tying countless knots.

There was also a delay when it turned out that Thokk was too heavy to lift while in armor. Fizahn had the pleasant task of "undressing" Thokk - even then, Elthan and Linda were barely able to pull him up.

Thokk's armor and the recovered gear are the last things to be pulled up.

Finally, your mounts are loaded up with Thokk and Taern slung on the backs of their horses. Aholoh, Graevic's badger, appears just before you ride off (from wherever he was hiding). He growls sadly, then waddles off into the Wetwood.

You ride slowly so as not to jostle your friends too much so it is dusk by the time you FINALLY arrive back at Oden Homm's estate. He comes out to greet you with a smile on his face, but when he sees how battered you are, the smile vanishes.

"What happened?" Looking at Taern and Thokk, he asks, "Are they alive? Where's Graevic?"

He calls for help and several workers gently carry Thokk and Taern into the house.

The rest of you all but collapse once you have reached safety. It takes nearly a week of good food and rest before everyone feels back to normal. Fortunately, aided by magical healing, Thokk and Taern make full recoveries.

Once again, you find yourselves gathered around the large table, surveying a variety of weapons, armor, and items that you have recovered from the Wetwood.

OOC: Check OOC thread for a wrap up.

Erikkin
2005-04-22, 02:46 PM
Fizahn:

"I would like to find Aholoh and question him on Graevic's former life, to see if the badger knew his parents, so we can tell them the news..."

Dr._Bob
2005-04-22, 02:55 PM
Fizahn, being hardy like all of his folk and being only moderately injured, made a rapid recovery and made a couple of trips back to the Wetwood while Thokk and Taern continued to mend.

On one visit, he found Aholoh, thin and sad, keeping vigil over the old barrow.

Fizahn brought the badger back with him to Oden Homm's. Now the badger sits on the table amongst the different items you had recovered.

"So who here speaks badger?" inquires Oden wryly.

Erikkin
2005-04-22, 07:30 PM
Fizahn:

"I do!"

*Fizahn uses speak with burrowing mammals, and asks the badger if it is aware of what happened to Graevic.*

McMouse
2005-04-22, 08:27 PM
Taern Torminson

As the days slip by, Taern sits in introspective silence, first in bed, then in a comfortable chair. She sleeps a lot and doesn't say a word. She seems to be thinking long and hard. Finally, on the fifth day, she rises and goes outside with her axe, silently practicing endless stances, swings, parrys, and cuts in the air against invisible opponents. Her brow is furrowed in concentration, and her movements are meticulous, if slow. She spends the rest of the day practicing her axecraft before falling deep asleep.

-----------------

On the sixth day, Taern spends her time pouring through the library, sifting through tomes and books. Anyone who's interested notices several books about dragons or having to deal with the draconic language.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-04-22, 09:33 PM
Upon returning to Oden's house Linda goes to her room and collapses in her bed sleeping for almost two days. She spends the next day in the bath, removing all the dirt from her and her clothes. She goes on lying lazily on her bed for several more days only coming down for breakfast. The last two days you hear blasts coming out of Linda's room and she insists on not being disturbed. At the seventh day she comes down, having fully recovered from the perils of the adventure. She comes where the group gathers to discuss the recent events with Oden but waits for the others to speak first. She seems to be struggling with herself about something.

Dr._Bob
2005-04-22, 11:18 PM
Fizahn consults with Aholoh. The badger saw Graevic emerge from the shaft, but immediately sensed that something was wrong with his master. The badger stayed in hiding and saw Graevic remove the hemp rope, scatter the horses, then head back to the main road on horseback. More than that the badger can not say.

After a week of careful examination and judicious use of detect magic and identify you have the following items laid out on the table:

Items from Sethra's crypt

a cloak of elvenkind
bracers of armor +2
gauntlets of archery +1
a ring of feather fall
an adamantium breastplate
a dagger +2
chainmail +2

Items "looted" from the other crypt

a small, black lacquered chest (still unopened)
a brooch of shielding
an amulet of natural armor
an elemental (water) gem (sort of claimed by Thokk already)

The silver chalice and the black pearl were exchanged in town for a string of a dozen white pearls that were used in casting the multiple identify spells. Furthermore, the black staff turned out to be a rod of the viper that Oden Homm immediately insisted on destroying due to its evil nature.

The rest of the items and equipment are yours to divide.

griffon666
2005-04-23, 02:40 PM
Elthan:

Elthan spent his time recovering from the minor wounds he received in the crypt, and discusing with Oden the events that took place in the crypt. He spoke of what was to be done(and maybe searched the library for more information about Sethra and Sarloc's descendants). Most of his free time was spent in the library, searching about Sethra, Sarloc, or just reading book that cought his eye.

sacreddeamon
2005-04-23, 04:06 PM
Thokk

"All I am really wanting are this amulet, brooch and shielding, and this delightful gem..."

*Stares into Gem*

"Just out of curiosity, we should open up the box and see whats inside it"

OOC: I cant really take anything else. I dont need the armor, being that my current Full Plate is better. Bracers of armor would be better for our local sorc. Fizan should take the cloak to help him hide. Gauntlets of archery to whoever is going to be our archer. Anyone else have any suggestions to how we break the items up?

Dr._Bob
2005-04-24, 03:17 PM
While everyone is examining the different items and debating whether to keep or sell them, Thokk fiddles with the black lacquer box (about the size of a large jewelery box). Before anyone can warn him not to, he opens the latch and lifts the lid ...

Fortunately, there are no explosions or other traps (as best anyone can tell). The box appears to be lead lined, thus resistant to magical investigation. Inside the box are a few dozen engraved copper discs. The discs are too large to be just copper coins; they look more like medallions perhaps.

McMouse
2005-04-24, 05:05 PM
Taern Torminson

In a strange ceremoy, to say the least, Taern takes the melted, blasted haft of her axe and builds a small fire outside. She tosses the haft of the axe in and chants some words under her breath in Elvish. When the haft is reduced to nothing more than a few bits of twisted metal, she kicks the fire out and buries the ashes.

Then she rises and jogs into town. About four hours later, she returns with a large sword and three spears thrust into her leather harness to the back. She also has a smaller sword in a sheath to her side, opposite her dagger.

When she sees the metal discs, she immediately pokes through them, examining them closely.

sacreddeamon
2005-04-24, 08:00 PM
Thok

"Hrm, very interesting..."

OOC: Quick appraise check, with the +2 bonus i get for being a dwarf

Erikkin
2005-04-24, 09:12 PM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn spends most of the first day exploring the swamp (as DR mentioned), but after he comes back with Aholoh, he spends much of his time conversing with the badger about Graevic's former life before he met the party and trying to convey to Aholoh what happened to Graevic. As soon as it is found out that it is a Cloak of Elvenkind, Fizahn immediately puts it on, and won't hear anyone else's claims for it if they had any. He also claims the Ring of Feather Fall, claiming that he is "the most likely of us to be thrown off a cliff." Fizahn also takes great offense when the dagger is mentioned and asks whether "any of you morons have ever seen a short sword before?" he takes the dagger because "only someone who first knows what a weapon is can wield it correctly."*

Dr._Bob
2005-04-24, 10:37 PM
The badger is simple minded and has some trouble grasping the idea of Graevic being not-Graevic but still somehow Graevic. In the course of their daily conversations, however, Aholoh seems to have bonded a bit with Fizahn, and the badger can be seen faithfully following around the gnome like a faithful dog.

Taern and Thokk elbow each other as they poke around the copper medallions. Thokk judges that each is probably worth only two copper pieces each (due to their large size). Each disc appears to have a different engraving - stylized stick figures depicting people, groups of people, or creatures (some mundane, some fantastical).

Erikkin
2005-04-25, 03:00 PM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn looks over at Thokk and Taern examining the copper coins and goes over there. He takes one of the coins and examines it closely (search check to see if there's anything he can make out beyond what Thokk and Taern saw, hidden letters, runes etc.).*

"First, we have to take inventory and group them by their pictures using various columns, the type of being on one side, and the number of beings at the top. Type of beings shouldn't be grouped too specifically, I'm suggesting four basic categories, gnome, gnome-oids, mundane animals, and fantastical animals. The numbers are just normal, one, two, three, etc. Once we have these organized, we can break it down into subcategories on gnome-oids, mundane creatures, and fantastical creatures, looking for a pattern. If no pattern can be found, we should go auction a few off, to see if someone finds a hidden value in them."

*Having said his piece, Fizahn idly pulls out his dagger and starts tossing it up in the air and catching it.*

McMouse
2005-04-25, 06:40 PM
Taern shrugs and grins, setting the coins down and watching idly.

Dr._Bob
2005-04-25, 08:46 PM
When Fizahn begins organizing the medallions, Taern drops the ones she was examining back onto the table. One falls off the edge and rolls out the doorway into the adjacent room.

A moment later, from that room, an inhuman screech pierces your ears and curdles your blood.

sacreddeamon
2005-04-25, 09:20 PM
Thokk

*assuming I am wearing no armor and no weapon is available*

"What in Moradins Beard was that?"
*Rushes into the room*

*Assuming I have some armor/Weapon*

"What in Moradins Beard was that?"
*Rushes into the room*

Erikkin
2005-04-25, 09:25 PM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn continues to organize the medallions, but with his dagger in his hand.*

"Taern, will you please either find the medallion you dropped, or, if you can't, tell me what picture was on it. I think that this tells us they're obviously magical, and that we shouldn't sell them..."

Dr._Bob
2005-04-26, 10:27 AM
Thokk rushes into the next room, his sword drawn.

A foul smelling harpy cries out and beats her wings, knocking over furniture and knicknacks. She looks as surprised to be there as anyone else.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-04-26, 11:29 AM
Linda the White

Hearing the screeching sound Linda walks after Thokk carefully and urges the others to follow her. She stays behind Thokk at a safe distance from anything that might be of any danger. Upon seeing the beast she immediately prepares to cast a spell if it makes any offencive moves.

OOC: Ready action: Magic Missile. Will stay off the front line if possible.

griffon666
2005-04-26, 05:31 PM
Elthan

Elthan follows Linda into the room. He will try to cast detect magic, directed at the beast.

OOC: Looking for conjuration aura from a summoning spell.

sacreddeamon
2005-04-26, 05:38 PM
Thokk

*yells to the Harpy*
"Ach, Go back from whence you came, or prepare to taste my blade!"

*whisper to Taern*
"Lass, get ready to out sing that oversized bird if it tries anything"

McMouse
2005-04-26, 07:48 PM
Taern Torminson

*Taern starts, obviously shocked*

Uhh... uhh... I think the coin I uhh.. dropped had a picture of a bird on it... maybe...

*Taern gropes around for something to throw, then remembers that she just bought two new sets of weapons for this precise reason and draws her shortsword.*

Dr._Bob
2005-04-26, 07:50 PM
The harpy beats her wings and screeches menacingly, but she keeps her distance from you.

Elthan studies the creature while the rest of you ready weapons and spells.

The beast does detect as magical (no surprise), but Elthan's brow furrows as he continues concentrating on the harpy, something isn't right ...

griffon666
2005-04-27, 12:41 AM
Elthan:

Frowning in surprise... "The harpy, it's not radiating conjuration, it's radiating an illusion aura..." Elthan says, directed at Linda. He still continues to focus on the aura "It's not dangerous, unless it's some sort of very powerful illusion..."

OOC: I would like to know the strength of the aura.

sacreddeamon
2005-04-27, 07:17 PM
Thokk

*Shudders*

"Ach! Not another Illusion! I really dont like this... Zaldu eren katchpa Moradin grualupa"
*In Dwarven, May the Light of Moradins Forge protect me*

griffon666
2005-04-28, 09:08 AM
Elthan:

"I think we should wait and see what the creature will do, but I would still stay alert and be ready." Elthan continues to concentrate on the creature.

OOC: Still waiting for the strenght of the aura.

Dr._Bob
2005-04-28, 12:29 PM
The harpy herself strongly detects as an illusion . In addition, however, Elthan detects a faint aura of illusion radiating from the coin Taern dropped, which is lying in the middle of the floor.

The harpy continues to flap her wings and screech, but she makes no move to attack.

OOC: Is everyone's character updated? Let me know in the OOC thread if your character is ready for me to look over.

sacreddeamon
2005-04-28, 05:18 PM
Thokk

"Aha! The coin!"

*Thokks walks over and tries to pick up the coin*

Erikkin
2005-04-28, 05:29 PM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn walks into the room right as Thokk moves toward the coin.*

"Don't touch the coin Thokk! I am in the middle of observing the effects of dropping them and you might interrupt the process of science! Just tell me what the picture on it is, if you can see it. Do not disturb the coin! We have no idea what would happen, if you did it might cause the harpy to attack you, for example. Elthan, tell me everything you find out from your magic. Tell me if this coin radiates magic."

*Fizahn holds up one of the medallions. (if any had gnomes on them, that's the one he holds up, preferably two, but if not, he'll hold up one with two humanoids)*

Dr._Bob
2005-04-29, 11:07 AM
Elthan examines the medallion held by Fizahn. "Yes, that disc radiates faint illusion magic as well."

Thokk pays no heed to Fizahn's warning and instead snatches up the coin Taern had dropped from the floor. Instantly, the harpy dissolves into a shower of scintillations. The foul harpy stench likewise dissipates.

"Hmmm." Thokk turns the coin over to examine both sides. There is no engraving; the medallion is totally blank.

griffon666
2005-04-29, 02:24 PM
Elthan

Since I'm still concentrating on my detect magic spell, I aim it at the totally blank disc to see if it still radiates magic.

sacreddeamon
2005-04-29, 09:39 PM
Thokk

"perhaps its power has been all used up..."

Dr._Bob
2005-04-30, 10:49 AM
Indeed, as suspected by Thokk, the now-featureless copper disc has no magical aura.

OOC: If we can wrap up the distribution of items IC, we can move on. Please let me know exactly which items your character claims. The rest will be sold I assume.

So far I have Thokk claiming the amulet of natural armor, the brooch of shielding, and the elemental (water) gem, and Fizahn claiming the cloak of elvenkind, the ring of feather fall, and the +2 dagger.

sacreddeamon
2005-04-30, 03:54 PM
OOC: Scatter the coins between our resident wizards so they can do something if their magic gets used up.

Erikkin
2005-05-01, 12:31 PM
Fizahn:

"Okay, so, logically, if I drop this coin, two gnomes, similar to the ones depicted in the drawing would appear... Why not give it a try?"

*Fizahn tosses the coin onto the ground, picture side up. (unless someone tells him to stop)*

Dr._Bob
2005-05-01, 02:39 PM
Fizahn chooses a coin with two small humanoids drawn on it, then drops it on the floor.

The coin bounces a couple of times, then rolls to rest at Thokk's feet.

Nothing seems to happen. There is an awkward silence as you wait for something, anything, to appear. Nothing does.

Someone giggles.

sacreddeamon
2005-05-01, 03:04 PM
Thokk

"Who laughed?"

*looks at the coin to see if the picture is still there*

Erikkin
2005-05-02, 06:58 AM
Fizahn:

"Did it land picture side up? Elthan, is it still radiating an illusion aura?"

Dr._Bob
2005-05-02, 10:22 AM
The coin had landed picture side up (two small humanoids), but now the medallion is blank. Elthan can still detect faint illusion magic radiating from the disc.

Someone behind Thokk giggles again. Thokk whirls around, but now the giggling is coming from behind Elthan.

Erikkin
2005-05-02, 02:51 PM
Fizahn:

"Hmm... A ventriloquism spell... Or something similar... I can see the usefulness of summoning a harpy, but what's the point of making a giggling sound behind someone..."

*Fizahn tosses his dagger into the air and catches it while pondering the situation.*

"I suppose you could use it to make someone think someone is behind them... We need to figure out what all the coins do before we waste any more of them. Look at the back side and around the fringes for any clues as to whether it creates an illusion or a sound, such as a tiny depiction of an eye or ear, or perhaps some symbols."

sacreddeamon
2005-05-02, 06:17 PM
Thokk

*Carefully examies the disk without touching it, looking for markings and the like.*

Dr._Bob
2005-05-03, 09:30 AM
Thokk crouches down, carefully inspecting the disc without touching it. The copper disc is featureless.

Fleeting laughter can be heard as well as occasional light footsteps. A pair of voices whispers back and forth - it is hard to make out the words however.

sacreddeamon
2005-05-03, 12:50 PM
Thokk

"Ach, I really not be liking this Illusion. Methinks we should leave it alone and see how long the trick lasts."

Dr._Bob
2005-05-03, 05:25 PM
Everyone backs slowly out of the room. The whispering and giggling continue unabated for quite a while.

You decide to break for lunch, leaving the coin on the floor of the parlor. Thankfully, the sounds don't move to the dining hall.

After lunch, you quietly walk back to the doorway that leads to the adjacent parlor. At first you think that the sounds have finally faded away, but straining your ears, you realize that you can just make out faint snoring coming from the room ...

sacreddeamon
2005-05-03, 05:54 PM
Thokk

"Perhaps it is not simple ventriliquism after all, how long has the coin lain there?"

Erikkin
2005-05-03, 06:10 PM
Fizahn:

"Okay, okay, do I have to do everything around here? I'm going in to check it out, stay here and be quiet."

*Fizahn carefully stalks to the door, easing it open as quietly as possible.*

OOC: Move silently, +9.

griffon666
2005-05-03, 09:29 PM
Elthan:

Elthan looks intrigued by the sounds still being heard. "Alright, we should all carfully examine the room, but be on your guard, we do not know what we are up against, if we are up against anything..."

OOC:You can't take 20 on a move silently, you can only take 20 when you have the time to repeat the action 20 times, and failling cannot have any negative effect.

Dr._Bob
2005-05-05, 12:38 AM
Fizahn sneaks into the room, stepping over the blank copper coin. He follows the noise of the snoring over to a small chaise. Looking down he can see two faint depressions in the cushion. The snoring continues, though no creatures are visible.

OOC: It has been over an hour since the noises first began.

sacreddeamon
2005-05-05, 10:18 AM
Thokk

*Whispering very quietly*

"We Laddie, do you see anything?"

Erikkin
2005-05-05, 05:20 PM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn scratches his head for a second, before deciding on his course of action. He grabs one of the imprints on the cushions, and attempts to hold it there if he feels anything, calling to the others.*

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-05-05, 07:41 PM
Linda the White

Linda is still interested in learning about this new magic but as her listening and sneaking skills are not that high she lets the rogue sort it.
Hmm, perhaps we should ask master Oden of this.
She goes to Oden and asks in a wisper so as not to foil Fizahn's attempt to skean on the sound.

Master Oden, do you know of this magic? I have not seen it before. Then again, I've never seen much of anything...

OOC: Sorry, been busy for some time.

sacreddeamon
2005-05-05, 08:43 PM
[b]Thokk[/b

*Stands in a Doorways and tries to stay low to the groud, covering as much area as possible and blocking the door. Whispering:*

"Ach, now one be a good time to use the acursed ability of the damn drow, their Faerie Fire, to find this mystery creature"

McMouse
2005-05-05, 10:43 PM
Taern

Taern gets up from the table and sticks her head in the room once more, quickly scanning for any intuders.

"Maybe its... uhh... whatchamacallit... invibisul?"

Erikkin
2005-05-06, 07:51 AM
Fizahn:

"Taern you're a genius, why didn't I think of that? I'm just here on the chaise trying to pin down two things that I can't see, and all this time I thought they were visible!"

Dr._Bob
2005-05-06, 10:49 AM
Fizahn's hands wrap around an invisible torso. Loud cries and squeaking replace the snoring. The invisible creature wiggles and struggles, but it is no use.

Suddenly, two pixies appear (dressed in simple tunics, pointy hats, and pointy shoes), one male, one female. Fizahn is holding the male, while the female stands on the cushion, indignantly gesturing at Fizahn and making threatening movements with a miniature short bow.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-05-06, 07:18 PM
Linda the White

We do not wish to harm you. We only want to know how you got here and why. Fizahn, can you please put them down? They are so delicate-try not to harm them.

sacreddeamon
2005-05-06, 08:15 PM
Thokk

*Laughing*
"OHH HOO HOO! Little peoples caught napping after laughing at us! HA HA HA. I wonder if the lassie can even do anythign with her tiny bow."

Erikkin
2005-05-07, 08:20 AM
Fizahn:

"If I put them down, they'd just turn invisible again Linda. I don't think that that's a good idea. Elthan, or Linda, would you please check if they... Well they would after being invisible wouldn't they?"

Dr._Bob
2005-05-07, 10:54 PM
The two sprites chatter away at you in what you presume is the sylvan tongue. The female pixie actually fires a few arrows at Fizahn, but they all fortunately miss, leaving miniature arrows sticking out of the seat cushion.

Oden Homm pokes his head into the room to see what is going on. He looks down at the coin on the floor and observes Fizahn interacting with the sprites for a few moments. "Hmmm. A very interesting effect, similar to that of the cards in a Deck of Illusions ... I am sure these illusory creatures are harmless."

sacreddeamon
2005-05-07, 10:56 PM
Thokk

"Ach,but if they are harmless, how is Fizan actually holding it? They must be solid Illusions, and hence real! Ach, this is why I be hatin' them. Let me see just how real the are!"

*Thokk runs over, picks up an arrow in the cushin, and tries to jab himself in the arm*

Dr._Bob
2005-05-07, 11:13 PM
The miniature arrows dissolve into glittery dust when Thokk tries to jab himself with them.

Oden rubs his chin. "They are merely figments, Sir Thokk, and have no ability to cause you harm."

At almost that exact moment, Fizahn squeezes the male pixie just a bit too hard, causing him to dissolve into a burst of sparkles, leaving only the female pixie, who redoubles her chattering, horrified at the "death" of her mate.

McMouse
2005-05-08, 03:08 AM
Taern

*Excited at the possibilities, Taern quickly goes to shift through the stack of coins*

"Oh, wow! Is there a dragon? That'd be amazing, I've always wanted a dragon..."

*She stops and turns around*

"Say, how long do they last? It's not much good to me if my dragon only lasts a few hours..."

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-05-08, 09:10 AM
Linda the White

They seem to last for several hours-perhaps they're even permanent. Until you pick up the coin that is. I am grateful they were just illusions and not shadows-shadows are a sort of illusion that can really harm you.

sacreddeamon
2005-05-08, 10:11 AM
Thokk

"Ha, these really are interesting..."

OOC: How many disks are there, and what do they have on them?

Erikkin
2005-05-08, 02:04 PM
Fizahn:

"Yeah, and as long as we don't tell anyone that they're harmless, they should be worth a lot more!"

Dr._Bob
2005-05-08, 10:01 PM
There are 28 copper discs remaining in the box.

The stick figures are mostly humanoid, some solitary, some in groups, some with weapons or exaggerated body features. Some engravings appear to be representations of horns or serpents or wings or claws. It is hard to predict exactly what illusion any given disc might produce.

sacreddeamon
2005-05-09, 11:35 AM
Thokk

"This could be usefull lads....Regardless, we have hung around long enough. We have to find Sarloc's kin and warn him, now"

Dr._Bob
2005-05-09, 03:40 PM
Elthan's research has turned up a few possible leads.

First of all, Sarloc indeed had a son that survived him. It has been many generations since Sarloc and Sethra fought in the underground crypt, but it is possible that a great, great, great, great (etc) descendant survives. If so, Sarloc's heir would be in great danger from the newly awakened Sethra/Graevic. Sarloc's family originally hailed from the Unapproachable East. Elthan's research suggests that Thesk or Aglarond might be a reasonable place to start looking for the heir, but those countries lie many leagues away across the Sea of Fallen Stars. A divination might help pinpoint the heir's location, but a divination plus travel across the sea would be an expensive proposition.

A second possibility is that Sethra/Graevic is not yet at full power, and might be holed up temporarily trying to restore himself before going on the hunt for any living descendants of Sarloc. Elthan has found out that Sethra's primary base of operations used to be a hidden tower deep in the Orsraun Mountains. That tower was reportedly destroyed by Sarloc and his band of adventurers before Sethra retreated to the barrows in the Wetwood. If Sethra/Graevic is there and if the ruined tower can be found, then the whole "vengeance unleashed" business can be nipped in the bud without any need to track down any of Sarloc's descendants.

Finally, there is always the possibility that Sarloc never left the Wetwoods. Aholoh has revealed to Fizahn that Graevic built several shelters in the Wetwoods that he used whenever he was in the area. Conceivably, Sethra might be taking advantage of the druidic information in Graevic's mind to use the Wetwoods as a hiding place while he regains his strength.

OOC: Last chance to claim any of the items recovered from the barrows. The next time I post, I will report the amount of GP the group has to divvy up assuming that any unclaimed items have been sold for the best possible price.

sacreddeamon
2005-05-09, 08:17 PM
Thokk

"Ach lads, I say we venture into the shelters young Galvic had made. They are the closest, and if nothing we have destoryed possible resting places for him"

OOC: I got all the items I need. Again, does the water gem do anything special that we know of?

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-05-10, 03:23 AM
Linda thinks for a moment then agrees with Thokk
Yes, this would be the easiest option-but would it be the wisest? I do not know. But I do know we're not ready to travel till Aglarond or face Sethra again yet. So Thokk's choice does seem the wisest as well. Let's go.

McMouse
2005-05-10, 09:55 AM
Taern Torminson

Yeah, that's right. Besides, he couldn'ta gone far, I almost crushed him to death.

*Taern mutters under her breath, then speaks to the group again*

I'll go get my stuff ready.

Dr._Bob
2005-05-10, 07:14 PM
Using some of Oden Homm's connections, you were able to sell the unwanted equipment (the bracers of armor, the gauntlets of archery, the adamantium breastplate, and the magic chainmail) for gold and gems worth 12,000 gp.

Those items were "fairly" gained (not grave stealing), so I assume that each of you will accept a share. If you reserve one share for Graevic, then each of you receives 2000 gp.

OOC: Before heading back out to the Wetwoods, I will give everyone this one chance to equip their character for the next part of the adventure. Please post in the OOC thread or PM me exactly what items your character would like to purchase. Once you head out to the Wetwood, no more items can be added to your character sheets.

sacreddeamon
2005-05-10, 07:37 PM
Thokk
"Ach, I be ready to head out into the wetlands"

OOC: Umm, didnt Linda want the Bracers of Armor?
Also, Can I have my Sword given a +1 as it is, due to the fact that it is already masterwork? I see no reason why it would not be, but if you say there are no people capable of enchanting it in the area...

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-05-10, 07:41 PM
OOC: yeah, right. She does still want them. Can't stay with AC 9 can she?

Dr._Bob
2005-05-10, 11:11 PM
OOC: Thokk can have his sword enchanted to +1. The cost is 2000 gp. Thokk's sheet needs to be updated to include items consumed or lost in the adventure so far (for example, the hemp rope that Graevic took).

Linda can buy bracers of armor +1 for 1000 gp or bracers of armor +2 for 4000 gp. The bracers reclaimed from the crypt have been sold already.

Erikkin
2005-05-13, 03:46 PM
Fizahn:

"I'm ready to head back also, but remember that Aholoh is guiding us, so we have to take care of him. If we find Sethra in one of the shelters and he kills the badger, then he can move to one of the other shelters without having to worry about us finding him."

sacreddeamon
2005-05-13, 10:17 PM
Thokk

"Any creature that likes to live underground is a friend of mine. Lead on, wee badger"

Erikkin
2005-05-14, 07:43 AM
Fizahn:

"What about drow, dwarf? Making friends with all those dark elf creatures now? Hey, giants, are you ready to go?"

McMouse
2005-05-14, 01:13 PM
Taern Torminson

Giants?! Where?!

Dr._Bob
2005-05-14, 07:54 PM
Your group sets out for the Wetwoods a day after Highharvestide. Elthan decides to stay behind to do a little bit more research on Sethra and Sarloc.

The party consists of Thokk, Fizahn, Taern, and Linda. Aholoh sits in front of Fizahn on his riding pony leading the way.

Aholoh leads you back past where you first encountered the black dragon, but angles away from the barrows and instead penetrates deeper into the Wetwood. The scraggly brush and twisted shrubs grow taller and thick willows soon tower over you. Although the day is sunny and clear, the tall trees begin to block the sunlight, casting a cheerless gloom on the boggy forest floor.

The trail Aholoh indicates is firm enough to provide good footing for your mounts, but as you ride, you can see water and cattails just yards away.

It is almost noon by the time you reach a small clearing, deep in the Wetwoods. In the center of the clearing is a small one room bungalow with a thatch roof and a mud daub chimney. Aholoh indicates that this is one of the retreats Graevic used to use during his journeys out in the wilderness.

You dismount at the edge of the clearing, still in the shadow of the Wetwood willows. The clearing itself is brightly lit. All is quiet. No smoke emanates from the chimney. In fact, the whole place seems quite deserted.

McMouse
2005-05-14, 09:55 PM
Taern Torminson

*Taern hops off her pony, glances around, and shrugs.*

Sure doesnt look like he's here now...

sacreddeamon
2005-05-15, 02:08 PM
Thokk

"I agree with you lassie, it looks quite empty."

*Turns of Fizan*

"Can you sneak up and look inside? Ill cover you lad"

*Pulls out bow and readies an action to shoot*

Erikkin
2005-05-15, 07:07 PM
Fizahn:

"Easy dwarf, you couldn't even hear me if you strained your ears."

*Fizahn begins to quietly stalk toward the hut, "Gnomish short sword" at the ready.*

Dr._Bob
2005-05-15, 08:37 PM
Fizahn slips into the clearing, keeping low and moving quietly. The underbrush soon swallows him up. Only subtle movements of the brush reveal that Fizahn is making his way closer and closer to the quiet hut.

The clearing is otherwise incredibly still. It strikes you that it is almost TOO quiet. No birds are singing, no frogs croaking, no locusts chirping.

Thokk readies his bow. Taern and Linda stand next to him waiting for a signal from Fizahn.

EDIT:

I PM'd the following to Erikkin:

Fizahn slips closer and closer to the hut. The brush is tall enough to hide him from anyone who might be watching.

When Fizahn has covered 50 yards, he finds himself facing the entrance to the hut. The brush has been cleared in a 30 ft radius around the hut. Fizahn is still hidden by the brush, but if he approaches the hut, he will be exposed.

The door is slightly ajar. There are no sounds from inside

Erikkin replied:

Fizahn will carefully circle around the hut, looking for an area to approach that does not have a window.

sacreddeamon
2005-05-16, 09:02 AM
Thokk
*Whispers*
"May the light of the forge illuminate your way"

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-05-17, 01:46 PM
Linda,not yet confiden with her newest spell, gets her hands in casting position ready to cast one of her magic missiles in any enemy appearing.

Dr._Bob
2005-05-17, 04:56 PM
Long minutes pass as you wait for a sign from Fizahn.

You can't help wondering what is taking the little gnome so long ...

EDIT:

PM sent to Erikkin:

Fizahn circles around toward the back of the hut, then crosses the cleared area in a "blind spot".

Edging around the walls of the hut, he nears the doorway avoiding the two small windows.

As he gets close to the doorway (ajar), he begins to hear buzzing, and a foul smell greets his nostrils.

Erikkin's reply:

Fizahn gets on his belly and tries to look through the opening in the door, tensing his muscles to spring back up and shout if anything goes wrong, and thinking to himself that something died there recently.

McMouse
2005-05-17, 07:20 PM
*Cautiously readies a spear to throw, scanning the brush*

Dr._Bob
2005-05-17, 08:49 PM
Things remain quiet ... a little too quiet. Fizahn really should have checked in by now, you think to yourselves.

EDIT:

PM sent to Erikkin:

Fizahn peers into the hut, blinking to try to adjust to the darkness inside. A simple wooden table sits in the center of the room. Three humanoids sit silently at the table, their heads bowed. The stench is stronger now, as is the buzzing.

Erikkin replied "in character":

I don't like the looks of this. I'd better report what I've seen to the group and ask Aholoh about any of Graevic's friends.

*Fizahn crawls back to the area where he approached, and silently walks back toward the grass, going to check in with the party.*

sacreddeamon
2005-05-17, 09:50 PM
Thokk
*Quietly*
"I really dont like this. The little lad should have checked in by now. I am going to give him a few more minutes, and then, by Moradins hammer, I am going to charge that place"

Dr._Bob
2005-05-18, 05:08 PM
The three of you (Thokk, Taern, and Linda) hear some soft rustling as something small makes its way towards you from the direction of the hut, causing the long grass to sway subtly.

sacreddeamon
2005-05-18, 06:20 PM
Thokk

*Puts away Bow and draws sword, ready to strike if anything shoudl jump out of the grass*

"Laddie, be that you?"

Erikkin
2005-05-18, 07:53 PM
Fizahn:

"I'm not too sure Thokk, it might not be me, but it could very well be. I'd weigh the probabilities in your situation. I was sent to gather information and relay it back to you, so lets say that's 80%. So, eight out of ten times, it will be me, but you can never be too sure when the other two will happen."

sacreddeamon
2005-05-18, 08:17 PM
Thokk

*Turns to Taern*
"Lass, hes just confusing you, dont attack"

*To Fizan*
"What took so long? You worried us. What did you find lad?"

McMouse
2005-05-19, 01:26 AM
Taern Torminson

*Taern lowers her spear with a worried look*

Wait.. what would you be the other two out of ten times when you're not you?

Erikkin
2005-05-19, 07:01 AM
Fizahn:

"Thokk, stealth is an art that cannot be rushed. Had I sped it up, I might have been captured or killed. What I found might have been Sethra, but it might not have been. There were three gnome-oids in the hut and from the smell of things and all the flies, I believe that there was at least one rotting carcass there as well."

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-05-19, 03:00 PM
Linda the White

Could you please describe them to us Fizahn? I mean, everything you saw-even details that do not look important-for they may well be. Did they look dangerous?

Erikkin
2005-05-20, 06:54 AM
Fizahn:

"They were sitting at a table with bowed heads, and it was dark in the hut. They'd cleared the grass out of the area around the hut, so if you tried sneaking up, they could see you."

*Fizahn looks around for the badger.*

"Now I need to speak to Aholoh. They could just be Graevic's friends or something..."

Dr._Bob
2005-05-20, 10:31 PM
Aholoh offers no insights. Graevic generally travelled alone.

The clearing remains deathly still. High in the sky, a few buzzards circle but keep their distance.

Erikkin
2005-05-21, 10:27 AM
Fizahn:

"Usually travelled alone eh... I think we've found Sethra, a couple of his henchmen, or someone out for Graevic. I think we should deal with them..."

*Fizahn draws his "short sword," and makes a slashing movement with it.*

"I think I should sneak back there, and watch to see what they do if they hear you charging."

Dr._Bob
2005-05-21, 03:28 PM
Fizahn slips back into the underbrush and makes his way to the opposite side of the bungalow's "yard" so that he has an unobstructed vantage point of the hut's doorway. When he is in position, he whistles like a bird to signal that he is ready.

Linda, Thokk, and Taern stand at the edge of the clearing, still hidden in the shadow of the willow trees. The hut is 60 yards away.

OOC: I edited my previous posts to include the PM's Erikkin and I exchanged.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-05-21, 03:33 PM
Linda the White

I have an idea. If they are real gnomes, perhaps they would react favorably to another gnome? I can use my magic to appear as one-a wasted effort if they too are Sethra's illusions but perhaps a good bet if they are real gnomes? But we should go in hiding anyway-in case this is one of Sethra's traps.

OOC: Linda uses disguise self to look like a female gnome

Dr._Bob
2005-05-21, 04:02 PM
Linda uses a glamer to change her appearance.

To Thokk and Taern, she appears to metamorph from a statuesque 6 ft tall amazon with long straight white hair down to a 5 ft tall perky brunette with mischievous eyes.

The effect is that of either the world's tallest gnomette or just a regular short human female.

McMouse
2005-05-21, 08:33 PM
*chuckles*

You're quite a large gnome, I see.

How about if we hear battle, or screams, or other noises, we go in and start killing things. Otherwise we wait for you to call us in.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-05-21, 08:42 PM
Linda the White

Hmm, didn't work as expected. But the idea was not to infiltrate the gnome camp anyway-the illusion will not cover my voice. What I had in mind is me approaching in the open while you being right ahead trying to sneak in. I'd draw their attention and sneaking in would be much easier for you. And, I have to admit, I am not very capable at combat situations on my own-if things turned ugly an arrow or two could fell me before you even heard my call.

Erikkin
2005-05-22, 10:52 AM
Fizahn:

What's taking them so long? I gave them very simple instructions that even Taern could follow...

OOC: For future reference, when Fizahn says gnome-oid, it means humanoid, so they aren't exactly gnomes or short creatures.

Dr._Bob
2005-05-22, 02:38 PM
After hearing Fizahn's bird call, Thokk begins to march towards the hut, sword drawn, making no attempt to move stealthily. He doesn't wait to see if Linda and Taern plan to follow him or not.

Fizahn waits with bated breath to see if there is any reaction from the three "gnome-oids" in the bungalow ...

sacreddeamon
2005-05-22, 03:05 PM
Thokk

"Ha, lads, there is no need for fancy plans. If they are hostile, then just slay the lot of them!"

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-05-22, 06:57 PM
Linda the White

Linda sighs, rolls her eyes and reluctantly follows Thokk.

McMouse
2005-05-22, 08:07 PM
*shrugs* Okay.

*Draws her falchion and starts forward*

Dr._Bob
2005-05-22, 09:02 PM
The three of you move forward in a wedge formation - Thokk at the point, Linda and Taern flanking him to either side.

In only a few moments, the three of you are standing in the cleared area surrounding the hut. The only door is slightly ajar.

A slight wiggle in the brush tells you where Fizahn is hiding out of sight.

All remains quiet.

sacreddeamon
2005-05-23, 11:47 AM
Thokk

*Shouting*

"OI! Whoever is in there, Come out!"

OOC: Ready an action to swing should anything hostile come out

Dr._Bob
2005-05-23, 11:05 PM
In the distance, you hear a cricket chirp twice. Otherwise, all remains silent and still.

sacreddeamon
2005-05-24, 11:35 AM
Thokk

"Ach, this is slightly worrisome..."

*Creeps closer to the door, all the while ready to strike*

Erikkin
2005-05-24, 02:52 PM
Fizahn:

*An exhausted groan comes from the grasses, and Fizahn, positioned behind the hut, I assume, emerges from hiding, and heads toward the group.*

"There wasn't supposed to be any threats!! You were just supposed to barge straight in, and see what was in there!! Any warning gave them time for a teleportation spell or something of that nature!! Do you not know what charging means?"

*Fizahn heads toward the door to open it.*

OOC: The way I pictured it in my head, Fizahn would be at the hut, peering through the crack in the door. Guess I should be more specific with my actions next time, huh?

Dr._Bob
2005-05-24, 08:44 PM
When Fizahn pushes open the door, the four of you are almost bowled over by the foul stench emanating from inside.

The light spilling into the one room hut reveals three humanoids sitting, hunched over a large table. Flies buzz around them. The table and surrounding floor are stained black with congealed blood.

You hesitate at the entrance. No one is eager to enter what looks like a charnel house.

Erikkin
2005-05-25, 06:56 AM
Fizahn:

"Linda, check for magic. I'll look for traps or anything suspicious around the immediate entrance, and then, well..."

*Fizahn tosses his dagger in the air and nervously catches it, before crouching low to the ground and examining the ground just inside the door.*

Dr._Bob
2005-05-25, 09:44 PM
It only takes a moment for Linda to sense a general aura of necromancy about the place.

Fizahn examines the threshold carefully and notes scrapes and a blood trail entering the hut from the outside.

McMouse
2005-05-26, 12:53 AM
Taern Torminson

Ugh. That's disgusting.

*Taern warily circles the house, falchion at the ready, looking for anything else obviously amiss*

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-05-26, 04:50 AM
Linda the White

Wait! Taern, Thokk, chop off the dead gnome's heads. Now. These might be dead but not dead.
says Linda and slowly walks behind Thokk and Taern.

Dr._Bob
2005-05-26, 02:21 PM
Taern circles the hut. Other than the single door and a couple small windows, there is nothing remarkable on the outside of the little shelter.

Linda advises decapitating the bodies inside, but lingers behind, reluctant to get close to the doorway.

OOC: Who will be the first to enter the room?

Erikkin
2005-05-26, 10:25 PM
Fizahn:

"They aren't gnomes, no gnome would be stupid enough to get himself killed in whatever manner they got killed in. They resemble gnomes in basic body structure, but are bigger, so they're gnome-oids. I don't have a weapon of suitable properties enabling it to chop off heads with the haste required in this situation. I think it unlikely that Taern would desecrate the dead. Thokk, you're going to have to complete the vile task."

*Fizahn steps out of the doorway and motions Thokk forward.*

Dr._Bob
2005-05-27, 11:01 AM
Thokk shrugs his shoulders and steps into the hut, his bastard sword and shield at the ready.

He tries to use the edge of the shield to cover his nose. The stench of rotting flesh is almost unbearable and the buzzing from a cloud of black flies is deafening.

As he edges towards the bodies sitting at the table, he notices that all three of the humanoids are cloaked, obscuring their faces, but he also sees that all three of them have long green tails ...

He rears back to decapitate the closest creature, when suddenly the door slams shut and the entire room is plunged into unnatural darkness.

OOC: Taern, Fizahn, and Linda are outside. Thokk is inside.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-05-27, 02:33 PM
Linda the White
Without losing any time, Linda sends a ray of fire a the (persumably) wooden door of the hut to open up an escape route for Thokk or room for Taern and Fizahn to help him if he can't get out.

OOC: Scorching Ray at the door (I hope it is wooden)

Erikkin
2005-05-27, 05:49 PM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn begins hacking and prodding the side of the hut with his rapier trying to force a way in.*

OOC: Gonna be gone this weekend, including Monday, please NPC Fizahn.

Dr._Bob
2005-05-28, 09:03 AM
Linda blasts the door with a scorching ray of fire. The door explodes into small charred bits of wood. Through the open doorway you can hear the sounds of battle (and Thokk cursing), but all is pitch black inside.

Fizahn pokes at the walls of the hut ineffectively, but he eyes one of the small windows. They are not shuttered, and he could probably squeeze through if he wanted to.

McMouse
2005-05-29, 02:31 AM
Taern, not waiting for the smoke to clear, charges forward into the darkness, falchion still gripped tightly in two hands.

"By leaf and thorn! Thokk, are you okay?!"

EDIT: Move into the hut, then hold my action looking for other combattants

sacreddeamon
2005-05-29, 11:56 PM
Thokk

*Swearing loudly*

"ACH, DAMN BEASTIES!"

Erikkin
2005-05-30, 12:17 PM
Fizahn:

"Ha, door's open now. I don't need the window."

*Fizahn grabs his everburning torch from his pack, and follows Taern into the darkness, "short sword" ready.*

Dr._Bob
2005-05-31, 07:48 PM
Thokk lashes out immediately as soon as the darkness falls. He chops deeply into one of the bodies with a satisfying thunk!

Horrifyingly, the three bodies come to life, lurching up from the table. They seem to move in slow motion, but even through the magical shadows, Thokk can see them raising large clubs with their rotting arms.

A loud explosion blasts the door off of its hinges, but the flash of fire does little to illuminate the gloom.

Thokk slashes again, with a curse. Again, he cuts deeply but bloodlessly. The mindless zombies pound Thokk with their clubs again and again, but their weapons prove ineffective against his armor and shield, only bruising him slightly.

Taern and Fizahn edge into the darkness. Their eyes are keen, but they still have trouble penetrating the gloom. All they can make out are shadowy figures locked in combat - three are tall (at least 7 feet), one appears to be much shorter.

OOC: Let's try posting actions in the IC thread, instead of the OOC thread this time.

Initiative

Fizahn 16 (13 + 3)
Thokk 15 (9 + 6)
Linda 15 (15 + 0)
Taern 3 (2 + 1)

Current HP

Thokk 36 (43 - 7)